Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 05-24-2009, 02:19 AM

Ranger

Hello again.

Was Hakkar Old God related? I mean, WoWwiki says he could BE an Old God, but I'm certain thats BS.
Old 05-24-2009, 02:22 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

There no real indication Hakkar has anything to do with the Old Gods.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-24-2009, 06:02 AM

Eternal
BattleTag: Kalontas#2949

Just Brann's drunken speculation that he might be one, or a son of one. Considering it's not only speculation, but in-universe speculation, it might be one big bullshit.
Old 05-24-2009, 05:09 PM

Ethermancer - Admin
BattleTag: Cantus#1700

The whole reason the RPG people used that speculation (via Brann) was Hakkar is known as "the Faceless One." Not "a" mind you, but "the." As of right now, it's only a moniker and has nothing whatsoever to do with the Old Gods, as actual Faceless Ones are of a single species (or have a common mutation at least) that makes them far different from the feathered Loa.

Rationalizing the irrational since 2005.
Old 05-24-2009, 11:34 PM

Elune

The RPG made a habit of taking popular fan speculation and making it in-universe speculation, but it turns out to be something completely different. The other most notable occurrence of this I can think of is saying Teron Gorefiend might be in Karazhan.
Old 05-27-2009, 12:21 AM

Huntress

Why are there Wyverns on Draenor?
Old 05-27-2009, 02:02 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

If you are talking about before the 3rd war: Mindfuck.

If you're talking about after it: orcs brought them.

Also, I believe Krokul are Old God related! Krokul means Unbroken, and guess what... some faceless ones are called Unbroken, too!!

It's all a plot twist!!

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-27-2009, 06:27 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Garithos View Post
Why are there Wyverns on Draenor?
Where they Wyvernns on Draenor?
Xie wants YOU to check Wulfang brainchild RIGHT NOW. SO click on this text
Old 05-27-2009, 07:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Darkmoon Card: Twisting Nether

I think its in "Beyond the Dark Portal"^^
Old 05-27-2009, 08:00 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wabbajack View Post
I think its in "Beyond the Dark Portal"^^
Impossible.

Legends had a picture with a wyvern. That's just art and, well, we all know wyverns weren't there. But, if we're talking about a book, in which everything is text, canonical text...

It's just madness. No, there ain't wyverns at BtDP. If there were, I'm sure it would have his own rant-thread.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 05-27-2009, 09:20 AM

Elune

Yeah, the wyverns on Draenor thing comes from an art blunder in legends, not BtDP.
Old 05-27-2009, 10:42 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
If you are talking about before the 3rd war: Mindfuck.

If you're talking about after it: orcs brought them.

Also, I believe Krokul are Old God related! Krokul means Unbroken, and guess what... some faceless ones are called Unbroken, too!!

It's all a plot twist!!
Krokul means "Broken". "Unbroken" was the title of the short story.
Old 05-28-2009, 08:53 AM

Faerie Dragon

Default World Dragons

Hey Guys- I'm relatively new to WoW lore as I was never interested in anything but top tier content and PvP until recently when I realized the fantastical aspect of it is just as interesting as any fantasy fiction book I read.

ANYYWAYS- I was wondering what the lore behind the world dragons is? Obviously obsolete in game play today but I used to have fun hunting them with my old guilds at vanilla. My first guess/assumption is that they're green flight from the emerald "nightmare?"

Thanks
Old 05-28-2009, 03:24 PM

Eternal

Why do some Orcs still hunger for battle if they are no longer under the influence of the Blood Curse? Especially Orcs such as Garrosh and other Mag'har, who were never subject to it.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:28 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Why do some Orcs still hunger for battle if they are no longer under the influence of the Blood Curse? Especially Orcs such as Garrosh and other Mag'har, who were never subject to it.
Because perhaps the Blood curse just showed their inner beasts but they never truly were the nicest people to begin with. *Drum Roll*

Alot of the younger Orcs lived in the internment camps and thus the growing hate for the Humans & Alliance overall began, since they were treated like shit and they barely survived with the little food provided.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuBad View Post
Hey Guys- I'm relatively new to WoW lore as I was never interested in anything but top tier content and PvP until recently when I realized the fantastical aspect of it is just as interesting as any fantasy fiction book I read.

ANYYWAYS- I was wondering what the lore behind the world dragons is? Obviously obsolete in game play today but I used to have fun hunting them with my old guilds at vanilla. My first guess/assumption is that they're green flight from the emerald "nightmare?"

Thanks
Yeah, your first guess is the correct one. They are corrupted Green Dragons (along with Eranikus.)

Old 05-28-2009, 05:24 PM

Warden

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Because that is what orcs were about.Fighting.Even when they had no connection to Legion they would frequently fight among themselves over things.
Old 05-29-2009, 12:54 AM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
Because that is what orcs were about.Fighting.Even when they had no connection to Legion they would frequently fight among themselves over things.
Actually, Rise of the Horde implies that the orc tribes rarely fought, as they only met with one another twice a year. If anything, the orcs represent a stereotypical prehistorical society of humans.
Old 05-29-2009, 06:16 AM

Eternal

Is Hakkar in any way related to the Nightmare?

Quests and lore surroanding Sunken Temple says that it was Hakkars prescense that made the Dragons there go mad and descend into the Nightmare.
Old 05-29-2009, 10:52 AM

Ethermancer - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Is Hakkar in any way related to the Nightmare?

Quests and lore surroanding Sunken Temple says that it was Hakkars prescense that made the Dragons there go mad and descend into the Nightmare.
There is definitely a possibility that he is, however without knowing more about the Nightmare no one can say for certain.

Old 05-29-2009, 02:00 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
Completely wrong. As was already mentioned, the pre-Legion contact orcs were peaceful clans that rarely (if ever) fought against each other.
Old 05-29-2009, 02:05 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZuBad View Post
I was wondering what the lore behind the world dragons is? Obviously obsolete in game play today but I used to have fun hunting them with my old guilds at vanilla. My first guess/assumption is that they're green flight from the emerald "nightmare?"
The World Dragons in WoW are corrupted members of Ysera's Green Dragonflight. The Emerald Dream is Ysera's domain, and the Nightmare has/is corrupting it. Basically, those dragons went insane because of the Nightmare.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Thank goodness Golden handled Rise of the Horde, or it might have started with the tale of the Eredar leaders Archie and Jay being seduced by the power of the Dark Titan Gary while their close friend Lenny fled Argus to escape the corruption.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:42 PM

Eternal

Uhm I can imagine that there might be some swamp region in the Emerald Dream... Wispmire.
And that perhaps some At'ali priests managed to come into the Emerald Dream for some reason.

I doubt very much that the Nightmare dragonflight/Old Gods will be the only bad guys were fightning there. We didnt only fight the Scourge in WotLK.
Old 05-30-2009, 02:51 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
I doubt very much that the Nightmare dragonflight/Old Gods will be the only bad guys were fightning there. We didnt only fight the Scourge in WotLK.
Yeah, in fact we practically stop fighting them by the time we get to Icecrown. If the Scourge and Legion are any indication, the Emerald Nightmare and its minions will probably be made into pushovers who just lay back and take what we throw at them without a fight by the time we get to actually face them.
Old 06-01-2009, 07:42 AM

Faerie Dragon

Hey- so since I've started reading the books- I have had much source of confusion formed by location..

In DotD- Rhonin and co. start from Dalaran to go to Khaz Modan.. but for some reason they are sailing and shit? This confuses the hell out of me- as there isn't really a whole lot of water between these two destinations- And where exactly is Grim Batol located? Would it be where blackrock is? or around there?

Tags
isn't taran zhu dead?, lore, newbie, where are illidans pants