Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-08-2011, 08:05 PM

Elune

Default What exactly draws you to your preferred faction?

Just what it says.

I prefer the Horde for two main reasons: the story arc of the Forsaken as a race is fascinating to me, and the interplay and dramatic tension between the different members and leaders of it makes for a very dynamic and gripping faction.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:11 PM

Banished

Well...

The Horde strikes me as altogether too amoral and sadistic. I'm fine with playing an evil character, and doing evil things in a game, but when the NPCs act as though I'm just being 'honorable' or 'proud,' it bothers me. Cognitive dissonance and so on.

Now, the Alliance may be stagnant. It may persistently get the sticky end of the proverbial stick. But at least their actions are in line with their beliefs and values. They tend to avoid compromising their ideals, and the idea of the Light particularly appealed to me. Before it was desecrated and sold out to a band of corrupted elves and random bovines, at least.

Also! Dwarves. Fuckers carve their houses out of mountains. Out of VOLCANOES. Best damn architects in the world. Badass warriors, even when completely smashed. And Gnomes! Judge me by my size, do you? HMM?
Old 12-08-2011, 08:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Before it was desecrated and sold out to a band of corrupted elves and random bovines, at least.
The point of the Light is that it's universal.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
The point of the Light is that it's universal.
Not necessarily. Turalyon didn't reach his full power until he realized that the Light wasn't for the orcs or something like that.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:24 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
Not necessarily. Turalyon didn't reach his full power until he realized that the Light wasn't for the orcs or something like that.
Well, the orcs of the time were demonically tainted, and he went back to believing that they weren't totally evil as a race by Beyond the Dark Portal. Given the kinds of things the Scarlet Crusade does and still retain their powers, I think it was just a matter of him finding willpower for something, not having anything to do with the specifics.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:27 PM

World Builder

Runes

Ohmygod it is not even three posts in and you're derailing.

That's got to be some kind of record.

Anyway, I'm attracted to the Horde because I prefer the primal themes to the more pristine ones, the Alliance is too typical fantasy for me.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-08-2011, 08:28 PM

The Digger

I prefer the Alliance because it the Horde is ultimately and instrument of the Orcs, who are entirely too pointlessly destructive for my liking while also having an entirely undeserved persecution complex. As for why I like dwarves in particular, they're industrious, highly inquisitive and driven towards exploration and discovery, architecturally inclined, compose themselves with a sort of bombastic energy I find endearing, and appreciate a good drink.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

To actually answer the question it has to do with Warcraft 3. I really like how different the races where based on their themes. I liked the whole knights fighting honorable savage orcs, Amazonian radical tree protectors, and the undead.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:40 PM

Elune

Quote:
Ohmygod it is not even three posts in and you're derailing.
Sorry about that.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiok
I don't play a faction; I play World of Warcraft.
Pretty much that. I have my preferred character (my mage), but I don't get hung up on the color of the banner by my name.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:44 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I play Alliance because when I decided to create my current main my friend was Alliance, and I wanted to play with him, so I went Alliance. I'm not really much of an alt guy which means that's my only real high-level character. I'm not adverse to the Horde or anything.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

One thing I really like about the Alliance is how they're not as bombastic about doing things as the Horde are. When the Alliance does things, they just do it, they don't scream it out or act like a total sports team. Probably sounds too simplified but when I think of the Horde, I keep just thinking of a bunch of jocks planning on when to get the drop on some poor nerd who isn't even doing anything. And they're just doing it for the sake of doing it. (Which is also pretty apparent in their questing as well. They have justifications to do the things they do, but some things they just take it WAY too far and it gets ridiculous. I believe that's the definition of Stupid Evil in of itself.)

The Alliance have their Stupid Good moments, but I like them a lot more because they're more about inner passion. They're a volcano concealed by a giant iceberg, and once riled they show their fire when they have to. Alliance pride is more hidden and the effort it takes to find that kind of pride makes me like them a bit more than the Horde, whose pride is way easier to pinpoint. (And "For the Horde!" has just struck me as overrated now.)

If anything else though, it's got to be the races. Most players would say the Alliance doesn't have very dynamic races, but I would readily disagree with that. They've come a long way from being a standard fantasy faction ever since they've accepted a darker race like the Worgen. Dwarves and Night Elves, also seem pretty unique from most other fantasy takes on these races. Dwarves just don't feel like a sidekick race to me, even despite how things have turned out in Cataclysm. Night Elves have something unique going for them in WC3, and they still have trace amounts of that in Cataclysm.

So all in all, I simply prefer the Alliance because they're more modest than the Horde, I suppose. Their fanbase gives them a bad rap, but then again every faction or story can have its bad apple. Alliance just simply have the spotlight for now.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:45 PM

Eternal

I prefer the Alliance because I find the races more interesting. Humans, Draenei, Night Elves, and Worgen, specifically. I also greatly prefer the aesthetics of the Alliance races to the Horde ones. Plus, I only had time to play one toon back in TBC when I first started playing, and that was my Nelf. So by the time I had more time to develop alts, I was firmly entrenched in the Alliance side of things.

I do have Horde alts, and I enjoy the Horde quests and story lines well enough, but my sympathies toward the Alliance are always there.

To a lesser extent, too, the thing Mustrum brought up about playing evil characters. I loved playing through Nu Hillsbrad and doing horrific things with my Forsaken warlock. The only part of the Forsaken leveling experience that made me roll my eyes was when Sylvanas went on her spiel about how they're just trying to protect themselves, the Alliance r effecting thur rightz, blah blah blah. Less preachy, holier than though Forsaken, and more insanely evil, planting live humans as crops Forsaken.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:49 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bashiok
I don't play a faction; I play World of Warcraft.
I happen to also agree with Bashiok. In Warcraft 1-3 I played all campaigns and factions with a smile on my face and carried out my missions with full vigor and enthusiasm. That has never changed when playing World of Warcraft. I jump back and forth in playing different races and factions with equal alacrity.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:53 PM

Elune

TBH I don't believe anyone can really exclusively play one faction and not at least fine SOMETHING appealing about the opposite faction. I myself really like the Trolls because of how different they are from most other trolls tribes as well as the potential they could have with the Loa. I do also like Forsaken and Blood Elves to some extent, playing both a Forsaken Warlock and a Blood Elf Paladin (Also really wishing my Mage was Blood Elf, in fact.) I'd also play a Tauren Warrior with gusto. (Because I think Tauren are pretty epic looking Warriors.)

This mostly falls in line with my preference for races that are either beastly, sophisticated, or based on classic horror tropes. (Which Worgen harbor all three traits, but still!)
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Elune

If given the choice, I will play a draenei toon over anything else. My rogue is an orc because draenei cannot be rogues (I really miss DotA's draenei assassin hero) and I don't like any of the Alliance options. My DK is a worgen because I already have a plate wearing draenei.

So yeah. Eat it.
Old 12-08-2011, 08:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grimtale View Post
TBH I don't believe anyone can really exclusively play one faction and not at least fine SOMETHING appealing about the opposite faction. I myself really like the Trolls because of how different they are from most other trolls tribes as well as the potential they could have with the Loa. I do also like Forsaken and Blood Elves to some extent, playing both a Forsaken Warlock and a Blood Elf Paladin (Also really wishing my Mage was Blood Elf, in fact.) I'd also play a Tauren Warrior with gusto. (Because I think Tauren are pretty epic looking Warriors.)

This mostly falls in line with my preference for races that are either beastly, sophisticated, or based on classic horror tropes. (Which Worgen harbor all three traits, but still!)
I actually find many things appealing about the Alliance, most notably the draenei. However, all but two of the Alliance races I find appealing to a greater or lesser extent. The main reason I don't play the Alliance is that one of the unappealing ones controls everything, the other being that I tend to create one character in RPGs and stick to them forever.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:00 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The Alliance has a more advanced system of government and higher standard of living. If given the option of living in a hut in the desert under a government that can be overthrown by someone simply walking into the throneroom and challenging your autocrat to a duel or living in, say, a constitutional monarchy in a well constructed house with working plumbing, I'd take the latter without a second of hesitation. That's also why, of the horde, I prefer the Forsaken, Blood Elves and Goblins, because they have well defined governments and civil societies as opposed to the downright regressive societies of the orcs, tauren and trolls.

Last edited by Omacron; 12-08-2011 at 09:03 PM..
Old 12-08-2011, 09:01 PM

Eternal

D-Generation X's DX Army.

Triple H, X-Pac, Road Dogg, and Bad Ass? They were pretty powerful in the late 90's. Don't forget about Chyna either.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:02 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
a constitutional monarchy in a well constructed house with working plumbing, I'd take the latter without a second of hesitation.
Silvermoon?
Old 12-08-2011, 09:07 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kasarax View Post
D-Generation X's DX Army.

Triple H, X-Pac, Road Dogg, and Bad Ass? They were pretty powerful in the late 90's. Don't forget about Chyna either.
I like you. You can date Bolvar's sister.

And if you're not down with that, we got two words for ya.

SUCK IT!!!!!!
Old 12-08-2011, 09:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xilizhra View Post
Silvermoon?
Nope, it's a straight up dictatorship. Plus Blood Elves get mind wiped for sympathizing with not serving the desert dwelling Orcs.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:14 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Nope, it's a straight up dictatorship. Plus Blood Elves get mind wiped for sympathizing with not serving the desert dwelling Orcs.
^this^

There's no legislative body in Silvermoon providing any check to the power of the king/prince/regent first of all, and second, their government is still subservient to the all-powerful warchief.
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Objection!

That was not the only reason they were mindwiped, and the crowd was not supporting them to begin with!

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
^this^

There's no legislative body in Silvermoon providing any check to the power of the king/prince/regent first of all, and second, their government is still subservient to the all-powerful warchief.
At least the houses and plumbing are good.

Maybe Dalaran would be a decent alternative.

Tags
faction bias, horde bias, neutral bias