Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-09-2012, 01:06 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Except they are also on Kalimdor, which places them in closer proximity to Nordrassil. They may have been unintended recipients of the tree's blessing. Also, keep in mind that the highborne who became the high elves also changed their society to be diurnal rather than nocturnal, which oddly enough made them paler.
I'm pretty sure the distance from Nodrassil to Feralas is actually comparable to the distance between Nordrassil and Silvermoon.
Old 08-09-2012, 02:47 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AJF#1946

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post
I wonder if with Nordrassil being fully healed, that Night Elves are going to (eventually) become Immortal again.
I believe that the reason for the night elves having had immortality from the original Nordrassil is that it was blessed by Nozdormu. Unless the blessing still applies which it could very well, in which case it their immortality could return when the tree regrows.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:00 AM

Eternal

I was under the impression that the blessings were part of the sacrifice and were permanently removed.

If it was just going to give everything back once it healed, why would some Night elves be worked up about not being mortal if that was the case? Like Fandral trying to replicate the tree or Lorekeeper Vaeldrin searching for the fountain of youth if they were going to become immortal again anyways.
Old 08-09-2012, 03:04 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowsong View Post
I was under the impression that the blessings were part of the sacrifice and were permanently removed.

If it was just going to give everything back once it healed, why would some Night elves be worked up about not being mortal if that was the case? Like Fandral trying to replicate the tree or Lorekeeper Vaeldrin searching for the fountain of youth if they were going to become immortal again anyways.
Well, while Nozdormu probably has a lot to everything to do with it (though it would be interesting to see if other methods of restoring the blessing work), well, probably not only do very few people really know how it all works, but even then, if there's an impact on people right now, then why wouldn't you try to help the best you can right now?

If I die, blame it on BfA

Last edited by Torch; 08-09-2012 at 04:22 AM..
Old 08-09-2012, 04:13 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I'm pretty sure the distance from Nodrassil to Feralas is actually comparable to the distance between Nordrassil and Silvermoon.
Game scale? The high elves did not begin to lose their purple tint until they moved to Lordaeron and became diurnal, while the Shen'dralar retained their hue. Also keep in mind that the night elves had a base out as far as Silithus without losing the blessing of Nordrassil. (I am not certain as to when the original Feathermoon Stronghold was built, so it may not be pre-WC3.)
Old 08-09-2012, 07:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
There's plenty of "empty" space in the ocean between the two main continents, so chances are Blizzard will shift the spacing between them as it pleases, and thus makes everything less reliable.

Beyond that, there may typically some sort of "premium" based upon travel along the sea when compared to land for magical effects, so even if the distance is the same, Teldrassil's blessing transfers more easily along the earth of Kalimdor than in the sea between the two main continents.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-09-2012, 08:42 AM

Banished

I wish that Nordrassil's and Sunwell's blessings work. Considerinf they seem be transcontinental and, well, interplanetery
Old 08-09-2012, 10:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millenia View Post
There's plenty of "empty" space in the ocean between the two main continents, so chances are Blizzard will shift the spacing between them as it pleases, and thus makes everything less reliable.

Beyond that, there may typically some sort of "premium" based upon travel along the sea when compared to land for magical effects, so even if the distance is the same, Teldrassil's blessing transfers more easily along the earth of Kalimdor than in the sea between the two main continents.
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Azeroth...moonvalley.JPG

I'm mainly going by that, since you actually see Azeroth in the sky. towards the northern parts of the world there's not that much sea between the east coast of Kalimdor and the west coast of Lordaeron
Old 08-09-2012, 12:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
http://www.wowpedia.org/File:Azeroth...moonvalley.JPG

I'm mainly going by that, since you actually see Azeroth in the sky. towards the northern parts of the world there's not that much sea between the east coast of Kalimdor and the west coast of Lordaeron
MoP map shows another distance. TBC map didn't have Pandaria or Northrend.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)

Last edited by Cemotucu; 08-09-2012 at 12:31 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 12:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
MoP map shows another distance. TBC map didn't have Pandaria or Northrend.

That's not a "map", though, that's the actual planet. You can see Northrend there, and Pandaria is obviously still cloaked by mists and thus not visible from space.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
That's not a "map", though, that's the actual planet. You can see Northrend there, and Pandaria is obviously still cloaked by mists and thus not visible from space.
But the distances ar different. :/ Look at the ocean and verything.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-09-2012, 12:35 PM

Quote:
But the distances ar different. :/ Look at the ocean and verything.
Maps are never 100% accurate, that's why I'm using the actual extraplanetary view of Azeroth.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:39 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Torch#2569

Quote:
Stupid question- since when is it ever officially referred to as Azeroth? What's to say it's not an Azeroth-esque planet in the twisting nether, or something conjoured as an "Illidan liked seeing an Azeroth image in the sky because it reminded him of Tyrande. He never did well in geography at school"?

Then again, if it is purely distance related, where does that leave Azerothian elves now? Would a night elf staying in the Eastern Kingdoms, Northrend or Kalimdor rely on moonwells to avoid degrading into a high elf? Would Outland have even more of an effect? Would a high elf or blood elf (assuming the demonic magic has little effect) staying in Kalimdor (especially the North)/close to moonwells start to turn into a night elf? Or their offspring? How long would it take?

Unless that's an intention, I'd stick to there being a changed related to the exile itself, not the moving away from Kalimdor (e.g the magic susceptibility). Saves all that trouble.

If I die, blame it on BfA
Old 08-09-2012, 12:42 PM

Elune

Quote:
Maps are never 100% accurate, that's why I'm using the actual extraplanetary view of Azeroth.
But that extraplanetary view is old, compared with another, like this in Ulduar:

Or this:

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-09-2012, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post

Unless that's an intention, I'd stick to there being a changed related to the exile itself, not the moving away from Kalimdor (e.g the magic susceptibility). Saves all that trouble.
I personally always wished that their transformation was somehow triggered by whatever force they found in Tirisfal.

Quote:
But that extraplanetary view is old, compared with another, like this in Ulduar:

Or this:

Those are both holographic globe-maps, not an actual view of the planet from space.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:49 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

An outdated world 2d image in a skybox which was actually just taken directly from TBC's world map isn't what I'd call reliable. That isn't Northrend on that 'globe'. It's the 4 isles that used to be northwest of Tirisfal.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
An outdated world 2d image in a skybox which was actually just taken directly from TBC's world map isn't what I'd call reliable.
But, but, spaaaaaace.
Old 08-09-2012, 12:52 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
The one made before Pandaria's geographical location was added? Pandaria could not fit on that globe.

Edit: Also keep in mind that we are talking about Blizzard, your bosses, who are among the worst and least consistent geographers.

Last edited by Genesis; 08-09-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Old 08-09-2012, 12:53 PM

Eternal

I think the globe Wrathion shows would be accurate. He also spawns it via blood so maybe he invokes his Black Flight powers over the earth for an accurate image. Magic maps!
Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
An outdated world 2d image in a skybox which was actually just taken directly from TBC's world map isn't what I'd call reliable. That isn't Northrend on that 'globe'. It's the 4 isles that used to be northwest of Tirisfal.
I think the same. The world map of MoP is the more relieble think we have to date. :/

I think they started to change because of whatever there is under Tirisfal and/or their use of arcane magic.

Also... has anyone thought that, maybe, their physical transformation (paler skin, golden hair, etc) might have been intended? wht if they use magic to gradually change their appeareance? Maybe the other changes (lost of inmortality, and strenght and etc) were side effects.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-09-2012, 12:55 PM

Elune

Every single globe that's ever shown in game is the games world map wrapped over a globe. They are no more or less accurate than the regular world map.
Old 08-09-2012, 01:11 PM

Elune

Now you want something to actually speculate about? Blizzard updated old globes shown in game to be with the current game world. But on one of them there are strange isles south west of Kalimdor.

Old 08-09-2012, 01:13 PM

Elune

OMG, Leviathon... You... you've just found Kul Tiras. e.e

Anyway, that's a nice thing. Glad they updated the globes.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

Old 08-09-2012, 01:14 PM

Druid of the Claw

Tel'Abim?
Old 08-09-2012, 01:16 PM

Echo of the Past

(checks to make sure his Cold War era globe hasn't updated itself)

Tags
garithos