Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-29-2009, 11:57 AM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Tome of Knowledge The Warcraft Timeline

We keep seeing the WC timeline fluctuate with additions to the story, most recently with the Ashbringer finale and the Rise of Arthas. As of right now, it seems prudent to discuss and formulate how the timeline has probably developed into, if so that we can know what we're talking about in later threads. Once everyone's got a decent consensus I'll edit this first post with the proper dates.

Rise of the Horde Timeline by Vineyard
http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=4705

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.

Last edited by Shaman; 03-20-2015 at 01:24 AM..
Old 05-29-2009, 12:06 PM

Arch-Druid

I feel like my mind gets fucked over whenever I try to assemble a cohesive Warcraft timeline.

Last edited by Dark Avenger; 05-29-2009 at 12:21 PM..
Old 05-29-2009, 12:17 PM

Arch-Druid

I think the general timeline of each war: WoTA, WotH, Troll Wars, WC1, 2, and 3 is mostly consistent. It might help to point out first which dates/events are in question before we can come to a consensus on them

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:20 PM

Arch-Druid

I think it would make it a little bit easier if we look at the timeline step by step and look at events and dates presented in the last books, comics and Game Texts)

The Most Important are now:

- The Rise of the Horde and Pre-1st War Azeroth
- The First War
- The Second War - Beyond the Dark Portal
- The Interwar Years
- The Third War
- Before World of Warcraft
- World of Warcraft
- The Burning Crusade
- Wrath of the Lich King
Old 05-29-2009, 01:02 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

First of all:

Let's try to create order; just because introducing dates or amounts of time will kill us all.

I would take each single game, and then add the other sources' events trying not to retcon anything.

For some things, like the Eredar retcon, I'd include the 2 versions, and let the reader decide whether one of them isn't real or both could be canon.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-29-2009, 01:11 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

War1 was made and things were good.
War2 was made and things were still good.
War2ex was made and things kept steady.
War3 was made and things got a little messy.
War3ex was made and the mess grew larger.
WoW was made and things went to hell.
WoWex1 was made and things wish they were bad enough to be in hell.
WoWex2 was made and the world died.
Old 05-29-2009, 01:23 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Azeroth's timeline (no Legion/Titan/Draenei/Orc stuff included):

-Titans arrive to Azeroth and order it.
-The Old Gods arrive/appear, corrupting stuff.
-Titans come back and lock the Old Gods away.
-Night Elves appear and build an empire.
-WotA.
-The Highborn get exiled and the druids go to sleep.
-Quel'Thalas is founded.
-Strom is founded, the Troll Wars.
-The other human nations and Ironforge are founded.
-The Council of Tirisfal is founded.
-The Great War of Lordaeron.
-The War of the Three Hammers.
-WC1/The Last Guardian.
-WC2/Tides of Darkness.
-WC2x/Beyond the Dark Portal.
-Day of the Dragon.
-Lord of the Clans.
-WC3. The Arthas book (which continues on from here).
-WC3x.
-Circle of Hatred (or whatever that crap was called).
-WoW begins.
-And so forth.

edit: Cantus has to compile a conclusive one from the partial versions posted by people and edit it into the opening post. It's his duty.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.

Last edited by Kerrah; 05-29-2009 at 01:46 PM..
Old 05-29-2009, 01:24 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Yuber enlightened me.

There's a real consistent Warcraft timeline. The timeline of it's own destruction, a list of the events from outside Azeroth affecting Azeroth itself.

You know, like games or certain books. And we could make a parallel line with the effects it had over the community, like the Appendix wars and the Dawn of the Leprechaun, as well as invasions of bots and farmers.

I'd pay for a tale telling the nuke of TBC at E3, also known as the Draenerdar incident and the fall of the draenei.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 05-29-2009 at 01:27 PM..
Old 05-31-2009, 03:27 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantus View Post
We keep seeing the WC timeline fluctuate with additions to the story, most recently with the Ashbringer finale and the Rise of Arthas. As of right now, it seems prudent to discuss and formulate how the timeline has probably developed into, if so that we can know what we're talking about in later threads. Once everyone's got a decent consensus I'll edit this first post with the proper dates.

Proper dates?
Does it means the exactly year or time of the event happened?
Or just orders / sequences of the events happened.

Well somehow I feel I've got a little messed up with the time of the quests / story happened in game. Especial when the comics are introduced. Like the examples I listed below.

1. The deception and death of Onyxia:
It really looks Windsor was rescued and returned to Stormwind in the end of the year of where The Burning Crusade takes. And Varian killed her right before few days of zombie infection / 3rd scourge invasion which lead to Wrath of the Lich King. But another curious case is Nefarian, C'Thun both died long ago before Onyxia's death where it was originally placed in the year of Vanilla World of Warcraft.

2. The 2nd Scourge invasion and the Scarlet Crusade:
Naxxramas leaded the assault and sent floating necropolis to attack its enemy in the last few months of year of Vanilla World of Warcraft. While the Horde and the Alliance fighted them back, Darion and the Argent Dawn attempts to free Alexandros and found only death in Naxxramas. Also the Scarlet Monastery seemed never being attacked by the adventurers, or it was just Renault and Whitemane survived the onslaught? Anyway after this event, it should be Tirion Fordring and the quests chain of Of Love and Family.
Then the Argent Dawn requested helps from the Horde and the Alliance, they break through and Strotholme to clear the zealots of Scarlet Crusade leads by nathrezim Balnazzar and Scourge leads by Baron Rivendare. Meanwhile some Scarlet Crusade joined the united forces and formed Brotherhood of Light with Argent Crusade. They broke the defense of Naxxramas and defeated Kel'Thuzad for the first time. But the traitor Montoy stole Kel'Thuzad's phylactery and fled to Northrend with Naxxramas. Both Argent Dawn and the Scarlet Crusade stayed and cleared the remain Scourge in the plaguelands.
With all things had settled, the re-opening of the Dark Portal came with the year of The Burning Crusade.
Old 02-03-2012, 01:00 AM

Critter

Default The Warcraft Timeline

WOW!!! awesome post, nice things to follow, thank you very much for this great piece of work!!!
Old 02-04-2012, 11:01 AM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by barry35malone View Post
WOW!!! awesome post, nice things to follow, thank you very much for this great piece of work!!!
This bot makes me think of Barry Manilow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Druid of the Claw

Tome of Knowledge

With many years of frustration trying to find a complete timeline of events in the Warcraft universe, I finally decided to go out and gather as much knowledge on it as I could myself. While I don't agree with the unofficial compilation timeline on Wowpedia/Wowwiki, I believe most of the year spacing to be correct. The framework was gathered partially from these unofficial timelines, the old official timeline from the Blizzard website in 2007, and this timeline based off of the births of Arthas Menethil and Anduin Wrynn made by Berenal of Moon Guard (US). For my own purposes, I've arrived at this timeline as a usable one for story purposes. This doesn't include all events, nor is it exact (although it is roughly correct, and at the very least, in the correct chronological order). I haven't found there to be any glaring holes or conundrums with this version, but I'd like to hear other people's feedback to see if I overlooked anything, and also to provide a usable version of a timeline for people to use.

Note: In addition to not really providing any details with what happened each year (other than names of books or games), I don't agree with the unofficial timeline on Wowpedia/Wowwiki mostly because of the time that it claims passed between WoW expansions. Berenal explained it in his post:

Quote:
Anduin as a World of Warcraft Year guide:

Contrary to popular opinion, The Timeskip between WotLK and Cata was not five years or any large margin of years, rather several months. This is proven by using Anduin Wrynn as a guide.

Anduin is a lifesaver for keeping track of the years of WoW. Going by his age at the start of Vanilla, He was 10.

Eradicate the Burning Legion, a quest ended by Nazgrel in Outland, claims 5 years have passed since Hyjal, which backs up the claim of Vanilla only being 1 year and as such making Anduin 11 at the time.

The year is once again confirmed as 12 in WOTLK during the novel Stormrage when he is stated to not quite be 13 yet.

It is flatly stated as 13 in both The Shattering (Pg. 268) and Wolfheart (Page 638).
Let me know what you guys think!

Timeline:
Updated version here.

Last edited by Slaman; 07-05-2012 at 09:30 AM.. Reason: Redirecting to updated timeline.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:22 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaman View Post
Year -11 (583): The Orcs invade Azeroth and assault Stormwind, but fail to destroy it. (1)
Year -10 (584): Adamant Wrynn is killed, ushering in the Age of Chaos. Llane is pronounced King. (1)
Year -7 (587): Varian Wrynn is born. (Speculation, he was a “few” years older than Arthas when he met him)
Year -4 (590): Arthas is born. (Tides of Darkness)
Year 0 (594):[LIST][*]Blackhand takes charge of the Horde and the First War's major battles occur. This is the commonly accepted as the beginning of the "First War".
I don't think the Blackhand thing is correct anymore, at least if Rise of the Horde is upheld. I think now, Blackhand took control of the Horde while still on Draenor, before the Dranei settlements had been fully destroyed.

Quote:
[*]Alterac is destroyed after Lord Perenolde's rebellion is discovered.
To my sadness, I don't think Alterac was destroyed at this time anymore... now, it was just occupied by Lordaeron forces. The Warcraft III map image of "Alterac Ruins" is a mistake. I've asked a few times, and I don't think there's an official stance on what exactly destroyed Alterac... seems that it was either the Scourge or a pack of Ogres. Or something.

Quote:
Year 6 (600):
  • The Second War begins in the later part of this year.
  • Alterac is destroyed after Lord Perenolde's rebellion is discovered.
  • Gilneas began construction of the Greymane Wall and cuts ties with the Alliance.
  • Gul'dan dies at the Tomb of Sargeras.
Year 7 (601):The Second War ends early in the year after the Assault on Blackrock Spire (where Sir Lothar fell) and subsequent finale at the Dark Portal.
Good lord, please please Blizzard make this wrong. Please don't tell us that it took a few months to wage war through Khaz Modan, across the Great Sea, through Aerie Peak, across outer Quel'thalas and the Northlands, across the Alterac mountains, at the gates of Lordaeron City, away to the Tomb of Sargeras, then back through the Arathi Highlands and Khaz Modan, back to Blackrock Spire, and finally back to the Dark Portal itself. Don't tell us that it was the end of one year and the beginning of the next for the Seven Human nations to align with High Elves, Dwarves, and Gnomes and for the clans of the Orcish Horde to recruit the Forest Trolls and Goblins, and also enslave the Dragon queen Alexstrasza to use her children, and to have all of these races fighting across all of this land to exterminate the other group.

Not in the same universe where a failed attack on Stormwind Keep resulted in 10 years before the next battle. Not in a universe where the Horde under Blackhand and then Doomhammer took 6 more years to cover the short distance from the Dark Portal to Stormwind Keep, this time fighting against only a single human kingdom.

EDIT: If it's a matter of Arthas or Varian aging, then steal a few years from the First War. Honestly.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-03-2012 at 10:27 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 10:35 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
To my sadness, I don't think Alterac was destroyed at this time anymore... now, it was just occupied by Lordaeron forces. The Warcraft III map image of "Alterac Ruins" is a mistake. I've asked a few times, and I don't think there's an official stance on what exactly destroyed Alterac... seems that it was either the Scourge or a pack of Ogres. Or something.
Are you sure about that? I mean the entire country of Alterac wasn't destroyed, since a lot of nations wanted its towns ceded to them and Strahnbrad in WCIII used to be an Alterac town before being taken over by Lordaeron, but at the very least there's no reason to believe Alterac city wasn't sacked.
Old 07-03-2012, 10:41 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Not in the same universe where a failed attack on Stormwind Keep resulted in 10 years before the next battle. Not in a universe where the Horde under Blackhand and then Doomhammer took 6 more years to cover the short distance from the Dark Portal to Stormwind Keep, this time fighting against only a single human kingdom.
This was already retconned in WC II, afaik. The failed attack happend in TLG, shortly before Khadgar discovered Medivh's corruption.

And @ Age: Khadgar's age is also a good starting point to find out when which action actually happened.

In Year 8, Khadgar was 22. (Source: BtdP)
He became Medivh's apprentice when he was 17. (Source: TLG)
22-17= 5
8-5= 3

Which means the story of TLG happens during year 3-4.
Just the maths.

Oh, and yes the Second War lasted indeed only a few months, I'm afraid. In BtdP it is indeed mentioned that 2 years have passed, since the Horde was defeated.

@Omacron: Before your internship ends:

PLEASE ask in which year Garona was born.

Edit:

Found a mistake.

Quote:
Year -23 (571): Medivh goes into a coma and kills his father Nielas Aran. (1)
Year -17 (577): Medivh wakes up as King Llane reaches his Age of Ascension. (1)
This is also not correct anymore. It was shown in both TLG and the WoW comic that Medivh's coma lasted for 20 years, not 5.

Please ignore the WC I timeline from the manual, most of the stuff in there was already retconned.

Last edited by Vineyard; 07-03-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Old 07-03-2012, 10:49 AM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
I don't think the Blackhand thing is correct anymore, at least if Rise of the Horde is upheld. I think now, Blackhand took control of the Horde while still on Draenor, before the Dranei settlements had been fully destroyed.
You'll have to enlighten me there as I don't have a copy to peruse through, but I always thought it would make more sense that they had him as Warchief before charging through the Portal.

Quote:
Either way it was destroyed and Perenolde was a traitor. Wording might need to be changed

Quote:
Good lord, please please Blizzard make this wrong. Please don't tell us that it took a few months to wage war through Khaz Modan, across the Great Sea, through Aerie Peak, across outer Quel'thalas and the Northlands...
This was one of the harder points to puzzle out while making this. It's also one that I was very interested in, as Lothar is one of my favorite lore characters. For whatever reason, there's no record I can find of when Lothar died, nor is there any definitive boundaries on the beginning and end of the Second War. I speculated here that the Second War ended earlier in year 7 because I think I read somewhere that the Expeditionary Force didn't go through the Portal again right away (IE, it was closed for a few months at least).
Old 08-02-2012, 01:28 PM

Echo of the Past

I just want to point out that, when I come to this thread to check out an unofficial-but-likely timeline, I've been...

1) Clicking on the last pages of this thread.
2) Doing a "Ctrl F" search for the word "wild".
3) Clicking on the link in Slaman's signature.
Old 08-02-2012, 02:36 PM

Druid of the Claw

Quote:
I just want to point out that, when I come to this thread to check out an unofficial-but-likely timeline, I've been...

1) Clicking on the last pages of this thread.
2) Doing a "Ctrl F" search for the word "wild".
3) Clicking on the link in Slaman's signature.
Rofl, that's exactly why I added it to my signature. I was having issues myself with accessing the timeline and going to my bookmarks was too cumbersome, so I added it to my signature and just did a Ctrl+F on my name wherever I was in the thread. I'm glad I could assist
Old 01-14-2014, 03:21 PM

Echo of the Past

Default Building the Tirion Timeline

For the past couple of days, I've been working on a timeline that incorporates Warcraft II, Of Blood and Honor, and Warcraft III. This is what I have thus far, and this is how I went about it:

Step 1: Two Anchors
The timeline will start with two anchors: 583 and 606.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft manual
As the last sands trickled to the bottom of the glass, a great crashing sound was heard at the gates of Stormwind Keep. Suddenly, the grounds were filled with hideous creatures. Gross deformities, a cruel reflection of humanity, they swarmed over the King’s guard and tore them to shreds. King Wrynn sent Llane and Queen Varia with an escort of knights to Northshire Abbey, promising to call for them when the foul beasts had been destroyed. That day has not yet come.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft II: ToD manual
Thus, in the year 583, the first of Medivh's unnatural Portals was opened between the world of Azeroth and the red world of the Orcs.
583 will serve as the completed transformation of the Rift into the Dark Portal and the first attack on Stormwind Keep. In the modern timeline, it is equivalent to the Year 0.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft II: BtDP manual
On the Eve of Summer in the year 606, a freak darkness swept across of the Black Morass.
It’s the last time we’ll hear a specific year, in terms of the old calendar. It shows us that the Year 606 was after the Second War ended and just before or just as the Invasion of Draenor began.

These will be our X and Y when looking at time progressions.

583- Beginning of the First War (First Battle of Stormwind)
606- Crossing of the Bleeding Hollow

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 2: Aegwynn’s Retcon

Let’s get a little controversial now. This will not be a Warcraft: Orcs & Humans friendly timeline. It only works with the lore starting with Warcraft II and lasting through Warcraft III.

There is a key statement in Aegwynn’s account, in the Warcraft II manual:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft II: ToD manual
The arrival of Gul'dan and the Horde War Chief Blackhand heralded a war that tore the realm of Azeroth asunder for nearly five years.
The original Warcraft manual depicted a much longer war. Lothar’s account gave 10 years between the 583 events and the start of the game. Garona’s account gave “some 15 years” between them. For extra fun, the Warcraft II intro (narrated memorably by Bill Roper) proclaims that “Six Years have passed” since the first war.

Various retro timelines attempt to find compromise between Lothar’s 10, Garona’s 15, Aegwynn’s 5, and Roper’s 6. For the sake of experimentation, I’m going to ignore Lothar’s 10 and Garona’s 15, and I will treat Aegwynn’s 5 as a hard retcon. I feel it’s the only way to make future additions fit the timeline, as we’re going to see in the next step.

588- End of the First War (Fall of Stormwind Keep)

It’s unclear whether Roper’s 6 is going to be a full six years after the First War (with the Second War beginning in 594) or if it’s going to be six years from the start of the First War--as in five years for the First War and then one more year of build-up (with the Second War beginning in 589). We’ll leave it off the timeline for now and come back for it later.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 3: Tirion Fordring as the Rosetta Stone
We next look to Of Blood and Honor, written by Chris Metzen himself in early 2000. It gives two remarkable reference points.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Blood and Honor
Yet Tirion Fordring was no fool. After thirty years of serving the Alliance as a Paladin, he recognized that only one thing could cause the otherwise stoic emissaries to be so troubled: War was returning to Lordaeron.
That’s 30 years between the time when Tirion became a paladin and the events of OBaH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Of Blood and Honor
It had been nearly twelve years since the war against the orcish Horde had ended.
That’s “nearly 12” years between the end of the war against the Horde and the events of OBaH. And oh my goodness, from this we can calculate about 18 years between the time when Tirion became paladin and the time when the wars ended.

Tirion may have become a paladin years after the Order was founded. But for the sake of experimentation, let’s say he joined the same year the First War ended.

588- Tirion Fordring becomes a Knight of the Silver Hand
606- War against the orcish Horde ends
618- Tirion Fordring is excommunicated from the Silver Hand

It fits. There are 18 years between 588 and 606, so Tirion becoming a paladin and seeing the Horde defeated are two events that coincide perfectly with the years we set for the end of the First War and the crossing of the Bleeding Hollow.

This is why we had to do away with Lothar’s 10 and Garona’s 15, if we wanted to keep the year 606 as an anchor. Increasing the length of the First War at the expense of the Second War screws up the year when Tirion is said to become a paladin.

Of course, it’s unclear here if the end of “the war against the orcish Horde” refers to the Destruction of the Dark Portal (WCII), the Second Destruction of the Dark Portal (WCII:BtDP), or the Battle of Grim Batol (DotD)—the latter of which wasn’t officially part of Warcraft lore when OBaH was written. We’ll save that question for later.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 4: Human and Undead Insights
Finally let’s look to the Warcraft III manual, the Human and Undead sections. They have a few reference points we should consider:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III manual: Human History: The Shadows Return
After nearly thirteen years of peace, the rumors of war began to circulate once again.
That’s 13 years between the beginning of peace and the start of Warcraft III. If we match it around Tirion’s quote, that makes Warcraft III take place about 1 year after OBaH. Now let’s look to the undead:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III manual: Undead History: War of the Spider
For ten long years, Ner'zhul built up his power base in Northrend.
That’s 10 years between the Second Destruction of the Dark Portal and the War of the Spider. It would be helpful if we knew whether the second portal was destroyed in 606, or if it was destroyed later.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III manual: Undead History: Kel’Thuzad and the Cult of the Damned
Kel'Thuzad returned to Lordaeron in disguise, and over the span of three years, he used his fortune and intellect to gather a clandestine brotherhood of like-minded men and women.
That’s 3 years for Kel’Thuzad to build up the Cult of the Damned, after pledging himself to Ner’zhul. The text indicates that some time may have passed between the War of the Spider and Kel’Thuzad’s recruitment, plus it’s possible that some more time may have passed between the Cult of the Damned’s creation and the beginning of Warcraft III, but we do know there must be AT LEAST A MINIMUM of 13 years between the Crossing of the Bleeding Hollow and the events of WCIII.

Let’s put that minimum on the timeline and see what we get.

616- War of the Spider
619- Kel’Thuzad forms the Cult of the Damned
619- The Shadows Return in Lordaeron after thirteen years of peace

The year 619 scores a hit as “thirteen years of peace” and start of Warcraft III (per the Human History text). It scores another hit as the minimum requirement of time elapsed between 606 and the beginning of Warcraft III events (per the Undead History text).

Year 619 is thus our strongest candidate for the start of the Third War.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 5: Thrall as the Final Gauge

Warcraft III has a lot of information about the course of Thrall’s life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III manual: Heroes and Villains: Thrall, Son of Durotan
Thrall was 24 at the start of Warcraft III.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warcraft III manual: Orcish History: Thrall's Tale
During the dark days of the First War, a cunning Human officer named Aedelas Blackmoore found an infant Orc abandoned in the wilds. The infant Orc, whom Blackmoore aptly named Thrall, was taken to the prison-fortress of Durnholde. There, Blackmoore raised the young Orc as a favored slave and gladiator. Intending to train the young Orc to be not only a peerless warrior, but also an educated leader, Blackmoore hoped to use Thrall to take over the Horde, and thereby achieve dominion over his fellow men.

Nineteen years passed and Thrall grew into a strong, quick-witted Orc. Yet his young heart knew that a slave’s life was not for him.
Thrall was 19 when he escaped from Durnholde Keep.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orcish History: Thrall's Tale
He also discovered that he was the son and heir of the Orc hero, Durotan – the true chieftain of the Frostwolves who had been murdered in the wilds nearly twenty years before. . .
Thrall was found by Blackmoore nearly 20 years before his contact with the Frostwolves. It's difficult to measure the difference between "19" and "nearly 20", but I bet it’s the difference between immediate escape and finding the other orcs. There won’t be a difference between them on the timeline.

We’ll use Year 619 as the start of Warcraft III and work from there. Subtract 24 for Thrall’s birthyear and subtract 5 for his escape from Durnholde.

595- Thrall is born
614- Thrall escapes from Durnholde Keep
616- War of the Spider

We have a problem here, a conflict. Thrall has to be born and discovered by Blackmoore during the First War.

This causes problems with Tirion’s reference points. OBaH is meant to take place 30 years after Tirion became a paladin (which had to happen after the First War ended), but WCIII tells us the First War was still being fought only 24 years before the Third War.

Impossible. Incompatible. Timeline failure.

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Step 6: Cheating and Resolution

Do you remember Roper’s 6? “Six Years have passed since the first war between man and orc?” Let’s throw it in as a six-year interwar period, between the First and Second Wars…

594- Beginning of the Second War (Shores of Lordaeron campaigns)
595- Thrall is born
616- War of the Spider

Interesting. If we say that “the dark days of the First War” last until the Second War begins, then it’s only one year away from Thrall’s birth. It’s so close… so beautiful and so close…

You know what? Maybe I’m misreading the “six years have passed” statement. Maybe Stormwind Keep fell, and the Azeroth refugees fled to Lordaeron and formed the Silver Hand together at the end of a year, and then SIX MORE YEARS passed before the next war. BAM!

595- Thrall is born during the “dark days of the First War”
595- Beginning of the Second War (Shores of Lordaeron campaigns)
606- End of the Second War (Destruction of the Dark Portal)
606- Invasion of Draenor and Battle of Grim Batol
616- War of the Spider
619- Beginning of the Third War

And there you have it. A basic timeline that factors in the major events from Warcraft II, Of Blood and Honor, and Warcraft III. With a little cheating.

From there you can add other things from the retro sources, mainly birthdays. The target year for War of the Ancients is a mess, as is Aegwynn's defeat of Sargeras. But Day of the Dragon actually may have insight on when the orcs captured Alexstrasza.

But no, it doesn't work with everything. Lord of the Clans has a neat part that says the Frostwolves have had a shamanistic understanding with the wolves and goats for 30 years, which matches the start of the First War. Yet they also make references that indicate the fighting against orcs ended about 20 or 15 years ago, which doesn't fit so well.

The Last Guardian is just a mess with years, which I hadn't realized. It says Aegwynn lived for 1000 years, that she defeated Sargeras 800 years ago, and that she gave birth to Medivh when she was 750. It also says Medivh was in his coma for 20 years so that he's 40+ at the time of the work. But I still want to use the Khadgar's age they give us at 17. Ah well.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-15-2014 at 10:05 AM..
Old 01-14-2014, 05:27 PM

Arch-Druid

Nice work, even if some of the numbers of OBAH (Tealen Retcon) and Warcraft III (wasn't Grom's age also retconned or I'm remembering a mistake from the Horde's Players Guide)

But using Khadgar's age is always a good idea.

By the way, how old is Jaina according to recent sources? In the WCIII manual she was 23. In ToW she say she's ten years younger than Khadgar.

The Second War began in Year 20. So Khadgar was 33.
33-17=16
20-16= 4

This almost fits with his age in the ToD novel (19) and the BtDP Novel (22).

Numbers.

But still, good works. It reminds me at my Rise of the Horde and Ashbringer Timeline. (And Blizzard still didn't give us a Garona birth date.) Finding numbers was really painfull.
Old 01-14-2014, 05:43 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Nice work, even if some of the numbers of OBAH (Tealen Retcon) and Warcraft III (wasn't Grom's age also retconned or I'm remembering a mistake from the Horde's Players Guide)
Right, according to this timeline Tealen would become a paladin in 633 (50), fourteen years after the Third War started. And Grom's age in WCIII unfortunately would make him 10 years old when the First War begins in 583 (0). That's a little unfortunate.

I left in the old Warcraft I reference to the Rift first appearing when Medivh fell into his coma, in 573 (-10). That would be the year Grom is born. It would also have to be the year Garona is born if we go back to when she was half-human instead of half-draenei, making her fifteen years old when she assassinates Llane. Workable, I think.

But not for Grom, sadly. Did the Warcraft III lore actually tell us Grom was the first to drink Mannoroth's blood, or was that later sources? Because if not I can totally fanon that he just heard about it later.
Old 01-14-2014, 08:23 PM

Elune
BattleTag: CEMOTucu#2138

Quote:

By the way, how old is Jaina according to recent sources? In the WCIII manual she was 23. In ToW she say she's ten years younger than Khadgar.

The Second War began in Year 20. So Khadgar was 33.
33-17=16
20-16= 4

This almost fits with his age in the ToD novel (19) and the BtDP Novel (22).
Rise of the lich King says Jaina was 30 in year 27 (WotLK). So she's 33 in MoP and Khadgar is 43.

Loremaster on
MundoWarcraft

(Spanish Warcraft Lore Community and Roleplay)
Old 01-15-2014, 01:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Dammit, just lost a post via missclick. Short Version:

@BG:

http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-1...n-kershaw-sees

Maybe this interpretion makes the two wars into a single Great War.
There wasn't peace between the First and the Second War. Khaz Modan was invaded and was still a (Guerilla) War until Year 10. Ditto Quel'Thalas.

@Cemotucu: Thanks. So her age is still correct.
Old 01-15-2014, 06:41 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
http://www.questia.com/library/1G1-1...n-kershaw-sees

Maybe this interpretion makes the two wars into a single Great War.
There wasn't peace between the First and the Second War. Khaz Modan was invaded and was still a (Guerilla) War until Year 10. Ditto Quel'Thalas.
Well shucks, Vineyard. That's what I've been saying Blizzard should do with their current timeline. A "Great War" lasting from Year 0 to Year 10 is my dream right now.

They've already removed the period of peace between the First and Second Wars, per WoW: Tides of Darkness, so that it's a matter of weeks/days and not years between the time when Stormwind falls and the Horde's landings in Lordaeron. The UVG timeline confirmed this, with an entry for the First War starting in Year 0 and an entry for the Fall of Stormwind in Year 5.

http://wowpedia.org/Timeline_(Ultimate_Visual_Guide)

Unfortunately, those same novels and same timeline very specifically had the Second War begin AND END in the year 6, so that they could have 2 years of absolutely nothing between the Second War and Invasion of Draenor.

If Blizzard would only remove the references to Blackrock Spire and the Dark Portal occurring in Year 6 and allow them to occur months before the Invasion of Draenor instead in Year 8, then my Second War would be expanded from "a few months" to "almost three years" (very beginning of Year 6 to very end of Year 8).

"Almost 3 years" is all I really want there. I don't need the 11-18 years that Of Blood and Honor once gave us.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 01-15-2014 at 06:44 AM..
Old 01-15-2014, 05:53 AM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cemotucu View Post
Rise of the lich King says Jaina was 30 in year 27 (WotLK). So she's 33 in MoP and Khadgar is 43.
44. He was 22 in the BtDP - year 8. Year 30 he is 44.

Tags
chronology, timeline, warcraft