Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-17-2012, 08:37 PM

Eternal

The amount of time between one expansion to the next varies from expansion to expansion.
Old 08-17-2012, 08:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
The amount of time between one expansion to the next varies from expansion to expansion.
No it's 1 year.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:01 PM

Eternal

Approx time between vanilla-BC, 1 year, though Vanilla and BC were fairly messy timeline wise. I could take wrath being a year after BC too. After that, everything becomes much more linear and, I don't know, stable, for lack of a better word. Wrath took a while, and the shattering was quite the ordeal as well, however, the often forgotten event known as the nightmare war also took place between wrath and cata, and I don't think that went by in a few days. When Cata comes out, the common knowledge was that it was now 5 years after vanilla, meaning that if Vanilla->BC>wrath was 3 years in total, it was 2 years to Cataclysm. That is if it was exactly 3 years between the 3 "acts" of wow so far.
Cataclysm went by fairly quickly according to the lore, although HOW quickly really depends on what you read.
Charge of the aspects, taking place after 4.2, says that Thrall saved the dragonflights several weeks ago, which was referring to twilight of the aspects, which took place relatively close to the beginning of cata, as Thrall had to be back at the Maelstrom as a bad ass in time for us to go to deepholme, because he sure didn't look struggling when we got there.
I can not find the link ANYWHERE, despite how I know that it said somewhere, and was mentioned on a wow insider queue aswell, that MoP was 1 year after Deathwing's defeat, which could very well not make it exactly 2 years after Cata's beginning. Hell, Cata could have taken 3-5 months, we probably will never know.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:32 PM

Elune

Nope 1 year.
Old 08-17-2012, 09:44 PM

Elune

You're totally trolling.

Nothing contradicts Westfall saying Vanilla to Cata was 5, so it simply can't be a year between each expansion.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:01 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
You're totally trolling.

Nothing contradicts Westfall saying Vanilla to Cata was 5, so it simply can't be a year between each expansion.
Nope it's definitely 1 year.
Old 08-17-2012, 10:47 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
You're totally trolling.

Anduin's age indicates it was only 1 year between WOTLK and cata.

There's paradox. Let's see if Blizzard wants to fix that.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:04 AM

Druid of the Claw

For those late to the party, I'll post this again so you can draw a more educated opinion on what you want to believe regarding time between expansions.

Evidence supporting one year between expansions:
Opposing evidence:
To me, the former evidence seems more legitimate and researched than a possible slip-up from a quest designer or an angry demon estimating how long he's been tied to a rock. While I realize the manga and Anduin's age may also be wrong, the date got through the supposedly intense lore-check for novels, and Anduin's age has been upheld for many years. I have also hypothesized that VanCleef may have been killed shortly before Vanilla lore-wise, which would make it about five years.

Leviathon and Cemotucu summed up my reasoning for believing the manga and Anduin's age.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
(Referencing Blackhorn saying the Third War was "a decade ago." I chalk that up to nothing more than how you'd say a war was 2 decades ago when it was actually 18 years ago. It's just for the sake of approximating.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
The novels have a date. While the game has another that I see more possibly un-cannonical, given what Omacron said about the novels beign constantly reviewed and checked.
Old 08-28-2012, 05:43 AM

Sentinel Queen

According to Tides of War, Anduin's 14. I brought this (and Jaina's comment on it being almost a year since Garrosh was made Warchief) on wowpedia, and Zeratul updated the unofficial timeline.

This seems to confirm the '1 year per expansion' theory, and further debunks the Wrath-Cata timegap.

Old 08-28-2012, 09:49 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niars View Post
According to Tides of War, Anduin's 14. I brought this (and Jaina's comment on it being almost a year since Garrosh was made Warchief) on wowpedia, and Zeratul updated the unofficial timeline.

This seems to confirm the '1 year per expansion' theory, and further debunks the Wrath-Cata timegap.
Also... Jaina is in her thirties in ToW, while she was 23 in RotLK.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 08-28-2012, 10:09 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Also... Jaina is in her thirties in ToW, while she was 23 in RotLK.
Nope, she was exactly 30 in RotLK
Old 08-28-2012, 10:23 AM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Nope, she was exactly 30 in RotLK
Sorry... 23 in the Third War part of RotLK.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 08-28-2012, 11:31 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:

Excellent.
Old 08-28-2012, 12:27 PM

Elune

Quote:

Old 08-29-2012, 01:16 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-29-2012, 01:42 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
So MoP ends a year after Deathwing kicks the bucket, apparently.
So exactly like every other expansion.

And you dicks said I was trolling!
Old 08-29-2012, 02:18 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
So exactly like every other expansion.

And you dicks said I was trolling!
My impressions was that before there was a year gap between the ends and the beginnings, not between the ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 08-29-2012, 09:33 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
My impressions was that before there was a year gap between the ends and the beginnings, not between the ends.
I think they gave up on trying to have a realistic timeline. I can't imagine the pain the poor children in school must go through, in one 10 year period, we have like 6 wars, several apocalypses, hundreds of major and minor people of import dying or doing big stuff, new chunks of land encountered, a new continent and God knows what else can be crammed into an Azerthian year.

I was actually really happy when the rumour that cataclysm took place 10 years after the burning crusade spread around. (This quest here where they say "A decade ago OR in outland, and people misread, thinking it said a decade ago in outland). It just made more sense that all these changes would take time to happen, and not these major events happening like clockwork, one after another after another after another after another.
Old 08-29-2012, 10:04 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
I think they gave up on trying to have a realistic timeline. I can't imagine the pain the poor children in school must go through, in one 10 year period, we have like 6 wars, several apocalypses, hundreds of major and minor people of import dying or doing big stuff, new chunks of land encountered, a new continent and God knows what else can be crammed into an Azerthian year.

I was actually really happy when the rumour that cataclysm took place 10 years after the burning crusade spread around. (This quest here where they say "A decade ago OR in outland, and people misread, thinking it said a decade ago in outland). It just made more sense that all these changes would take time to happen, and not these major events happening like clockwork, one after another after another after another after another.
If your character was 16 during the First War, he'd only be about 45 now.

Warcraft characters who have died of old age are few and far between. The only ones I can think of are Alonsus Faol and Mother Kashur. Though I'm sure there are more, and I'd love to add them to my list!
Old 08-29-2012, 10:14 AM

Elune

Is it just me or are in-game quests becoming less and less reliable as sources of lore since Cataclysm?
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 08-29-2012, 05:58 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Is it just me or are in-game quests becoming less and less reliable as sources of lore since Cataclysm?
They were never reliable in the first place, I feel.

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 08-29-2012, 07:11 PM

Echo of the Past

I made a comment on the wowpedia unofficial Timeline talk page, arguing in favor of extending the First War for one more year and eliminating the year gap between the First and Second Wars.

You've all heard me talk about it here before; just a heads up.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:46 PM

Druid of the Claw

From the Reddit AMA:

Quote:
The last official timeline puts Wrath of the Lich King at Year 27. However, there is contradictory information regarding Cataclysm's place in the timeline. Sources such as the Cataclysm manga, the Shattering, and Anduin's age would seem to indicate fairly solidly that it sits a year after Wrath of the Lich King (Year 28). However, Matoclaw's reference to the battle of Hyjal being "a decade ago" and the Deadmines intro quest that says VanCleef died five years ago suggest that it's actually three years after Wrath (Year 30). What is Cataclysm's proper place in the timeline?
This is the most red-shirtiest of questions so far! Congrats!
But it's a good question.
Matoclaw was just estimating when she says "a decade ago." It was closer to ... what, seven years I think?
I can tell you that the quest team is definitely being a little ambitious with Anduin - we write him as though he's 17 or so, but in reality his age is younger.
And since we're being honest, we're intentionally a little bit vague about exact time periods in-game. The content we put in will be played for years, so sometimes things get a little ... spongy.

Makes me think we're definitely on the right track with saying Mists starts in Year 29. But alas, they continue to avoid a definitive answer.
Old 09-11-2012, 09:16 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
And since we're being honest, we're intentionally a little bit vague about exact time periods in-game. The content we put in will be played for years, so sometimes things get a little ... spongy.
That sounds an awful lot like "Quest dialogue isn't canon, when it mentions specific timeframes."
Old 09-11-2012, 09:36 PM

Elune

It's 1 year.

Tags
chronology, timeline, warcraft