Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 09-16-2011, 02:55 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default RIP WoW Magazine

Sadly the Official World of WarCraft Magazine is going to officially end with issue #5 (just when they were starting to fill it with all kinds of lore info!). No reason was given other than that Blizzard and Future US have decided to focus their efforts on other areas.

The magazine is offering current subscribers a "refund" gift of all the pets from the Blizzard Store. Otherwise to obtain an actual refund subscribers can write a snail mail letter to Future US requesting one.
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Default World of Warcraft Magazine discontinued: Sad Day for Lore

I just saw this on MMO Champion.

Quote:

Just got an e-mail about the magazine being canceled.

Dear Subscriber,

The World of Warcraft Official Magazine is ending its run, and the current issue, #5, will be the last one.

This has been a difficult decision to come to. Although both Blizzard Entertainment and Future US are very proud of the magazines that we have created together, we have each decided to focus our efforts on other areas.

We really appreciate your support for the magazine and would like to offer you a premium based on your remaining subscription term, or, if you prefer, a full refund of your remaining balance instead. To redeem your premium or request a refund, please visit www.worldofwarcraftthemagazine.com by September 30, 2011.

On the website, you'll need to input the following code to access your options:

(Please be aware this code is non-transferable and can only be used once.)

Again, we would like to thank you for your continued support and hope you enjoy reading issue 5 as much as we enjoyed making it.

With thanks,
Future US and Blizzard Entertainment
They're offering either 6 pets or a refund.

Just when it was starting to give good lore!
Old 09-16-2011, 02:56 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Default "WOW Official Magazine is ending its run"

Issue 5 is the last one and everyone who has a subscription can choose to get a refund (by sending them a letter which is kind of a pain in the ass) or 6 mini-pets + 2 years of PC Gamer and 1 exclusive Kwurky Plush (Blizzcon 2009). (The amount of items depends on how much money they owe you most people will just get the mini-pets...) So what do you guys think? Should I ask them for a refund or take the "premium" offer? I would prefer the money but there's now place where I can see how much I'd get and I'm not really fond of having to send them a letter.

Last edited by Nazja; 09-16-2011 at 03:04 PM..
Old 09-16-2011, 02:57 PM

Keeper of Lore

I know!

The "refund" is just the Blizzard Store pets which I've already purchased. I think it's pretty shitty that you have to snail mail them to request a real refund.

Damn just when I finished making a thread... So what do you guys think? take the goods or the money?
Those whit a 2 year subscription get this:

Last edited by Nazja; 09-16-2011 at 03:00 PM..

Elune

Makes you wonder what is going on...

Not enough people to keep it going?

Not enough time?

Something going on with WoW?

Priestess of the Moon

have they given any reason?

low no. of subscriber? too much hassle? out of ideas?
Old 09-16-2011, 02:58 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

I wonder what will become of the Warcraft Saga comic, it said there would be a new chapter each issue.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:01 PM

Eternal

How much are they saying these mini-pets are worth? I'd take the money personally. I'd like it best if they gave me free months of game time instead.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:03 PM

60 + 35 + 75. 170 total. The thing is I don't even know if the pet codes they give can be sold or if they will be refundable in europe or just usa.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:06 PM

Keeper of Lore

I wish they'd given me the option of just Kwurky - I'd have taken that. I mean, I have all the pets. Why would I want duplicates?
Old 09-16-2011, 03:08 PM

Wow... that was... unexpected.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:12 PM

Huntress

Unhappy World of Warcraft Magazine discontinued: Sad Day for Lore

Got this in a post box:

Quote:
Dear Subscriber,

The World of Warcraft Official Magazine is ending its run, and the current issue, #5, will be the last one.

This has been a difficult decision to come to. Although both Blizzard Entertainment and Future US are very proud of the magazines that we have created together, we have each decided to focus our efforts on other areas.

We really appreciate your support for the magazine and would like to offer you a premium based on your remaining subscription term, or, if you prefer, a full refund of your remaining balance instead. To redeem your premium or request a refund, please visit www.worldofwarcraftthemagazine.com by September 30.
Well, at least we got Brann's Journal out of it.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:13 PM

So I looked up how much I had payed for those 8 issues and think that, even though I already have those mini-pets, taking their "premium" offer might be more profitable... 65 Euro < 80 Euro
Old 09-16-2011, 03:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

There are now four threads about this. Learn to search function, people.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
There are now four threads about this. Learn to search function, people.
Or simply the "New Posts" button...

Last edited by handclaw; 09-17-2011 at 02:01 AM..
Old 09-16-2011, 03:32 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

Honestly, Blizzard just sucks ass at this sort of supplemental media, and that's the bottom line.

They produce a podcast about once a year. The magazine fails. The comic books are inconsistent. The novels are farmed out to the same 2 authors, one of which is patently bad.

Expect the card game to get re-orged again, and rights for that sold back to Upper Deck or some other company.

Honestly, they should be taking these intellectual properties and going full-on Disney-style with them, making cartoons, movies, toys, theme parks, the works. Instead, we get these half-assed failures. Someone in charge sucks over there. I don't know if I should blame Activision, because it's not like Blizzard was all that good at it prior to the acquisition.

Oh, and you might as well take the goody bag. Something tells me it will be a very long time before you see any actual cash refund. Personally, I think they could have made a better offer (six months free WoW or something), but, whatever.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:42 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
Sadly the Official World of WarCraft Magazine is going to officially end with issue #5 (just when they were starting to fill it with all kinds of lore info!). No reason was given other than that Blizzard and Future US have decided to focus their efforts on other areas.

The magazine is offering current subscribers a "refund" gift of all the pets from the Blizzard Store. Otherwise to obtain an actual refund subscribers can write a snail mail letter to Future US requesting one.
I'm glad my subscription ran out after issue 5 then. I was planning to renew it at Blizzcon, but, eh, no biggie. Shame, too, lots of good lore there and I was looking forward to future issues of that comic featuring the titans.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Oh, and you might as well take the goody bag. Something tells me it will be a very long time before you see any actual cash refund. Personally, I think they could have made a better offer (six months free WoW or something), but, whatever.
From their FAQ:
The refunds will take a bit of time to process and for mail delivery depending on where you live. Please allow 8-10 weeks for processing and delivery.

I just took the refund and will try to sell the codes on ebay. If the plush is expensive on ebay I might also sell it and with some luck I might get more money out of it than I payed.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:48 PM

I'm glad my sub was only for 4 issues and 5 was the last one I was getting. I was planning to re-up it at Blizzcon (assuming they were to have another booth) but, meh, no harm no foul.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:55 PM
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I'm not surprised. Oh well
Old 09-16-2011, 03:56 PM

Site Staff - Admin

It's not that unexpected. They were high quality magazines, definitely, but the availability wasn't great and there weren't many who actually subscribed. Some just subsided off the previews or read summaries from other people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post
Expect the card game to get re-orged again, and rights for that sold back to Upper Deck or some other company.

Cryptozoic has been doing a better job at the TCG than Upper Deck did. I don't think they'll be going back there. There's even that rumour that in 2012 the game is going to get digitized or incorporated into WoW itself.
Old 09-16-2011, 03:57 PM

Didn't upper deck do something illegal with selling counterfeit cards or something? I thought that's why Blizz dropped them.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:00 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

The whole enterprise was a debacle, and the more I think about it, the more I wonder, what the hell were they thinking?

Blizzard obviously does not commit sufficient resources to organizing and growing their intellectual property and exploiting it via non-gaming media. What they need are a full staff of writers organized under someone who has real industry experience - like someone who has worked as a lead editor in the comic book business. They ought to be cultivating in-house authors to produce novels, comics, and lore articles, and then take the next step with screenplays for television and movies.

They don't appear to be doing any of this. It appears that they had a few writers with some time to contribute to a side project, so they decided to put out a magazine. Said writers are now busy working on efforts like the next expansion, so they don't have time to continue the mag.

That's just my guess. I'd love to have half a day with the likes of Morhaime and Metzen and see what they're really doing behind the doors in Irvine.

All I know is that starting a magazine and then shutting it down so soon looks like amateur hour. It reeks of poor planning. And don't even get me started on the distribution model. I never saw a copy anywhere in a book store or a game store.

It's the same with other crap like the podcast. No dedicated staff, no accountability, just fart out something every once in a while when you have time. If you feel like it.
Old 09-16-2011, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Didn't upper deck do something illegal with selling counterfeit cards or something? I thought that's why Blizz dropped them.
yep they made fake yu-gi-oh cards