Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 09-02-2012, 03:13 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Default Thoughts on Future Class Options

I just had a few ideas bumping around in my head about future classes, and races for that matter.

Advanced Class Hero Classes: The overall idea is, you get a character of a basic level up to a certain point, you can then make an advanced version of it on another realm. For instance, if I level a mage up to a certain point, I unlock the Archmage, which handles just like a mage, but starts at a higher level, possibly in it's own starting level like Dalaran. Could be used to give us Farseers, Archdruids, Crusaders, etc.

Mirror Classes: Function just like the classes that we already have, but have different names for the class, the abilities, and the specs, as well as having different ability animations and such. For instance, instead of a Warlock, you have a necromancer/necrolyte. Uses undead pets, frost spells instead of fire, and death spells instead of affliction. But, mechanics wise, it's the same class. Slightly inspired by the mirrored faction based classes of TOR.

Uber Classes: Hero class idea to implement some of the more powerful heros from Warcraft 3. These classes would, by nature actually, be more powerful than base classes even of the same level. However, they are limited in their use, and take up more than one spot in groups. Examples would include Keepers of the Grove, Liches, Dreadlords, etc. Probably not my strongest idea.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:22 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I don't really think there's any compelling reason to implement any of those. In the case of Uber classes, there are compelling reasons not to implement it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: JulianPatel#1800

I like the idea of mirror classes, but aside from your 'Frost Warlock as a Necromancer' example I cant think of any other classes that would work as a mirror. Shadow Paladins would have been an option at one time but that wouldn't be so different from a Death knight.
Old 09-02-2012, 03:35 AM

Eternal
Location: The most gorgeous place in the world (if you've been there you know what I'm talking about)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I don't really think there's any compelling reason to implement any of those. In the case of Uber classes, there are compelling reasons not to implement it.
You're probably right on the Uber-Classes. The Mirror Classes I don't see as particularly necessary, but they'd be fun.

The Advanced Hero Classes on the other hand could be useful. Let's say you've leveled your shaman up, but you have a friend playing on the other side, or on another server. While you could just pay for a transfer, what if you aren't particularly keen on abandoning where you are? An advanced hero class would allow you to play what you've been playing with your friend, but let you keep the character it's based on where it's roots are.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
I like the idea of mirror classes, but aside from your 'Frost Warlock as a Necromancer' example I cant think of any other classes that would work as a mirror. Shadow Paladins would have been an option at one time but that wouldn't be so different from a Death knight.
You have a point there. I'm having trouble thinking of any either. I suppose perhaps that could just be changed into a glyph or something that makes the changes. Glyph of Necromancy (changes your pets to undead). Glyph of Icy Death (changes your Destruction spells from fire to frost).

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-02-2012 at 03:38 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 03:51 AM

Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menel'dirion View Post
The Advanced Hero Classes on the other hand could be useful. Let's say you've leveled your shaman up, but you have a friend playing on the other side, or on another server. While you could just pay for a transfer, what if you aren't particularly keen on abandoning where you are? An advanced hero class would allow you to play what you've been playing with your friend, but let you keep the character it's based on where it's roots are.
A fair point, but there isn't really much reason to make it an Advanced Class and not just be an option to start a normal class at a higher level.

Quote:
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 09-02-2012, 03:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
A fair point, but there isn't really much reason to make it an Advanced Class and not just be an option to start a normal class at a higher level.
Fun content. A fancy title. Wouldn't it be fun to start an Archmage on the (phased) streets of Dalaran, or an ArchDruid in the (again phased) moonglade? A Crusader (Cut hero from Warcraft 3 that used a lot of seals) it either lights hope chapel or Hearthglen?
Old 09-02-2012, 03:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Lets just give everyone a 4th spec
Old 09-02-2012, 04:02 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm cool with it.

Would you give Warlocks a Demon Hunter Spec or a Necromancy Spec?

I'm hung up on just making Necromancers a glyph for Warlocks and spliting the Demonology spec into one that summons and one that transforms and uses two swords vs. just giving Demonology Locks two swords and giving them a Necro spec.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
I'm cool with it.

Would you give Warlocks a Demon Hunter Spec or a Necromancy Spec?

I'm hung up on just making Necromancers a glyph for Warlocks and spliting the Demonology spec into one that summons and one that transforms and uses two swords vs. just giving Demonology Locks two swords and giving them a Necro spec.
I think Warlocks and Necromancers are too different. An unholy DK is probably the closest we'll get.

I do like the idea of a "frost warlock" though.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:06 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I think Warlocks and Necromancers are too different. An unholy DK is probably the closest we'll get.

I do like the idea of a "frost warlock" though.
Sub a ghost for an imp, a skeleton with a shield for a Void, a Banshee for a Succubus (or maybe for a Fel Hound instead), you get the idea. In my mind it's just a matter of swapping out the pets. Which is why I think a glyph could get the job done.
Old 09-02-2012, 04:08 AM

Quote:
I'd be okay with this.
  • Warlock : Demon Hunter [Tank]
  • Warrior : ???
  • Death Knight : Infernal (Bolvar-themed) [Healer]
  • Hunter : Berserker? [Tank]
  • Mage : Arcane Warrior [Tank]
  • Priest : ???
  • Paladin : ??? [Spell-DPS?]
  • Rogue : ???
  • Monk : Crane-Stance [Spell-DPS?]
  • Shaman : Earthwarder () [Tank]
  • Druid : Already has it!

Quote:
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I'd be okay with this.
Give Priests a Bow Spec (representing Anduin and Tyrande). Could give Mages the Necro Spec (create lots of quickly killed pets). I like your DK spec. Give Monks a Blademaster Spec (melee DPS, but bigger weapons).

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-02-2012 at 04:41 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 04:21 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
You have a point there. I'm having trouble thinking of any either. I suppose perhaps that could just be changed into a glyph or something that makes the changes. Glyph of Necromancy (changes your pets to undead). Glyph of Icy Death (changes your Destruction spells from fire to frost).
It could be done with a single "Flavor Glyph" that doens't occupy a regular slot.

One problem is that since the schools pair up in opposite, Frost vs. Fire, Nature vs. Arcane and Holy vs. Shadow, it would be somewhat restrictive. Some ideas in this vein:

Mage to Elementalist - Switch Arcane for Nature. Lightning Blast for Arcane Blast, Ball Lightning for Arcane Missiles etc. Leave Frost and Fire as they are.

Priest to Witch Doctor - Change Holy (healing and damage) to Nature and Shadow to Arcane.

Druid to Harvest Witch - Replace Nature and Arcane with Holy and Shadow (or perhaps Fire and Frost). However I can't think of any thematic for the Sun and Moon.

Death knight to Demon knight. - Changes Frost to Fire. The reverse of Warlocks. This would difficult to reconcile with the storyline of their starting experience.

Shaman to Geomancer - Nature (healing and damage) changed to Holy. Fire spells change to Shadow and Frost to Arcane. Not sure how their totems would work.

The less magical classes that put out mostly Physical damage would be harder.

Quote:
I'd be okay with this.
Warrior : Bastion [Tanks with dual-wielded shields]
Death knight: Cryptlord [Spell-DPS]
Priest and Paladin: Inquisitor [Holy Spell-DPS]
Rogue: Ranger - [Ranged Physical-DPS] (a Marksmanship Hunter in leather)
Monk: Stance of the Wily Crane - Stormdancer [Spell-DPS]

Last edited by Jon Targaryen; 09-02-2012 at 04:26 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 04:25 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Targaryen View Post
It could be done with a single "Flavor Glyph" that doens't occupy a regular slot.

One problem is that since the schools pair up in opposite, Frost vs. Fire, Nature vs. Arcane and Holy vs. Shadow, it would be somewhat restrictive. Some ideas in this vein:

Mage to Elementalist - Switch Arcane for Nature. Lightning Blast for Arcane Blast, Ball Lightning for Arcane Missiles etc. Leave Frost and Fire as they are.

Priest to Witch Doctor - Change Holy (healing and damage) to Nature and Shadow to Arcane.

Druid to Harvest Witch - Replace Nature and Arcane with Holy and Shadow (or perhaps Fire and Frost). However I can't think of any thematic for the Sun and Moon.

Death knight to Demon knight. - Changes Frost to Fire. The reverse of Warlocks. This would difficult to reconcile with the storyline of their starting experience.

Shaman to Geomancer - Nature (healing and damage) changed to Holy. Fire spells change to Shadow and Frost to Arcane. Not sure how their totems would work.

The less magical classes that put out mostly Physical damage would be harder.
Flavor glyphs........ I like it! Oh, and you're Death Knights, don't make it demon based. Make it fire based and it has to do with Bolvar.

Last edited by Menel'dirion; 09-02-2012 at 04:33 AM..
Old 09-02-2012, 04:53 AM

Arch-Druid

About the concept of uberclasses: maybe they could use those after we reach level 100. A level 100 Druid becomes a level 0 Archdruid for example.

They could even have different names based on faction for some classes. A level 100 Alliance Warrior becomes a level 0 Knight and a Horde Warrior becomes a Champion.
Old 09-02-2012, 08:29 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: mjbmitch#1158

I've had ideas for this sort of thing since they started talking about hero classes. There is a fine detail of a fourth spec and/or a race/class in order to feel completely immersed and unique.

With spell resistances gone, this idea can be easier to implement without unbalancing the core combat system.

I'll just use a paladin as an example. Orcs and trolls both have people that consider themselves to be a "bloodletter". These people fight similar to a paladin in that they have both healing powers and a combat prowess. The main difference is that they use different magic to peruse their powers. Imagine playing as an alpha bloodletter with all of the paladin's abilities. Now rename the abilities, specs, change the animations, and icons to something more blood-like and you've got yourself a "new" class without the balancing issues.

Of course this idea is really only meant to lightly implement race/class spells but it could be used for creating entire race/class archetypes. Imagine the ability Black Arrow for troll hunters... now imagine it being renamed Voodoo Arrow. It adds nice flavor to the character without having to balance the "new" spell.
Star Wars: The Phantom Menace was the most disappointing thing since my son. I mean, how much more could you possibly fuck up the entire backstory to Star Wars? And while my son eventually hanged himself in the bathroom of a gas station, the unfortunate reality of the Star Wars prequels is that they'll be around... forever. They will never go away. They can never be undone.
Old 09-02-2012, 09:59 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I'd be okay with this.
For Priest, I think that a ranged holy damage spec will be good. For rogue, ranged Dps. For warrior, can't say.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:14 AM

Arch-Druid

I would love a glyph that switched all shadow and light spells on priests so I could heal as shadow and get Holyform and melt faces with rainbows.
Old 09-02-2012, 10:32 AM

Banished

I want a class that can wield Pistols.
Old 09-02-2012, 11:58 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadinhad View Post
I want a class that can wield Pistols.
I once tried to convince my GM to let me play a "Plumbumancer".

"I'm a lead wizard motherfucker!"
Old 09-02-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Give Priests a Bow Spec (representing Anduin and Tyrande). Could give Mages the Necro Spec (create lots of quickly killed pets). I like your DK spec. Give Monks a Blademaster Spec (melee DPS, but bigger weapons).
This idea. I like it!

• Warrior : Captain America (Shield-only. Or BuckyCap's Shield-and-Gun combo) [Tank]
  • Death Knight : Infernal [Healer]
  • Priest : Holy Ranger [Healer]
  • Paladin : Reckoning [Spell-DPS]
  • Rogue : Bard [Healer]
  • Monk : Crane-Stance [Spell-DPS]
  • Shaman : Earthwarder [Tank]

Quote:
Old 01-06-2013, 06:13 PM

I feel like discussing the idea of fourth specs more. And so, I bump.

Quote:
Old 01-06-2013, 06:24 PM

Eternal

Warriors should be able to heal, by virtue of yelling at their teammates until the wounds close, along with the judicious application of motivating prods and kicks.
Old 01-07-2013, 08:23 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

Quote:
This idea. I like it!

• Warrior : Captain America (Shield-only. Or BuckyCap's Shield-and-Gun combo) [Tank]
  • Death Knight : Infernal [Healer]
  • Priest : Holy Ranger [Healer]
  • Rogue : Bard [Healer]
  • Monk : Crane-Stance [Spell-DPS]
  • Shaman : Earthwarder [Tank]
I like your list but I'll make a few additions.
When it comes to different roles or being hybrid I'd like to split it up beyond the trinity. Split dps into Ranged/spell dps and Melee dps.
Change all weapons, except for spell power weapons, so that the main stat changes your highest main stat(Either Agility or Strength)
Edit: explanation for each spec.
    No need to explain here. Look at the "tankish" glyphs of Demonology.
  • Warrior : Enforcer [Ranged-DPS](Bows,crossbows and guns)
    As Azeroth's technology advances the prevalence of ranged weaponry, especially guns, increases. An Enforcer would be the warrior who follows the changing times. A police officer would be a good example of an Enforcer.
  • Death Knight : Necromantic [Spell-DPS] Unholy changes to using spell plate [Melee](So that more specs uses Spell plate)
    A necromancer in plate, using his undead minions and the very energies that runs thorugh the undead against his foes from afar.
  • Hunter : Ranger [Ranged-DPS] (Sacrifices pet for personal dps). Change Beastmaster [Melee-DPS] More akin to the Elven Ranger of the RPG books. The beastmaster changes to give the class more variety, Rexxar stands as model for this change.
  • Mage : Spellmender [Healer](Rhonin uses arcane to heal in ToW)
    Several sources says that a mage can mend wounds with arcane energies. Combine this with spells which alters time. Either forwards it, slows it or turns it back.
  • Priest : Spiritbow [Spell-DPS]
    Inspired by the night elven priesthood and Anduin, this class empowers their ranged weapons to smite any foes they encounter.
    The most priestly of Paladins, driven fanatics that burn any heretics with pure Light and fire.
  • Rogue : Stalker [Ranged DPS]
    She's the stalker in the night, always staying just out of sight. Waiting for her chance to strike down her pray with poisoned projectiles.
  • Monk : Crimson Scribe[Spell-DPS]
    As war tears Pandaria apart, the scholar monks of the Red Crane has decided to take a more active part in protecting the homeland.
  • Shaman : Earthwarden [Tank]
    A master of earth and ice, a windbreaker in the storm. Slowly and purposely grinding down any opposition. Indomitable and eternal.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!

Last edited by Yaskaleh; 01-07-2013 at 09:33 AM.. Reason: Further edtiting
Old 01-07-2013, 10:14 AM

Elune

Demonhunters? Mhmmm.... I, the mighty Gul'dan, approve...

Tags
class, world of warcraft