Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Eternal

Default Chronicle and the World of Warcraft era...

As some of you might have already noticed, there's been quite a bit of talk pertaining to the Volume II of Chronicle. And if there's one thing pretty evident from this talk, it's that as long as they would result in an increase in quality, our members would nearly universally not mind retcons or changes, as they'd like the given era to feel epic, consistent and sensible rather than inconsistent and lackluster it feels at the moment, even if it meant retcons and alterations.

Now, this got me thinking about one simple thing. Would the same apply for the World of Warcraft era, especially since the way it is at the moment is really not that different as far as lack of consistency, sensibility and even epicness goes? Would our members accept retcons and changes, if it meant there would be an increase in quality?

So, here comes the question;

Would you like Chronicle to attempt to remake the events seen in World of Warcraft so that they feel more sensible, coherent and ultimately epic, even if to do so succesfully, it'd have to resort to not so small retcons and changes?

Now, to give a concrete example;

Would you like to see Chronicle attempt to remake the War against the Lich King into a massive, costly war with a large number of wins and losses on both sides and a sensible narrative, even if to do this succesfully, it'd have to bring in a number of retcons and changes, both larger and smaller?

...or....

Would you like to see Chronicle attempt to remake the events of Cataclysm and Mists into a single, massive and coherent conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, even if to do this succesfully, it'd have to bring in a number of retcons and changes, both larger and smaller?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Eternal

Yes.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Chimaera

I would readily accept this sort of retcons, and probably even more radical ones (like rearranging the sequence of events pertaining to one or each of the WoW installments, changing the tone and mood of the setting, intoducing new concepts and elaborating on the previously established themes in an unexpected, perspective-altering manner, etc.).
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

I want Chronicle to retcon the Adventurers and give them different personas, up to the class champions.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Eternal

Expanding upon my opinion: I would absolutely love this. Indeed, it's more or less what I have been doing with my post-Third War timeline, in which I order and organize events slightly differently, have a longer timespan, and assume correlation, cause and effect for events.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
I... radical ones (like rearranging the sequence of events pertaining to one or each of the WoW installments, changing the tone and mood of the setting, intoducing new concepts and elaborating on the previously established themes in an unexpected, perspective-altering manner, etc.).
That's something I really had on mind when I was speaking of larger changes. And I would accept them as well, even welcome them in many cases. lIncluding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I want Chronicle to retcon the Adventurers and give them different personas, up to the class champions.
Indeed, that's something I'd like to see as well. There's even a precedent for that in the old RTS games, for example the orc character of Warcraft I being "retconned" into Doomhammer (who was invented in Warcraft II).

Edit: For example, I'd like to see the two Warlords Commanders to be two named characters, both part of their respective military, both friends to either Taylor or Nazgrim, both rising through the ranks as the war progresses, ultimately being named to lead the expedition to the alternative Draenor.

Last edited by Marthen; 02-16-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

The Horde Warlord should be a Blood Elf for maximum irony

Tags
warcraft, world of warcraft