Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #55051  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:36 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

More GOP politicians are being threatened.

GOP House candidate Karen Handel, neighbors get suspicious packages

There was white powder and threatening messages like:

"America's terrorist soldiers are raping and killing innocent Muslims by the thousands. Republicans are literally ushering in the apocalypse by ignoring the impending climate disaster."

Reply With Quote
  #55052  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:38 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
They're apparently the best representation of Egyptians before Islam.
Ehh.

Not exactly. Thats actually a really tough debate.. I think the current understanding is that while there is slight evidence of human tribes in the area that survived into what we think of as egypt, most of the "native" population was consumed by the Mesopotamia expansion into the area.

More, its also to my understanding (though I'll say its not as rich as I'd like it to be) ancient egypt, coptics included, are notoriously unreliable when it comes to skin tone and other stuff in representational art.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #55053  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Ehh.

Not exactly. Thats actually a really tough debate.. I think the current understanding is that while there is slight evidence of human tribes in the area that survived into what we think of as egypt, most of the "native" population was consumed by the Mesopotamia expansion into the area.

More, its also to my understanding (though I'll say its not as rich as I'd like it to be) ancient egypt, coptics included, are notoriously unreliable when it comes to skin tone and other stuff in representational art.
What about hair color? I don't think I've seen any ancient Egyptian art wherein the people didn't have black hair.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #55054  
Old 06-16-2017, 07:59 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
What about hair color? I don't think I've seen any ancient Egyptian art wherein the people didn't have black hair.
I already mentioned that.

natural blonde and red hair are now thought to exist.5
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #55055  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:14 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I already mentioned that.

natural blonde and red hair are now thought to exist.5
I'm just wondering how it's explained that everyone in their art had black hair.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #55056  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:25 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

See none of those people are blonde because blonde people are unique and special. Not everyone can be unique like that.
Reply With Quote
  #55057  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:33 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I'm just wondering how it's explained that everyone in their art had black hair.
Because egyptians are super vain and black hair was the ideal color. They used a lead based dye to make it black.

Even cleopatra (Who, at least, had some greek in her history) is speculated to have been a red head, but its honestly hard to tell since tge art is, again, unreliable.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X
Reply With Quote
  #55058  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:40 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Because egyptians are super vain and black hair was the ideal color. They used a lead based dye to make it black.

Even cleopatra (Who, at least, had some greek in her history) is speculated to have been a red head, but its honestly hard to tell since tge art is, again, unreliable.
I wouldn't use any of the Ptolemaic dynasty as an example. They're the literal definition of incest and recessive gene failure.

Also, all human cultures are inherently vain. See again, bottle blondes.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #55059  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:45 PM
Almed Almed is offline

Banished
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 314

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Because egyptians are super vain and black hair was the ideal color. They used a lead based dye to make it black.

Even cleopatra (Who, at least, had some greek in her history) is speculated to have been a red head, but its honestly hard to tell since tge art is, again, unreliable.
That doesn't address the looks of modern Egyptians (both Muslim and Christians). They're rather brownyellowish with dark hair and eyes.
Reply With Quote
  #55060  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:49 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
That doesn't address the looks of modern Egyptians (both Muslim and Christians). They're rather brownyellowish with dark hair and eyes.
It's been thousands of years and people move around, have kids, etc.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #55061  
Old 06-16-2017, 08:50 PM
Almed Almed is offline

Banished
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 314

Default

You need to show that there was a significant change to the ethnic core.
Reply With Quote
  #55062  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:10 PM
Ruinshin Ruinshin is offline

Elune
Ruinshin's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Hawaii
Posts: 21,145

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
I wouldn't use any of the Ptolemaic dynasty as an example. They're the literal definition of incest and recessive gene failure.

Also, all human cultures are inherently vain. See again, bottle blondes.
Gebelein predynastic mummies.

The most famous is Ginger, thusly named for his hair.

Hetepheres II is regularly shown with blonde hair, though it, depending on theory, was either the first recorded woman with blonde hair, or a wig.

Quote:
That doesn't address the looks of modern Egyptians (both Muslim and Christians). They're rather brownyellowish with dark hair and eyes.
.. Again, their make up is a lot closer to sub-saharan africa than it was back then according to current understanding. There was a shift, but when it took place is not currently understood.

But again, none of what you are saying contradicts what Im saying.

The majority in the picture below would classify as white, at least in the US.



EDIT: Just so we are clear, you are aware I'm not arguing that its proof that all great civilizations are white or some shit, right?

kush, Carthage, Punt, hell, fucking Aksum.
__________________
Fucking Epic :X

Last edited by Ruinshin; 06-16-2017 at 09:19 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55063  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:14 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

I maintain that Bernie Sanders is just some white guy.
Reply With Quote
  #55064  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:19 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,515

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I maintain that Bernie Sanders is just some white guy.
Elaborate?
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #55065  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:26 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Elaborate?
I just remember people saying during the campaign that Bernie's not white, he's an Adjectiveval Jew.

Except it wasn't Adjectiveval - it was an actual race adjective related to the Jews in the mideast, or something? I'm sleepy and don't remember.
Reply With Quote
  #55066  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:36 PM
Cantus Cantus is offline

Ethermancer - Admin
Cantus's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: DC, U.S.
Posts: 11,091
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
Gebelein predynastic mummies.

The most famous is Ginger, thusly named for his hair.

Hetepheres II is regularly shown with blonde hair, though it, depending on theory, was either the first recorded woman with blonde hair, or a wig.



.. Again, their make up is a lot closer to sub-saharan africa than it was back then according to current understanding. There was a shift, but when it took place is not currently understood.

But again, none of what you are saying contradicts what Im saying.

The majority in the picture below would classify as white, at least in the US.

http://cdn.timesofisrael.com/uploads...pt_Horo-15.jpg

EDIT: Just so we are clear, you are aware I'm not arguing that its proof that all great civilizations are white or some shit, right?

kush, Carthage, Punt, hell, fucking Aksum.
Yeah, we're not arguing about great civilizations sans melatonin, but the specifics of the region's genetic drift/evolution.

And, honestly, I don't think white should even be a discussion point. Genetics has basically proven that "whiteness" and "blackness" is not a thing. It's just a question which genetic grouping happens to have significance or dominance in any given region/period.
__________________

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Reply With Quote
  #55067  
Old 06-16-2017, 09:42 PM
PajamaSalad PajamaSalad is offline

Elune
PajamaSalad's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Undisclosed location in the Universe.
Posts: 42,139

Default

You know what I always thought was stupid? Tanning. It just seems really unhealthy. What is wrong with being pale if you were born that way?
Reply With Quote
  #55068  
Old 06-16-2017, 10:12 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,515

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I just remember people saying during the campaign that Bernie's not white, he's an Adjectiveval Jew.

Except it wasn't Adjectiveval - it was an actual race adjective related to the Jews in the mideast, or something? I'm sleepy and don't remember.
o.O where'd you see that? I'm on -tumblr- and I never heard anything like that.

In all seriousness though I still like Bernie because he's had a consistent voting record of... basic decency.


@PJ Yeah death threats and shit are unacceptable, hopefully this provides the shock needed for both sides to take a look at themselves and work towards bipartisanship, unity, and civility.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #55069  
Old 06-17-2017, 01:57 AM
Ol'Yoggy Ol'Yoggy is offline

Arch-Druid
Ol'Yoggy's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 1,390

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
o.O where'd you see that? I'm on -tumblr- and I never heard anything like that.

In all seriousness though I still like Bernie because he's had a consistent voting record of... basic decency.


@PJ Yeah death threats and shit are unacceptable, hopefully this provides the shock needed for both sides to take a look at themselves and work towards bipartisanship, unity, and civility.
Given how republicans cheerfully downplay when their followers hurt others I doubt it.
Reply With Quote
  #55070  
Old 06-17-2017, 09:24 AM
Kellick Kellick is offline

Site Staff - Moderator
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 12,052
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
That doesn't address the looks of modern Egyptians (both Muslim and Christians). They're rather brownyellowish with dark hair and eyes.
That can also be said of Mediterranean and Levantine peoples in general, mind.
Reply With Quote
  #55071  
Old 06-17-2017, 10:36 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You know what I always thought was stupid? Tanning. It just seems really unhealthy. What is wrong with being pale if you were born that way?
I'm not 100% sure if it's true anymore but supposedly it's meant to help with bad skin conditions like eczema.
Reply With Quote
  #55072  
Old 06-17-2017, 11:21 AM
Shekinah Shekinah is offline

Arch-Druid
Shekinah's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: On a pale horse
Posts: 2,423

Mana

Tanning is just another fad. It used to be that the paler you were, the more attractive and wealthier you were (less time working in the sun). Now it's reversed, due to the expenses of tanning salons and vacations in the tropics.
__________________
I like to cook. Here's a thread on how it relates to Warcraft.
Reply With Quote
  #55073  
Old 06-17-2017, 03:19 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,387

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Michelle Carter has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for sending her boyfriend texts encouraging him to kill himself.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ide/ar-BBCH3Fo
"You can't think about it. You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't."
"I thought you wanted to do this. The time is right and you're ready ... just do it babe."
"The judge focused his ruling on three words Carter said to the 18-year-old Roy after he climbed out of his truck as it was filling with toxic gas and told her he was scared." "Get back in"

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a breach of freedom of speech or a reasonable curtailment of it?
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 06-17-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #55074  
Old 06-17-2017, 03:54 PM
Mutterscrawl Mutterscrawl is offline

World Builder
Mutterscrawl's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 32,515

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Michelle Carter has been found guilty of involuntary manslaughter for sending her boyfriend texts encouraging him to kill himself.
http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/crime/...ide/ar-BBCH3Fo
"You can't think about it. You just have to do it. You said you were gonna do it. Like I don't get why you aren't."
"I thought you wanted to do this. The time is right and you're ready ... just do it babe."
"The judge focused his ruling on three words Carter said to the 18-year-old Roy after he climbed out of his truck as it was filling with toxic gas and told her he was scared." "Get back in"

What are your thoughts on this? Is this a breach of freedom of speech or a reasonable curtailment of it?
Reasonable. She should be in jail, that's heinous.
__________________
Brought to you by Sanguine Enterprises.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Reply With Quote
  #55075  
Old 06-17-2017, 03:59 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,166

Default

From my understanding, the part where he got out of the car and she told him to get back in was done in a phone call, not by texts. The reason we know about it is because she texted the story to her friend later.

https://mobile.nytimes.com/2017/06/1...onrad-roy.html

Quote:
But the phone conversation was not recorded, and the only evidence of its content came three months after the suicide in a text from Ms. Carter to a friend.

“Sam his death is my fault, like honestly I could have stopped him,” Ms. Carter wrote. “I was on the phone with him and he got out of the car because it was working and he got scared.”

She said she then instructed him “to get back in.”

The prosecution made this phone call, as described in Ms. Carter’s text, the heart of its case. And the judge accepted it as factual and incriminating.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 06-17-2017 at 04:03 PM..
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:02 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.