Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 08-16-2017, 04:25 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
If you solve the puzzle in the top most middle room it opens a door for another spell. If you hit esc you can switch between which one is assigned to Q. You can use the new spell to get passed the leafy looking wall in the room after the keyed door.

Hmm I usually just chase after the fire for the first one and take no damage. I actually intended for it to be a lot easier than the second one.
Oh, wow, okay. I actually solved that puzzle, but I didn't realize that what I picked up was a spell.

I'll try the first fire corridor again. I may have just made a mistake.

EDIT: Yeah, the first fire corridor is fine. I mistimed it is all.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-16-2017, 04:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Oh, wow, okay. I actually solved that puzzle, but I didn't realize that what I picked up was a spell.

I'll try the first fire corridor again. I may have just made a mistake.

EDIT: Yeah, the first fire corridor is fine. I mistimed it is all.
Yeah I will make it more flashy eventually.
Old 08-18-2017, 07:40 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I managed to get some proper bug testing (though by no means is it thorough) in.
  • Attempting to walk into the same space as the NPC once you've revived him will prevent you from moving at all. You can still access the menu, but nothing short of restarting the game seemed to fix it.
  • I figured out why I was having a hard time with the help boxes/pads. Turns out I was aligning the PC's feet with the centre of the circle, which doesn't detect as standing on top of it, actually lining up both sprites solves that issue.
  • On blue block puzzles: I've found the hit box of the first blue block, after it's been moved either up or down, to stick out to the left by almost half it's width into the aether. Doesn't hurt functionality any, but it's kinda weird. Also, with the second blue block (the one which opens up the way back so you don't have to go through the fire hallway), you can actually push it up or down from the right side, in addition to the upper or lower sides. Neither of those are game breaking or hurt functionality, but that second one might be exploitable.
  • I was unable to complete the Lights Out style floor puzzle, what with various tiles being unresponsive despite my best efforts. I'll give it another go later.
And then I died in the second fire hallway because either my hit box or the fireball's was just a smidgen bigger than I thought, so that's the end of my first series of tests.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah I could make the collision bigger for the NPC. My pathing function seems to have issues like that but I am not running into them as much as you guys. That black box grid in the first room was actually me testing how pathing worked but it seems to work better than anywhere else.

All those circles are just a comparison expression. It will be like c.getX() > 150 && c.getX() < 200 && c.getY() >150 && c.getY() < 200. If you hit T it actually does a system print out of your coordinates but from the .jar I don't think you can see that. Maybe if you ran the game from the command prompt with java -jar Scrolls.jar you could. I can see it in Eclipse. The better question for that is how big do you want those boxes to be? I don't want people to unintentionally activate them.

I modified the blue boxes a little bit in the future because I was using it more extensively. I don't think it will do that anymore because I constrained the condition more.

What do you mean not working? The objective of the puzzle is to turn them all yellow but hitting one flips the ones adjacent to it. Try standing lower on the button but if that doesn't work I could look into making the range bigger. For a puzzle like that though I am concerned about accidentally hitting buttons when you walk between them.

Both of the fire corridors can be completed without taking any damage. As for dying I can make it so the game doesn't end when you die and you just respawn at the beginning or something. I know how to serialize the class file for the player character and the game world so you can keep what you did between play throughs but I am not sure how that will function with constant iterations of the game so I will probably put it in the final one.
Another Update.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6...DNPcDYwQVlub28
Old 08-18-2017, 07:05 PM

Arch-Druid

It's like playing Gauntlent!
Just without everything that made Gauntlet fun!
Old 08-18-2017, 07:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
It's like playing Gauntlent!
Just without everything that made Gauntlet fun!
Pfffft!
Old 08-18-2017, 09:53 PM

Elune

Damn, this is impressive work for such a short period of time!

I loved the boss battle. It's actually pretty complex and gives the player a lot to keep track of. My only bit of advice here is that it goes on a bit too long. The simplest way to handle this might be to lower Victoria's health.

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the dark rooms, but see what other people have to say. I find those kinds of puzzles tedious. Others enjoy them, however, so mileage may vary.

Good work with the reflectors. That was cool.

I liked the second yellow/white switch puzzle. The only thing that threw me off was the proper placement of the yellow switches, since the clues are ambiguous. As an example, here's what I did the first time.

W YWY

YYY WYW

I was trying to "center" the numbers as best as possible. It wasn't until I fiddled with it a bit further that I realized that they were intended to be read left to right. Which maybe is me thinking about it in too weird a way, but the clues don't make it clear.

You could have the clues more closely resemble the placement of the switches. As an example, two dots side by side for "2" instead of the Roman numeral. That might be too obvious, though. Alternately, you could have the Roman numeral slightly off-center. Apologies if you did this and I just didn't notice.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 08-18-2017, 10:15 PM

Elune

Quote:
Damn, this is impressive work for such a short period of time!

I loved the boss battle. It's actually pretty complex and gives the player a lot to keep track of. My only bit of advice here is that it goes on a bit too long. The simplest way to handle this might be to lower Victoria's health.

Personally, I wasn't a huge fan of the dark rooms, but see what other people have to say. I find those kinds of puzzles tedious. Others enjoy them, however, so mileage may vary.

Good work with the reflectors. That was cool.

I liked the second yellow/white switch puzzle. The only thing that threw me off was the proper placement of the yellow switches, since the clues are ambiguous. As an example, here's what I did the first time.

W YWY

YYY WYW

I was trying to "center" the numbers as best as possible. It wasn't until I fiddled with it a bit further that I realized that they were intended to be read left to right. Which maybe is me thinking about it in too weird a way, but the clues don't make it clear.

You could have the clues more closely resemble the placement of the switches. As an example, two dots side by side for "2" instead of the Roman numeral. That might be too obvious, though. Alternately, you could have the Roman numeral slightly off-center. Apologies if you did this and I just didn't notice.
Thank you!

I am glad you liked the boss battle. I made it longer because I wanted you to have to figure out how to get mana mid fight. I probably made it longer than usually but lowering her health would be easy. I want to make another boss in the last room and have that finish up the Act. Then I can go and move everything to do with the Act to a single class to tidy things up and make it easy to add another one.

Yeah I can avoid that kind of thing in the future.

I am glad you liked the reflectors.

What do you mean off-center? I could place blocks in the previous rooms along with immovable blue blocks to represent the switches. I wanted it to be an observation puzzle. The buttons are oriented in the room in a similar fashion as the clues are away from the room. I was thinking of using straight up numbers but I think that would have been too obvious. Thinking left to right may not be as intuitive as I thought but at least you got it!

I want to do more to those rooms that follow up to it so it seems like the clues are just in the background. Just a few rooms with mobs would have been monotonous I think. I will see if I can think of ways to make it better.

Let's hope Kellick can get passed the first puzzle with the 16 switches!
Old 08-19-2017, 09:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
Thank you!

I am glad you liked the boss battle. I made it longer because I wanted you to have to figure out how to get mana mid fight. I probably made it longer than usually but lowering her health would be easy. I want to make another boss in the last room and have that finish up the Act. Then I can go and move everything to do with the Act to a single class to tidy things up and make it easy to add another one.

Yeah I can avoid that kind of thing in the future.

I am glad you liked the reflectors.

What do you mean off-center? I could place blocks in the previous rooms along with immovable blue blocks to represent the switches. I wanted it to be an observation puzzle. The buttons are oriented in the room in a similar fashion as the clues are away from the room. I was thinking of using straight up numbers but I think that would have been too obvious. Thinking left to right may not be as intuitive as I thought but at least you got it!

I want to do more to those rooms that follow up to it so it seems like the clues are just in the background. Just a few rooms with mobs would have been monotonous I think. I will see if I can think of ways to make it better.

Let's hope Kellick can get passed the first puzzle with the 16 switches!
Here's what I mean by a centered version (and, if I remember correctly, what's in the game).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Putting it off-center would be like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry for the weird formatting. It's the only way I could get it to show up on SoL (that I could figure out).

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 08-19-2017 at 09:17 AM..
Old 08-19-2017, 09:45 AM

Elune

Quote:
Here's what I mean by a centered version (and, if I remember correctly, what's in the game).

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Putting it off-center would be like this:

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Sorry for the weird formatting. It's the only way I could get it to show up on SoL (that I could figure out).
I think I understand what you mean.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:52 AM

Problemsolver

I failed to complete the yellow-and-white switcheroo thingomajunk, gave up on it, and then got killed by a fireball that pushed me in front of it. I'll give it a few more playthroughs and see if I can figure out the puzzle and get past the bully fireball.

Send me your tilesets and I'll see if I can be arsed to edit them sometime soon.
Old 08-20-2017, 08:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I failed to complete the yellow-and-white switcheroo thingomajunk, gave up on it, and then got killed by a fireball that pushed me in front of it. I'll give it a few more playthroughs and see if I can figure out the puzzle and get past the bully fireball.

Send me your tilesets and I'll see if I can be arsed to edit them sometime soon.
The OP has a new update with a save and load feature.
Old 08-20-2017, 01:33 PM

Elune

The save and load functions work fine. I'm still working on the last boss.

A few notes:

The wounded NPC's dialogue is in white text, which is hard to see on the background. The second NPC has black text, so just use that for all of them.

The entry and exit tiles in the second dark room vanish when you kill the bots.

EDIT: There's also a missing comma in the second line of NPC dialogue. Here's the fixed version:

"I couldn't figure out the switches in the next room, but there is something about these rooms before it."

Personally, you might want to end it in an ellipsis rather than a period, since that would help imply there is more than meets the eye. I don't think that's technically correct usage, but it's been done often enough that it would be clear.

Or, something like:

"I couldn't figure out the switches in the next room. I feel like I'm missing a clue in these rooms before it."

I used to work as a copyeditor, so I had to mention it.

Also, at the last save point, Victoria will respawn if you go back to her room. Her room won't be accessible, however; you won't be able to go beyond the purple block. The key in the switch room also respawns.

If you go back to Victoria's room, and she respawns, she'll reappear in the final boss room instead of Archimedes. The boss fight will still proceed, with Victoria's sprite in place of Archimedes's. However, Victoria will be stationary, making the fight much easier.

Saving the game after Victoria respawns in her old room doesn't cause any problems. When you reload, and go to the final room, Archimedes will be there.

Interestingly, the Yellow Face Ghost does NOT respawn.

Last edited by HlaaluStyle; 08-20-2017 at 06:57 PM..
Old 08-20-2017, 08:22 PM

Elune

Yeah I can fix that and know exactly why it is happening.

Did you like the boss?
Old 08-20-2017, 08:57 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

I will try when you update it again, too busy playing other games.
Old 08-20-2017, 09:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Yeah I can fix that and know exactly why it is happening.

Did you like the boss?
The boss has a solid design. I still haven't beaten him. The problem is that I didn't get the magic bonus in the first dark maze (like I said, I get frustrated with dark rooms), so I don't have any room for error.

That's not necessarily a bad thing, however. It's just why I haven't beaten him yet.

Old 08-20-2017, 09:56 PM

Elune

Yeah he is supposed to be hard since he is the last thing in the game and the audience is a niche community here. There are a lot of things going on and to keep track off and you have to do a lot before you can even hurt him.
Old 08-22-2017, 03:10 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Pfffft!
What? It's a start
Keep it up!
Old 08-22-2017, 08:26 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feltongue View Post
What? It's a start
Keep it up!
Not supposed to be like Gauntlet.
Old 08-23-2017, 01:32 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Rejoice! The game has been updated once more!
Old 08-23-2017, 01:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
I intended to respond to this.

The .jar file has the .png files in it. If you open it without Java you can see them. If you edit them without changing their location or name they will load up into the game if you want to test them yourself.
Old 08-23-2017, 03:38 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Why did it say "This type of file can harm your computer" and let me discard it when I downloaded your game?
Old 08-23-2017, 03:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Why did it say "This type of file can harm your computer" and let me discard it when I downloaded your game?
It will say that because it is a .jar file. It is safe.
Old 08-23-2017, 05:56 PM

Not Sure If Trolling...

Quote:
It will say that because it is a .jar file. It is safe.
K, I will try it.

Can't click on anything after I started the game. Any hot keys?

Last edited by Slowpokeking; 08-23-2017 at 06:35 PM..
Old 08-23-2017, 06:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
K, I will try it.

Can't click on anything after I opened it.
Use WASD to select something and enter. Use WASD to move, esc for the menu, and Q to use your ability.

Tags
scrolls of lore, video games