Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 09-09-2014, 06:49 PM

Priestess of the Moon

Garithos hated the non-human Alliance races, which put him one step over the edge. He was the Alliance version of Garrosh.

Daelin was unfortunately presented as a one-dimensional villain. Sure he could have hated the Orcs, and sure he could stage a campaign to try to wipe em out in this new land, but it was pointless. The Kul Tiras navy did not have the upperhand and they provoked a much larger army. They spelled their own doom by sticking to the old ways, which I guess was the whole point of the story.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:08 PM

Loremaster

I never felt Daelin was so much presented as out-and-out bigoted, but rather amounted to a case of "hey guys, WarCraft 2 just showed up and he doesn't care about anything that just happened in WarCraft 3!"

It's a theme that continued into WoW, and frankly it's why I could never seriously main as a human - the humans of WoW are from Stormwind, and Stormwind only bothered giving a damn about the things that happened in WC3 when the Scourge kicked off WotLK by plague-slapping them and forcing them to care. Otherwise, WC3 wasn't their game, so they're generally ambivalent about everything that happened during it.

It's honestly one of my problems with the developments surrounding the fall of Theramore, too. With a piece of WC3 lore blown to bits and Jaina understandably distraught, Varian and Anduin of all people talking her down feels like Stormwind saying "look, this is WoW, and your city's from WC3 - we aren't supposed to get upset about stuff from WC3 during WoW, because Stormwind wasn't in WC3. You didn't see us pitching a fit about Lordaeron, Dalaran and Quel'thalas back in Vanilla, did you?"
Old 09-09-2014, 10:55 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
I never felt Daelin was so much presented as out-and-out bigoted, but rather amounted to a case of "hey guys, WarCraft 2 just showed up and he doesn't care about anything that just happened in WarCraft 3!"

It's a theme that continued into WoW, and frankly it's why I could never seriously main as a human - the humans of WoW are from Stormwind, and Stormwind only bothered giving a damn about the things that happened in WC3 when the Scourge kicked off WotLK by plague-slapping them and forcing them to care. Otherwise, WC3 wasn't their game, so they're generally ambivalent about everything that happened during it.

It's honestly one of my problems with the developments surrounding the fall of Theramore, too. With a piece of WC3 lore blown to bits and Jaina understandably distraught, Varian and Anduin of all people talking her down feels like Stormwind saying "look, this is WoW, and your city's from WC3 - we aren't supposed to get upset about stuff from WC3 during WoW, because Stormwind wasn't in WC3. You didn't see us pitching a fit about Lordaeron, Dalaran and Quel'thalas back in Vanilla, did you?"
Wish he'd gotten a little upset about Hillsbrad and Southshore. They weren't in WC3, but they were in WC2. It's where he personally landed and was granted refuge. Southshore was literally the town that first took Varian in after his kingdom was destroyed and all hope seemed lost. Ignoring its destruction isn't just callous, it's... I mean, it reaches levels of poetic irony. Poetic. Blizzard couldn't have written Varian that jerkish if they tried to.

Sorry, I got distracted just now. What were we talking about? Warcraft III manual?
Old 09-28-2014, 02:04 AM

Warden

I think the whole World of Warcraft/Warcraft III hat is about cooperation, racism, and overcoming differences as well as past hatreds. There's a lot of different degrees in this, though.

Daelin Proudmoore I'm comfortable believing was IGNORANT than evil. He was under the impression that Orcs were creatures from, well, Warcraft II or J.R.R Tolkien. As far as he's aware, they're about as noble or decent as Daleks or Borg. His ignorance and refusal to see how the situation had changed doomed him to die.

Also, the fact he had no right to Theramore since it was a kingdom Jaina Proudmoore found.

Grand Marshal Garithos, however, was just a flat out bigot. He was racist and genocidal against elves with plans to exterminate them on the flimsiest pretext he could come up with. He wasn't confused about the orcs or any other races' past, he just didn't care.

On my end, I like that things are more complicated on both sides than either ever thought.

Tags
get a fucking life, horde bias, my life for the alliance, warcraft iii