Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 09-03-2010, 09:14 AM

Loremaster

Default The Twilight's Hammer Appreciation Thread

I have to admit. The way they are presenting the Twilight's Hammer has been interesting me. Rather then having the obvious villains of the Burning Legion or the Scourge, the largest group of villains is now a faction that can be anyone. You can have priests or paladins, shamans or druids, it is a faction that is all encompassing and so shady that any minute you may find out the Anduin Wrynn is a member. They have already removed more heroes from each faction then the Cult of the Damned did through their subterfuge, and now with Deathwing leading them we have tons of horrible events happening all over the world thanks to their machinations.

I have to say that is what I like the most about this expansion, the villains are not obvious most of the time and encompass so many that I feel like we actually have a real threat now. The Twilight's went from what felt like a joke to my favorite evil faction. I just hope they do some good scripting with Deathwing.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:33 AM

Eternal

I agree. There finally seems to be some organization to the Twilight Hammer, and it's so grand that I have to wonder if Deathwing was always the one pulling the biggest strings like Cho'gall.

The only problem I have with how Cataclysm is presenting the THC is how all-encompassing they are. In vanilla we had several groups of varying threat levels and they all had separate interests. Defias, Grimtotems, Burning Blades, Syndicate, every damn Troll tribe except the Darkspear and Revantusk, the Black Flight, the Red Flight, the Blue Flight, the Green Flight, the Scourge, the Venture Company, the Bloodsail Buccaneers, the Dark Horde, the Dark Iron Empire, the Troggs...

Some of those were working together; most notably the Black Flight and Dark Horde, and the Dark Iron Empire and THC. But it seemed as though the heroes were swimming in a mass of enemies at all times in every place. Now though, it feels as though all possible hostility is clicking into a great, massive shape, that all enemy factions outside of the demons and undead are part of a malignant conspiracy.

Do the Dark Horde and Dark Irons really want the end of the world? It would be fascinating to hear the new world they've been promised should they help Deathwing to have his way.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:12 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
I agree. There finally seems to be some organization to the Twilight Hammer, and it's so grand that I have to wonder if Deathwing was always the one pulling the biggest strings like Cho'gall.

The only problem I have with how Cataclysm is presenting the THC is how all-encompassing they are. In vanilla we had several groups of varying threat levels and they all had separate interests. Defias, Grimtotems, Burning Blades, Syndicate, every damn Troll tribe except the Darkspear and Revantusk, the Black Flight, the Red Flight, the Blue Flight, the Green Flight, the Scourge, the Venture Company, the Bloodsail Buccaneers, the Dark Horde, the Dark Iron Empire, the Troggs...

Some of those were working together; most notably the Black Flight and Dark Horde, and the Dark Iron Empire and THC. But it seemed as though the heroes were swimming in a mass of enemies at all times in every place. Now though, it feels as though all possible hostility is clicking into a great, massive shape, that all enemy factions outside of the demons and undead are part of a malignant conspiracy.

Do the Dark Horde and Dark Irons really want the end of the world? It would be fascinating to hear the new world they've been promised should they help Deathwing to have his way.
Yeah, exactly, that is the whole point, the whole idea that Blizzard is going for with the Twilight Hammer, that notion of a global disaster they're trying to convey, the way I see it.

None of the other evil factions matter anymore. It's the Twilight Hammer everywhere, in your capital cities, under your bed, climbing in your windows, snatching yo people up. They're 1 big global evil force now, they're the New World Order. And it's what makes them cool. And it works perfectly with the theme of Cataclysm, if you ask me.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:34 AM

Eternal

Right, and I like that. It's just a clever irony that "Cataclysm" - when everything is being torn apart between faction leaders, zone landscapes, Horde vs Alliance diplomacy, the enemy is coming together like a great machine.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:51 AM

Problemsolver

The THC(lulz) actually feels like the most threatening foe since the Burning Legion and the Scourge in WCIII.

They cause political corruption from within the Horde and Alliance, and that is something that I appritiate both in story-telling and gameplay.
Old 09-03-2010, 10:54 AM

World Builder

PvP Symbol - Horde

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urth View Post
Right, and I like that. It's just a clever irony that "Cataclysm" - when everything is being torn apart between faction leaders, zone landscapes, Horde vs Alliance diplomacy, the enemy is coming together like a great machine.
Aside from the friction between the ogre and non-ogre members of the cult mentioned in Hyjal.
Old 09-03-2010, 11:29 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

The Twilight's Hammer is kinda like how they should of did the Scourge and Cult of the Damned in WotLK to actually make them seem more powerful and possibly everywhere. The Twilight's Hammer actually seems like a threat with how Blizzard is doing things unlike the Scourge which seemed to be lacking in most of Northrend and were barely even there in Icecrown.
Old 09-03-2010, 12:48 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The Twilight's Hammer is kinda like how they should of did the Scourge and Cult of the Damned in WotLK to actually make them seem more powerful and possibly everywhere. The Twilight's Hammer actually seems like a threat with how Blizzard is doing things unlike the Scourge which seemed to be lacking in most of Northrend and were barely even there in Icecrown.
Well, to be fair Thassarian even says in an Icecrown quest that the Cult of the Damned is comprised mostly of hopeless incompetents that rarely succeeds in its endeavors. Without some of the the Lich King's own lieutenants at the helm directing them, the Cult of the Damned is really just a pack of loonies dreaming dreams about ways they can die impressively and earn immortality from their master in the process.

Really, the Scourge was good at recruiting large numbers of unlettered peasants and outcast mages into its still-living ranks, but it only really managed to convince a handful of truly influential people (most notably Kel'thuzad and the Barovs) to join willingly via the whole "immortality though undeath" sales pitch. Part of that's probably because they targeted those who were miserable and felt neglected by the Powers That Be, while anyone with power and influence usually wouldn't think the Light had abandoned them because things are already going their way.

Other groups, like the Shadow Council and its branches in particular, seem to include a whole lot of basically self-centered individuals who aren't really believers in the Legion's teachings, and those in command manipulate such people into using their own selfish pursuits to benefit the whole cult while cowing them enough through the presence of actual demonic agents that they don't try to stray from the cause and turn the whole thing into their own personal army. In other words, they're basically an organized gathering of wannabe overlords being kept in line by real ones from the Burning Legion.

The Twilight's Hammer comes with the built-in advantage that probably anyone still rational and self-serving who joins up thinking they can coast on the power that comes with their new status without actually buying into the dogma behind it inevitably ends up actually becoming a maniacal true believer anyway after they hang around all that Old God influence long enough. Even those who manage to leave its ranks probably aren't completely stable any longer, as being driven even a little bit mad can't just be totally undone by the realization that everyone else in the cult is even crazier still.
Old 09-03-2010, 01:57 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Yeah from what the Twilight Hammer have done it really does give me hope in the Cult of the Damned being a huge threat with a summoned Tichondrius or Kil'jaeden. I mean seriously there are two of the Cults leaders that we have never actually seen before and i need to see a Fire Lich !!

Run
Old 09-03-2010, 05:28 PM

Arch-Druid

If only they would've picked another name -.-
There are more than enough Twilight Cults irl already.
Old 09-03-2010, 05:29 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
Yeah from what the Twilight Hammer have done it really does give me hope in the Cult of the Damned being a huge threat with a summoned Tichondrius or Kil'jaeden. I mean seriously there are two of the Cults leaders that we have never actually seen before and i need to see a Fire Lich !!
I don't think the CotD would ever willingly go back to being Legion-aligned. More likely they begin to view themselves as the 'true Scourge'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-03-2010, 06:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Aside from the friction between the ogre and non-ogre members of the cult mentioned in Hyjal.
The player instigates a lot of that. Yeah, it exists, but we're largely responsible for its escalation.
Old 09-03-2010, 09:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
I have to admit. The way they are presenting the Twilight's Hammer has been interesting me. Rather then having the obvious villains of the Burning Legion or the Scourge, the largest group of villains is now a faction that can be anyone. You can have priests or paladins, shamans or druids, it is a faction that is all encompassing and so shady that any minute you may find out the Anduin Wrynn is a member. They have already removed more heroes from each faction then the Cult of the Damned did through their subterfuge, and now with Deathwing leading them we have tons of horrible events happening all over the world thanks to their machinations.
I think it would be cool if the heroes from each faction that we are finding out are in the Twilight's Hammer are in fact agents known only to a leader or two of their previous faction. They will do things here and there like Lady Prestor did to the Alliance. When the time is right, they will help cripple the Twilight's Hammer.
Old 09-05-2010, 01:40 PM

Chimaera

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
I think it would be cool if the heroes from each faction that we are finding out are in the Twilight's Hammer are in fact agents known only to a leader or two of their previous faction. They will do things here and there like Lady Prestor did to the Alliance. When the time is right, they will help cripple the Twilight's Hammer.
or we beat the ever loving crap out of the evil twilight cultist to find out its a trusted horde/alliance member in disguise, effectively screwing ourselves over. but then again disguises in wow have always been laughably paper thin, like nobody questioned the fact that that acolyte in the cathedral of darkness was carrying the ashbringer?
Old 09-05-2010, 01:57 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tabarax View Post
like nobody questioned the fact that that acolyte in the cathedral of darkness was carrying the ashbringer?
At least Tirion was wearing the robes, my character somehow pulled it off wearing just a hood while the rest of my body was covered in a crusader tabard.
Old 09-05-2010, 07:08 PM

Eternal

Orb of Lightning

The Twilight Hammer are as menacing as I imagined the SCOURGE would be . Warcraft 3 made me almost afraid to fight undead and now they make a band of cultist outcasts make Arthas and the Scourge look like a pansy .

Still have to like 'em though .