Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 09-26-2010, 12:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Default World of Raids going to be taken offline

http://www.worldofraids.com/topic/17...uture-of-wor/?

It sucks hard. I don't like MMO-Champion's "way" of writing the news articles, and I always preferred WoR.

If something they should become a single entity, with a new name, and with shared staff. Something like MMO-Raider, for example.

Let's see if Leviathon is able to give more insight about this. I'm sad .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 09-26-2010, 01:13 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

In the end it's all about money to Curse. I kinda knew this was going to happen eventually from when I was first told about MMO-C being bought. It's too bad really since WoR covered a completely different area than MMO-C a lot of times and posted more than 'lol Code Name Bubbles Patch' followed by datamined information. It annoys me seeing a site even older than MMO-C just vanish like this but there's nothing that can be done about it. Hell I feel bad for Kevin (Kody) after he spent 2 years of his life doing the shit he did just to have a higher up to tear it down like that. And the MMO-C forums are like the cesspool of the WoW community just like the live forums.

Last edited by Leviathon; 09-26-2010 at 01:16 PM..
Old 09-26-2010, 03:02 PM

(╯�□�)╯︵ ┻━┻
Get Off My Lawn!

I never read WoR, but after taking a look around, I can see why they consolidated it.

It's not that unique from MMO-Champion. While I like the layout of WoR better, MMOC has a much larger audience at this point, and it doesn't make sense if you own both properties to compete with yourself.

It's business. It sucks, but there it is.

More fansites will emerge in the wake of this.

... and then of course they will merge, consolidate, be bought out by large corporate interests, et cetera.

"It's the ciiiiirrrcllleee of liiifffeeee!"
Old 09-26-2010, 03:38 PM

Eternal

meh this sucks so much
I visit both mmo-champions (for the datamined stuff and new models etc) and world of raids (I think WoR looks much better than mmo-champion plus has in general better written articles etc)
I will really miss WoR and it seems like everything is being bought atm even people on youtube that makes good videos like wowcrendor, totalhalibut also gets bought
Old 09-27-2010, 05:11 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
In the end it's all about money to Curse. I kinda knew this was going to happen eventually from when I was first told about MMO-C being bought. It's too bad really since WoR covered a completely different area than MMO-C a lot of times and posted more than 'lol Code Name Bubbles Patch' followed by datamined information. It annoys me seeing a site even older than MMO-C just vanish like this but there's nothing that can be done about it. Hell I feel bad for Kevin (Kody) after he spent 2 years of his life doing the shit he did just to have a higher up to tear it down like that. And the MMO-C forums are like the cesspool of the WoW community just like the live forums.
Doesn't he have any plan to resurrect the website somewhere else? Couldn't he try to recover the website control somehow?

Medievaldragon had something similar with Incgamers. He didn't explain the details, but I interpret he was "fired", and anyway, managed to keep control of the web.

I don't want WoR to disappear . MMO-C is worth only for the leaks, everything else sucks hard. Very hard.

Edit: let's check what remains aside from WoR and MMO-C:

-WoWInsider: the "professional" WoW fansite, that became WoW.com and now is joystiq.wow.com or something like that.

-WoW.incgamers: I don't remember their original name, but anyway, I don't read them too much lately, they simply don't have interesting updates, and are boring to read.

And, seriously, I don't know of any other website dedicated to WoW gameplay. There's WoWHead and co., but their news-section is more a blog than a website.

Shit .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 09-27-2010 at 05:17 AM..
Old 09-29-2010, 04:37 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Leviathonlx#1820

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Doesn't he have any plan to resurrect the website somewhere else? Couldn't he try to recover the website control somehow?

Medievaldragon had something similar with Incgamers. He didn't explain the details, but I interpret he was "fired", and anyway, managed to keep control of the web.

I don't want WoR to disappear . MMO-C is worth only for the leaks, everything else sucks hard. Very hard.

Edit: let's check what remains aside from WoR and MMO-C:

-WoWInsider: the "professional" WoW fansite, that became WoW.com and now is joystiq.wow.com or something like that.

-WoW.incgamers: I don't remember their original name, but anyway, I don't read them too much lately, they simply don't have interesting updates, and are boring to read.

And, seriously, I don't know of any other website dedicated to WoW gameplay. There's WoWHead and co., but their news-section is more a blog than a website.

Shit .
Kody is bound by a non compete agreement for 1 year after he leaves (if he leaves). He isn't getting fired but he is definitly not being treated well by them. Anyway MMO-C gets its redesign on October 1st so at least it will look a little less ugly.
Old 09-29-2010, 05:32 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
Kody is bound by a non compete agreement for 1 year after he leaves (if he leaves). He isn't getting fired but he is definitly not being treated well by them. Anyway MMO-C gets its redesign on October 1st so at least it will look a little less ugly.
What exactly does the agreement entail? If it's just "don't manage a website in competition," that's one thing, but if it's "don't professionally associate yourself with any WoW website," that's a whole nother ball game.

If the first, he could just come onto other projects as a "consultant," and help make another site great.

As it is I only go on MMO-C for the barebones notes while WoR was (is) my go to site for actual analysis or interesting articles. If he can "steer" another fansite back into the market that actually provides something (as opposed to wow.com's generic recycled articles) I'm sure he'll find at least a modicum of success. Hell, I'd be willing to help do that if simply because I hate bad journalism (even if it is something as evil as entertainment journalism).

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 09-30-2010, 04:06 AM

Elune

Yeah, I'm with Cantus. WoR is my favorite WoW-reading site. I don't go beyond MMO-C's main page, and I just visit it to know about leaks. WoW.com is too generic, and i only visit it when I'm bored, but WoR is my best choice for reading with Blizzplanet, since you guys are the ones that really work over your articles, and that's what I like.

I hope Kody is able to "return" somehow. I guess WoR was bought by Curse, so he can't use that domain anymore, but I wonder what will happen with all the content over at the site, will it simply get deleted?

That's awful as hell.