Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-09-2017, 11:46 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
I like the idea of them growing a new tree... perhaps Duskwood, as it's been suggested, or even in the Dalaran crater... and you could always start a fresh island off the coast of Stormwind or Gilneas...
Throw out what’s left of the Gurubashi and pirates of Booty Bay and grow a tree in Zul’Gurub. Mending wants jungle elves.
Old 11-09-2017, 11:58 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
Throw out what’s left of the Gurubashi and pirates of Booty Bay and grow a tree in Zul’Gurub. Mending wants jungle elves.
The possibilities are endless. Swamp of Sorrows is an interesting option. The Wetlands are another potential location...
Old 11-09-2017, 03:59 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
You shit your whore mouth.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:03 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Night Elf Icon (War3)

Not sure whether growing another gigantic tree on a titan is such a great idea. Especially on a wounded one infested with Old Gods.

The roots may dig too deep again.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:12 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Grow it in Brooklyn.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:34 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Not sure whether growing another gigantic tree on a titan is such a great idea. Especially on a wounded one infested with Old Gods.

The roots may dig too deep again.
Poor Azeroth is having a tough puberty.
Old 11-09-2017, 04:42 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Poor Azeroth is having a tough puberty.
So are you saying the World Trees are - nevermind. I can't complete that thought.
Old 11-11-2017, 11:35 PM

Ranger

The Night Elves could have gone Horde...
Old 11-12-2017, 12:02 AM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
The Night Elves could have gone Horde...
Murdering Cenarius and defiling Ashenvale alongside being tainted with demonic blood killed that possibility.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:36 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
Murdering Cenarius and defiling Ashenvale alongside being tainted with demonic blood killed that possibility.
But muh savage elves.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 11-12-2017, 01:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
But muh savage elves.
Bad Noitora. Bad.
Old 11-12-2017, 10:16 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apep View Post
The Warsong isn't the fill of the Horde. And really, it's not like the Forsaken were any less of a stretch for the Horde.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 11-12-2017 at 10:22 AM..
Old 11-12-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
The Warsong isn't the fill of the Horde. And really, it's not like the Forsaken were any less of a stretch for the Horde.
The night elves were less of a stretch for the Alliance than for the Horde, so it is only reasonable that that's where they ended up.

The Forsaken and Sin'dorei were a stretch for the Horde, but you don't use bad decisions to justify even worse ones.
Old 11-12-2017, 02:34 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

They never needed the tree to begin with, so fuck it.

Just rebuild Stormwind's Park. Nevermind, just noticed they put Varian in there.

Just move back to Nordrassil then.

Teldrassil was a mistake anyway.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-12-2017, 02:54 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
The night elves were less of a stretch for the Alliance than for the Horde, so it is only reasonable that that's where they ended up.

The Forsaken and Sin'dorei were a stretch for the Horde, but you don't use bad decisions to justify even worse ones.
"Forsaken" may have been a stretch for the Horde, but "Undead" has a loong history with them.
Old 11-12-2017, 03:54 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami
Just move back to Nordrassil then.
That's what I've been saying!
Old 11-13-2017, 02:32 AM

Eternal

Them moving to Nordrassil would be dope. They should get a new capital city in Hyjal, Feralas (Feathermoon or Eldre'Thalas) or Seradane. The Forsaken could get Caer Darrow.

The issue is that, as far as we know, there won't be any replacement :/

Edit: Thinking more about it, these options could be pretty awesome.

Night Elf capital being:

Hyjal Peak - the ruins of Lar'dornir are rebuilt into a temple of Elune, and Goldrinn's Shrine becomes the worgen district. The Shrine of Aviana holds the flight path;

Feathermoon Stronghold - expanded beyond its current territory, this and Hyjal offer th opportunity to again use the Warcraft 3 buildings, such as Trees of Life, Ages and Eternity, and Ancients of Wonder and Wind.

Eldre'Thalas - a fully remodeled city using the artwork and style of Nar'Thalas, with the West Wing probably being the city core. Maybe in the East Wing there is a druidic enclave, and a military base in the North Wing.

---

As for the Forsaken, Caer Darrow could present a fortified ground level city, with a bunch of shady stuff going on in the Scholomance.

Alternatively, there's Stratholme, which with new models could also make for a cool Forsaken capital.

Last edited by Ethenil; 11-13-2017 at 03:28 AM..
Old 11-13-2017, 04:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Hyjal would be a terrible place to center their whole society.
It's isolated, the path is dangerous (Felwood, Winterspring and Darkwhisper Gorge in the way), and the Horde seems to be controlling the north of Kalimdor, so the night elves, even if undisturbed in Hyjal, would be contained.

Feralas has more potential, but still, while I totally see elven military forces resisting in the forests of Kalimdor, I doubt it would be wise to keep a large civilian population in the continent.

Realocation is not easy, night elves will be homeless for quite some time. I also wonder what will happen to Nighthaven and Nordrassil. An event like the burning of Teldrassil may lead to the night elves either breaking off the Cenarion Circle or expelling all horde members (can you really stay neutral when a side commits such heinous crime to your people?) but I doubt Blizzard will care to phase those areas.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 11-13-2017, 04:15 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Why should the war be symmetrical anyway?

Kick out the Forsaken from Lordaeron, but leave Ashenvale where it is, with the same old frontlines.

This constant "no one must lose more than the other" is what ruins the faction war in the first place.

If it was me, I would have made high elves the playable subrace instead of the void retards, and retaken both Lordaeron and Quel'Thalas (blood elf civil war). Teldrassil can still burn for all I care, and Ashenvale could be a warzone, but the night elves would still hold their original territory.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 11-13-2017, 04:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Why should the war be symmetrical anyway?

Kick out the Forsaken from Lordaeron, but leave Ashenvale where it is, with the same old frontlines.

This constant "no one must lose more than the other" is what ruins the faction war in the first place.

If it was me, I would have made high elves the playable subrace instead of the void retards, and retaken both Lordaeron and Quel'Thalas (blood elf civil war). Teldrassil can still burn for all I care, and Ashenvale could be a warzone, but the night elves would still hold their original territory.
I bet the night elves will be fighting all over Ashenvale, but the loss of Teldrassil means they have no supply lines to feed them.

I think the features trailer for the expansion ends up showing the timeline well: Teldrassil burns, and the Horde conquests starts not from Barrens/Azshara/Orgrimmar, but from the north. Meanwhile, the Alliance conquest of EK starts from Khaz Modan and moves north, taking Gilneas and Arathi first, then proceeding to Tirisfal.

As such, the Horde attack may be succesful because it essentially cuts the elves in Ashenvale off of any help from the north. Ashenvale is flanked by the Horde, and any other night elf holdings (Moonglade, Hyjal, Feralas) are too far to provide meaningful help.

Old 11-13-2017, 05:11 AM

Eternal

In the end, there is no reason (except for catering to the race's fans) the Kaldorei need to keep their hold on Northern Kalimdor, at least for the time being. One of the things that made the old RTS games impactful was a dire sense of consequence. With Warcraft II, we learned Azeroth and Khaz Modan were conquered and ruined, and subsequently had seen the ravaging of the north, the breaking of the Horde, the destruction of Draenor, Warcraft III scourged Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas, moved the Horde west, formed and broke the Scourge, and so on. Homelands lost, large migrations, carnage. Why can't we have this again? Because it is rough for the fans? That way, the game will stay plagued by the lack of consequence and status quo it has been plagued by for years.
Old 11-13-2017, 05:31 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
In the end, there is no reason (except for catering to the race's fans) the Kaldorei need to keep their hold on Northern Kalimdor, at least for the time being. One of the things that made the old RTS games impactful was a dire sense of consequence. With Warcraft II, we learned Azeroth and Khaz Modan were conquered and ruined, and subsequently had seen the ravaging of the north, the breaking of the Horde, the destruction of Draenor, Warcraft III scourged Lordaeron, Quel'Thalas, moved the Horde west, formed and broke the Scourge, and so on. Homelands lost, large migrations, carnage. Why can't we have this again? Because it is rough for the fans? That way, the game will stay plagued by the lack of consequence and status quo it has been plagued by for years.
You are totally right.

Old 11-13-2017, 09:26 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I like the Night-Elves-to-Nordrassil idea.

And I think the Forsaken should just move to Stratholme. It's close to their Blood Elf allies, and they can share the starting area.
Old 11-13-2017, 09:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
And I think the Forsaken should just move to Stratholme. It's close to their Blood Elf allies, and they can share the starting area.
Plus, it's burning. I support this idea. Let the forsaken burn.

Old 11-13-2017, 12:18 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
And yet, Orc's kept Orgrimmar.

So, here's the thing. You aren't wrong. In theory.

Once again, as is often the case, it's not the premise, it's the execution. And already, without seeing anything else, we know the execution is flawed by the events we know are going to take place.

Northern Kalimdor isn't just land. It's realistically the "only" place Night Elves can live long term in comfort en masse. It's the only place with woods thick enough for it, it's the only place with entire zones blessed with eternal moonlight. They are a nocturnal race. That has some drawbacks.

But even if we look past that, because honestly rule of cool...

That's all sacred land. Animals that are sacred to their religion, moonwells that have been around for thousands of years that are sacred to the point Old Gods and Legion demons couldn't get to it.

Now, there isn't a reason the Night Elves can't lose that and fight to get it back. But that's not the problem, here. The Night Elves losing land isn't the problem.

The fact that instead of fighting to get the Night Elves land back, the first thing the Alliance does is strike out to get the Undercity.

Not strike out to preserve and retake the forests that the Night Elves need to live long term. Not strike out to protect the lands that are just now beginning to be cleansed enough to birth new ancients after the third war. Not strike out to protect the Ancients and their governments, who also resided in those lands.

Instead, it's Undercity. There isn't an excuse for this that retains the ability for Night Elves to regain their land, because the only valid excuse for that is....for all of that to be gone. Reduced to ashes.

And that, in the end, is what's fundamentally broken about Night Elves.

They are viewed as purple high elves. Not as the nocturnal elves living in the enchanted forest surrounded by highly sacred wells dedicated to their goddess. Not as beings who's entire culture has been centered around certain things concerning nature.

And because that's how they are viewed, the circle of ancients will fall, because Undercity is somehow more important. The Frostsaber line, sacred to the bone, will be vanquished. The moonwells, direct lines to Elune, will be tainted.

And all of that will be seen as secondary to Undercity.

The problem is not that Night Elves lost. It's that they lost, and the priority from their allies wasn't to get it back.

Tags
critical thinking