Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

View Poll Results: Horde bias?
It's real, man! 27 60.00%
Total bullcrap. 15 33.33%
Nope, Alliance bias! 3 6.67%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-07-2013, 04:19 PM

Elune

Horde Flag Horde favoritism, myth or truth?

Though I'd make use of this forum while it is still here.

Simple question.

Is Horde bias a reality or tauren crap?

You decide.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

You want the real answer or the feel good answer?
Old 05-07-2013, 04:23 PM

Banished

No, only orcs get a lot of love because Blizzard needed to make them the big good guy like the humans and in WC I&II they are the villains. At least before ToW.

Actually the story is too much human and orc centralized.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:34 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Morhaime has a Horde logo for his hood ornament on his car.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:39 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

It's not horde bias in the sense they hate the alliance (most of the time). It's bias in the sense that they have a harder time writing the alliance story to fit the gameplay than the horde's story.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
You want the real answer or the feel good answer?
Hit me with the heavy stuff!
Old 05-07-2013, 04:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by C9H20 View Post
Hit me with the heavy stuff!
Quote:
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:47 PM

Elune

DoI think Blizzard is Horde biased in the sense that they are purposly favoring the Horde? No.

But they are doing it unintentionally.

Horde players may be upset with the direction their story is taking them, but at least it's a story.

The Alliance has the dressings of a story with the High King business, and I'd even go so far as to say that if the Alliance players didn't agree with it, tough, at least it was still a story....IF it were an actual story.

The Horde has fractures that have been boiling and breaking for several expansions.

The Alliance....was always getting along just fine. In fact, more internal conflict was what we were asking for way back in Wrath (but mostly Cata). And they sort of listend. We apparently have internal conflict! So much that Varian's arc is about pulling the Alliance together.. Only, we've never seen any of the internal conflict. It's not even really mentioned, so it's not like we can even extrapolate what it is.

It's just ...there... a thing to be overcome, only it's less of a thing and more of a whisper of a rumor.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:51 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
That is actually on my "Best Things" playlist, so keep that in mind for SoL Playlists.

Of course, my best stuff playlist has 1500 songs, so
Old 05-07-2013, 04:54 PM

Elune

More like Orc bias combined with laziness. It's obvious they tried to improve since the massive backlash in Cata, and Blizzcon. Though it's also obvious they are out of ideas when it comes to the Alliance.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:55 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
DoI think Blizzard is Horde biased in the sense that they are purposly favoring the Horde? No.

But they are doing it unintentionally.

Horde players may be upset with the direction their story is taking them, but at least it's a story.

The Alliance has the dressings of a story with the High King business, and I'd even go so far as to say that if the Alliance players didn't agree with it, tough, at least it was still a story....IF it were an actual story.

The Horde has fractures that have been boiling and breaking for several expansions.

The Alliance....was always getting along just fine. In fact, more internal conflict was what we were asking for way back in Wrath (but mostly Cata). And they sort of listend. We apparently have internal conflict! So much that Varian's arc is about pulling the Alliance together.. Only, we've never seen any of the internal conflict. It's not even really mentioned, so it's not like we can even extrapolate what it is.

It's just ...there... a thing to be overcome, only it's less of a thing and more of a whisper of a rumor.
Well the Horde once had a super awesome Warchief to overshadow anyone.
Old 05-07-2013, 04:58 PM

Elune

And?

It sucked when it happened to the Horde, and it shouldn't happen to the Alliance either.

And yes, that applies when talking about making the Horde suffer. It sucks it happened to the Alliance, shouldn't happen to Horde.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:04 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Irvine, California belongs to the Forsaken. Now and forever.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:05 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
And?

It sucked when it happened to the Horde, and it shouldn't happen to the Alliance either.

And yes, that applies when talking about making the Horde suffer. It sucks it happened to the Alliance, shouldn't happen to Horde.
Yes, so Blizzard's problem is give humans and orcs too much love most of the time.

Beside Thrall, the Horde doesn't even have a good leader, even Sylvanas is not good enough, not to say Baine and Vol'jin.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:06 PM

Eternal

Blizzard is more comfortable with Horde. It's easy to write, they can do no wrong when it comes to Horde. All they have to do is be dark, edgy, violent, and all those other things that are associated with the concept of 'Cool' and they got themselves some quality writing. That and Horde has some good characters. Say what you want about Garrosh, i think he's an awesome character that is going to waste because he has no significant and interesting ideological counterpart to oppose him.

When Horde does shit, they do it big and loud. They're no wimps and its always going to be exciting.

They obviously can't do that for Alliance because it's not 'Alliance'. There is no being dark because it's not Alliance, therefore, the cool goes out the window. So i reckon they're just going to continue fumbling the ball whenever it's in the Alliance court. They don't have much to work with in the 'Cool and compelling character' department outside of Varian, who initially was dark, but people complained. So they decided to make Varian more level headed, and still there's complaining. All because people are flat out refusing to admit he is the only good Alliance character for X nit picky reason.

All the while continuing to insist that this pussy, incompetent, do nothing, character/faction leader is any better than the guy that actually does something.

To be honest, i wonder if people would like angry Varian if it happened during Cataclysm and not Wrath of the last good expansion.

If Alliance is to be interesting interesting then there needs to be new concepts on all fronts, but new is something that CDev is probably afraid of.

Not an insult mind you, its just that they have to find a brand of Alliance "Cool" that can be just as compelling as Horde without being Horde. Also while trying to avoid the trap of grimdark to make things MATURE and COOL while also avoiding the Thrall in Cataclysm pitfall.

It's kind of an incredibly intimidating problem to tackle and there probably won't be an easy answer.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:11 PM

Banished

This would have made the Horde better

Make Kael rather than Lor'themar the leader of the blood elves.

Let Sylvanas deal with Calia and the Ebon Blade/Argent Crusade behind her.

Remove the "i" in Baine's name.

Replace Vol'jin with some powerful and cunning troll.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:16 PM

Elune

The Horde doesn't have it better. It has story, but it's a bad story. The warchief is a terrible mess of a character, the Darkspear hardly did anything, the Blood Elves were overlooked till MoP, tauren became peace loving hippies. Only the Forsaken and Blood Elves got good development in the last few years.
When it comes to the Alliance, so far I've been satisfied with it's story in MoP, except the scenario with Tyrande. Except for ALP, patch 5.1 was great. Loved it.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:18 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The Horde doesn't have it better. It has story, but it's a bad story. The warchief is a terrible mess of a character, the Darkspear hardly did anything, the Blood Elves were overlooked till MoP, tauren became peace loving hippies. Only the Forsaken and Blood Elves got good development in the last few years.
When it comes to the Alliance, so far I've been satisfied with it's story in MoP, except the scenario with Tyrande. Except for ALP, patch 5.1 was great. Loved it.
Still, Lorthemar is not a good leader compare to TFT Kael, he is more like a general and ranger.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
More like Orc bias combined with laziness. It's obvious they tried to improve since the massive backlash in Cata, and Blizzcon. Though it's also obvious they are out of ideas when it comes to the Alliance.
I'm not even sure if it's Orc bias anymore. Biggest problem with their story is that we don't see common orcs going through all these warchiefs. They're just tools to whichever Orc is in power. Most of them don't have a personality as a result.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

I've never bought the "Horde bias" line which gets tossed around in lieu of actual arguments like so much fluff.

There have been times when Blizzard has made choices in development and resource allocation to the detriment of the Alliance (see recycled Horde quest text in 5.1 or cut Twilight Highlands intro content), but I frown upon people using "Horde bias" unironically as the end all be all of Blizzard's reasoning.

I'm also a bit miffed when people use that phrase in order to belittle other posters, Horde or sympathetic to problems with the Horde's stories, characters, etc. Oftentimes, people will conflate yelling accusations of Horde bias with actual, reasoned out arguments, notably in dismissing any comment that isn't kowtowing to the "woe betides the Alliance because of Blizzard's Horde bias" rhetoric.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:23 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I'm not even sure if it's Orc bias anymore. Biggest problem with their story is that we don't see common orcs going through all these warchiefs. They're just tools to whichever Orc is in power. Most of them don't have a personality as a result.
Kind of reminds you of Draenei huh?
Old 05-07-2013, 05:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
But it lacks any bite. Jaina was an interesting bit, but really, they had to pull stuff out of their rear to make it work. And beyond that it boiled down to "lock up the traitors" with no real emotional punch outside of what the players desperate to maintain moral highround gave it.

I'm admittidly biased against 5.1, but while I think it moved the story forward for Azeroth, I don't think it really moved the Alliance forward at all. Even with the inclusion of Dalaran, the Alliance didn't grow. It didn't move forward. The story could have progressed the same without it as it could have with it.

It had to impact on the world, on the war, and the strengths of the Kirin Tor joining the Alliance seem to be largely ignored. It goes back to being just plain old mages fighting the Blood Elves in 5.2, and with the exception of jaina, that wasn't somethign that Stormwind couldn't have done. Or Darnassus. Or whatever.

5.1 was, largely, one of those trappings thats made to look like a story, but does very little to effect the world and the way its percieved.

Yes, Garrosh has gotten hit hard. It sucks. He was probably my favorite character after Tyrande. Now he's boring.

But the story for the Horde still moves. 5.1 had definite waves that made 5.3 possible for them. For the Alliance, 5.1 was set up to make 5.2 an extended training montage for Jaina and her thudnerstadd, and the Blood Elves got in their own training. It was totally a filler patch.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 PM

Banished

I don't think Blizzard intended to make Garrosh a villain when they made him warchief, but they failed to handle him.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:32 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

It's definitely there. Maybe it's not the kind of scheming evil "how can we hit the Alliance this time?" kind of bias, but they're definitely in preference to the Horde. And then some of them are just idiots who somehow always manage to take feedback in a completely wrong way.
Old 05-07-2013, 05:33 PM

Arch-Druid

I get the feeling that they prefer writing for the Horde. More polish and passion seems to go into that side of the story.

So yeah, maybe.

Tags
horde bias