Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1226  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM
Torch Torch is offline

Eternal
Torch's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 4,279
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
OMACRON! I wanna ask you something you might be also curious about.

There was this one time when someone posted in 4chan as Metzen and it was really convincing, others here might remember it also.

One of these days you may want to inquire uncle Metz about it
Hmm, looking at it now, It does seem pretty odd just how much stuff about Pandas the guy managed to get right. I mean, while I did think there seemed to be something odd about the timings, and that he'd actually be allowed on 4chan to talk while at Blizzard (if even risk it at all), and then adding in the Maiev substory into Wolfheart for 6 months later, but now I'm not so sure.

On the other hand though, he could just have gotten really lucky and guessed that we had pandas next (was there anything out at the time to suggest that?), and if so, a comic/book would have been a natural progression. Everything else would just be wowpedia/make it up/"we didn't have time for it in the end".

Actually, I'd almost rather that this was Metzen, strangely enough looking back on it. (P.S. If you are reading this Chris, and it was you, the Dragon soul raid ended up pretty mediocre I'm afraid )
__________________
"Terrorism, a job for lazy people and wankers"

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 07-04-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1227  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Hmm, looking at it now, It does seem pretty odd just how much stuff about Pandas the guy managed to get right. I mean, while I did think there seemed to be something odd about the timings, and that he'd actually be allowed on 4chan to talk while at Blizzard (if even risk it at all), and then adding in the Maiev substory into Wolfheart for 6 months later, but now I'm not so sure.

On the other hand though, he could just have gotten really lucky and guessed that we had pandas next (was there anything out at the time to suggest that?), and if so, a comic/book would have been a natural progression. Everything else would just be wowpedia/make it up/"we didn't have time for it in the end".

Actually, I'd almost rather that this was Metzen, strangely enough looking back on it. (P.S. If you are reading this Chris, and it was you, the Dragon soul raid ended up pretty mediocre I'm afraid )
Actually i have to review that, thankfully i stored it in some place safe

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Ashbear...Cowboy_answers
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1228  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM
Leviathon Leviathon is offline

Elune
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 21,434
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Default

I'm gonna go make a account named Bourbon Cowgirl and answer warcraft lore questions with vague responses so everyone thinks I'm Chris Metzen's wife.
Reply With Quote
  #1229  
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I'm gonna go make a account named Bourbon Cowgirl and answer warcraft lore questions with vague responses so everyone thinks I'm Chris Metzen's wife.
With the family's faithful dog Lush, they are the SubBourbonites, able to drink a barrel with a single bound.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #1230  
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

That Metzen stuff on 4chan? I thought it was debunked ages ago. I asked Nyorloth back when he was working at Blizz about it and he said it was some hoax.


I'm actually not sure if I can access 4chan at work.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1231  
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM
Moomaul the Great Moomaul the Great is offline

Priestess of the Moon
Moomaul the Great's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 510

Default

Hey Omacron whats the source on your Arthas avatar?
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1232  
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM
Anasterian Anasterian is offline

Arch-Druid
Anasterian's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1,886

Default

It would be this. It's currently in the fan art thread...

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Metzen
I'm developing a really weird aversion to the color red...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Reply With Quote
  #1233  
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1234  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM
Slaman Slaman is offline

Druid of the Claw
Slaman's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Actually i have to review that, thankfully i stored it in some place safe

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Ashbear...Cowboy_answers
It's hard to believe that's not Metzen or at least someone with a lot of inside knowledge. He even talks like Metzen.
Reply With Quote
  #1235  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM
Zaelsino Zaelsino is offline

Arch-Druid
Zaelsino's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: England
Posts: 1,708

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaman View Post
It's hard to believe that's not Metzen or at least someone with a lot of inside knowledge. He even talks like Metzen.
I'm pretty sure any given regular here (well, most) could pull that off.
Reply With Quote
  #1236  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

At this moment, Metzen is laughing his ass off.
Reply With Quote
  #1237  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 AM
Grig Grig is offline

Demon Hunter
Join Date: Jan 2011
Posts: 439
BattleTag: ask#1111

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaman View Post
It's hard to believe that's not Metzen or at least someone with a lot of inside knowledge. He even talks like Metzen.
It's no different in principle than patch note hoaxes. They can sound really legitimate, and even cover obscure issues that the average person doesn't know had already been commented on by blues as things they are "looking at". Or more directly, the old hoaxes on "leaked upcoming expansions and features".

Incidentally:

Quote:
I don't think Illidan was ever a "good guy". He's always had an ego and paranoia problem; his defeat at the hands of Arthas tipped him over the edge. There's a great element to hubris when it comes to Illidan: there was a guy who actually had the power to threaten the Lich King and Burning Legion itself, but his greed and growing god-complex sealed his downfall. Outland's probably better off without him around. Just sayin'.
Does that really sound like Metzen? I'm not so sure, what with the whole "redemption" idea that he wanted to make happen. Oma, sneak up to Metzen and ask him if he thinks Illidan was ever a "good guy" (as in alignment, not as in "not a douche")!

Also, he said "Panderans" at one point. Even Google knows that's wrong. Not saying it wasn't him, and I saw it when it went up and was intrigued. But I think it's a bit much to say the likeness is so good that it's "hard to believe it's not Metzen".
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
Also? What do you expect? I'm part of the WAHHHHlliance!
Reply With Quote
  #1238  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM
Slaman Slaman is offline

Druid of the Claw
Slaman's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: East Lansing, MI
Posts: 119

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
It's no different in principle than patch note hoaxes. They can sound really legitimate, and even cover obscure issues that the average person doesn't know had already been commented on by blues as things they are "looking at". Or more directly, the old hoaxes on "leaked upcoming expansions and features".

Does that really sound like Metzen? I'm not so sure, what with the whole "redemption" idea that he wanted to make happen. Oma, sneak up to Metzen and ask him if he thinks Illidan was ever a "good guy" (as in alignment, not as in "not a douche")!

Also, he said "Panderans" at one point. Even Google knows that's wrong. Not saying it wasn't him, and I saw it when it went up and was intrigued. But I think it's a bit much to say the likeness is so good that it's "hard to believe it's not Metzen".
Metzen loves Malfurion, so I would guess he probably doesn't have much love for Illidan. I mean damn, he threw him in a cage for 10,000 years. He probably entertained a redemption idea, just for all the heat I'm sure he got to make Illidan just "misunderstood." But in the end, that's not what happened, which leads me to believe Metzen never personally wanted Illidan to get better.

Also, typos aren't really anything to judge by in my opinion. The smartest guy I know makes random typos on obvious words when he's not trying to write formally, and I can't figure out for the life of me how that happens. Even if it's not Metzen, whoever it was had great insight and imagination to answer some of the questions about things we don't know and said a few lines that blew my mind and really made sense, even if they were ambiguous. But I think we're derailing this, so I digress
Reply With Quote
  #1239  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Guys. I already said it wasn't Metzen. Cut it out.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1240  
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaman View Post
Metzen loves Malfurion, so I would guess he probably doesn't have much love for Illidan. I mean damn, he threw him in a cage for 10,000 years. He probably entertained a redemption idea, just for all the heat I'm sure he got to make Illidan just "misunderstood." But in the end, that's not what happened, which leads me to believe Metzen never personally wanted Illidan to get better.

Also, typos aren't really anything to judge by in my opinion. The smartest guy I know makes random typos on obvious words when he's not trying to write formally, and I can't figure out for the life of me how that happens. Even if it's not Metzen, whoever it was had great insight and imagination to answer some of the questions about things we don't know and said a few lines that blew my mind and really made sense, even if they were ambiguous. But I think we're derailing this, so I digress
If Metzen loves Furion sooo much, then why is Thrall the messiah of Azeroth ?
Reply With Quote
  #1241  
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM
Bryn Bryn is offline

Arch-Druid
Bryn's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 1,180

Default

Eh, it seems like the technique psychics use. Make a lot of vague statements and predictions based on popular theories, and if any of them happen to be right, people will be impressed. “Yeah, that’s interesting. We might be exploring it at some undefined point in the future. Or not.” And some of it still feels kind of strange.

-He does mention the pandaren, but that’s because people asked about them.
-He dismisses the possibility of Illidan coming back, when Metzen seemed to like the idea.
-It seems odd that he’d openly say Turalyon is alive and on another planet.
-Also seems odd that he’d claim that Calia Menethil is supposed to be dead and there are no plans to do anything with her. Both her fate and Turalyon’s have been treated as ongoing mysteries in the Ask CDev answers.
-That whole thing about the draenei and the Light is just weird.

Quote:
About the Draenei, it's more the other way around. The Draenei have an intrinsic link with the Light, but what happens when that link is severed by doubt or tragedy? Without the Light keeping them holy(so to speak), their bodies become more rudimentary and prone to mutation. This was how the Broken came to be.
I don’t know that much about draenei lore, but I thought they weren’t involved with the Light until after the Burning Legion and the naaru showed up? And they didn’t look like Broken back then. Also, the Broken’s inability to use the Light has usually been portrayed as physical damage. If it was really due to “doubt and tragedy,” you’d think the more faithful and hopeful ones would have regained their connection by now.

Also:

Quote:
Yeah, for the most part we don't really wanna go too heavily into cross-species sex.
Obviously not Metzen.

Edit- I googled "pandaren comic" and came up with this from the Wowpedia page:

Quote:
The first hint of the comic appeared as an inaccurate listing for an upcoming hardcover Wildstorm OGN called World of Warcraft: Panderans [sic], complete with page, price, and ISBN information.[2] Blizzplanet asked DC Comics about this, and the response was that the information was wrong and that details on the correct product would be coming in a few months.[3]

At Blizzard's Comic-Con 2010 panel, a slide of pandaren artwork was included at the end of Wildstorm's portion of the presentation. The panelists mocked surprise and quickly returned to the previous slide, saying it wasn't supposed to be there and that they'd get in trouble.

Last edited by Bryn; 07-05-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #1242  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM
Quaero Quaero is offline

Arch-Druid
Quaero's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,274
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Default

Hey Oma!

I know you're supposed to ask the questions in this thread, but sadly, you're only true inside link to Blizzard, so...

Do you know what is their current stance on server wide events like the AQ relief effort and high level quest-lines like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands?
Reply With Quote
  #1243  
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
Hey Oma!

I know you're supposed to ask the questions in this thread, but sadly, you're only true inside link to Blizzard, so...

Do you know what is their current stance on server wide events like the AQ relief effort and high level quest-lines like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands?
That'd be something to ask the world or quest design teams. I'm on CDev.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1244  
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM
Quaero Quaero is offline

Arch-Druid
Quaero's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,274
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
That'd be something to ask the world or quest design teams. I'm on CDev.
It was worth the shot.
Reply With Quote
  #1245  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Ashendant Ashendant is offline

Elune
Ashendant's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Portugal
Posts: 15,557
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
Hey Oma!

I know you're supposed to ask the questions in this thread, but sadly, you're only true inside link to Blizzard, so...

Do you know what is their current stance on server wide events like the AQ relief effort and high level quest-lines like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands?
I loath temporary events...
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1246  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I loath temporary events...
It is kind of confusing because you are loath to do things that you loathe.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #1247  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM
Fojar Fojar is offline

Elune
Fojar's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: Toronto, Lordaeron
Posts: 17,442

Default

The 4chan thing was debunked as soon as someone asked "Metzen" about ERP and he answered.
__________________
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Reply With Quote
  #1248  
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
The 4chan thing was debunked as soon as someone asked "Metzen" about ERP and he answered.
You don't know Metzen like I do.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #1249  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM
Quaero Quaero is offline

Arch-Druid
Quaero's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 1,274
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
You don't know Metzen like I do.
I give you a 7.5 on the stalker-o-meter.
Reply With Quote
  #1250  
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
I give you a 7.5 on the stalker-o-meter.
What if I told you I keep some of his arm hair in a golden locket around my neck at all times?
__________________
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
garithos

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:05 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.