Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-16-2017, 09:28 AM

Eternal

Default Chronicle and the World of Warcraft era...

As some of you might have already noticed, there's been quite a bit of talk pertaining to the Volume II of Chronicle. And if there's one thing pretty evident from this talk, it's that as long as they would result in an increase in quality, our members would nearly universally not mind retcons or changes, as they'd like the given era to feel epic, consistent and sensible rather than inconsistent and lackluster it feels at the moment, even if it meant retcons and alterations.

Now, this got me thinking about one simple thing. Would the same apply for the World of Warcraft era, especially since the way it is at the moment is really not that different as far as lack of consistency, sensibility and even epicness goes? Would our members accept retcons and changes, if it meant there would be an increase in quality?

So, here comes the question;

Would you like Chronicle to attempt to remake the events seen in World of Warcraft so that they feel more sensible, coherent and ultimately epic, even if to do so succesfully, it'd have to resort to not so small retcons and changes?

Now, to give a concrete example;

Would you like to see Chronicle attempt to remake the War against the Lich King into a massive, costly war with a large number of wins and losses on both sides and a sensible narrative, even if to do this succesfully, it'd have to bring in a number of retcons and changes, both larger and smaller?

...or....

Would you like to see Chronicle attempt to remake the events of Cataclysm and Mists into a single, massive and coherent conflict between the Horde and the Alliance, even if to do this succesfully, it'd have to bring in a number of retcons and changes, both larger and smaller?
Old 02-16-2017, 09:42 AM

Eternal

Yes.
Old 02-16-2017, 10:03 AM

Chimaera

I would readily accept this sort of retcons, and probably even more radical ones (like rearranging the sequence of events pertaining to one or each of the WoW installments, changing the tone and mood of the setting, intoducing new concepts and elaborating on the previously established themes in an unexpected, perspective-altering manner, etc.).
Old 02-16-2017, 11:01 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

I want Chronicle to retcon the Adventurers and give them different personas, up to the class champions.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:14 AM

Eternal

Expanding upon my opinion: I would absolutely love this. Indeed, it's more or less what I have been doing with my post-Third War timeline, in which I order and organize events slightly differently, have a longer timespan, and assume correlation, cause and effect for events.
Old 02-16-2017, 11:20 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thornedale View Post
I... radical ones (like rearranging the sequence of events pertaining to one or each of the WoW installments, changing the tone and mood of the setting, intoducing new concepts and elaborating on the previously established themes in an unexpected, perspective-altering manner, etc.).
That's something I really had on mind when I was speaking of larger changes. And I would accept them as well, even welcome them in many cases. lIncluding...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
I want Chronicle to retcon the Adventurers and give them different personas, up to the class champions.
Indeed, that's something I'd like to see as well. There's even a precedent for that in the old RTS games, for example the orc character of Warcraft I being "retconned" into Doomhammer (who was invented in Warcraft II).

Edit: For example, I'd like to see the two Warlords Commanders to be two named characters, both part of their respective military, both friends to either Taylor or Nazgrim, both rising through the ranks as the war progresses, ultimately being named to lead the expedition to the alternative Draenor.

Last edited by Marthen; 02-16-2017 at 11:30 AM..
Old 02-16-2017, 11:45 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

The Horde Warlord should be a Blood Elf for maximum irony
Old 02-16-2017, 11:48 AM

Eternal

In my headcanon, there were several garrisons, with the ones at Lunarfall/Frostwall being the strongest/main ones.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:03 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krainz View Post
The Horde Warlord should be a Blood Elf for maximum irony
If we were aiming for that, sure. But if speaking of a serious reconstruction, I think either a Tauren or a Troll would work best.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:05 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
In my headcanon, there were several garrisons, with the ones at Lunarfall/Frostwall being the strongest/main ones.
Isn't that basically what the quest hubs that you build throughout Draenor are? Things like Highpass in Gorgrond and Southport in Arak.
Old 02-16-2017, 12:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Admiral Taylor had a garrison in Spires of Arak too.
Old 02-16-2017, 01:34 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

Interesting thread. I think we'll have to wait for Chronicles 3 to find out. I heard somewhere that Chronicles 2 is about Draenor.
Old 02-16-2017, 02:26 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Isn't that basically what the quest hubs that you build throughout Draenor are? Things like Highpass in Gorgrond and Southport in Arak.
That's certainly how it always felt to me.

... and you know, between the early design intent of players being able to plant their garrison in any zone, and the later design implementation in Legion of players being able to play through leveling zones in any order, I feel like we're getting closer to a stage where players might be able to really curate different experiences across alts, so long as Blizzard doesn't overextend themselves like they did with the garrison-as-implemented.

To the point of the OP: I'm always okay with retcons if it results in a more coherent narrative, but I think it'll be hard to predict exactly what Blizzard does in terms of establishing what the War in Northrend looks like until we see their rendering of something that actually had player involvement. So Vol. 2 is really going to give us the most guidance on this.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.

Last edited by MisterCrow; 02-16-2017 at 02:31 PM..
Old 02-17-2017, 11:22 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
Interesting thread. I think we'll have to wait for Chronicles 3 to find out. I heard somewhere that Chronicles 2 is about Draenor.
Chronicles 3 would in all likelihood just be the interim between WC2 and WC3 and WC3. WoW territory probably could be the 4th book.
Old 02-18-2017, 02:08 AM

Eternal

According to Matt Burns on Twitter, Vol III will go "Probably up to Cata".

This is pretty awesome, and makes me believe we'll get a Vol IV for Cata+.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:16 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Your headcanon is wrong, and you should feel wrong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:54 PM

Loremaster

I seem to recall that the non-native quest hubs were pretty specifically treated as "outposts" rather than Garrisons. The two successful Garrisons (one for each faction) were made to be self-sufficient and actually built up their own forces, while the outposts came across as being of two types: those built, staffed and supplied by the Garrisons, and those established by advance forces out of Stormshield and Warspear.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:15 PM

Eternal

Quote:
According to Matt Burns on Twitter, Vol III will go "Probably up to Cata".

This is pretty awesome, and makes me believe we'll get a Vol IV for Cata+.
So...

Volume I: The origins of the universe, the rise and fall of the Titans, the ordering of Azeroth, the War of the Ancients, all pre-DP Azeroth history.
Volume II: The origins of Draenor, all pre-DP Draenor history, the First War, the Second War, and the destruction of Draenor.
Volume III: The aftermath of the Second War, the Third War, the four years following the battle of Mount Hyjal, the reopening of the Dark Portal and the war in Outland, the war in Northrend and the fall of the Lich King.
Volume IV: The Shattering, Deathwing's Gambit and the Age of Mortals, the Mists of Pandaria, the Iron Invasion, Old Draenor.

That's actually a pretty great roadmap.

I mean, another way to interpret Burns is that volume 3 could include Cataclysm, but that's a LOT to cover in one book. But it also means that Vol. 4 would be able to include everything from Mists to maybe whatever comes after Legion.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:26 PM

Elune

Volume 2 is being shipped out for certain people. Evidently Wowhead got their copy today.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Volume 2 is being shipped out for certain people. Evidently Wowhead got their copy today.
Wonder if Ian got his copy.
Old 02-18-2017, 11:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
I mean, another way to interpret Burns is that volume 3 could include Cataclysm, but that's a LOT to cover in one book. But it also means that Vol. 4 would be able to include everything from Mists to maybe whatever comes after Legion.
Hopefully not. Vol. III ending with the fall of the Lich King fits pretty well thematically, as much as Vol. II ending with the destruction of Draenor. Cataclysm would seem out of place, plus I do not see how could they fit in that much.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:42 AM

Elune

WoW territory must be quite hard to put in, with the multiple enemies, characters and new settings.

I wonder how they'll do that.

I really hope there'll be a volume IV, but we haven't heard anything about it, did we?

Last edited by Jungleluke; 02-19-2017 at 02:45 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 02:50 AM

Eternal

I think Vol IV will be the Cataclysm, the Fourth War (Cata+MoP), the Timeshift War (WoD) and the Third Invasion (Legion). Possibly whatever comes after, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Your headcanon is wrong, and you should feel wrong.
I missed you too Nostradammit :3

Last edited by Ethenil; 02-19-2017 at 02:53 AM..
Old 02-19-2017, 04:49 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Did they say that there was going to be a v4 or that v3 will include cata?

Also the Lich King war was costly, according to the books, and cata quests. Blame the game for inconsistencies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 02-19-2017, 05:01 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
Did they say that there was going to be a v4 or that v3 will include cata?
Matt Burns said that Volune III will probably go up to Cataclysm. Not sure if I should interpret it as including or not, though I am going with the latter option, makes more sense to me thematically.

As for Volume IV, nothing confirmed so far, but I would presume that we might get it some day, if perhaps after a pause.

Tags
warcraft, world of warcraft