Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 08-21-2008, 06:30 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drz View Post
http://www.wow-europe.com/wrath/intro.xml

Very poetric imo, no action at all tho. And is it just me or did or did Arthas' helm/face just not look right? :/
Maybe it didn't look right because it was a whole lot more detailed. I thought it was amazing, very poetic and really made me like Arthas a whole lot more as a character, even if it didn't have people throwing around fireballs, sword swings, and such.
Old 08-21-2008, 06:34 AM

Elune

Never mind what i said about the head, i checked the video now in High Quality and it looks good enough for me now.
Old 08-21-2008, 08:57 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Not as good as the WAR one, but pretty awesome still.

That "realistic" Frost Wyrm looks pretty damn badass.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:36 AM

Elune

Okay this little information makes the cinematic abit cooler:

The dragon Lich King raises is called Sindragosa, and she is the queen of the Frost, and there is a place called Sindragosas' fall:

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...sindragosa.jpg

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...indragosa2.jpg

http://static.mmo-champion.com/mmoc/...agosasfall.jpg
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

She's not in the Twilight Grove, right?
Old 08-21-2008, 09:43 AM

Elune

Nah, they just data mined her model and putted in somewhere. Prolly one of the last bosses of the game.

EDIT: Unless they decide to make her a outdoor raid boss before the launch of WoTLK. :| I doubt that tho tbh.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:29 AM

Faerie Dragon
Send a message via MSN to Hades

So finally it seems that Ner'zhul is forgotten.

But well, it's a nice cinematic. Blizzard has done better movies but it's enjoyable. For people like me who still want to see Lordaeron rebuilt, that Terenas monologue in the movie it's a bit special
Old 08-21-2008, 11:35 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Not as good as the WAR one, but pretty awesome still.
I actually thought the WAR cinematic was generic crap.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:40 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
I actually thought the WAR cinematic was generic crap.
It was like the vanilla-WoW and BC cinematics, except that this time the name of the game is PvP, unlike in WoW.

Also, it had lots of good scenery, mob scenes with lots of eye candy, fight scenes that weren't cut short after two strikes AND a huge-ass vulture demon monster thing.

Definitely better than any of the three WoW cinematics (from my point of view).

Old 08-21-2008, 11:49 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
It was like the vanilla-WoW and BC cinematics, except that this time the name of the game is PvP, unlike in WoW.

Also, it had lots of good scenery, mob scenes with lots of eye candy, fight scenes that weren't cut short after two strikes AND a huge-ass vulture demon monster thing.

Definitely better than any of the three WoW cinematics (from my point of view).
We all have opinions, but it felt like nothing I have not seen from FF11 and a billion other MMOs.

Good guy kills bad guy, bad guy hurts good guy, bad guy killed by good girl, sexy chick appears and stops good girl, before everyone runs away so the big wonky demon dude could show off his vulture monster thing.

The WoW cinematics may have been short, but they felt focused and and didn't feel generic. They showed off regions, unique races, some action cut in with some narration. The scene with Illidan screaming at the players all meta was way better then vulture "thing".

The WOTLK cinematic gave me chills when he summoned the frostwyrm, all the detail. The WAR cinematic made me yawn.
Old 08-21-2008, 11:58 AM

Elune

How can "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" be cooler than a Greater Demon of Tzeentch? Oh well we all got our opinions, i liked WAR's simply because thats how Games-workshop portrayes the good and bad guys, Good guys always fightning impossible odds, and the goblin being the humoristic character was good too. The violence on the video was the best thing tho.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:07 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Blizzard keeps outdoing themselves on making their cinematics fail!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:09 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
How can "YOU ARE NOT PREPARED" be cooler than a Greater Demon of Tzeentch?.
It might be the fact I don't know what a "Greater Demon of Tzeenatch" is, since I find the world of Warhammer to be a bloated peice of crap without a real heart to it. (Yes, even 40K, which I know has more fanboys around the world then anything WarCraft could ever manage.) I won't argue what I just said because I know it is an opinion, but Warhammer bores me to tears when it is anything other then the Orkz.

Anyways, even if that thing was the most massive boss in all of Warhammer, and a god among creatures, my friend said it best when he said "Why is that demon man summoning a giant turkey?" This game needs to present itself a lot better if they plan to hit the average player who knows nothing about Warhammer.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:14 PM

Elune

Quote:
Anyways, even if that thing was the most massive boss in all of Warhammer, and a god among creatures, my friend said it best when he said "Why is that demon man summoning a giant turkey?" This game needs to present itself a lot better if they plan to hit the average player who knows nothing about Warhammer
Yes because everyone will see it as a turkey, right? I think the video shows exactly what Warhammer Online is about, its about Realm vs. Realm. To destroy the enemy faction and so forth, just as WoTLK Cinematic shows that Northrend has undead and frost wyrms, oh and the Lich King!
Old 08-21-2008, 12:21 PM

Eternal

I am actually worried that I didnt stood awestruck by any of those two cinemas.

I agre with Scythe on some things, what Warhammer video had was nothing new its like evil is sexy and stuff like that somehow.

But what I especifically didnt like about the wotlk video is that they throw ner´zhul out of the window and seem to focus almost only on arthas.

Well I guess he is the king and all but... still Ner´Zhul deserves at least some mention
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:51 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Yes because everyone will see it as a turkey, right? I think the video shows exactly what Warhammer Online is about, its about Realm vs. Realm. To destroy the enemy faction and so forth, just as WoTLK Cinematic shows that Northrend has undead and frost wyrms, oh and the Lich King!
Well, others may see it as a giant vulture, which is not any more compelling to me.

And yes, while it may be promoting a realm vs. realm game, it does not stop it from feeling generic. The human mage looked like the town defenses just hired him from the local carnival, the high elf was the classic archer chick, the dwarf was drinking beer as the demon dude walked in, and the dark elf chick had to be walking around like a *** kitten. The only part that interested me was the Goblin hitting the Squig because it was pretty funny and interesting.

While the Lich King cinematic is not my favorite of all they have ever done, it is still really good and has a good dramatic tension to it. Could it have been better? Yes, but at least I like the fact they are trying to bring some of the lore back in the cinematics. It set the entire tone for the expansion very well, and felt like WarCraft, not generic fantasy seige battle.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Well, others may see it as a giant vulture, which is not any more compelling to me.

And yes, while it may be promoting a realm vs. realm game, it does not stop it from feeling generic. The human mage looked like the town defenses just hired him from the local carnival, the high elf was the classic archer chick, the dwarf was drinking beer as the demon dude walked in, and the dark elf chick had to be walking around like a *** kitten. The only part that interested me was the Goblin hitting the Squig because it was pretty funny and interesting.

While the Lich King cinematic is not my favorite of all they have ever done, it is still really good and has a good dramatic tension to it. Could it have been better? Yes, but at least I like the fact they are trying to bring some of the lore back in the cinematics. It set the entire tone for the expansion very well, and felt like WarCraft, not generic fantasy seige battle.
Well the playable chaos race does believe in the raven god, not saying their god is an actual raven but the greater demons are, and atleast its not your stereotypical red bull-alike demon you see everywhere.

The human mage (Bright Wizard) is a pyromaniac and i can't help the fact this is how Games-workshop portrayes them, they got some crazy hairstyles (punk too!) ingame and crazy moustache+beard combos. I guess you see them as carnival people but even WoW has hads its share of clown looks (Warlock Tier 3 comes in mind).

The high elf chick was a Shadow Warrior which is your typical Legolas class, and then the Dark elf sorceror which is your typical caster. But atleast they were better than WoW's druid who is just randomly running somewhere and then getting beaten up by a half naked old Orc.

But yeah its your opinion, but atleast in my opinion it did show what WAR is about and is it just me, who sees the good guys as Heroic when their getting ready to fight unbelieable things such as turkey demons?! Oh and i thought the dwarf drinking the beer was funny. Typical dwarf behaviour you can get from any fantasy setting.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:06 PM

Elune

Quote:

Yups. Mythic portrays its characters loyally to their portrayals in the tabletop game, which in itself created A LOT of fantasy stereotypes, so you blame them for making a stereotypic fantasy vid.

If they made something drastic and different, fanboys would whine about them not being loyal to the tabletop game.

They had to choose one or the other.

Old 08-21-2008, 01:20 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Yups. Mythic portrays its characters loyally to their portrayals in the tabletop game, which in itself created A LOT of fantasy stereotypes, so you blame them for making a stereotypic fantasy vid.

If they made something drastic and different, fanboys would whine about them not being loyal to the tabletop game.

They had to choose one or the other.
Well we have seen the results of companies solding out, so ill stick with the loyalty option
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Old 08-21-2008, 01:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Downloading now. Awesome cinematic
Old 08-21-2008, 01:34 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
So finally it seems that Ner'zhul is forgotten.
I don't know. There has to be a reason that they had Earl Boen (the voice of Ner'zhul) do the voice of Terenas in this cinematic.

Anyway, this cinematic was just beautiful. Story-relevant, expanded on Arthas' character (who knew they could still do that...?) and in general, was just one of the top... 2 writing pieces I've seen in this game. The only thing that even comes close is Tirion's speech in the Blood and Honor questline.

Here we see Arthas' motivation more plainly laid out. Every word Terenas says is like another nail in his coffin. We see how he became so self-absorbed and arrogant (the very forests whispered his name!). We see how he became so obsessed with righteousness, and so vindictive and why he was so dedicated to wiping out Mal'ganis. (my child, I watched with pride as you became a weapon... of righteousness!) And then why he was so determined not to listen to anybody. He wanted to prove how wise (for following Mal'ganis) and strong (by catching Mal'ganis) he was. (Remember... our line has always ruled with wisdom and strength.) The restraint thing he didn't really listen to... but uh... yeah. (I know you will use restraint when executing your great power.) And of course why he was so desperate to save all of his people and prove himself. (But the truest victory my son... is stirring the hearts of your people.) And then of course, just one single line "Succeeding you... father." (I tell you this, for when my days come to an end... you shall be king.)

I'm pretty sure that this is the only substantial thing Terenas ever said to his son.

Anyway, it was amazing, and I'm so friggin glad Blizzard proved me wrong, and that they actually do recognize what is cool about their universe. This was fantastic, I can't say it enough.

Last edited by Aldrius; 08-21-2008 at 01:36 PM..
Old 08-21-2008, 01:35 PM

Arch-Druid

Wow, one look at the WOW forums and everyone's complaining about how the trailer wasn't cool. I'm actually glad they did something different for a change, instead of classes just fighting, they actually went for a bit of character.

But hey, I'm a lore-whore, so what do I know.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 PM

Site Staff - News
Send a message via MSN to Ersinus

Great cinematic, I am pleased that they didn't follow the formula of introducing the races/classes and put them in the world somewhere. This one really focused on the character like the ones in RoC and TfT, it made me feel nostalgic. Plus the theme music was the same one from TfT ending cinematic, great. my favorite from WoW franchise.
Old 08-21-2008, 02:31 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ersinus View Post
Great cinematic, I am pleased that they didn't follow the formula of introducing the races/classes and put them in the world somewhere. This one really focused on the character like the ones in RoC and TfT, it made me feel nostalgic. Plus the theme music was the same one from TfT ending cinematic, great. my favorite from WoW franchise.
Agreed
Old 08-21-2008, 04:11 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

You know, after all this time; after all these years, I am actually starting to think that nothing will EVER top the Warcraft 3 cinematics in the sheer magnitude of emotion and atmosphere they brought with them.