Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 10-07-2017, 09:13 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
I went off a Townsends recipe thing and made a mushroom ketchup. This is what I ended up with after starting with 2 lbs of mushrooms.

I'll definitely be tweaking it the next time I make it, but it's still pretty good.
I don't mean to disrespect your cooking, but I can't say your picture of "nondescript brown goop" does anything for me.

What the heck do you use mushroom ketchup for, anyhow? I'm curious, is all. It's not a side and/or topping and/or condiment I've ever heard of, so you'll have to elaborate on what the heck it is if you expect me to be interested more than just confused.

That said, it's Saturday night and I've had a couples beers, so you know what that means. It's time for another episode of "Kellick tries to make an omelette"!

On today's episode, Kellick tries to make a turkey and mozzarella omelette. And to everyone's surprise, it all goes more or less according to plan.

Firstly, it turns out I was out of butter (woops), so I had to go with olive oil this time. I prefer to use butter, because I find I can never tell how much olive oil is too much, but it's perfectly serviceable, so whatever. Whip up the eggs with a bit of milk and a smidge of salt. Dice some leftover turkey breast and toss it and some shredded mozzarella cheese in a bowl on the side.

Wait till the pan's hot enough (measured by my highly scientific method of rolling the oil around and guessing if it's runny enough), then toss in the egg mixture. Use a spatula to push in the edges of the mixture until it stops coming right back to the edges. Wait a minute or so, then add the turkey and cheese to one half of the omelette, then fold it back up, and wait for another two minutes (ish).

The end result? A bit of tearing when I went for the folding, but only enough to mar the presentation but not the omelette's structural integrity.

Lessons learned? Make sure you've got butter before you break the eggs, and leave the egg mixture on the pan just a liiittle bit longer before you throw on the toppings, to ensure that the entire thing holds together nicely.
Old 10-07-2017, 09:24 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
I don't mean to disrespect your cooking, but I can't say your picture of "nondescript brown goop" does anything for me.

What the heck do you use mushroom ketchup for, anyhow? I'm curious, is all. It's not a side and/or topping and/or condiment I've ever heard of, so you'll have to elaborate on what the heck it is if you expect me to be interested more than just confused.
It's not really a "goop." The word "ketchup" has kind of changed over the years. Think less like this and more like this. I use it in a similar way (another flavored umami bomb), but there's a lot more vinegar in it so I have to be lighter with it. Think of it this way: It's a seasoned, vinegary solution containing the juices and flavor of 2 pounds of mushrooms in 1 pint of liquid.

[edit] As an example of usage, I have some frozen pierogi that I threw into the oven and decided I wanted a sauce to go with it. So, I made a roux, then threw in some garlic paste and chile paste, then deglazed with mirin, then added water, pepper, Maggi, Worcestershire, some of the dried mushroom mixture, some of the mushroom ketchup, and a bit of extra MSG. Pretty good stuff.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-18-2017 at 03:30 PM..
Old 10-22-2017, 05:12 PM

Elune

I'm getting back into the swing of this "poor college student" thing with ramen. So I chopped up a mushroom and some kimchi, fried it up in a pot, deglazed with some mirin and (mushroom flavored dark) soy sauce, then poured in water, a spoonful of Tom Yum base, and continued to make ramen as usual (sans flavor packet, of course) with an egg on top.
I think I could get used to this.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 10-22-2017 at 05:26 PM..
Old 10-23-2017, 09:21 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
I'm getting back into the swing of this "poor college student" thing with ramen. So I chopped up a mushroom and some kimchi, fried it up in a pot, deglazed with some mirin and (mushroom flavored dark) soy sauce, then poured in water, a spoonful of Tom Yum base, and continued to make ramen as usual (sans flavor packet, of course) with an egg on top.
I think I could get used to this.
What kind of poor college student has a budget for veggies?

Actually, it's funny to me, because I don't know that I've ever actually had ramen. Though what you've described certainly does seem like something I could thoroughly enjoy.

Anyhow, let me share with you one of my favourite desserts: Pouding chômeur.

It's super simple. Start with flour, butter, milk and brown sugar. Melt the sugar into the butter, then add the milk and flour and pour it in a pan. Toss that in the oven. When it's done, drizzle on a sauce made with equal parts maple syrup, brown sugar and hot water (also, toss in some butter, because Canadian winters are cold and you need all the calories you can get).

If you're feeling fancy, you can dice up some apples and toss 'em in the cake mix.

It's got to be one of my all time favourites, and it could hardly be easier to make. Heck, its name literally translates to "unemployed man's pudding", so you know it's low fuss.
Old 10-23-2017, 09:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
What kind of poor college student has a budget for veggies?

Actually, it's funny to me, because I don't know that I've ever actually had ramen. Though what you've described certainly does seem like something I could thoroughly enjoy.
What strange obscure culture do you live in that has not experienced the ways of instant ramen? I think the popular brand in the UK is "Pot Noodle."
Member #14
Old 10-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
What strange obscure culture do you live in that has not experienced the ways of instant ramen? I think the popular brand in the UK is "Pot Noodle."
I've heard of instant ramen, I've just never had the stuff myself. Most I've been exposed to it was in elementary school, where some kids occasionally brought that to school and ate the stuff dry, powder and all.
Old 11-20-2017, 12:18 PM

Elune

Know what I hate? Restaurants with that stupid "secret menu" gimmick. If I go to a restaurant, I want to see a menu of what they have and how much it costs. I don't want to have to ask around (read: give free marketing to the restaurant by getting people talking about it) to figure out what they have. I don't need them to try to make me feel like I'm part of some cool secret club by knowing the password to get my goddamn food and only find out how much it costs when I'm given my total.
It's like... They wish to give us a sense of pride and accomplishment in unlocking different menu items
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 11-20-2017 at 12:57 PM..
Old 11-23-2017, 02:18 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
It's like... They wish to give us a sense of pride and accomplishment in unlocking different menu items
I see what you did there.jpg

So hey, I decided to try making a grilled cheese using mayonnaise instead of butter for the first time, and I've got to say, I'm a fan. Doesn't do much to altar the flavour, but it adds an extra little crunch to the bread. Bonus points: Add some leftover ham in slices in between the cheese, and you've got yourself one damned fine croque monsieur.
Old 11-23-2017, 03:21 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

I'm way too full to think about food, but I'll try to remember to post a recipe for cheese and bacon corn. So good.

And if I ever make my own turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it goes into the oven upside-down for juiciness in the breast. Thanks, Grandma!
Old 11-23-2017, 08:05 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shekinah View Post
I'm way too full to think about food, but I'll try to remember to post a recipe for cheese and bacon corn. So good.

And if I ever make my own turkey for Thanksgiving or Christmas, it goes into the oven upside-down for juiciness in the breast. Thanks, Grandma!
I remember making some kind of cajun corn dish (which was described by one person who had it as a mélange) at some point. Kinda did it all willy-nilly, but the general idea was cut the corn off a bunch of cobs, fry some onions and garlic in a deep skillet, add the corn, spice to taste.

But with bacon and cheese? I've got to say you've caught my interest.
Old 11-24-2017, 04:33 PM

Elune

Thanksgiving leftovers experiment #1. We took some turkey and mashed potatoes, seasoned them up properly (cumin, chipotle, etc), mixed up some masa dough, and made empanadas with it. Great success.
Member #14
Old 11-24-2017, 08:28 PM

Arch-Druid

Mana

So, pumpkin pie and caramel go surprisingly well together. Top it with chopped pecans and it's heaven in the mouth.

Too bad I have no caramel in the house right now and I'm already in pajamas and sore from shopping today.
Old 11-28-2017, 06:22 PM

Elune

Thanksgiving leftovers experiment #3: Tom yum with turkey, or tom yum kai ngwng according to Google shenanigans. Moderate success. Turkey has a stronger flavor than shrimp or chicken so it doesn't quite work as well as usual.
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 11-28-2017 at 06:24 PM..
Old 12-02-2017, 06:42 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I posit that Desert Pepper Trading Company makes the best salsa, and challenge you all to contradict me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 12-02-2017, 07:03 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I posit that Desert Pepper Trading Company makes the best salsa, and challenge you all to contradict me.
Just like pretty much everything else, canned salsa is subpar. Even mediocre fresh salsa is vastly superior to any canned salsa.
Member #14
Old 12-02-2017, 07:06 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Just like pretty much everything else, canned salsa is subpar. Even mediocre fresh salsa is vastly superior to any canned salsa.
What, you make salsa from ingredients every time you want salsa? Please.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 07:08 PM

Elune

Quote:
What, you make salsa from ingredients every time you want salsa? Please.
I usually just get the salsa you can find in a refrigerated section (often near the deli). It's usually in a small plastic tub.
Member #14
Old 12-02-2017, 07:16 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I usually just get the salsa you can find in a refrigerated section (often near the deli). It's usually in a small plastic tub.
Sure, and that's good for one party (and not very good at that - I've tasted it). Then what? You never just take a bowl of salsa and some chips to watch a movie or something? Or do you have to go out and get a 'fresh' tub every time?

You're just one of those people whose taste in food is colored by your expectations of that food, aren't you? You like the 'fresh' refrigerated plastic tubs better than the 'canned' jars because you've been brought up to believe that 'fresh' is the same thing as 'good'. You've basically been brainwashed. I feel sorry for you.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 07:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Sure, and that's good for one party (and not very good at that - I've tasted it). Then what? You never just take a bowl of salsa and some chips to watch a movie or something? Or do you have to go out and get a 'fresh' tub every time?

You're just one of those people whose taste in food is colored by your expectations of that food, aren't you? You like the 'fresh' refrigerated plastic tubs better than the 'canned' jars because you've been brought up to believe that 'fresh' is the same thing as 'good'. You've basically been brainwashed. I feel sorry for you.
...What? It's not like the stuff goes bad in a couple hours. It lasts just as long as your canned garbage after it's been opened.
My taste in food is colored by my vast experience in trying different things. I like flavor.
Don't blame me for my finer tastes when you're praising "salsa" that has had all its flavor literally boiled out of it until it's a jar of goopy, overly-acidic, super salty and is probably mostly made from canned tomato paste and canned crushed/diced tomatoes. And don't get upset at me because whatever shitty Walmart or wherever you buy your "salsa" from is incapable of making good fresh salsa.
Member #14
Old 12-02-2017, 08:11 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
...What? It's not like the stuff goes bad in a couple hours. It lasts just as long as your canned garbage after it's been opened.
My taste in food is colored by my vast experience in trying different things. I like flavor.
Don't blame me for my finer tastes when you're praising "salsa" that has had all its flavor literally boiled out of it until it's a jar of goopy, overly-acidic, super salty and is probably mostly made from canned tomato paste and canned crushed/diced tomatoes. And don't get upset at me because whatever shitty Walmart or wherever you buy your "salsa" from is incapable of making good fresh salsa.
Your tastes are bad. But you shouldn't feel bad. A lot of people like the same kind of garbage that you seem so keen on.

I bet you like guacamole too.
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 08:17 PM

Elune

Quote:
Your tastes are bad. But you shouldn't feel bad. A lot of people like the same kind of garbage that you seem so keen on.

I bet you like guacamole too.
I bet you eat tacos made those abominations known as "hard shells."
Member #14
Old 12-02-2017, 08:25 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
I bet you eat tacos made those abominations known as "hard shells."
Crisp is a texture that goes well with taco fillings, but no. Hard shells confound me to this day. How are you supposed to eat them without shattering the entire casing?
Quote:
Quote:
Old 12-02-2017, 08:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Crisp is a texture that goes well with taco fillings, but no. Hard shells confound me to this day. How are you supposed to eat them without shattering the entire casing?
It's not just that, they're disgusting. Like stale old tortilla chips but worse. Just use fresh corn tortillas like a normal person!
Member #14
Old 12-19-2017, 10:27 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

I had no idea salsa was such a hot* button issue.

So I recently discovered a Persian restaurant opened in my neck of the woods (apparently it had been around for almost a year already, but it's in a part of town I never visit on account of it being in the ass end of nowhere, so nyeh), and went there for dinner. Lots of kebabs, and more than a few spices I'd never even heard of and words I didn't recognize (The hell's a koobideh?).

And while I can't say I'd have ever thought walnuts and pomegranate would pair nicely with beef and/or lamb, having tried their torsh kebab (kebab torsh?), I have to say, I was rather impressed.

*A-hyuk
Old 01-01-2018, 05:11 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

I'm supposed to tell Saran why his logic makes no sense, but I don't know if I feel like getting into it again.

But I did promise, I suppose. Alright.

So, Saran. I contest your argument that 'eating a still-leaving animal is no 'morally' worse than eating a dead animal'. A dead thing can, presumably, no longer feel pain. A living thing may yet suffer as its bits are carved away. I propose that causing unnecessary pain to an animal you might as well just kill and get over with is a foolish thing to do.
Quote:
Quote:

Tags
'muricans hate mayo, food, food porn, realspace, wololo