Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 04-24-2017, 08:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drusus View Post
It's official.

The Tau Empire has always been tiny, it's just that because they're a playable faction it's easy to get the impression they're a serious galactic contender when they're... really not. Well, not yet.
Oh no, I got that. it's just that I always envisioned them as being at least bigger than Macragge.
Old 04-24-2017, 08:48 AM

Elune

>there will never be a live action Gaunt's Ghosts TV series in the style of Sharpe or Band of Brothers.

Old 04-24-2017, 04:12 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

If any of you nerds are planning on pre-ordering Dawn of War III, please consider doing it through Humble Bundle and picking a good charity.
Member #14
Old 04-24-2017, 04:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
[IMG][/IMG]
That map is a nightmare to look at. Could have used better colors, borders and a legend in the corner.
Old 04-24-2017, 04:44 PM

Eternal
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Give me a solid video game based around the Blackwatch, featuring a diverse array of alien enemies without overt focus on just the playable races, and I'll allow this franchise transition.
You mean Deathwatch?
Quote:
Oh no, I got that. it's just that I always envisioned them as being at least bigger than Macragge.
They were until Guilliman took control back over the 500 worlds. Tau have 100-200 if I recall correctly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas
If any of you nerds are planning on pre-ordering Dawn of War III, please consider doing it through Humble Bundle and picking a good charity.
Nah, it looks mediocre.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Old 04-24-2017, 04:54 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
You mean Deathwatch?
The worst part was that I was reading a Deathwatch sourcebook as I wrote that.

Quote:
They were until Guilliman took control back over the 500 worlds. Tau have 100-200 if I recall correctly.
Huh, okay, the Tau are indeed a lot tinier than I thought.

Dang it, Shas'os, get your dang septs together and grab yourself some planets. The Greater Good demands it!
Old 04-24-2017, 06:00 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
>tfw I just bought my first codex a month ago.

Serves me right for not researching to see if there was going to be an update beforehand.
https://www.warhammer-community.com/...t-you-covered/

Free updates.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:58 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
Wow. That's pretty nice.
Old 04-25-2017, 04:32 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Huh, okay, the Tau are indeed a lot tinier than I thought.

Dang it, Shas'os, get your dang septs together and grab yourself some planets. The Greater Good demands it!
Eh, Tau are quite weak. They have decent technology but it's not on par with top Imperial technology and they aren't as good in naval terms. Plus now they're bordering a Warp storm, the Necron Sautekh Dynasty (which appears to be significantly larger than the Tau now) and Ultramar, none of which are pushovers. They'd struggle to expand over Damocles Gulf since it was set on super fire (at least until they fully develop technology to survive it). The Tau are no longer in a great position.
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
Old 04-25-2017, 04:54 AM

Elune

Quote:
Eh, Tau are quite weak. They have decent technology but it's not on par with top Imperial technology and they aren't as good in naval terms. Plus now they're bordering a Warp storm, the Necron Sautekh Dynasty (which appears to be significantly larger than the Tau now) and Ultramar, none of which are pushovers. They'd struggle to expand over Damocles Gulf since it was set on super fire (at least until they fully develop technology to survive it). The Tau are no longer in a great position.
Obviously, all they need to do is convince Imotekh to serve the greater good. Should be easy enough =D

But yeah, from all that, their position does seem kinda screwed.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:00 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Obviously, all they need to do is convince Imotekh to serve the greater good. Should be easy enough =D

Would be interesting if Imotekh tries to vassalise them. But I doubt it. Could do mutual enemy shenanigans. Sautekh looks quite spread and potentially vulnerable.

But of course. Grimdark! Everyone suffers! Except for the Orks. They have fun.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:57 AM

Elune

Red is faster, Black is hard, Blue is lucky, Green is Orky, Orange and Purple are obviously sneaky. Yellow and Brown, going by the clans, are flashy and traditional.

But wot would pink be?
Old 04-25-2017, 07:11 AM

Elune

Quote:

I imagine Tau's 'strength' is that there's so much bigger problems going on that nobody has a reason to really bother them. Heck, the reason the Imperial's attempt to wipe them out ended was because the crusade's forces were needed to stop the Tyranids.

If anything, the 'Gathering Storm' would be good for them since everybody - including the Necrons - will be focused on trying to beat back Abbadon.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
If anything, the 'Gathering Storm' would be good for them since everybody - including the Necrons - will be focused on trying to beat back Abbadon.
Possibly. But Chaos aren't renowned for leaving people out and the Tau are now right next to Warpy goodness. I imagine everyone is gonna be facing off against Warp-gribblies.
Old 04-25-2017, 03:05 PM

Elune

I had a weird thought. Gothic is not English. It's some kind of bastardized Latin, with some Greek and probably other stuff thrown in.

The Orkish language is written as weirdly spelled gothic. Though technically a separate language, part of the justification for this is that orks loot words as well as vehicles.

However, that means that at least part of the bastardized low-class English spoken by the orcs, would actually be double-bastardized low-class Latin.

Does that mean 'WAAAAAAGH!' would actually be pronounced as 'BEEELLLUUUMMM!"?
Old 04-25-2017, 05:23 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Forty thousand years, countless billions of kilometers and millions of planets would result in linguistic drift. Gothic would be utterly unintelligible to us, as would English be to the Imperium.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 04-26-2017, 08:44 AM

Elune

Old 04-26-2017, 08:48 AM

Elune

Footman

Rowboat Girlyman making the Imperium of Man great again! Humanity fuck yeah!
Old 04-29-2017, 09:43 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arbourean View Post
Forty thousand years, countless billions of kilometers and millions of planets would result in linguistic drift. Gothic would be utterly unintelligible to us, as would English be to the Imperium.
Eh, linguistic drift seems to not have been so severe as you'd assume. We know that common gothic from the 30th millenium and the 42nd millenium are mutually intelligible. Presumably, the requirements for having a galactic administration would slow down linguistic drift considerably. Something similar seems to have happened during the Dark Age of Technology. The post-apocalyptic nations of Earth may have had their names twisted by time, but they were still recognizable.

High Gothic at least presumably changed the least, seeing how it's an official and legal language necessary to maintain the empire. Given how it was spread by the Imperium, and the Imperium was headed by a guy that was actually around for the Roman Empire, all those pseudo-latin words we keep being given don't necessarily have to be a case of translation convention.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Interesting.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-01-2017, 04:08 AM

Eternal

Anyone else thinking they're going to go for Space Marines+? I hope they explain this new technology well but I doubt it.

I think my biggest problem with the Gathering Storm thus far has actually been Cawl. It's nice to have a member of the Adeptus Mechanicus who is loyal to the Imperium but I'm pretty sure it wasn't said that they could live for ten thousand years before. How many people from the Horus Heresy are still rocking around?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Exactly as many as the plot needs.
Old 05-01-2017, 05:35 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhardt View Post
Exactly as many as the plot needs.
But it doesn't need them! What did Cawl do that required him to have been buddies with Guilliman?
Old 05-01-2017, 07:52 AM

Priestess of the Moon

Quote:
But it doesn't need them! What did Cawl do that required him to have been buddies with Guilliman?
Well, apparently he worked on a contingency plan to get a better, newer Generation of Space Marines under Guilliman's Command, so to say, during or after the Scouring, when he was still Lord Commander and had the power to give Cawl the needed ressources and support.

I assume those plans were halted, when Guilliman was put into the stasis and Cawl lost the full support of the High Lords of Terra, who wanted to focus on keeping the Status Quo.

Yes, these will be Marines+, to some degree. But made from pure, non-degenerated Gene Tithes and original Primarch DNA.
It's quite a cool way to explain WHY Mars always stored copies, for all the past millenia - not because they just wanted to store them for funsies, but because Cawl horded them.

IF GW do this right and bring us a good in-lore explanation, I would like the biological advantages between Marines and NuMarines to be very minor.
So not really much better abilities, but rather better rates of success, less organ failures for the implants, due to purity of the genes used, and (apparently) a faster rate to induct/lab-breed new neophytes.
...so they just can be recruited much faster and more frequent than before and get "new" and slightly improved MK IX (or as some have been 'hinting' at Mk X) armor and weapons.
(The helms, so far, look close to MkIV, while the chests we have seen look similiar to new-Guillimans Armor, so reinforced like MkIII - what if Cawl just combined the best working features of each armor mark, into one "Best of" Armor Mark?)

I just hope there will be a process to bring current "regular" Marines up-to-par in the Lore, so figures like Vulkan He'stan, Dante, Calgar, Logan Grimnar - and their supposed "soon to be successors" like Ragnar Blackmane and Cato Sicarius - get 'buffed' aswell, over time.
Even if they just get a new personalized suit of the new armor. (And new PLASTIC models, for those still in Resin...)

...and there needs to be an explanation on how they get introduced into their chapter and its culture.
And I hope the Chapters do NOT loose their "defects", a la Canis Helix, Black Rage, etc.

But it's interesting to look back and see how most Main-Chapter-Worlds (Baal, Fenris, etc.) got into imminent danger of utter destruction in the last campaigns - which can now be saved by these new reinforcements.
(BTW: FENRIS ENDURES!!! *goes on to shove that into the faces of haters on Bolter&Chainsword...*)

The "Indomitus Crusade"'s Name suuuuuuurely isn't inspired by a certain creature from a dinosaur film that came into cinemas just recently...

And a continuation of the 3rd War for Armageddon is on its way aswell. Wishful thinking:

Black Templars will assemble and purge anything, not giving a damn fuck.

Salamanders will assemble (maybe find another relic of Vulkan? Now that Armageddon was Ullanor and his main battleground for the whole 'The Beast Arises' Series, there could be one laying around.) and will clash with the BT to save civilians.

Ghaz and his Allies will arrive, to reinforce the orks and fight anyone. (I could see him 'win' at the end - as far as that's possible in the 40k Universe - and reinstate Armageddon as the HQ World for all Orks, so they carve out an 'Empire' of their own. = because Armageddon was Ullanor. He'll probably become a Warchief of all Orks or somesuch. He'll probably grow to BEAST size aswell, along other Orks. New models, giving players the possibility to make Orks a bit less of a Horde Army.)

Mortarion and the Death Guard -MAY- appear aswell (or maybe they'll clash with the Ultramarines on another World in the Armageddon system, for the Scenario of the new Starter-Set).

Khorne Daemons are already confirmed to crash onto Armageddon, so Angron and his buddies, MIGHT appear later on, willing to slay anyone, be they Imperial, Orks or Chaos.
Old 05-02-2017, 08:37 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

Quote:
Originally Posted by RikuEru View Post
The "Indomitus Crusade"'s Name suuuuuuurely isn't inspired by a certain creature from a dinosaur film that came into cinemas just recently...
It's not as if that's the first time the word is used in 40k; the standard Tactical Dreadnought (aka Terminator) armour is the Indomitus pattern.

Tags
blood for the blood god, bloody magpies, emprah, god-emperor ynnead, grimdark, hero of the imperium, just as planned, steel rein, the eternal war, warhammer, wh40k