Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 03-04-2016, 03:37 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Chronicles is already out? Haven't read any of the ''spoilery'' bits.

How is it compared to the UVG and how much of it is just transcripts from WoWpedia?
Is out for reviewers. It's a real lore book.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:41 AM

Elune

Quote:
Chronicles is already out? Haven't read any of the ''spoilery'' bits.

How is it compared to the UVG and how much of it is just transcripts from WoWpedia?
It's a really professional production with a ton of history explanation and new lore.

I'm not particularly fond of its developments, though a lot of people here are still super-stoked (with the conditional exception of one thing in the metaphysics), so Your Mileage May Vary.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:48 AM

Elune

That sounds hopeful. I think I'll buy it afterall.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:54 AM

Eternal

Quote:
That sounds hopeful. I think I'll buy it afterall.
It is like this. It is a well thought (it is apparent some effort went into it) and quite well written work that finally provides a cohesive look on Warcraft. However, it is also sort of a reinvention of the franchise. So, if you will be able to take it open minded and without clinging to the older interpretations, you will enjoy it, perhaps even love it. If not, it will make you either sad or angry.
Old 03-04-2016, 03:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I don't mind the franchise being reinvented, what I worry about is whether they can hold strong to this reinvention and not run into anymore writing blunders.
Old 03-04-2016, 05:10 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I don't mind the franchise being reinvented, what I worry about is whether they can hold strong to this reinvention and not run into anymore writing blunders.
Old 03-05-2016, 03:45 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3)

If I recall correctly, Chronicle Vol. 1 states that night elves were tied to the Emerald Dream by Ysera, allowing them to enter it more easily, right? Could this blessing also be the reason why night elves turn into nature/forest spirits upon dying?

Tied tightly enough to gain a form of immortality but not strong enough to reform, like the Wild Gods?

(Also, Blizzard needs to decide whether it wants night elves to be members of the nature-wilds-fey alliance and druidism to be night elf centric, or not. It makes no sense for night elves to be so tied to nature but not reap any benefits, like actually being the allies of other nature-folk.)
Old 03-05-2016, 01:33 PM

Eternal

So, the Un'Goro pylons. Lorewise they're more like the size of the ones in Sholazar, yeah?

The VoEB is also really different from the other two living labs. It still has some Well water in it and has no pylons or crystals. Wonder why.
Old 03-05-2016, 01:37 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratatosk View Post
So, the Un'Goro pylons. Lorewise they're more like the size of the ones in Sholazar, yeah?
Huh?

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 03-05-2016, 01:37 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Huh?
Sholazar's four giant pillars compared to Un'Goro's four dinky pylons always felt like a silly thing. They're meant to be the same thing aren't they?
Old 03-06-2016, 12:52 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/20742645013

While I think this is totally reasonable, let's see how many people freak out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 03-06-2016, 12:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

Can't say I'm surprised. Warcraft 1 was a long time ago. With them making the Durotan novel prequel and the comic they are really expanding the movie version of Warcraft.

I recall at some point that was mentioned if they ever did a WoW 2 it would be an alternate universe. They could use the movie universe. But I don't think that would be for many years.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:00 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post

Really the people who freak out about that tend to be those who think this means the movie supplants the original lore in-game because they either aren't paying attention or don't read comics, and therefore don't realize what his use of "Ultimate" in this context actually means.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:26 PM

Night Elf Icon (War3) Let's try this again.

Was the reason why night elves turn into wisps upon death ever explained? I can't remember.

If it was, could someone refresh my memory?

If it wasn't, why do you think that is? It clearly has something to do with their connection to nature, but if you had to pinpoint it, what would the reason be, according to you?

Given that Ysera's blessing of Nordrassil connected night elves to the Emerald Dream, allowing night elven druids to enter it more easily, and that the Wild Gods, who're tied to it even more closely, can reform in the Emerald Dream, I'm currently leaning towards night elves being immortal in a similar manner; instead of being able to reform they go to the ED upon death and can return as nature spirits.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Was the reason why night elves turn into wisps upon death ever explained? I can't remember.

If it wasn't, why do you think that is? It clearly has something to do with their connection to nature, but if you had to pinpoint it, what would the reason be, according to you?

Given that Ysera's blessing of Nordrassil connected night elves to the Emerald Dream, allowing night elven druids to enter it more easily, and that the Wild Gods, who're tied to it even more closely, can reform in the Emerald Dream, I'm currently leaning towards night elves being immortal in a similar manner; instead of being able to reform they go to the ED upon death and can return as nature spirits.
I don't recall an explanation but the Nordrassil blessing would make sense. I mean, think of all the times we've see Night Elf ghosts instead of Night Elf Wisps. The only examples I can think of are people who died pre-Nordrassil.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:28 PM

Elune

Wouldn't that effect have ended upon the end of the battle of mount hyjal though?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

That would make sense. Then all the Banshees like in Winterspring or pre-cata Darkshore and in Broken Isles can be explained as happening before they were linked.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Wouldn't that effect have ended upon the end of the battle of mount hyjal though?
Lucan Foxblood was tied to the ED by having grown up in it, so maybe being tied to it far longer than a human lifetime made the connection between the elves and the ED a permanent thing?

Didn't she also bless Teldrassil, which might have renewed it for younger generations?

Finally, isn't Nordrassil healed? From... Cataclysm and that one wedding?
Old 03-06-2016, 01:35 PM

Eternal

Ysera only blessed Teldrassil in Stormrage, the point of it before then was Fandral went ahead without asking and so the Aspects refused to bless it.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:38 PM

Quote:
Ysera only blessed Teldrassil in Stormrage, the point of it before then was Fandral went ahead without asking and so the Aspects refused to bless it.
Yeah, I know.
Old 03-06-2016, 01:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
I don't recall an explanation but the Nordrassil blessing would make sense. I mean, think of all the times we've see Night Elf ghosts instead of Night Elf Wisps. The only examples I can think of are people who died pre-Nordrassil.
The way I see it, wisps are night elves who have passed on properly, and were transformed. Night elf ghosts and banshees did not, and so they retain a semblance of their identity.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:10 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Rebuilding the Final Titan:

Is this about healing Azeroth and bringing the birth to fruition? Could it have something to do with rebuilding Aman'Thul? If even a fragment of his soul is still around, maybe we do something with that.
Old 03-08-2016, 09:33 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: DeadHank#1975

Quote:
Originally Posted by HackBenjamin View Post
Rebuilding the Final Titan:

Is this about healing Azeroth and bringing the birth to fruition? Could it have something to do with rebuilding Aman'Thul? If even a fragment of his soul is still around, maybe we do something with that.
Yeah that "rebuild the final titan" is WAY more clear now we know we have a titan soul in Azeroth.

I wonder if in the end Azeroth will be a titan birthed from this soul or this soul will be the way to recreate the Pantheon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by General Nazgrim
Ah... you have learned much... and learned well... an honorable battle.
In the end, I stood by the warchief, because it was my duty, and I am glad that it was you who struck me down.
May your strength... lead the horde... into a new era of prosperity...
Old 03-09-2016, 05:38 PM

Eternal

I wonder if Tirisfal was dark and spooky because of Zakajz, not the Scourge.
Old 03-09-2016, 05:40 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
I wonder if Tirisfal was dark and spooky because of Zakajz, not the Scourge.
If that's true, then maybe the Forsaken are the way they are for the same reason.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Tags
go'el's gaol, high elf menopause, lore, lorebat, random, tubers, warcraft, world of warcraft