Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-07-2010, 05:09 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default My Stormrage review, with plot summary

Well, first of all I would like to thank Blizzplanet for the contest they hosted to give 5 copies of this novel. I don't think I would have been able to get to read it without the giveaway.

The novel follows the same format as hardback Arthas: Rise of the Lich King. Some images and maps in the beginning, and "further read" in the end. It's expensive, yes, but I like it. I guess it's because I like to collect these things. Anyway, they already confirmed paperback for A:RotLK, so Stormrage will probably get a cheaper edition, too.

Now, let's go to the plot:

The novel starts with Thura, a niece of Broxigar, wandering around some forest near Ashenvale, guided by a vision where Malfurion appears killing Broxigar. Tyrande's shitting in the middle of the Temple of the Moon, and bum, a vision, where she sees Malfurion slowly transforming into something like a tree, and realizes that, despite the efforts of her priestesses to keep him alive, he's dying. Meanwhile, Teldrassil is ill, and the druids gather at its roots to try heal it, among them Broll and Hamuul, with Naralex and Elerethe in the distance. Fandral intends to use the Idol of Remulos. In the middle of the "healing" Tyrande stops them, urging them to go to the Moonglade to see Malfurion. All while Lucan, a human cartographer, wanders aimlessly towards Auberdine.

While the druids and priestesses travel to Moonglade, we see Malfurion becoming a tree inside the Emerald Dream with the Nightmare Lord, a dark evil tree, looking over him. The group arrives to Moonglade, to find Malfurion in a perfect state. Remulos meets the party, and tells Fandral not to use the Idol. The group camp, to rest before returning to Darnassus, and, after dire comments here and there, the Nightmare starts to make its presence, attacking Tyrande in the form of shadowy creatures resembling satyrs.

From on now, we get to see the nightmares of some random people around the world. They aren't related to the main storyline, so I'll leave them at the bottom of the post. Same for the glances at what's going on on particular places and the "Malfurion torture" scenes, that are always pretty much the same: give tension but don't advance the plot too much, just catastrophic thoughs and torture by the Nightmare Lord.

After the attack, Tyrande calls Broll, and gives him a "secret mission". He'll meet Shandris at Auberdine and, together, they'll enter the Emerald Dream from Bough Shadow. Before departing to Auberdine, Broll accompanies the other druids back to Teldrassil, but abandons the group unnoticed and goes steal the Idol of Remulos. We see Thura around the random forest near Ashenvale, and the scene ends with a black dragon flying over her.

Tyrande and Shandris meet at Moonglade, and Shandris is left on charge while Tyrande goes to meet Broll. Yeah, change of plans. Tyrande, Broll and Lucan meet at a misty Auberdine, with all his inhabitants dormant. Satyrs appear all around, and Lucan teleports the 2 night elves to the Emerald Dream and then to a random place near their goal. Lucan falls asleep, Broll tries to use the Idol to contact its green dragon but Lucan awakes and stops him. The they 3 see the same black dragon flying over them, while Thura watches them 3 from the distance. When the black dragon was about to attack the 3, they suddenly vanished, making the black dragon run in fear.

Well, these were the first 110 pages, of a total 402. I'll summarize the other parts later, if people seems to like me doing so.

The visions:
-Marshal Dughan enters a kobold-infested mine and gets betrayed by a necromancer Zaldimar Wefhellt and his army of undead kobold.
-Korialstrasz dreams with Deathwing, knowing it's a nightmare, but he can't scape it.

Nice touchs:

-The statue at the middle of the Temple of the Moon gets named: Haidene, the first priestess of Elune.

Bad touchs:

-Broll is obsessed with Anessa. 1-2 mentions, ok. A mention per chapter, not ok; even more considering he suddenly forgets about her in the later chapters, save in 1-2 occasions near the middle and the ending.
-Tyrande is paranoid of becoming like Azshara. I feel it's logic, but it feels a bit out of place when she goes speaking to heself "I won't become like Azshara" when you less expect it, like when Broll calls her Great Lady.
-Moonglade is referred as "the Moonglade".

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 04-07-2010 at 06:16 AM..
Old 04-07-2010, 08:38 AM

Lord of Time

I don't see why that moonglade thing is a problem, but i guess its some veteran thing youve all agreed is wrong.(Im a noob, I know...)
The rest was quite nice, if think you summarized most the stuff worth mentioning in those first 100 pages. Good job!
Old 04-07-2010, 08:52 AM

Elune

If I get some time later, I'll try to summarize the next 100 .

There are some other good/bad things I would like to mention, but I'm saving them for when I summarize their correspondent parts.

Glad you liked it .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-07-2010, 10:18 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Moonglade is referred as "the Moonglade".
This is not a problem. Though, I will admit that Blizzard is often inconsistent with articles in zone names more so than some other things.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...4f/WC3-N03.jpg

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 04-07-2010, 10:22 AM
Slowpokeking

Take your time, I tried read the whole book in a few hours and it still hurts.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:16 AM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Take your time, I tried read the whole book in a few hours and it still hurts.
I think we can all agree this was knaaks worst book so far, but your exaggerating.
Old 04-07-2010, 11:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
I think we can all agree this was knaaks worst book so far, but your exaggerating.
I think Night of the Dragon was worse, really.

Old 04-07-2010, 02:02 PM

Lord of Time

Quote:
I disagree, but that might have something to do with the fact that i love the dragon theme I think those aleera visions and those shadow satyr shits every third line in Stormrage was really fucking annoying, and I consider it the worst WoW book ive red..
Old 04-07-2010, 02:07 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
I disagree, but that might have something to do with the fact that i love the dragon theme I think those aleera visions and those shadow satyr shits every third line in Stormrage was really fucking annoying, and I consider it the worst WoW book ive red..
His writing is painful to read, but it's not a biggest problem compare to the storyline and some characterization.
Old 04-07-2010, 06:29 PM

Elune

Question

I don't get the whole "...guided by a vision where Malfurion appears killing Broxigar." part. Broxigar is dead already and Malfurion was on the same side as Broxigar. Does she think the vision means Brox is actually alive but Malfurion is looking for him to kill him?
Old 04-07-2010, 06:31 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
I don't get the whole "...guided by a vision where Malfurion appears killing Broxigar." part. Broxigar is dead already and Malfurion was on the same side as Broxigar. Does she think the vision means Brox is actually alive but Malfurion is looking for him to kill him?
Mal'furion was trying to trick Thura to find him and attack him by using that axe so he could be freed from the nightmare lord's shackle.
Old 04-08-2010, 05:26 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
Mal'furion was trying to trick Thura to find him and attack him by using that axe so he could be freed from the nightmare lord's shackle.
Uh, yeah, my bad, should have explained Thura wanted to kill Malfurion :S .

Old 04-08-2010, 05:53 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Night of the dragon had a draenei, therefore it cannot possibly be worst.
Old 04-08-2010, 06:57 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
Night of the dragon had a draenei, therefore it cannot possibly be worst.
It felt a bit boring to read. It's not one of those novels you want to know what will happen in the next pages. The story feels too static, and it's hard to feel it progress.

I've only read it once, so I can't analyze it properly, but it didn't feel as epic as DotD, WotA or Stormrage.

Old 04-08-2010, 11:43 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Night of the Dragon was pretty bad (lolraptorarmylol), Stormrage was far, far worse.
Old 04-09-2010, 12:41 AM

Eternal

Yes please finish your review it is well written.
Old 04-09-2010, 03:56 AM

Lord of Time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Night of the Dragon was pretty bad (lolraptorarmylol), Stormrage was far, far worse.
I agree^^ It was totally a rhonin roll!

You just got Rhonin rolled!

- Never gonna give you up, always gonna let you down!
Never gonna run around and desert you!
Might just make you cry, never ever gonna say goodbye!
Possibly tell a lie and hurt you!