Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 08-07-2013, 07:58 AM

Ashbringer
BattleTag: Montoya#1769

Default Mogu: what do you think?

What do you think about the fact that all Mogu seem to be of the same mind? I was surprised that in Pandaria I never came across one that rebelled against the rest to help out Pandaria. I also found it kind of refreshing. How often have we seen a race that without exception is antagonistic towards the rest of the inhabitants of the world? What do you think about this? Would you have preferred a good Mogu? Was there one that I missed?
Old 08-07-2013, 08:01 AM

World Builder

Runes

I would've liked an explanation for why they ALL seemed to be jackasses, or for a few to be worse/better than others.

Something like "Oh they murder any mogu that aren't likeminded" or "They're likeminded because they started as constructs and have essentially the same thoughts and personalities with little variation."

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

It would've been great if Xin had been opposed to the revival of Lei Shen. A king that wants to united the mogu under his banner and become the next emperor, who is unwilling to revive his greatest rival, even if his revival could be the salvation of his people.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:03 AM

Elune

The mogu were boring as all hell, for more or less the reasons you mentioned. They had potential at the beginning, but it clearly shows how much Blizzard thought they had left by Patch 5.2, which was half Zandalari and famous largely for its new troll architecture and units (and dinosaurs). It frustrates me that we have no idea how their minds or societies work... or, hell, where they even live; there are no mogu civilians and no settlements on Pandaria, or even the Isle of Thunder. It's very odd.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:09 AM

Elune

Cool designs, cool powers, nice history, but they were waaaaaay two dimensional in the personality department.
Old 08-07-2013, 09:37 AM

The sneaky Mechanic

I like their backstory and enjoy the fact we see yet another flaw in the Titans being too strict with their...programming? For their servant races that hopefully we can rub in their faces when they inevitably come back and deem Azeroth imperfect. I feel a 'good' mogu could've been if implemented correctly and could've made our assault on the Thunder King's island fortress seem more realistic but I applaud Metzen for not going back to his story crutch of redemption.

One thing that kinda gets me about the Mogu but I guess from Blizzard's end seems necessary is that all their power and majesty just seems to not ring true to me. In comparison to the Zandalari or even the ancient Night Elven empire the Mogu realm was positively tiny. Hell, I think the current Forsaken influence is comparable if not larger than the empire at it's height. Sure they conquered the Pandaren, Jinyu and Hozen but none of those races seem the kind to put up that much of a fight against an emperor who can supposedly shape worlds, if only he knew how. I'll concede that maybe some of their land sunk with the Sundering but there's not a scrap of their presence on the Isle of Giants and that's not all that far north.

Then there's the whole deal with the Mantid, going to war and pushing back Aqir descendants seems to almost be a measuring stick of sorts for Azerothian world-powers (Trolls, Night Elves, the Horde and Alliance) but the best the Mogu could manage was to sacrifice significant amounts of land for an eternal stalemate.

But Blizzard probably felt it necessary to try and provide us with an enemy equal to the demon hordes, endless undead and army of apocalypse-bringers before them in a way that to me feel like unnecessary narrative power-creep, to me there's far more telling than showing of the magnificence and power of the Mogu.

Last edited by Stormcaller; 08-07-2013 at 09:40 AM..
Old 08-07-2013, 10:24 AM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Cool designs, cool powers, nice history, but they were waaaaaay two dimensional in the personality department.
The mogu as a race are not two-dimensional. However, every mogu character is. Most of the "clans" were interchangeable as well.

They had a well fleshed out backstory. It had ambiguity that was resolved with minimal plot holes (but hey, it is WoW), which was nice. I put them in with the vrykul and arakkoa in this regard, but unlike those races, there was only ever one mogu faction.

There was room for "friendly" mogu, or more mogu politics, but they had their role as straight villians in the story. They never learned to swallow their pride either. Eh. Expect some to join the next multi-race evil group later.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 08-07-2013, 10:47 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
They had a dimension?

A beloved archetype of modern era!" - Kir the Gul'dan
Old 08-07-2013, 11:04 AM

Elune

The mogu were essentially carried by the gloriousness that is Lei Shen... and I don't mind at all. I honestly rather liked the mogu. Them being same-minded never was that much of an issue to me, as their actions did fit with their original role as constructs. I would have liked the clans to be slightly more diverse, but it was still a lot better than most of the other races got.

Ultimate verdict: Mogu were great, but could have been greater. I look forward to seeing what happens to them (if they ever get mentioned again *cough* arrakoa *cough*).
Old 08-07-2013, 11:14 AM

The Sun King

The mogu had little reasons to be anything but tyranic 'better-than-thou' conquerors.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:34 AM

Eternal

It's pretty interesting to look at how different the Mogu are from other Titan creations that eventually went fleshy. The Vrykul don't seem to retain many of their titanic qualities. The Tol'vir seem perfectly content to keep doing their jobs even without direction. The dwarves are much more advanced, given how much they've splintered off into different cultures.

The question I'm left with is this: if all of the titan constructs were built to serve singular purposes, why all the different models? If you're going to have Vrykul and Mogu as larger models than Earthen and Mechagnomes, why continue supporting the other models?

(Clearly the answer is "the art team was bored" but hey, people ask silly lore questions all the time.)

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:47 AM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
It's pretty interesting to look at how different the Mogu are from other Titan creations that eventually went fleshy. The Vrykul don't seem to retain many of their titanic qualities. The Tol'vir seem perfectly content to keep doing their jobs even without direction. The dwarves are much more advanced, given how much they've splintered off into different cultures.

The question I'm left with is this: if all of the titan constructs were built to serve singular purposes, why all the different models? If you're going to have Vrykul and Mogu as larger models than Earthen and Mechagnomes, why continue supporting the other models?

(Clearly the answer is "the art team was bored" but hey, people ask silly lore questions all the time.)
I still believe that the Vrykul were fleshlings from the get-go. There was numerous Kings before Ymiron who was the one stating that the Gods (the Titans) had forsaken them. it would also explain why the Curse of Flesh turned the Vrykul into humans. If they were simply former Titan stone-creatures, I fail to see why the Vrykul would have been the only ones to gave birth to weakened children when the Mogu, Dwarves and Gnomes obviously didn't suffered from this.

If I had to make a guess (and that's my headcanon, by the way), the Vrykul were a test from the Titans to see how the cultures of flesh creatures evolve, and to see if they were more easily corrupted than their creatures made of stone.
Old 08-07-2013, 11:53 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post

I think the art team was bored is a perfectly viable answer. However, I'm not referring to the blizzard art team. I am referring to the titan ones.

Just hope that no titan ever discovered dada...
Old 08-07-2013, 12:00 PM

World Builder

Runes

Vrykul* : Combat?

Earthen: Build / Shape earth

Mechagnomes: Ignoring how it's dumb for them to be named MECHA gnomes before Gnomes existed... tech stuff obv.

Tol'vir: Maintenance? Not really clear.

(General) Giants: Overseeing? Enforcers? Bigger but less precise shaping? Heavy combat?

Mogu: Combat? Guards? "Jack of all trades"?

*(assuming they had a stone variant and weren't always flesh)

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
Assuming they had a stone variant and weren't always flesh.
There are stone vrykul, according to the novels.

Rearding the mechagnomes, maybe we've never been told their real name.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:04 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
There are stone vrykul, according to the novels.

Rearding the mechagnomes, maybe we've never been told their real name.
I don't consider Cairne all that knowledgeable about Vrykul, plus Christie might've just assumed.

My Worldbuilding:
Old 08-07-2013, 12:06 PM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
There are stone vrykul, according to the novels
Which one ? I don't remember it in The Shattering.

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
The mogu had little reasons to be anything but tyranic 'better-than-thou' conquerors.
This
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.

Quote:
I don't consider Cairne all that knowledgeable about Vrykul, plus Christie might've just assumed.
Could be, but I think Sean confirmed this fact. I'm not going to look through all his tweets, so I can't prove it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Korath View Post
Which one ? I don't remember it in The Shattering.
Shattering page 17.

Last edited by Nazja; 08-07-2013 at 12:10 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 12:07 PM

Elune

I'd say:

Vrykul: runecrafting

Earthen: construction and maintenance of facilities

Mountain and sea giants: large-scale shaping

Stone and storm giants: containment of old god forces

Mogu: protection of the vale of eternal blossoms.

Mechagnomes, tol'vir, frost vrykul, frost giants, likely others: Agents of the watchers.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM

Hon hon hon

Quote:
Could be, but I think Sean confirmed this fact. I'm not going to look through all his tweets, so I can't prove it.
Send him another tweet, it would be easier.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:08 PM

The Digger

I actually jotted down a quick and dirty headcanon of the titanic races' purposes a while back:

Quote:
Earthen: Builders and diggers, dredged out the deep places of the world (presumably to make room for titanic facilities) and helped form the continents.

Stone giants: Similar in function to the earthen, just bigger. The heavy-duty construction equipment in the titansí toolbox. They also seem to fulfill a defensive function, fighting against threats to the planet as a whole.

Sea giants: Performed the same duties as stone giants, but underwater.

Mechagnomes: Assisted Mimiron in maintaining the Ulduar facilities and records.

Tolívir: The mechagnomes of the south, they maintained and preserved the Uldum facilities and the knowledge contained therein.

Mogu: Functioned as soldiers and shapers of earth under the direction of the watcher Ra-den in what is now known as Pandaria.

Vrykul: No known canon purpose. However, their seemingly uniform predisposition towards aggression and combat suggests that perhaps they were created as foot soldiers in the war against the Old Gods. They are notable for being flesh constructs. Perhaps the Titans hoped that designing the vrykul as creatures of flesh from the get-go would make them resistant to the curse that had claimed so many other titan creations.

Storm giants: No known canon purpose. They are also notable for their belligerence, and for their being flesh. Perhaps they were created to serve as powerful units within the largely vrykul armies of the Titans?

Ice giants: No known canon purpose. They are also highly militant constructs. The presence of vrykul that have specifically acclimated themselves to the frosty conditions of the Storm Peaks where the ice giants reside suggests that the two may simply be a variant of the vrykul and storm giant army specialized for cold weather.

Fire giants: No known canon purpose. Their affinity for forging suggests they may have been designed to create the enormous metal components that comprise the Ulduar facility. Possibly also created to forge weapons for other titan constructs.
Old 08-07-2013, 12:09 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
It was clumsy confirmation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volkrin View Post
I actually jotted down a quick and dirty headcanon of the titanic races' purposes a while back:
I list my guesses at my titanic fan fiction page. Needs MoP updates.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 08-07-2013 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-07-2013, 12:15 PM

Elune

I love how everyone here is completely ignoring the Deepholm semi-retcon of troggs being separate creations
Old 08-07-2013, 12:19 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
I love how everyone here is completely ignoring the Deepholm semi-retcon of troggs being separate creations
Blizzard has gone back and fourth on the issue.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Quote:
Ten.

Years.

Tags
characterization, mists of pandaria, mogu