Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 12-01-2017, 03:47 PM

Demon Hunter
BattleTag: Pvarron#1601

So why are the void elves even on the Alliance anyway? According to the datamined quest text some blood elves, after seeing Alleria's mastery of the void, try to do it themselves and then get kicked out of Silvermoon. The playable void elves have literally zero ties to the Alliance. Just a couple of years ago they blew up Theramore!

The Alliance has a sizeable population of high elves that are closely thematically tied to the Alliance and they even have a large in-game presence. Why not use those elves instead? They could still be void elves, just change their origin to the Silver Covenant instead of Silvermoon!

They have no thematic differences from blood elves because just a week ago, before they met Alleria, they were blood elves. What's the point?
Old 12-03-2017, 07:14 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edoll View Post
So why are the void elves even on the Alliance anyway? According to the datamined quest text some blood elves, after seeing Alleria's mastery of the void, try to do it themselves and then get kicked out of Silvermoon. The playable void elves have literally zero ties to the Alliance. Just a couple of years ago they blew up Theramore!

The Alliance has a sizeable population of high elves that are closely thematically tied to the Alliance and they even have a large in-game presence. Why not use those elves instead? They could still be void elves, just change their origin to the Silver Covenant instead of Silvermoon!

They have no thematic differences from blood elves because just a week ago, before they met Alleria, they were blood elves. What's the point?
Frankly that would be even more of an asspull because it's not in-character for any of the Silver Covenant to want to dabble in the Void enough to become a separate race all on their own. They are way too stuffy to do something like that.

Anyway, if it's one thing I will agree with High Elf fanboys about it's that I think Void Elves should have had normal skin tones. We already have purple and blue elves, whereas the Horde now have human-like elves as well as their own variety of purple/blue elves, so I think it wouldn't be too big a deal when Void Elves have their own unique hairstyle that emphasizes plenty of void motifs all on their own.
Old 12-03-2017, 08:41 PM

Banished

to be fair, being a fraction of blood elves gives more credence to their race numbers than being a fraction of the silver covenant.

Their story basically boils down to them meeting with Alleria and being like "we're exiled", she being like "so am i, wanna come over?" and then being like "sure" but the Nightborne one isnt great really either (although at least it was kinda set up)
Old 12-03-2017, 09:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deicide View Post
The Warcraft I fell in love with, 21 years ago, was a very different world.

I've endured the years of lore contrivances, storylines that go nowhere, retcons, ret-retcons, lore mishaps, dumb decisions and everything else. Every single thing I liked about Warcraft, from the Seven nations, diverse orc clans, gritty fantasy, interesting villains and a lot more, has since gone to dust.

The world I cared about is frozen in time, doomed to never get the focus again. It was replaced by spaceships, dumb demonic armies, time-traveling orcs, a war that endures just because it needs to endure and new islands full of new different flavored furries each expansion.

This void elf mess is very close to be the last straw. The only thing still holding me is nostalgia and routine.

Blizzard is not doing me any favors. I'm the one paying to play this game. So, since it's clear I'm not their intended audience and they have no interest in trying to reach a compromise, I'm very close to giving up. There's still almost two months left in my paid subscription. If I find no reason to keep interested in WoW by then, I'll just stop playing.

All I always cared for was the lore anyway. YouTube provides me that free of charge.
I think that at this moment you must be one of the few people who continue to cry! Most of those who complained are loving the void elves !! They are great their voices, their tentacles, their beards, their racial all in them is great.

no doubt some fulfilled all my expectations at the end there is a race with which I can play in the alliance
Old 12-03-2017, 10:48 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

My hot take on how I'd have implemented void elves:

Subject them to the same process that turned the ethereals into what they are, have them stranded on a planet that blows up or something. They're saved just in time so that they can maintain a facsimile of their elven forms out of combat, but when fighting, the illusion shatters and they become a humanoid mass of wrappings.
Old 12-04-2017, 03:18 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhllor View Post
I think that at this moment you must be one of the few people who continue to cry! Most of those who complained are loving the void elves !!
This is not what I've been seeing around.

Quote:
They are great their voices, their tentacles, their beards, their racial all in them is great.

no doubt some fulfilled all my expectations at the end there is a race with which I can play in the alliance
Good for you. Enjoy your little purple floating rock capital.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 12-04-2017 at 03:23 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 05:32 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
The Warcraft I fell in love with, 21 years ago, was a very different world.

I've endured the years of lore contrivances, storylines that go nowhere, retcons, ret-retcons, lore mishaps, dumb decisions and everything else. Every single thing I liked about Warcraft, from the Seven nations, diverse orc clans, gritty fantasy, interesting villains and a lot more, has since gone to dust.

The world I cared about is frozen in time, doomed to never get the focus again. It was replaced by spaceships, dumb demonic armies, time-traveling orcs, a war that endures just because it needs to endure and new islands full of new different flavored furries each expansion.

This void elf mess is very close to be the last straw. The only thing still holding me is nostalgia and routine.

Blizzard is not doing me any favors. I'm the one paying to play this game. So, since it's clear I'm not their intended audience and they have no interest in trying to reach a compromise, I'm very close to giving up. There's still almost two months left in my paid subscription. If I find no reason to keep interested in WoW by then, I'll just stop playing.

All I always cared for was the lore anyway. YouTube provides me that free of charge.
The worse part is that it doesn't make any sense. No one wanted this. They already have an existing race that's been in the lore since forever.

I'll say it again: The perfect plot would have been "cleansing" blood elves of their corruption through the light, turning them back into high elves. Then make Alleria and Vereesa lead a civil war against the blood elves, and maybe even capture Silvermoon. Add the darkfallen instead of the Nightborne as a Horde subrace, and make them part of the civil war plot as well.

What I see with void elves (and most of the subraces, to be fair) is laziness, disrespect, and incompetence.

Imagine they add ogres to the Horde; except they aren't ogres they're space ogres, corrupted ogres, hydra-head ogres, sea ogres, or some shit. High elf fans have every right to feel insulted.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 12-04-2017, 05:56 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
The worse part is that it doesn't make any sense. No one wanted this. They already have an existing race that's been in the lore since forever.

I'll say it again: The perfect plot would have been "cleansing" blood elves of their corruption through the light, turning them back into high elves. Then make Alleria and Vereesa lead a civil war against the blood elves, and maybe even capture Silvermoon. Add the darkfallen instead of the Nightborne as a Horde subrace, and make them part of the civil war plot as well.

What I see with void elves (and most of the subraces, to be fair) is laziness, disrespect, and incompetence.

Imagine they add ogres to the Horde; except they aren't ogres they're space ogres, corrupted ogres, hydra-head ogres, sea ogres, or some shit. High elf fans have every right to feel insulted.
Arcane Ogres hmmmmmmmmm
Old 12-04-2017, 06:35 AM

Eternal

Only thing I mind about void elves is that they seem to be mostly a few magisters, maybe a few priests too, that wanted to study the void. How do you justify them being a 'race' and their classes? Do a lot of them, like about half a dozen, suddenly decide to drop their work and go swing a sword or something? I don't know, I suppose bad experiences with the void might determine them to but it's still awkward. Would have been better if they were just some random high elves from all walks of life that were being experimented on by some void aligned enemies, like maybe some ethereal that wants to mimic Locus Walker's success with Alleria in a different way, and Alleria frees them and offers to teach them how to deal with their new and unwanted powers. Boom, playable high elves that are still edgy and you can justify their classes.

ffs I'm the only one who cares aren't I
Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
And that is the Drama to being part of the Horde. There are people out there who want you dead. You honestly can’t blame them. Do you lie down and die for them? No. You enjoy the challenge. You keep your head up and move forward.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Only thing I mind about void elves is that they seem to be mostly a few magisters, maybe a few priests too, that wanted to study the void. How do you justify them being a 'race' and their classes? Do a lot of them, like about half a dozen, suddenly decide to drop their work and go swing a sword or something? I don't know, I suppose bad experiences with the void might determine them to but it's still awkward. Would have been better if they were just some random high elves from all walks of life that were being experimented on by some void aligned enemies, like maybe some ethereal that wants to mimic Locus Walker's success with Alleria in a different way, and Alleria frees them and offers to teach them how to deal with their new and unwanted powers. Boom, playable high elves that are still edgy and you can justify their classes.
It's even funnier when you consider that they were transformed in a single event by evil Ethereal meddling.

How many void elves would there be? 15? 20? 30? Even 100 seems too much.

A "race" of a few dozens of individuals. Can they even create more of themselves by transforming other elves? It's not clear. And I would definitely classify that as evil (you are spreading the void influence, and some of elves will fail to resist the whispers eventually).

And their leader is a high elf... Alleria hasn't passed throught the transformation, she learned to control the void instead. She's not a void elf.

Edit: The void elves being able to repeat the ritual to transform other elves could explain the non-caster classes among them, as the transformation is less about study and personal achievement and more about being forcefully void-touched.

However, who would subject itself to that?

Are we going to have streams of blood elf traitors suddenly realizing they loved the Alliance all along? Wouldn't they, uh, just turn coat, instead of having to partipate into such evil ritual?

Last edited by Deicide; 12-04-2017 at 08:09 AM..
Old 12-04-2017, 10:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Deicide there is something that I do not understand, you say that you do not like the direction that is taking wow because it moves away from what you like the ancient human kingdoms. but in BFA the alliance will expel the forsaken from lordaeron something that the players of the alliance want for years, they will recover gilneas, stromgarde and also will return kultiras.

then you have what you like, but even so you say that you do not like it
Old 12-04-2017, 11:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Deicide there is something that I do not understand, you say that you do not like the direction that is taking wow because it moves away from what you like the ancient human kingdoms. but in BFA the alliance will expel the forsaken from lordaeron something that the players of the alliance want for years, they will recover gilneas, stromgarde and also will return kultiras.

then you have what you like, but even so you say that you do not like it
It's something for me look at, but I can do that throught Wowpedia and YouTube as well. I'm already disappointed because things like Stromgarde seem that won't not be phased in the open world, they'll only appear "renewed" while instanced, and that's already a big let down.

Also, as far as we know, it doesn't seem like Alliance will secure the ruins. I'm half-expecting Lordaeron to cave-in above Undercity, and we will be left with an unsalvageable crater full of debris. That would make sense, since the Alliance city counterpart, Darnassus, will be lost to both factions due to the flames.

Also, old cities mean nothing without the population. WoW has ignored the refugees from those kingdoms for all of its existence. Danath has been mostly forced into the sidelines and ignored. I'd like to see any sign that such stance would change in the future, and this movement north isn't just Stormwind.

I've not taken any decision. Right now, I'm pissed, hoping for something that will make me at least have some hope that, by January 10th (when my 6-month subscription ends), I'll have any reason to renew. Right now, I'm considering to not renew it, pay one month to see 7.3.5 stories later, and then judge if I should keep playing.

What I noticed is that this affected me so much that I've been put throught the stages of grieving: denial, anger, bargaining and now depression. Next should be acceptance, which does not mean I'll be okay with it, just that I'll let it go.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:46 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's something for me look at, but I can do that throught Wowpedia and YouTube as well. I'm already disappointed because things like Stromgarde seem that won't not be phased in the open world, they'll only appear "renewed" while instanced, and that's already a big let down.

Also, as far as we know, it doesn't seem like Alliance will secure the ruins. I'm half-expecting Lordaeron to cave-in above Undercity, and we will be left with an unsalvageable crater full of debris. That would make sense, since the Alliance city counterpart, Darnassus, will be lost to both factions due to the flames.

Also, old cities mean nothing without the population. WoW has ignored the refugees from those kingdoms for all of its existence. Danath has been mostly forced into the sidelines and ignored. I'd like to see any sign that such stance would change in the future, and this movement north isn't just Stormwind.

I've not taken any decision. Right now, I'm pissed, hoping for something that will make me at least have some hope that, by January 10th (when my 6-month subscription ends), I'll have any reason to renew. Right now, I'm considering to not renew it, pay one month to see 7.3.5 stories later, and then judge if I should keep playing.

What I noticed is that this affected me so much that I've been put throught the stages of grieving: denial, anger, bargaining and now depression. Next should be acceptance, which does not mean I'll be okay with it, just that I'll let it go.
good if you prefer to watch what happened on YouTube instead of playing it is acceptable.
although I thought that all the players of the alliance would be anxious to play the battle when they defeat the horde in lordaeron
Old 12-04-2017, 11:53 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
good if you prefer to watch what happened on YouTube instead of playing it is acceptable.
although I thought that all the players of the alliance would be anxious to play the battle when they defeat the horde in lordaeron
It's only the opening salvo. There'll still be the whole expansion for Blizzard to let me down.

I'd love a more mundane expansion. No more other worlds, demons, just Azeroth. If later patches mean we go back to the old world, it may have something good. I'm afraid the second half of the expansion will be N'Zoth-related, thought. That would be bore me to no end.

Old 12-04-2017, 11:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's only the opening salvo. There'll still be the whole expansion for Blizzard to let me down.

I'd love a more mundane expansion. No more other worlds, demons, just Azeroth. If later patches mean we go back to the old world, it may have something good. I'm afraid the second half of the expansion will be N'Zoth-related, thought. That would be bore me to no end.
you're going to go to kultiras, I remember hundreds of topical players of the alliance asking for kultiras !!

Nzoth is one of the most important villains in the history of warcraft !! It is obvious that at some point we have to fight against him !!
Old 12-04-2017, 12:14 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
you're going to go to kultiras, I remember hundreds of topical players of the alliance asking for kultiras !!
I'm kinda torn on this. I want to see Kul Tiras

Quote:
Nzoth is one of the most important villains in the history of warcraft !! It is obvious that at some point we have to fight against him !!
Well, yeah, but this is being sold as the war expansion. I expect the ending of the expansion to be all about the war, not overtaken by Mr. Tentacle God. I'm afraid the war will kinda be forgotten by the second patch and we will focus on fighting tentacles instead. First tier of raids already have nothing to do with the war. Azshara is main villain material, and she's apparently being wasted by the end of second raid.

Last edited by Deicide; 12-04-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 12:26 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I'm kinda torn on this. I want to see Kul Tiras

Well, yeah, but this is being sold as the war expansion. I expect the ending of the expansion to be all about the war, not overtaken by Mr. Tentacle God. I'm afraid the war will kinda be forgotten by the second patch and we will focus on fighting tentacles instead. First tier of raids already have nothing to do with the war. Azshara is main villain material, and she's apparently being wasted by the end of second raid.
I think it's the 2 things the title can mean fighting for the territory of azeroth (faction war) also fight to save the titan azeroth
Old 12-04-2017, 01:11 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
I think it's the 2 things the title can mean fighting for the territory of azeroth (faction war) also fight to save the titan azeroth
I'm aware of that. And, considering the raids announced so far, seems like it will be the case.

Old 12-04-2017, 01:20 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Royalpimp View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 12-04-2017, 02:53 PM

Chimaera

TBH, the High Elves shouldn't have been a thing. What happened to the Blood Elves being the last of Quel'thalas?
Old 12-04-2017, 03:24 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
TBH, the High Elves shouldn't have been a thing. What happened to the Blood Elves being the last of Quel'thalas?
That was never true.

Blood elves as we know them nowadays were a retcon done for TBC. The lore before that was different.

Old 12-04-2017, 05:13 PM

Chimaera

Kael'thas said himself and his followers were what was left.

Last edited by Cacofonix; 12-04-2017 at 05:15 PM..
Old 12-04-2017, 05:53 PM

Sentinel Queen

The void elves should’ve been Alleria’s followers from Outland, imo. That way we’d still get former high elves without taking away from Veressa’s and the other Azerothian high elves’ choice.
Old 12-04-2017, 06:09 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post

Darkfallen? Oof, no thank you. No vampires.

Rather than cleansing belfs, which literally pulls from an existing Horde race, I still say we should've gone with either the "Storm Elf" idea of Jaina empowering elves with lightning magic, or merging High Elves with Dragons.

I agree though, Void Elves aren't what the High Elf fans have wanted, they're a very left field idea. So far they seem... reasonably well executed so while I don't think we needed more elves, at the very least they're not an absolute disaster.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-04-2017, 06:19 PM

Arch-Druid

A video showing void elf customization, armor, Void Rift location and mount.

I really can't get used to the blue skin. Really, I can't.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cacofonix View Post
Kael'thas said himself and his followers were what was left.
Old lore had high elf survivors living in Alliance cities, specially Theramore. In essence, high elves were the ones not in Quel'thalas when it was attacked, and blood elves were the ones who went with Kael to Outland.

You can see it reflected in Vanilla, with Alliance-aligned high elves in Eastern Kingdoms and Theramore, while the only blood elf hub was an enemy one in Azshara (Horde had quests to fight against those blood elves). Original Vanilla lore was that there were no survivors in Quel'thalas. (check page four of the linked in-game book)

The old RPG (which is now non-canon, but back then had a lot of up-to-date info) placed the blood elves as a demon-draining villain race while high elves were a playable Alliance race.

Also, pre-alpha sketch maps for WoW had "New elf kingdom" in the island north of Quel'thalas, with ship lanes linking it to Kul Tiras and other Alliance places, clearly indicating that early WoW plans had high elves as an Alliance race.

Come TBC, Blizzard decided to give the elves to the Horde hoping it would balance populations. Silvermoon was retconned as still standing, and the elves there were blood elves, but not sucking magic out of demons anymore.

The desire for high elves existed way before TBC, and the addition of blood elves to the Horde was a huge letdown for everyone who were eagerly expecting to see high elves playable, as everything prior to that indicated they'd be for sure.

Tags
knife-ears, world of warcraft