Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 10-26-2017, 01:54 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
They are under no obligation to explain to players what internal data is. If people were to freak out about something they just think's going to happen based on datamining the correct response in my eyes would just be to further encrypt the files. The way people can be about datamining is why companies like Square and ANet use so much encryption/don't allow datamining on the scale Blizzard does.
If people starts speculating about crap and getting false hype, it's not your fault, but it is your responsibility to shut it down, specially if it can turn into a backlash.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 10-26-2017, 02:12 PM

Eternal

I vehemently disagree. Blizzard has absolutely no responsibility for people falling for fake leaks or speculating and then being disappointed that it didn't happen. That's entirely the people's own fault.
Old 10-26-2017, 02:23 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Jiggle physics?

Blizzard's been going to some weird MLP fansites
Old 10-26-2017, 02:49 PM

Eternal

You're getting really desperate to blame Blizz for something when you start thinking they should apologize for datamined files.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:16 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: AlexWolf#1390

I think y'all are missing the point that if blizzard doesn't want people to feel let down they should stop the hype from building
Sylvanas shook her head. Her locks had been pale blond in life, but appeared to be silver, and now they looked almost as white as her sisters. They were the moons, Alleria had teased, calling them Lady Moon and Little Moon, while she and Lirath the eldest and the youngest were the suns of the family, with their bright golden tresses. Alleria .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ArJe--CGatg
Old 10-26-2017, 03:18 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
I think y'all are missing the point that if blizzard doesn't want people to feel let down they should stop the hype from building
All hype is good hype
Old 10-26-2017, 03:34 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakurako View Post
People getting hyped based on rumors and speculations can only blame themselves for the later disappointment. Blizzard is not responsible for whatever shit people get to invent, and if they start shooting down rumors, then people would just speculate even more expecting to guess future content by elimination. "Hey, Blizzard didn't address this one as false, so it must be true!"

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 10-26-2017, 03:37 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
All hype is good hype
Yeah... tell that to Warlords of Draenor.
Old 10-26-2017, 03:43 PM

Elune
BattleTag: miffy#1110

Quote:
Originally Posted by DerpiusMaximus View Post
You're getting really desperate to blame Blizz for something when you start thinking they should apologize for datamined files.
^ a thousand times this.

Seriously, it's really fun to hunt for clues, check theories and fakes and sift through PTR clients, but it is not their responsibility to keep morons from hyperventilating over their own fantasies.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:28 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

In the end I just think people should watch how much they tell themselves to expect based on tiny datamined info from a dbc file. At the very least expect nothing more than the 4 things there.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:
At the very least expect nothing more than the 4 things there.
I don't want to imagine the fires this would cause on Blizzard's forums. Already the crowds have been sharpening their pitchforks and oiling their torches because Mag'har Orcs and Dark Iron/Wildhammer Dwarves aren't listed in those databases BEFORE more elves were listed.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:07 PM

Demon Hunter

Responsibility? I mean, if people are getting hyped about shit that isn't coming, its their desire to do something about it to avoid disappointment. But they won't. Their best strategy is to impress us with the announcement they do make and if they can't, then its their fault and wow's playerbase will take the hit.
Old 10-26-2017, 06:47 PM

Elune

Quote:
In the end I just think people should watch how much they tell themselves to expect based on tiny datamined info from a dbc file. At the very least expect nothing more than the 4 things there.
I dont even expect those
Old 10-26-2017, 07:29 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruinshin View Post
I dont even expect those
Personally I'm not sold entirely on the whole 'sub race' thing either but guess we'll see.
Old 10-26-2017, 07:44 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Personally I'm not sold entirely on the whole 'sub race' thing either but guess we'll see.
I hate to say it, but I'm hoping for them. I haven't been able to play and enjoy WoW in years. High Elves (Void Elves) on the Alliance would get me back into the game again more long-term. Call me shallow, I just can't stand any other race. Blood Elves have the perfect models and animations for casters, and no one else on the Alliance works for me, and I really just don't like the Horde. I used to be fairly neutral towards it until I felt forced to play it for so long just to use a model I enjoy.
Old 10-26-2017, 08:18 PM

Arch-Druid

Of course nothing is set in stone yet, but subraces were likely long before the datamined info came out last week.

It has been a strong topic since the character model update in WoD. Back then, Blizzard was flooded with requests for customization/subraces, and almost every Q&A had a question about them. In one official Q&A, the most upvoted question was about subraces.

I remember at least 2 interviews in which they not only talked about subraces, but named wildhammers, dark irons, brown orcs and high elves among them.

Back at WoD, they planned an achievement to unlock brown skins for orcs. THe icons still exist in the game files to this day.

But then, why didn't they implement subraces or customization in Legion? Remember that they plan at least two expansions ahead. They were already planning Legion when WoD was released.

After WoD, Legion came and they focused on updating combat animations, then cast animations (still Work in Progress, but probably finalized by 7.3.5), and they've been talking about "customization" for some time.

Early this year, they talked at least two times about "improved customization" and doing it in "an awesome way".

And, while this is not a fact, I suspected the nightborne were being introduced to seed a subrace for blood elves. 7.1 Insurrection campaign and 7.3 "Silgryn with the Horde" made me feel I was in the right track.

Then came the Lightforged Draenei, with unique customization.

And, finally, the 7.3 datamined subrace info.

There are strong signs that they are indeed going to reveal "Improved Customization" as a feature next week, with subraces being a part of that.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).

Last edited by Deicide; 10-26-2017 at 08:36 PM..
Old 10-26-2017, 10:33 PM

Eternal

I mean, it makes a lot of sense.

One slightly modified model for each faction - tauren and draenei.

One model of the opposing faction for each faction - night elf and blood elf.

Considering that the parent race would have the same classes as the subrace, and that certainly high elves would have paladins, but night elves don't, that'd be a problem. Except, you can just give paladins to night elves!

And also, with the above, each faction would get a druid race, perhaps with slightly different animal models!

And if subraces have the same racials as the parent race, then how do you explain shadowmeld for high elves? Well, just make them have a shadow theme!

My only hope is that Nightborne and Void elves don't get the hero classes, since it wouldn't make sense, or if they do get them, have a different starting experience, which is unlikely. (although depending on the high elf model, DH and DK for the would be fine)

Also, start at level 110, since anything prior to that wouldn't make any sense.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:40 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Jiggle physics?

Blizzard's been going to some weird MLP fansites
I mean like the "jigglebones" in weapons in TF2 that make them all jiggly.
Old 10-26-2017, 10:44 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

they will probably call them hero race because they start at a higher lvl.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:30 AM

Eternal

Alt-groups/sub-races/whatever are indeed a possibility, and not the weakest one at that. However, I would strongly advise any of you against growing anyhow enthusiastic of the prospect. No matter how likely something might seem, it still can easily end a no-thing.

So, sure do speculate, I do that myself as much, but do not get attached to any ideas, lest you are driving yourself towards bitter dissapointment.
Old 10-27-2017, 03:31 AM

Troubadour
BattleTag: Krainz#1972

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
and that certainly high elves would have paladins, but night elves don't, that'd be a problem.
Now would they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
they will probably call them hero race because they start at a higher lvl.
That would actually make sense.
Old 10-27-2017, 04:42 AM

Faerie Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Insane Guy of Doom View Post
I mean like the "jigglebones" in weapons in TF2 that make them all jiggly.
There are sound files called "unknown\sound\FX_Foley_hangingLamp_periodic_05_17 24062.ogg" in the same range of IDs as the SeabraidStallion and under the same encryption key (E07E107F1390A3DF). So the .phys (physics) file might be related to that lamp hanging from the horse.
Old 10-27-2017, 08:50 AM

Demon Hunter

I bet it's got a mane of slimy braided kelp, entwined with barnacles and shells.

The sound files for it have a spooky echo effect. My guess is it's an undead horse dredged up from the sea, with a ghostly lantern on it. Not skeletal, but fleshy like Invincible.

Like a horse version of the dead sailors in John Carpenter's The Fog.
Old 10-27-2017, 09:52 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eelgrin View Post
I bet it's got a mane of slimy braided kelp, entwined with barnacles and shells.

The sound files for it have a spooky echo effect. My guess is it's an undead horse dredged up from the sea, with a ghostly lantern on it. Not skeletal, but fleshy like Invincible.

Like a horse version of the dead sailors in John Carpenter's The Fog.
If you're right I seriously hope that's not the only example of that aesthetic in the expansion. I want a spooky ghost ship with undead sailors right out of Pirates of the Caribbean, Maw of Souls wasn't enough as only a dungeon.

Killing Helya off so quick was a wasted opportunity.

Last edited by Asterisk; 10-27-2017 at 09:55 AM..
Old 10-27-2017, 11:17 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
If you're right I seriously hope that's not the only example of that aesthetic in the expansion. I want a spooky ghost ship with undead sailors right out of Pirates of the Caribbean, Maw of Souls wasn't enough as only a dungeon.

Killing Helya off so quick was a wasted opportunity.
I’m hoping so too. I don’t see them doing pirates without also doing spooky pirates.

I mentioned this the other day, but my money’s on a plot hook featuring some kind of undead fleet and Bolvar’s involvement. I could see Jaina, unwilling to ask for help from either faction, going to Bolvar for help with fighting off Old God influence on Kul Tiras. Not exactly a “good Scourge”, but a LoTR army of the dead - style “fight shadow with shadow” kinda thing.

Last edited by Eelgrin; 10-27-2017 at 11:21 AM..
Closed Thread

Tags
world of warcraft, wow legion