Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-08-2017, 05:48 AM

Mountain Giant

Default [Speculation] How the Void Elves Will be Exiled

This is some speculation on how the void elves will be exiled. There are a lot of theories that void elves went mad in Silvermoon and that is why they were banished. However, I do not think it is that simple.

Why Silvermoon didn't exile the void elves because of fears of corruption
Silvermoon has used shadow magic to control it's populace since the Burning Crusade. We see it in the Bazaar; a magister summoned by other magisters, whom then mind controls the people on the stand arguing against Silvermoon's public decisions. It's a mental censorship.

Silvermoon didn't think that void magic was icky or too unpredictable. They've been using shadow magic for as long as Rommath has been in Azeroth to control the population. However, Lor'themar enforces a political moderate. Those who used magic to siphon too much and became addicted were exiled. Those who thought that siphoning magic was evil were exiled as well. And Kael'thas' forces were yet another extreme.

Void magic itself is not the problem. Lor'themar and the magisters don't fear void magic because it's different. There is a different reason.

Option 1: The Government's Monopoly on Void Magic
Void magic, as explained in A Thousand Years of War, can only be wielded by those who can separate lies from truth. "The void seeks all possible paths and sees them all as true," quote the Locus Walker. Alleria Windrunner learned to separate what the void wanted, what the void said and what the void didn't know was the truth. The void itself does not understand 'truth'. It accepts everything as truth and it cannot comprehend that Alleria's love for her own son and her intense desire to see him safe is close to unquestionable. So any vision that the void shows where Alleria kills her own son must be false.

In this vein, void magic grants a kind of prescience and it demands the ability to separate lies from the truth. If there have been blood elf citizens have been brainwashed since the Burning Crusade and void magic came in common use, then those void users might unveil the magister's conspiracy and reveal everything that had been hidden from the citizens until then.

Option 2: To Preserve the Blood Knight's Image as Enforcers
Alternatively, there is another thing that we discover in A Thousand Years of War. When people blessed/enslaved by the Light touch those whom have given themselves over to the void, they receive a kind of static shock or blast. It wracks them both with pain. So what if a void elf, a normal citizen, just someone who practices void magic as a hobby or as a curiosity is touched by a blood knight and that blood knight is put out of commision; that would reflect very badly upon the blood knights.

This doesn't have to happen intentionally. Maybe the incident happens between two friends. A hedge mage learning void magic in his spare time gets a slap over his back by his blood knight friend, only for the two to be blasted apart. Other blood knights attempt to capture the hedge mage, with similar results, until a magisters steps in to place arcane shackles upon the hedge mage.

Liadrin and the Naaru are horrified and Liadrin suggests that the void elves be banished if not outright killed if this is what they do to blood knights. Meanwhile, Lor'themar worries that this makes the blood knights look weak, but he doesn't want to kill the void elves, similar to how he didn't want to kill the high elves.

To preserve the image of blood knights being in control of the city, the government would want to remove the void elves immediately.

What Will Happen In Game
So that is my prediction. The void elves don't even need to know why they are exiled. Just that they are. Maybe there's a questline that we have to go through to discover that the void elves were banished to protect Silvermoon's government rather than for actual treason. Meanwhile, in exile, void elves start to become mad in earnest and seek a proper tutor.

So when Alleria comes by and the truth is uncovered that the void elves were exiled to cover the asses of the magisters, they are probably more than happy to join the Alliance and fight against the Horde.

Thoughts?

Last edited by Sacredless; 11-08-2017 at 06:04 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 05:53 AM

Arch-Druid

they were going crazy
Old 11-08-2017, 06:44 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
they were going crazy
yea
Old 11-08-2017, 07:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
yea
it says it the official page was going crazy and alleria saved them
Old 11-08-2017, 07:09 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
it says it the official page was going crazy and alleria saved them
This is what it says;

"Many have sought to harness the corruptive magic of the Void. Most who tried have fallen into madness. Determined to use this power for the good of Azeroth, Alleria Windrunner is the first mortal to succeed at defying the shadow's whispers. Coming to the aid of a group of her kin who nearly gave in to the darkness, Alleria has vowed to train these Void Elves to control the shadows within them and pledge their newfound powers to the Alliance."

Notice how, in that paragraph, nothing is mentioned about the exile, so there is nothing which says that it's void elves going insane that is the cause of their exile. We know about their exile from other sources.
Old 11-08-2017, 07:17 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Probably some elves see Alleria and think that shadow stuff is baller, use it themselves and get punted out of silvermoon, Alleria comes back and saves them.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 11-08-2017, 07:35 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sacredless View Post
Notice how, in that paragraph, nothing is mentioned about the exile, so there is nothing which says that it's void elves going insane that is the cause of their exile. We know about their exile from other sources.
Seeing as how she "vowed to train them to control it", I think they might just be having trouble controlling it. And have this oddly pale skin, similar to the Pale Orcs, suggesting physical corruption. Not even the regular members of the Twilight's Hammer show those signs.

Now, these Elves were exiled rather than executed. Could it be that Lor'themar considered their magic to be a genuine risk to the public wellbeing?
Old 11-08-2017, 08:10 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krakhed View Post
Seeing as how she "vowed to train them to control it", I think they might just be having trouble controlling it. And have this oddly pale skin, similar to the Pale Orcs, suggesting physical corruption. Not even the regular members of the Twilight's Hammer show those signs.

Now, these Elves were exiled rather than executed. Could it be that Lor'themar considered their magic to be a genuine risk to the public wellbeing?
Sure, but so could most magic, especially fel and they've not had any problem with even tailors summoning demons. My point isn't that they couldn't, though, rather that I think fears about a stable government seem more likely than yet another "they can't see how brilliant I am" story.
Old 11-08-2017, 08:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Sure, but so could most magic, especially fel and they've not had any problem with even tailors summoning demons. My point isn't that they couldn't, though, rather that I think fears about a stable government seem more likely than yet another "they can't see how brilliant I am" story.
Yes. But here's the thing. Blood Elves still have Warlocks, don't they? And Warlocks use both Fel and Void. And they presumably have some Shadow Priests somewhere.

But let's say some of those Warlocks started to grow horns. Not just an eye color change. Highly visible physical mutation involving a power that connects you to some nasty whispers and has a tendency to spread like a plague.

There's a difference between using the Void and drinking that shit in such quantities that you turn blue.

Last edited by Krakhed; 11-08-2017 at 08:33 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 08:44 AM

Eternal

I wonder if these 'void elves' are supposed to be part of the Sunfury that returned after Kael's death. They used to have some mobs in Tempest Keep that dealt with the void, some of the astromancers, I think. Would make sense that some survivors would be among those interested in experimenting(further) with the void. Since I imagine they could be seen as former traitors by some, experimenting with the void, which is now anathema to their hard fought for Sunwell, would make them seem all the more dangerous.

EDIT: The void back then wasn't what it is now, but I still think it could be a thing with some retcons.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.

Last edited by Royalpimp; 11-08-2017 at 08:49 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Yes. But here's the thing. Blood Elves still have Warlocks, don't they? And Warlocks use both Fel and Void. And they presumably have some Shadow Priests somewhere.

But let's say some of those Warlocks started to grow horns. Not just an eye color change. Highly visible physical mutation involving a power that connects you to some nasty whispers and has a tendency to spread like a plague.

There's a difference between using the Void and drinking that shit in such quantities that you turn blue.
If that is the case, then how come that it's all phrased as "about to" and "would go insane" instead of "have gone" and "have been"? It's all future tense, not past tense, as far as I've been able to see and what evidence we have suggests that any kind of corruption that would lead to physical changes would also have lead to immediate and irreperable damage to the mind.

It seems more likely to me that they were exiled before they showed any physical features and that those features came about after they were already exiled.

And you do have to ask why they weren't executed if they were going insane in the streets. After all, nothing prevents them from just coming back and assaulting the city if they were already batshit by the time they were deposited across the border. Exile assumes that they are still sentient enough to abide by such a punishment. Long enough for Silvermoon to prepare for them to try and infiltrate Quel'thalas again.

Last edited by Sacredless; 11-08-2017 at 09:26 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 09:41 AM

Arch-Druid

wot brainwashing.
wtf is this.
y.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:49 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
wot brainwashing.
wtf is this.
y.
Not sure if you're sarcastic or not, but if you visit the Bazaar (certainly during the Burning Crusade), you'd see a big crowd gathered around a stage with people speaking against certain actions of the government. A magister pops up and mindcontrols the speakers and covertly tells his colleagues that "this should keep them in check, check in with them later", or something along the lines.

THe magic used was identical to the "mind control" priest ability.
Old 11-08-2017, 09:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
If that is the case, then how come that it's all phrased as "about to" and "would go insane" instead of "have gone" and "have been"? It's all future tense, not past tense, as far as I've been able to see and what evidence we have suggests that any kind of corruption that would lead to physical changes would also have lead to immediate and irreperable damage to the mind.

It seems more likely to me that they were exiled before they showed any physical features and that those features came about after they were already exiled.

And you do have to ask why they weren't executed if they were going insane in the streets. After all, nothing prevents them from just coming back and assaulting the city if they were already batshit by the time they were deposited across the border. Exile assumes that they are still sentient enough to abide by such a punishment. Long enough for Silvermoon to prepare for them to try and infiltrate Quel'thalas again.
"About to" and "would go insane" are reason enough to forbid a practice, especially if they're already starting to turn blue. If they haven't actually harmed anyone yet, but it looks like they might in the future if things progress where it looks like it will, then it makes sense to put them far away from the general populace. That way they can continue their experimentation with the Void, but not where it'll do any harm. More a quarantine than an exile.

If they haven't done anything wrong yet, further punishment would be unnecessary.

Last edited by Krakhed; 11-08-2017 at 10:01 AM..
Old 11-08-2017, 10:21 AM

Mountain Giant

Quote:
"About to" and "would go insane" are reason enough to forbid a practice, especially if they're already starting to turn blue.
And I think it's unlikely that they start going blue before they start going insane.

Quote:
If they haven't done anything wrong yet, further punishment would be unnecessary.
Says who? And who says that the punishment is neccesary? That's the central argument that I'm making here. That the void elves weren't exiled out of punishment, but that they were pre-emptively banned and pre-emptively forbidden under false pretenses.

Not actually because they are that powerful or that insane, but because they undermine the narrative of the state that the blood knights can do no wrong and that the magisters are benevolent rather than malevolent dictators with an oppressive, insideous method of censorship.

Last edited by Sacredless; 11-08-2017 at 10:25 AM..
Old 11-23-2017, 01:00 PM

Critter

Default Void and other dark magics

I feel like this would be a good time for them to better explain the interactions of the various magics. Void, Fel, and Death are different types of magic, but in game they are more or less the same. It makes sense Light opposes Void, but why is Light extra effective against Fel and Death too? Noted by Wake of Ashes from Ashbringer and the Silver Hand buff against undead. It seems odd to me Warlocks control both fel and void - these two types of magic are not connected; death is between them. We know the Burning Legion enslaved Voidwalkers, and that is part of why some void is present, but it doesn't explain how Fel casters are using Shadow (void) magic.

Unless Shadow Magic is more of a broad term for any sort of "dark" evil magic, but void is it's own magic that we only have tapped on, just like Death Knights have only tapped the limits of Death magic. This would explain why the Light is effective against all dark magic

Void Elves introduce a chance to dig into what is Void magic, and what are its effects. Maybe digging deep into the Void is different than trifling with the edges of shadow magic

Tags
battle for azeroth, subraces