Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Old 07-13-2017, 03:20 PM

Elune

The NYPD once again turns their back on their anti-cop mayor.

Last edited by PajamaSalad; 07-13-2017 at 05:05 PM..
Old 07-13-2017, 03:27 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
The NYPD once against turns their back on their anti-cop mayor.
Every branch should do that against our anti-military president.
Member #14
Old 07-15-2017, 03:40 PM

Elune

https://www.insidehighered.com/news/...egative-impact

Considering the sort of riots and demands of campuses, the rising student debt, and some of the research that is being put out I don't think it is all surprising. As a government funded institution this is going to be a problem for universities when they rely on that public money so it isn't something that can just be hand waved that are detractors just aren't as smart as them.

I think primarily the cause is that college is a bubble. Most people don't work for a college. University faculty don't face similar problems and in some disciplines they never will. Having a tax paying base supporting something that seems indifferent or adversarial to them is a recipe for disaster. When a university of all places should encourage open debate and support diversity of thought speakers are shunned and intimidated. They have forgotten the principals of intellectual humility.

Universities should learn more from outside the walls of the campus. That is actually how it should be but when they are so influential and have a revolving door between powerful government bureaucracy they don't have to. Your average person doesn't get paid by appealing to politicians. The experience's inside university doesn't make someone more qualified to leadership or decision making for unrelated facets of society and the thought that they are isn't something we should encourage.

Purdue is a more reformist minded school. Always known for its engineering program you can see the college president's commencement speech about humility. How the educated don't deserve to tell the uneducated how to live their lives. That good judgement comes from experience which comes from bad judgement. There is a lot to learn from even people without a college degree because it isn't the only way people can learn. I think that is something that isn't recognized often enough and in the wake of the information age would be really useful to make our education systems better. It isn't anti-intellectual, anti-science, or anti-education to think so.
Old 07-24-2017, 09:05 PM

Arch-Druid

Honestly given how much of a baby trump is over criticism I think that it's hilarious to see his fans denounce liberals as snowflakes. Conservatives are the biggest fucking crybabies alive (whining about christmas being "happy holidays, complaining when prop 8 is overturned?)

People like Ben Shapiro and Milo are scum.

Anti SJWS always pall with nazis and act like ANY diversity is political correctness.

SJWS are annoying. Most Anti SJWS are monsters and would be death camp guards (seriously look at Paul Joseph Watson)
Old 07-24-2017, 11:47 PM

Problemsolver

"Most" anti-SJWs are sick and tired of SJWs being whiny bitches about shit, so they turned up the knob to 11 when discussing the subject. And while I don't agree with them, I can sort of see where they're coming from.
Old 07-24-2017, 11:55 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post
"Most" anti-SJWs are sick and tired of SJWs being whiny bitches about shit, so they turned up the knob to 11 when discussing the subject. And while I don't agree with them, I can sort of see where they're coming from.
I strongly disagree with this point of view. A lot of the folks that identify as Anti's seem to be pointedly hostile regardless of who they're talking to, which doesn't help them.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 07-25-2017, 12:36 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I strongly disagree with this point of view. A lot of the folks that identify as Anti's seem to be pointedly hostile regardless of who they're talking to, which doesn't help them.
Yeah, I'm not saying anti-SJWs can't be overtly and flagrantly aggressive assholes towards pretty much anyone. But their reasoning for being that way still has to do with the continuously escalating backs and forths of the whole social justice issue; as SJW-movements have shut down or tried to regulate free speech, the anti-SJW-crowds have ramped up their rhetorics even more, leading to the SJW-movements trying even harder to quiet them down, which in turn leads to even further escalation from the anti-crowds. That's how polarization works, and people like Yoggy who are claiming that most anti-SJW folks are basically nazi sheep are only making it worse.

There's not a doubt in my mind that there are anti-SJW folks who'd make great death camp guards. And there are SJWs who wouldn't bat an eye at the idea of throwing their opponents into concentration camps too. But they're hardly a majority, on either side. If people would stop making it out to be then maybe we'll be able to move past this shitstorm sometime during our lifetimes.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:24 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Yoggy, don't generalise.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:00 AM

Elune

Anti SJWs are a lot more inclusive so you are going to have more diverse kinds of people. I just think a lot of SJW focus on really trivial stuff and that the identity politics is really divisive and banal. They are bigoted and treat people that don't fit their mold like heretics.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:02 AM

Guru of Gilneas

A lot of the topics discussed by people who get labeled as SJWs or those who are anti-SJWs tend to have lost any nuance. It has become less about the issues being discussed and more about factional tribalism at this point. I have seen SJWs and anti-SJWs arguing the same thing on separate pages, but the moment that one or more parties gets labeled, they suddenly start disagreeing just because. I don't expect that SJWs and anti-SJWs to agree on everything, but I have discovered in my own conversations with people who view themselves as anti-SJWs that there is a lot of common ground to be found.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:40 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Apparently after the whole Laci Green trying to build bridges thing, Franchesca Ramsey attempted to do so as well but only if people stopped criticizing her in preparation for her Comedy Central show. Then she made a podcast with her husband about Vidcon where they denounce the idea that their critics have any decency at all.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
A lot of the topics discussed by people who get labeled as SJWs or those who are anti-SJWs tend to have lost any nuance. It has become less about the issues being discussed and more about factional tribalism at this point. I have seen SJWs and anti-SJWs arguing the same thing on separate pages, but the moment that one or more parties gets labeled, they suddenly start disagreeing just because. I don't expect that SJWs and anti-SJWs to agree on everything, but I have discovered in my own conversations with people who view themselves as anti-SJWs that there is a lot of common ground to be found.
There is a huge amount of common ground. The issue with "SJW" types though tends to be its all or nothing.

If I think video games can, for instance, do better at women characters, but I think the problem is also reflected in male characters, Im considered sexist because I wont admit women are just fighting fuck toys.

If I mention I think a lot of the economic and cultural issues that feed into systemic oppression of inner city areas, Im called a racist for refusing to blame racism.

Its not that (in my experience) Anti-SJWs disagree with the problems. They disagree with the solution and cause. And often, the effect of the problem.

Last edited by Ruinshin; 07-25-2017 at 11:48 AM..
Old 07-25-2017, 11:49 AM

Revenant - Moderator

The difference between a social justice advocate and a social justice warrior is a zeal that leads to insanity.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-25-2017, 03:21 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
The difference between a social justice advocate and a social justice warrior is a zeal that leads to insanity.
I just think it is really slackavist. I don't fight for my rights by wearing a pussy hat and posting about video games being sexist on my blog. Even calling something truly sexist as ISIS wouldn't accomplish anything. I have to go out there and prove people wrong and work harder and sacrifice more than a simple blog post to make a difference.
Old 07-25-2017, 10:35 PM

Elune

Cops murdered another random person by illegally breaking into the wrong house. Cops say the guy had a gun which they told him repeatedly to put down, but neighbors report they never heard yelling. Additionally, there were apparently bullet holes in the door.
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...at-wrong-house
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 07-25-2017 at 10:48 PM..
Old 07-25-2017, 11:11 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I just think it is really slackavist. I don't fight for my rights by wearing a pussy hat and posting about video games being sexist on my blog. Even calling something truly sexist as ISIS wouldn't accomplish anything. I have to go out there and prove people wrong and work harder and sacrifice more than a simple blog post to make a difference.
It feels like you just think people who protest are just being lazy because they're not being politically active in a way you approve of.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 07-26-2017, 08:06 AM

Elune

Quote:
It feels like you just think people who protest are just being lazy because they're not being politically active in a way you approve of.
Some people are lazy though. You don't make change through lamenting or Facebook likes. Normally I could just ignore this sort of behavior but these people are usually shouting. Some of them are disruptive. A protest should win over followers, not alienate them. If that is the case you are doing it wrong. The hats just seem really juvenile. It seems more like people are partying and hanging out for something to do more than they are trying to make statement that most of them couldn't even tell you what that was. Being pro-woman shouldn't feel like it is anti-men or anti-capitalism, anti-Christianity, anti-police, or anti-foreign intervention for that matter. That doesn't treat women who don't fit that mold very well.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:13 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Cops murdered another random person by illegally breaking into the wrong house. Cops say the guy had a gun which they told him repeatedly to put down, but neighbors report they never heard yelling. Additionally, there were apparently bullet holes in the door.
http://www.wmcactionnews5.com/story/...at-wrong-house
That the neighbors heard nothing doesn't necessarily mean he had no gun. And if he had a gun that shouldn't necessarily mean he had no reason to fear for his life. Who knows exactly what happened?

The police were in the wrong to break down the wrong door. They were in the wrong to aggress an innocent man. But if he had a gun they may not have been in the wrong to defend themselves, just as he may not have been in the wrong to seek protection against these strange, armed intruders.

It's a godawful disgrace, tragedy, and shame, but let's not carried away. We all know American cops have a bad rep, and we all know it's not without reason. But let's not get carried away. We don't necessarily know what happened yet. We may never know.
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-26-2017, 08:14 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Some people are lazy though.

You don't make change through lamenting or Facebook likes.

Normally I could just ignore this sort of behavior but these people are usually shouting. Some of them are disruptive.

A protest should win over followers, not alienate them. If that is the case you are doing it wrong.The hats just seem really juvenile.

It seems more like people are partying and hanging out for something to do more than they are trying to make statement that most of them couldn't even tell you what that was.

Being pro-woman shouldn't feel like it is anti-men or anti-capitalism, anti-Christianity, anti-police, or anti-foreign intervention for that matter. That doesn't treat women who don't fit that mold very well.
Some people are hardworking.

People can do that AND physically protest.

Cause no one pays attention otherwise.

Protests are about raising awareness, not appealing to you specifically.

Now you're just generalizing and being condescending.

Being pro-women doesn't feel like that, the people who are the way you describe are no more indicative of liberals than the people who feel everyone who's not christian ought to be stoned, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
We don't necessarily know what happened yet. We may never know.
It'd help if they took the common-sense step of universal bodycams for police.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 07-26-2017 at 08:18 AM..
Old 07-26-2017, 08:20 AM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
It'd help if they took the common-sense step of universal bodycams for police.
But then we might not get special treatment when we're pulled over for speeding, right, PJS?
Quote:
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 07-26-2017, 11:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
But then we might not get special treatment when we're pulled over for speeding, right, PJS?
I am okay with cameras!
Old 07-26-2017, 03:15 PM

Elune

Old 07-26-2017, 03:25 PM

Elune

Quote:
That the neighbors heard nothing doesn't necessarily mean he had no gun. And if he had a gun that shouldn't necessarily mean he had no reason to fear for his life. Who knows exactly what happened?

The police were in the wrong to break down the wrong door. They were in the wrong to aggress an innocent man. But if he had a gun they may not have been in the wrong to defend themselves, just as he may not have been in the wrong to seek protection against these strange, armed intruders.

It's a godawful disgrace, tragedy, and shame, but let's not carried away. We all know American cops have a bad rep, and we all know it's not without reason. But let's not get carried away. We don't necessarily know what happened yet. We may never know.
If you illegally break and enter someone's home with a deadly weapon, you lose the ability to be in the right. There was actually a recent court ruling that decided that if a police officer does so, you are legally allowed to use lethal force. It has also been proven many times that ignorance is not an excuse to break the law (charges requiring mens rea excluded).
This mistake cost an innocent man his life because he was potentially trying to defend himself. Whoever is responsible needs to be held accountable.
Member #14
Old 07-26-2017, 03:31 PM

Elune

Quote:
Some people are hardworking.

People can do that AND physically protest.

Cause no one pays attention otherwise.

Protests are about raising awareness, not appealing to you specifically.

Now you're just generalizing and being condescending.

Being pro-women doesn't feel like that, the people who are the way you describe are no more indicative of liberals than the people who feel everyone who's not christian ought to be stoned, etc...
I am just not a big fan of things like virtue signaling and speaking in platitudes. It is really sanctimonious and impractical. People find it appealing because it is easy to do. Most good things require hard work and sacrifice which is something a lot of people don't want to do.

People are allowed to protest but they disrupt traffic, destroy things, and threaten people. That isn't a protest. That is a lynch mob. They should try to work on a cohesive and persuasive argument. That doesn't mean it is going to work. The US constitutional framework is pretty good at responding to changes in the nation mood. It has brakes to prevent radical changes and protections for minority constituents. A respect for rule of law means that you aren't always going to get everything you want. We can't let a loud minority triumph over everyone else. Their effectiveness is measured by how well they persuade people and they don't do a very good job.

Yeah I can still not like SJWs because they aren't friendly to people like me. I have my own activist way to work against their identity politics. I am an American that votes too and I am not some rarity. I think identity politics are counter productive.
Old 07-26-2017, 05:34 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I am just not a big fan of things like virtue signaling and speaking in platitudes. It is really sanctimonious and impractical. People find it appealing because it is easy to do. Most good things require hard work and sacrifice which is something a lot of people don't want to do.

People are allowed to protest but they disrupt traffic, destroy things, and threaten people. That isn't a protest. That is a lynch mob. They should try to work on a cohesive and persuasive argument. That doesn't mean it is going to work. The US constitutional framework is pretty good at responding to changes in the nation mood. It has brakes to prevent radical changes and protections for minority constituents. A respect for rule of law means that you aren't always going to get everything you want. We can't let a loud minority triumph over everyone else. Their effectiveness is measured by how well they persuade people and they don't do a very good job.

Yeah I can still not like SJWs because they aren't friendly to people like me. I have my own activist way to work against their identity politics. I am an American that votes too and I am not some rarity. I think identity politics are counter productive.

1. No one said you were

I will say you're fond of implying lots of people are lazy, which is condescending of you.

2.First of all there's a big difference between a mob/riot and a lynch mob that actually targets someone
Folks have made cohesive arguments and been ignored, riots are the result of government failing their citizens

3.it's not a matter of liking them, it's a matter of being honest about other people and not just saying they're all lazy or stupid

My Worldbuilding:

Tags
realspace, serious business