Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 03-25-2015, 08:57 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
This BS about Kerrigan being the hope of the universe, Overmind being compelled against his will to do evil while secretly setting up the hope, etc. made it impossible for me to take Starcraft 2 seriously at all. I'd actually say that the current state of WoW lore is way better than that of Starcraft lore, and that's saying A LOT. The Warcraft equivalent of this lore-raping, which in the context actually would make a lot more sense, would be something like Ner'zhul acting against his will due to Kil'jaden, but sacrificing himself to set up Arthas the One Hope of the Galaxy as the Lich King so that Arthas can defeat the Burning Legion and save the world. Wait, did that sound too reasonable? The best part is, Arthas becomes Human again, re-enters a romantic relationship with Jaina, and then becomes Undead again! WoW lore has long gone down the shithole but it hasn't quite reached this level of stupidity.
Yeah, that Overmind scene was stupid.

Though Tassadar's ghost does not phrase it that way, at least in his tone, it is fairly reasonable to assume that the Overmind was not saving the galaxy, it was saving the zerg. We see the hybrids devour them a short while later.

It would be like if Arthas became good again, then made himself undead again to use the Scourge to kill the Burning Legion, because Ner'zhul set it up that way because he cared for the undead.

The ending of HotS was changed a bit to make the Warcraft thematic parallels less ridiculous. In the rough draft, the zerg were like the orcs, freed from evil to find their own path... of eating everything. Now Kerrigan had them make a beeline for Amon.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:02 PM

Banished
BattleTag: Hulk#2393

kerrigan never turned to zerg. she turned to primal zerg.. difference being stuff that is in heart of the swarm.
Old 03-25-2015, 09:55 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurzog View Post
kerrigan never turned to zerg. she turned to primal zerg.. difference being stuff that is in heart of the swarm.
She never completly stopped being a zerg. Look at her hair. She added her full zerg self back with primal essence to have her commands (and everything else) free of Amon's influence.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 07-11-2015, 12:55 PM

Sentinel Queen
BattleTag: Loboan#2416

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siegrune View Post
This BS about Kerrigan being the hope of the universe, Overmind being compelled against his will to do evil while secretly setting up the hope, etc. made it impossible for me to take Starcraft 2 seriously at all. I'd actually say that the current state of WoW lore is way better than that of Starcraft lore, and that's saying A LOT. The Warcraft equivalent of this lore-raping, which in the context actually would make a lot more sense, would be something like Ner'zhul acting against his will due to Kil'jaden, but sacrificing himself to set up Arthas the One Hope of the Galaxy as the Lich King so that Arthas can defeat the Burning Legion and save the world. Wait, did that sound too reasonable? The best part is, Arthas becomes Human again, re-enters a romantic relationship with Jaina, and then becomes Undead again! WoW lore has long gone down the shithole but it hasn't quite reached this level of stupidity.
Give it time Siegrune. It'll get there eventually.

Anyway, my estimation has always been that Blizz were planning on making Kerrigan go down during Starcraft II's storyline at some point but backed out at the end because they didn't have the stones to follow through with it. Maybe they just loved her too much to put a stopper on her fate or they were too frightened of pissing off her diehard fans. Either way, it was Sylvanas all over again and I absolutely despise how HotS bent over backwards to vindicate and validate her. If Mengsk lost his plot armour long enough to die, why didn't she? Do Blizzard not realise that letting her live because blah blah Amon blah blah utterly cheapens her killing of Fenix, Raszagal et al because we can't avenge all the people she killed just to prove how much of a bitch she was and how much we couldn't stop her?

If I ever write a SC fanfic, it'll be to drag SCII away from all the clichés and ensure that justice is, in fact, done. No robbing of agency, no awkwardly bending over backwards to save the bad guys you like too much to kill off.

Tags
starcraft