Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 01-20-2012, 03:21 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Human Icon (War3) Do the tauren eat cows?

Same for the worgen eating wolves and what not. I'd think they'd find it a tad unsettling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Arch-Druid

Are there any cows on Kalimdor?
Old 01-20-2012, 03:33 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
Same for the worgen eating wolves and what not. I'd think they'd find it a tad unsettling.
Such a peaceful race must surely long to exercise a little barbarism every now and then. Steak and beef give them a (relatively) harmless way to outlet their inner madness.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:37 PM
Slowpokeking

Diablo cows eat tauren.
Old 01-20-2012, 03:53 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I think Duskwood has Worgen either eating a wolf corpse or fighting over who gets to eat it. (Among other wildlife in the region.)
Old 01-20-2012, 04:17 PM

Elune

Tauren should eat the weakest members of their young..
Old 01-20-2012, 07:08 PM

Hippogryph Rider

Meanwhile Undead like to host dinner parties and eating the living, main course is thrall
Old 01-20-2012, 09:44 PM

Huntress

Pretty sure I recall one of the Thunder Bluff food vendors selling beef jerky, or something of the sort pre-Cataclysm.
Old 01-21-2012, 10:21 AM

Banished

I once killed Fleetmaster Seahorn 65 times in one day.

That guy's a douchebag.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:04 PM

Chimaera

Tauren eating cows wouldn't be any stranger than humans eating monkeys (which they do, in real life at least) or orcs eating pigs (which they always have done, even back when they were more porcine in appearance in the WCII days) or the Forsaken eating each other (which they do). Plus, the trolls are straight-up cannibals.

Now Worgen eating wolves? That's just weird. Wolves are too high up on the food chain, so their meat isn't very tasty or nutritious, and they are generally less healthy to consume. There's a reason that we tend to eat from low down on the food chain, instead of breeding predators for food. Toxins are passed on to whatever creature is doing the eating. This is normally a very low dose where herbivores and scavengers are concerned, but if you eat a carnivore, then you're getting all the toxins from every animal that the carnivore has ever eaten. It's just a bad idea.
Old 01-21-2012, 07:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Clearly being plague immune makes Worgen immune to carnivore toxins.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:37 PM

Eternal

There are Worgen eating wolves in duskwood. Go check it out, slightly west of Darkshire, should be easy to find. But remember Worgen are a bit crazy sometimes and will eat everything, much like undead. (feral worgen that is)

Tauran eating cows, I don't know. From what I gather, they hate being compared to cows (Fleetmaster seahorn and bossy quest in booty bay), but I can see them finding it weird.

Do your average humans eat chimps? While we are two different species, we have similer characteristics, and so it would feel strange to me to eat an animal that isn't too far off from our own species.
Old 01-31-2012, 12:49 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

I doubt the regular tauren diet includes cows simply because there don't seem to BE that many cows in Kalimdor- the only one I can think of is a doodad swept up in the Darkshore tornado mostly as a reference to the movie "twister". That's like asking "Do Japanese people eat Rhinoceros"? It's not like there are rhinos in Japan nor is it considered a delicacy per se, but there's nothing preventing them from metabolizing it.

If a Tauren were served a beefsteak by a member from another culture, I doubt they'd freak out but they probably don't eat beef since I'd hazard to guess that Kodo fulfill that role in their society and diet.
Old 01-31-2012, 01:40 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I doubt the regular tauren diet includes cows simply because there don't seem to BE that many cows in Kalimdor- the only one I can think of is a doodad swept up in the Darkshore tornado mostly as a reference to the movie "twister". That's like asking "Do Japanese people eat Rhinoceros"? It's not like there are rhinos in Japan nor is it considered a delicacy per se, but there's nothing preventing them from metabolizing it.

If a Tauren were served a beefsteak by a member from another culture, I doubt they'd freak out but they probably don't eat beef since I'd hazard to guess that Kodo fulfill that role in their society and diet.
After all, I would try Chimp meat. Delicious Chimp...
Old 01-31-2012, 03:58 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
After all, I would try Chimp meat. Delicious Chimp...
There's an episode of Always Sunny you should watch titled "Mac and Dennis: Manhunters." it's relevant to your current interests.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:39 PM

Eternal

Pandaren eat bear meat
Trolls eat night elf ears
gnomes eat dirt when kicked over
humans eat whatever bobs on the surface of the stormwind canals.

Yep, I guess its all roundabout and swings.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
gnomes eat dirt when kicked over
Bitch.

Step outside.
Old 01-31-2012, 06:44 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

I don't see why not, nowhere in Tauren culture have I ever seen them identifying with cows in any meaningful way.
Old 01-31-2012, 10:30 PM

Elune

I really don't understand where a question like this is coming from.

I would have absolutely zero compunction with eating any monkey/primate given that the dish itself is tasty.

Then again I am a convicted carnivore to the point I would gladly butcher a pig or a cow since I figure that not doing so is hypocrisy, my actions kill them anyway.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:20 PM

Wisp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
I don't see why not, nowhere in Tauren culture have I ever seen them identifying with cows in any meaningful way.
That's because WE'RE NOT COWS.

*dons Stylin' Purple Hat*
I blame /moo for spreading this unhealthy misconception. Tauren. Are. Not. Cows. Not related to cows. Cows are domesticated bovine unguligrades. Which means Tauren pre-date cows. First druids arguments aside, the Tauren species has been around at least as long as Night Elves, and many thousands of years longer than humans have been raising cows. (And if you accept the artwork in Halls of Lightning as lore accurate, Tauren and Night Elves were first.) It is not only impossible lore-wise, but impossible biologically for Tauren to descend from a species that evolved after them.

Then there's the other biological issue; cows are ruminant herbivores. All meat is poison. They are physiologically incapable of digesting even plant matter without breaking it down multiple times. Their teeth, horns and hooves never stop growing, and the teeth must be worn down by the process of re-chewing their food repeatedly.
Tauren by contrast, are omnivores. They are known to eat cooked and prepared grains, dairy, fish, and meat as a normal part of their diet. Their horns stop growing; if that weren't the case, Hamuul's horns would be wider than his shoulders, to say nothing of Cairne's. (Hooves of course, must continually grow as in all species, to deal with normal wearing. Much like fingernails.)

So, biologically, Tauren actually have more in common with a real world prehistoric species known as the Sinonyx; a hoofed carnivore. Modern ungulates (e.g. cows!) descend from it, as well as - wait for it - boars, which are the only modern hoofed carnivore.

The reason Tauren would not eat cow regularly is purely cultural. (But they do eat beef.) One, domesticated cows are not native to Kalimdor. They're a human thing. Two, cows are domesticated herd animals that require a large amount of space, food, and effort to move - not something a nomadic culture would be particularly enamored of. Three, cows are poor haulage animals as compared to Kodos which are native to Kalimdor. A single Kodo can likely carry 2-3 times as much as an ox.

There. So now the next time someone asks this question you can just direct them here.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:26 PM

The Warcraft magazine article states that they descend directly from a bull ancient, and the ancients were in all likelihood some of the earliest lifeforms on Azeroth and a direct representation of the natural world, IE, there had to be cows in the world for them to represent.

Bulls are male cows.

Tauren are related to cows and do not predate them.

Old 02-04-2012, 08:28 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalamuya View Post
Oh, shit, another one.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:29 PM

Yay, we have creepy forsaken, night elf and now tauren fans.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Banished

It might have been a slip, let's not call in extermination just yet.
Old 02-04-2012, 08:30 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CptCarrot #1688

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imalamuya View Post

-wall of text-
I know, that was my point >_>*