Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
You remember that thing knaak did with rhonin? Yeah, Varians getting the knaak ala-rhonin treatment now.
I'll give you Rhonin got super-powered for a good reason. Unfortunately, Rhonin had no GOOD reason to be there in the first place. That irked me more than Rhonin being powerful.

Also, Rhonin, Archmage? That irks me too, but I digress.

Varian's connection to Goldrinn doesn't bother me much, but that's just me. -shrug-

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 10-29-2011, 04:02 PM

Elune

Fools! You have invoked the wrath of Fojar! Quick, take shelter!
Old 10-29-2011, 04:05 PM

Arch-Druid

There were belves there? Strange. I was sure they were the only race Varian (?) didn't have a go at in one of his inner monologues.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:07 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamingGod View Post

Varian's connection to Goldrinn doesn't bother me much, but that's just me. -shrug-
Didn't really bother me all that much either... but the whole running across the forest and fighting scores of enemies without feeling a wee bit of fatigue made me go cross-eyed. I don't think even Goldrinn could do that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaelsino View Post
There were belves there? Strange. I was sure they were the only race Varian (?) didn't have a go at in one of his inner monologues.
They were mentioned two or three times and at one point I believe Varian cut one's hand off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmictimelion View Post
Fools! You have invoked the wrath of Fojar! Quick, take shelter!
Lead them on, Cosmictimelion! The bridge is near. Do as I say! Words are no more use here!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magistrix Verdande View Post
I think I could go down to McDonalds, order a strawberry milkshake, take the bus to the park, enjoy the weather, and then go home, and it'd still be enough to somehow piss off alliance players.
Old 10-29-2011, 04:10 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anasterian View Post
Didn't really bother me all that much either... but the whole running across the forest and fighting scores of enemies without feeling a wee bit of fatigue made me go cross-eyed. I don't think even Goldrinn could do that
That was probably proximity to his shrine and/or spirit, but yes, he was powerful, lots of stamina, and magical, but I've always been of the opinion those without magic are really capped at their power by their races limits. If Varian was just human, that's all he could be. Human.

This is just an explanation for the super-human feats.

"Icrecrown: I hear the natives can be real liches..."
Old 10-29-2011, 05:00 PM

Elune

Quote:
That was probably proximity to his shrine and/or spirit, but yes, he was powerful, lots of stamina, and magical, but I've always been of the opinion those without magic are really capped at their power by their races limits. If Varian was just human, that's all he could be. Human.

Varian did some pretty superhuman stuff before he was blessed by Goldrinn..
Old 10-29-2011, 05:40 PM

Eternal

Quote:

people been whining about what Thralls been doing of late. Funny, considering Varians being made into a super human himself. Seems a fated thing these days, if a character in warcraft now has the devs focusing on them for any length of time, that character gets powers of a super hero.
I wonder if Jaina's going to get blessed by kelecgos in mop.
Old 10-30-2011, 03:59 AM

Treant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tauren Paly View Post
people been whining about what Thralls been doing of late. Funny, considering Varians being made into a super human himself. Seems a fated thing these days, if a character in warcraft now has the devs focusing on them for any length of time, that character gets powers of a super hero.
I wonder if Jaina's going to get blessed by kelecgos in mop.

This smells like dejavu, I making wild guesses here but...does it seem you like Thrall?
Old 10-30-2011, 04:20 AM

Elune

The problem is Blizzard took the story in a direction where superhuman is the new norm.

Any normal characters can't compete, and they all must be special somehow. Super wise, super strong. Super something.

Blessed by a ancient. Trained by a god. Vassal of a Goddess. World Shaman.

The races of Azeroth need these to be relevant to the story, because Blizzard has taken the story in the direction of super strong bad guys.

In Burning Crusade, it wasn't to bad, but still present, though it really started in Warcraft 3.

In Wrath, the scales tipped. Instead of having Arthas be powerful, but able to control undead armies, they made him OMG GOD POWAH and able to control undead armies.

We started killing Titanic watchers. Old Gods started popping up. It's to the point where Dragons are just another critter, and really, it's not something Blizzard can pull back from.

There is no rewind for this. No going back to fighting mortal threats. They just stop being believable with the current characters. No Orc should be able to step into Ashenvale with the powers Malfurion has shown without being instantly killed by the forest.

No human army should be able to be in the Barrens when the Tauren can create chasms when they stomp their feet.

No undead should be able to stand against the powers of the Paladin.

But they do to further the story. It's the problem with many comics. Superman is great and all, but you can't really have him participating in day to day crime without the tension being drained out of the conflict. One of the reasons Batman is so interesting (despite his constant winning) is that at the end of the day, he's a normal guy facing bad guys that are relatively weak compared to others rogue gallery, and even if they are just as dangerous in their own ways as Darkseid, the planet doesn't hang in the balance. Hell, most of the time, the city doesn't hang in the balance.
Old 10-30-2011, 07:15 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evilglad View Post
This smells like dejavu, I making wild guesses here but...does it seem you like Thrall?
Don't make me bring up the L word again, I'm a bull with a loaded gun.

Going on what your saying Ferlion I can relate. One of the things that made warcraft appealing was the awe and mystery that it had, how here we were, the mortal races fighting in this world of azeroth, and somewhere off in unknown lands were these big, mythical beings, the dragon aspects, the titans, the old gods, and it made us the mortal races seem to small in comparison to these beings.

however come recent events, it seems we the mortal races have been going around fighting and killing these big bad evils well they attempt to roflstomp the world, and to match this, blizzard have now been making the heroes of the story, were were mortal like us, into powerful being of the same level as what we're facing. Thrall as this all powerful shaman, Varian with his godlike wolf powers, what next, Jaina being possessed by the spirit of some blue dragon making her mega mage?

Its honstly not needed to tell a story in making the mortal races become as powerful as the enemy they face, if anything it makes the struggle more sweeter if they are not. I'm a comic book fan, and I too like heroes with limits, like batman and wolverine.