Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-04-2012, 10:01 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kike-Scott View Post
OMACRON! I wanna ask you something you might be also curious about.

There was this one time when someone posted in 4chan as Metzen and it was really convincing, others here might remember it also.

One of these days you may want to inquire uncle Metz about it
Hmm, looking at it now, It does seem pretty odd just how much stuff about Pandas the guy managed to get right. I mean, while I did think there seemed to be something odd about the timings, and that he'd actually be allowed on 4chan to talk while at Blizzard (if even risk it at all), and then adding in the Maiev substory into Wolfheart for 6 months later, but now I'm not so sure.

On the other hand though, he could just have gotten really lucky and guessed that we had pandas next (was there anything out at the time to suggest that?), and if so, a comic/book would have been a natural progression. Everything else would just be wowpedia/make it up/"we didn't have time for it in the end".

Actually, I'd almost rather that this was Metzen, strangely enough looking back on it. (P.S. If you are reading this Chris, and it was you, the Dragon soul raid ended up pretty mediocre I'm afraid )

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 07-04-2012 at 10:14 AM..
Old 07-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
Hmm, looking at it now, It does seem pretty odd just how much stuff about Pandas the guy managed to get right. I mean, while I did think there seemed to be something odd about the timings, and that he'd actually be allowed on 4chan to talk while at Blizzard (if even risk it at all), and then adding in the Maiev substory into Wolfheart for 6 months later, but now I'm not so sure.

On the other hand though, he could just have gotten really lucky and guessed that we had pandas next (was there anything out at the time to suggest that?), and if so, a comic/book would have been a natural progression. Everything else would just be wowpedia/make it up/"we didn't have time for it in the end".

Actually, I'd almost rather that this was Metzen, strangely enough looking back on it. (P.S. If you are reading this Chris, and it was you, the Dragon soul raid ended up pretty mediocre I'm afraid )
Actually i have to review that, thankfully i stored it in some place safe

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Ashbear...Cowboy_answers
Old 07-04-2012, 11:21 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

I'm gonna go make a account named Bourbon Cowgirl and answer warcraft lore questions with vague responses so everyone thinks I'm Chris Metzen's wife.
Old 07-04-2012, 11:45 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
I'm gonna go make a account named Bourbon Cowgirl and answer warcraft lore questions with vague responses so everyone thinks I'm Chris Metzen's wife.
With the family's faithful dog Lush, they are the SubBourbonites, able to drink a barrel with a single bound.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 07-04-2012, 05:07 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

That Metzen stuff on 4chan? I thought it was debunked ages ago. I asked Nyorloth back when he was working at Blizz about it and he said it was some hoax.

I'm actually not sure if I can access 4chan at work.
Old 07-04-2012, 08:52 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Hey Omacron whats the source on your Arthas avatar?
Old 07-04-2012, 09:14 PM

Arch-Druid

It would be this. It's currently in the fan art thread...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 07-04-2012, 10:06 PM

Old 07-05-2012, 10:05 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
Actually i have to review that, thankfully i stored it in some place safe

http://www.wowpedia.org/User:Ashbear...Cowboy_answers
It's hard to believe that's not Metzen or at least someone with a lot of inside knowledge. He even talks like Metzen.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:09 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaman View Post
It's hard to believe that's not Metzen or at least someone with a lot of inside knowledge. He even talks like Metzen.
I'm pretty sure any given regular here (well, most) could pull that off.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:11 AM

Elune

At this moment, Metzen is laughing his ass off.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:28 AM

Demon Hunter
BattleTag: ask#1111

Quote:
It's no different in principle than patch note hoaxes. They can sound really legitimate, and even cover obscure issues that the average person doesn't know had already been commented on by blues as things they are "looking at". Or more directly, the old hoaxes on "leaked upcoming expansions and features".

Incidentally:

Quote:
I don't think Illidan was ever a "good guy". He's always had an ego and paranoia problem; his defeat at the hands of Arthas tipped him over the edge. There's a great element to hubris when it comes to Illidan: there was a guy who actually had the power to threaten the Lich King and Burning Legion itself, but his greed and growing god-complex sealed his downfall. Outland's probably better off without him around. Just sayin'.
Does that really sound like Metzen? I'm not so sure, what with the whole "redemption" idea that he wanted to make happen. Oma, sneak up to Metzen and ask him if he thinks Illidan was ever a "good guy" (as in alignment, not as in "not a douche")!

Also, he said "Panderans" at one point. Even Google knows that's wrong. Not saying it wasn't him, and I saw it when it went up and was intrigued. But I think it's a bit much to say the likeness is so good that it's "hard to believe it's not Metzen".
Old 07-05-2012, 10:38 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grig View Post
It's no different in principle than patch note hoaxes. They can sound really legitimate, and even cover obscure issues that the average person doesn't know had already been commented on by blues as things they are "looking at". Or more directly, the old hoaxes on "leaked upcoming expansions and features".

Does that really sound like Metzen? I'm not so sure, what with the whole "redemption" idea that he wanted to make happen. Oma, sneak up to Metzen and ask him if he thinks Illidan was ever a "good guy" (as in alignment, not as in "not a douche")!

Also, he said "Panderans" at one point. Even Google knows that's wrong. Not saying it wasn't him, and I saw it when it went up and was intrigued. But I think it's a bit much to say the likeness is so good that it's "hard to believe it's not Metzen".
Metzen loves Malfurion, so I would guess he probably doesn't have much love for Illidan. I mean damn, he threw him in a cage for 10,000 years. He probably entertained a redemption idea, just for all the heat I'm sure he got to make Illidan just "misunderstood." But in the end, that's not what happened, which leads me to believe Metzen never personally wanted Illidan to get better.

Also, typos aren't really anything to judge by in my opinion. The smartest guy I know makes random typos on obvious words when he's not trying to write formally, and I can't figure out for the life of me how that happens. Even if it's not Metzen, whoever it was had great insight and imagination to answer some of the questions about things we don't know and said a few lines that blew my mind and really made sense, even if they were ambiguous. But I think we're derailing this, so I digress
Old 07-05-2012, 10:39 AM

Guys. I already said it wasn't Metzen. Cut it out.
Old 07-05-2012, 10:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Metzen loves Malfurion, so I would guess he probably doesn't have much love for Illidan. I mean damn, he threw him in a cage for 10,000 years. He probably entertained a redemption idea, just for all the heat I'm sure he got to make Illidan just "misunderstood." But in the end, that's not what happened, which leads me to believe Metzen never personally wanted Illidan to get better.

Also, typos aren't really anything to judge by in my opinion. The smartest guy I know makes random typos on obvious words when he's not trying to write formally, and I can't figure out for the life of me how that happens. Even if it's not Metzen, whoever it was had great insight and imagination to answer some of the questions about things we don't know and said a few lines that blew my mind and really made sense, even if they were ambiguous. But I think we're derailing this, so I digress
If Metzen loves Furion sooo much, then why is Thrall the messiah of Azeroth ?
Old 07-05-2012, 11:19 AM

Arch-Druid

Eh, it seems like the technique psychics use. Make a lot of vague statements and predictions based on popular theories, and if any of them happen to be right, people will be impressed. “Yeah, that’s interesting. We might be exploring it at some undefined point in the future. Or not.” And some of it still feels kind of strange.

-He does mention the pandaren, but that’s because people asked about them.
-He dismisses the possibility of Illidan coming back, when Metzen seemed to like the idea.
-It seems odd that he’d openly say Turalyon is alive and on another planet.
-Also seems odd that he’d claim that Calia Menethil is supposed to be dead and there are no plans to do anything with her. Both her fate and Turalyon’s have been treated as ongoing mysteries in the Ask CDev answers.
-That whole thing about the draenei and the Light is just weird.

Quote:
About the Draenei, it's more the other way around. The Draenei have an intrinsic link with the Light, but what happens when that link is severed by doubt or tragedy? Without the Light keeping them holy(so to speak), their bodies become more rudimentary and prone to mutation. This was how the Broken came to be.
I don’t know that much about draenei lore, but I thought they weren’t involved with the Light until after the Burning Legion and the naaru showed up? And they didn’t look like Broken back then. Also, the Broken’s inability to use the Light has usually been portrayed as physical damage. If it was really due to “doubt and tragedy,” you’d think the more faithful and hopeful ones would have regained their connection by now.

Also:

Quote:
Yeah, for the most part we don't really wanna go too heavily into cross-species sex.
Obviously not Metzen.

Edit- I googled "pandaren comic" and came up with this from the Wowpedia page:

Quote:
The first hint of the comic appeared as an inaccurate listing for an upcoming hardcover Wildstorm OGN called World of Warcraft: Panderans [sic], complete with page, price, and ISBN information.[2] Blizzplanet asked DC Comics about this, and the response was that the information was wrong and that details on the correct product would be coming in a few months.[3]

At Blizzard's Comic-Con 2010 panel, a slide of pandaren artwork was included at the end of Wildstorm's portion of the presentation. The panelists mocked surprise and quickly returned to the previous slide, saying it wasn't supposed to be there and that they'd get in trouble.

Last edited by Bryn; 07-05-2012 at 11:25 AM..
Old 07-05-2012, 05:15 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: Quaero#1875

Hey Oma!

I know you're supposed to ask the questions in this thread, but sadly, you're only true inside link to Blizzard, so...

Do you know what is their current stance on server wide events like the AQ relief effort and high level quest-lines like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands?
Old 07-05-2012, 05:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quaero View Post
Hey Oma!

I know you're supposed to ask the questions in this thread, but sadly, you're only true inside link to Blizzard, so...

Do you know what is their current stance on server wide events like the AQ relief effort and high level quest-lines like the Scepter of the Shifting Sands?
That'd be something to ask the world or quest design teams. I'm on CDev.
Old 07-05-2012, 09:40 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
That'd be something to ask the world or quest design teams. I'm on CDev.
It was worth the shot.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:08 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Ashendant#2130

Quote:
Hey Oma!

I loath temporary events...
Old 07-06-2012, 02:12 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashendant View Post
I loath temporary events...
It is kind of confusing because you are loath to do things that you loathe.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:16 PM

Elune

The 4chan thing was debunked as soon as someone asked "Metzen" about ERP and he answered.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
The 4chan thing was debunked as soon as someone asked "Metzen" about ERP and he answered.
You don't know Metzen like I do.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:23 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
You don't know Metzen like I do.
I give you a 7.5 on the stalker-o-meter.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
I give you a 7.5 on the stalker-o-meter.
What if I told you I keep some of his arm hair in a golden locket around my neck at all times?

Tags
garithos