Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

View Poll Results: High King of the Alliance
Bad Idea 38 30.16%
Worst Idea 48 38.10%
'Good' Idea 40 31.75%
Voters: 126. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 PM

Elune

Default High King Varian Wrynn

Just reposting this here as well. Had it up over on the SF

http://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphoto...29134321_o.jpg

From WoW's facebook page.

Title? High King of the Alliance.

"The Alliance still stands, and so does it's king. As the war with the Horde heats up, Varian Wrynns leadership will face unprecedented tests, but none will compare to the battlefield that will soon erupt in Pandaria. King Wrynn will call on champions of the Alliance to secure this land...and save something of great value to him"

So, the Alliance is being treated as one government state. Which implies Darnassus and Ironforge are no long their own kingdoms, just their own principalities. Demoting Tyrande and the Council of Three Hammers to essentially Governors.

Unless of course someone wants to try and debate that "King of the Alliance" means something else.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:40 PM

Elune

Ferlion SMASH
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pajamasalad View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderbraid View Post
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:41 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Ferlion SMASH
Old 09-20-2012, 11:45 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

Lololololol... Yeah, Warcraft lore is terrible now.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:47 PM

Elune

Title is "High King", this is exactly the same title we've heard since Blizzcon. I don't see anything new here? We still don't know what that means in regards to governing bodies.

For all we know the SAC just got a name change.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.

Last edited by Reignac; 09-21-2012 at 12:26 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 11:48 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reignac View Post
Title is "High King", this is exactly the same title we've heard since Blizzcon. I don't see anything new here? We still don't know what that means in regards to governing bodies.

For all we know the SAC just got a name change.
It says he's the King of the Alliance. That IS new.

Instead of the High King just being a title, he's now officially the King of the Alliance. It's leader.

It's beyond S.A.C.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:50 PM

The Digger

Yeah, if they insist on pushing that I'm pretty much gonna stop caring about the Alliance. The faction I bought into was a number of independent and diverse states banded together for defense against a common threat, and if they're committed to scrapping all that in favor of turning it into Varian and his mostly unimportant friends I'm out. If it's just a hoity-toit way of saying SAC I can live with that, if begrudgingly, but the day I hear a member of the Council of Three hammers refer to Varian as "My King" is gonna be the day I give up.

Last edited by Volkrin; 09-21-2012 at 12:22 AM..
Old 09-20-2012, 11:57 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Let the record state that I tried to avert this.
Old 09-20-2012, 11:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Thanks for the efforts at least. You couldn't due much about it, so no reason for anyone to be upset at you on the matter.

I just wish they had listened. I honestly don't think I've seen a single person FOR the High King role. Certainly many who said they would wait and see what High King entailed, but... actually for the concept?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM

Arch-Druid

It's alot easier writing mirror image factions than creating interesting and different lore for the two.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:01 AM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

It's sad but true that making Varian the "high king" would make the Alliance easier to write. It's the lazy way out.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:03 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Lets just hope its temporary... I was hoping him becoming High King during the war would simply mean he would be leading each factions armies against the Horde.

Run
Old 09-21-2012, 12:05 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
It's sad but true that making Varian the "high king" would make the Alliance easier to write. It's the lazy way out.
Someone is going to come along and make a detailed post about how in a few years we'll have the Siege of Stormwind when Varian gets drunk on power. Tyrande or Malfurion will promise to be the one to put the arrow/wrathbolt into him.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:06 AM

Elune

I like him being High King because it gives the Alliance some damn unity, will make a repeat of Alterac or Gilneas much more unlikely, and might make it clearer what happens when an Alliance member state is destroyed.
"Noble countrymen, evil is upon us. Darkness has befallen our shores. Rise and slay thy enemies� strike, strike so others shall live. The meek shall not fade into the night� live my brethren, live." - King Terenas Menethil II
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:07 AM

Loremaster

For me High King just doesn't have the sort of "kick" Supreme Alliance Commander does.

The SAC's rank and title imply towering authority and martial power. High King keeps bringing me back to Narnia, where Peter was High King pretty much because he and his siblings all became kigns and queens and he happened to be the oldest. It just feels like an arbitrary uptick in rank to grant more prominence to the humans, suggesting that while dwarves and gnomes have had kings, Stormwind has a High King, and that's just plain better than a normal king.

Are we going to have Anduin named Grand Priest of Elune and Overprophet of the Holy Light to knock Tyrande and Velen down to "less important than their human equivalent" status?

Or, perhaps more nauseating still, can we expect to learn Elune's a Naaru as a means to functionally lump the night elves' faith with that of the draenei in preparation for the Church of the Holy Light to basically subsume both and make even the spiritual facets of the other Alliance races' cultures subservient to human leadership?
Old 09-21-2012, 12:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
I like him being High King because it gives the Alliance some damn unity, will make a repeat of Alterac or Gilneas much more unlikely, and might make it clearer what happens when an Alliance member state is destroyed.
Well, ok. There's one who likes it.

Quote:
For me High King just doesn't have the sort of "kick" Supreme Alliance Commander does.

The SAC's rank and title imply towering authority and martial power. High King keeps bringing me back to Narnia, where Peter was High King pretty much because he and his siblings all became kigns and queens and he happened to be the oldest. It just feels like an arbitrary uptick in rank to grant more prominence to the humans, suggesting that while dwarves and gnomes have had kings, Stormwind has a High King, and that's just plain better than a normal king.

Are we going to have Anduin named Grand Priest of Elune and Overprophet of the Holy Light to knock Tyrande and Velen down to "less important than their human equivalent" status?

Or, perhaps more nauseating still, can we expect to learn Elune's a Naaru as a means to functionally lump the night elves' faith with that of the draenei in preparation for the Church of the Holy Light to basically subsume both and make even the spiritual facets of the other Alliance races' cultures subservient to human leadership?
I guess we are going to see. I don't doubt it.

This is a pretty major blow to the other races being relevant
Old 09-21-2012, 12:22 AM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

More people would be OK with this if he were black. Or gay.

But since he's stereotypically white and heterosexual (not to mention probably Republican), of course everyone hates him, and the notion that he's the man in charge.

Give the same title to Tyrande, and everyone applauds Blizz for being progressive...
Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolvar View Post

But since he's stereotypically white and heterosexual (not to mention probably Republican), of course everyone hates him, and the notion that he's the man in charge.

Give the same title to Tyrande, and everyone applauds Blizz for being progressive...
Ahh, bolvar.

Always good for a laugh.

On the off chance you are serious, your wrong.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:27 AM

Elune

Varian would be a democrat considering how he's fine with his son being gay.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Quote:
You are right Fojar.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:28 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferlion View Post
It says he's the King of the Alliance. That IS new.

Instead of the High King just being a title, he's now officially the King of the Alliance. It's leader.

It's beyond S.A.C.
I missed that.

Well son of a bitch.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:29 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:

I..just...uh..

Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 AM

Ranger
BattleTag: Sayomara#1618

Quote:
Considering there have been hints of this since the Wolfheart book and Blizzcon, It seems this has been in the works for a long time.

My thought on this matter If Varian is High King of the Alliance does that mean the Stormwind needs a new "low" King represent the interests of Humans?

Because if Anduin were to become King while his Father is High King it would allow Blizzard to move the Anduin story forward without having to kill this father. It would also open up some new conflict between Varian and Anduin which is more than father-son angst.

Because at the end of the day interests of humans and the interests of the Alliance are not always the same thing.
My Everything Podcast: Far Afield
Old 09-21-2012, 12:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:

He's not a Republican, dude.

He's clearly a Whig head.

Beyond this, do you honestly think that Varian should even up there in the leadership scale considering how he didn't even know he was in a war with the Horde despite, you know, fighting Garrosh?

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:55 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Crossed Swords (War2)

He's obviously a royalist. C'mon guys.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:57 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Millenia#1386

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
He's obviously a royalist. C'mon guys.
Loses scuffles like one, too!

The Alliance's three rules on faction conflict:
1) You can't win.
2) You can't break even.
3) You can't leave the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mustrum View Post
Because if a storyteller is doing his job, he makes you care. And if that storyteller then says "I dunno, then they stopped fighting, I guess," without any explanation or clarification, his audience has every right to be pissed off. Because they were given reason to stay interested, reason to keep up with his tale, only to be shut down just as things were getting good. A waste of time, a waste of emotional tension, a waste, if you fail to grasp the significance of narrative, of money.