Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-04-2017, 07:51 AM

Eternal

Okay, whatever suits you.
Old 05-04-2017, 07:57 AM

World Builder

Do any of you have tips on the various types of ships speeds / travel times? Thinking of translating some of them to the Solthris thread later on.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 05-04-2017, 11:15 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
When Blizzard verbally/textually confirms the Tol Barad location, or the separation of this river by an isthmus that doesn't appear in any other medium and isn't referenced by text here, then I'll turn off my denial mode.
Even taking the map into consideration, that "isthmus" could very well just be a stretch of the river that was too narrow to be depicted in the map.
Old 05-04-2017, 12:23 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: InsipidLobst#2126

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Do any of you have tips on the various types of ships speeds / travel times? Thinking of translating some of them to the Solthris thread later on.
The blend of steam/sail ships of the line used in the Napoleonic Wars could only hit a max reach of 12 knots. If that's any help. HMS Victoria (1859) could only just scrape 12 knots if the planets aligned and that was the last ever wooden British ship. Frigates however -could- reach an almighty 14 knots in the age of Sail.

You're easily looking at around the 4-14 knot mark for WoW ships tbf, that's if you're not involving any magic bullshittery.
“Children are dying." Lull nodded. "That's a succinct summary of humankind, I'd say. Who needs tomes and volumes of history? Children are dying. The injustices of the world hide in those three words.”

Last edited by Insipid_Lobster; 05-04-2017 at 12:27 PM..
Old 05-04-2017, 05:50 PM

Echo of the Past

^ Magic bullshittery is another factor. Depending on how prominent it is in your universe, you may consider creating a magi-naval power. Warcraft II ships could be Hasted, Slowed, Unholy Armored, Flame Shielded, and very famously Invisible'd. Get a culture that draws magical power from water and wood, and a whole lot becomes feasible. An invisible ship that holds fireball-shooting mages is effectively a submarine, and it's more believable than the oil geysers in WCII.

NEW TOPIC: Oil

So, oil. Fossil fuels. In our world, it took about 300 million years for fossil fuels to be formed. Are Azeroth or Draenor that old?

What prehistoric creatures would these have been, more often beneath the sea than on land? And if the world was too young for it... does that mean mages and shaman were using epic-aging magic to speed the ancient corpses along?
Old 05-04-2017, 07:55 PM

Eternal

I think any and all pre-Black Empire life on Azeroth was solely elemental. Afterwards (when the Titans arrived), not more than a hundred thousand years passed (that's the time I have set - it could really be anything at all).

Life after the Titans evolved just like on our own... Except in an extremely fast pace due to the blood of Azeroth. Dinosaurs, for example, came before mammals.

Anyway, oil itself could either be an elemental byproduct (we did have an Elemental Sundering after all), something from the Black Empire (icky) or just like real life, except once again way faster.
Old 05-04-2017, 08:30 PM

Echo of the Past

Shadow Orb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
I think any and all pre-Black Empire life on Azeroth was solely elemental. Afterwards (when the Titans arrived), not more than a hundred thousand years passed (that's the time I have set - it could really be anything at all).

Life after the Titans evolved just like on our own... Except in an extremely fast pace due to the blood of Azeroth. Dinosaurs, for example, came before mammals.

Anyway, oil itself could either be an elemental byproduct (we did have an Elemental Sundering after all), something from the Black Empire (icky) or just like real life, except once again way faster.
After reading a little, I've decided I like the idea of oil being a byproduct from the days of the Black Empire. Just look at the verbiage:

Quote:
Originally Posted by wowpedia
After slamming into Azeroth from the Great Dark Beyond, the Old Gods embedded themselves in the world's surface and sent their tentacles slithering towards the planet's defenseless core and its nascent world-soul. As they spread their corruptive influence across the land, two races arose from the organic matter that seeped from the their blighted forms: the cunning n'raqi and the resilient aqir.
Plus it fits well with most of it resting beneath the ocean floor. I bet old god goo wouldn't even need hundreds of millions of years to become nasty fuel..
Old 05-05-2017, 01:26 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

The Old Gods are implied to be huge underground. Yogg'saron's "head" was in Ulduar but he reached at least all the way to Grizzly Hills to fuck with Voldrassil.

If they were imprisoned for long enough, parts of their bodies could atrophy, die, necrotize, rot and become oil over time. I like that theory a lot.
Old 05-05-2017, 06:45 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The Old Gods are implied to be huge underground. Yogg'saron's "head" was in Ulduar but he reached at least all the way to Grizzly Hills to fuck with Voldrassil.

If they were imprisoned for long enough, parts of their bodies could atrophy, die, necrotize, rot and become oil over time. I like that theory a lot.
Burning bits of Old God corpses for fuel is some borderline Doom franchise material, and not likely to end well for anyone involved.
Old 05-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Eternal

Quote:

There was also Saronite as far south as Feralas and Duskwood so...
Old 05-05-2017, 11:13 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Magtheridon loved ships so much he had them INSIDE his Hellfire Citadel, making special canals for them.

How much do YOU love ships?
Where did Magtheridon get his oil from to fuel his juggernaughts?
Old 05-05-2017, 11:19 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Where did Magtheridon get his oil from to fuel his juggernaughts?
Well, they were called FEL juggernaughts.
Old 05-05-2017, 11:45 AM

Echo of the Past

The oil in our world has different qualities based on where it was found in the planet, which primordial life it came from.

The oil of Azeroth and Draenor would have distinct qualities, too, being formed from two completely different types of organic, concentrated evil.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 05-05-2017 at 11:50 AM..
Old 05-10-2017, 01:38 AM

The Sun King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marthen View Post
Well, they were called FEL juggernaughts.
Bingo.

Also, Draenor, too, has Old God remnants scattered around, and one OG in the process of summoning.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:43 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Bingo.

Also, Draenor, too, has Old God remnants scattered around, and one OG in the process of summoning.
I think Chronicle 2 established there was no old god on Draenor, but later Arakkoa who turned to void magic attempted to summon one during TBC.
Old 05-10-2017, 01:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
I think Chronicle 2 established there was no old god on Draenor, but later Arakkoa who turned to void magic attempted to summon one during TBC.
On the other hand, the remnants of the Evergrowth would provide plenty of oil to have.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:28 AM

Eternal

In theory, Draenor could still have had an Old God that got roflstomped by the Evergrowth.

Tags
alcohol, critical thinking, grackle facts, warcraft, you are a pirate