Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 04-01-2014, 07:49 PM

Echo of the Past

Default I went back and read the Starcraft 1 Terran backstory...

...and at no point did it tell me why they all had American South accents, or why they formed "the Confederacy" with an actual Confederate States of America flag and city names such as "New Gettysburg".

Were the colonial prison-ships made up of Southern-born Civil War buffs?

Old 04-01-2014, 08:04 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
...and at no point did it tell me why they all had American South accents, or why they formed "the Confederacy" with an actual Confederate States of America flag and city names such as "New Gettysburg".

The colony ships were filled with Earth's human refuse. The south has the world's highest concentration of human trash (right next to Russia).
Old 04-01-2014, 08:19 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Surprised black people (and others) lived for so long.

But nah I like the diversity, and the Confederacy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Old 04-01-2014, 08:38 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Quote:

My knowledge of SC lore is hazy at best, but the Confederacy was more or less controlled by a number of oligarchic families. It could be that a few of them happened to have backgrounds in the American South.

Though one wonders why they'd name a planet after a major battle that the Confederacy lost. Maybe New Fredericksburg would have been more appropriate?

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-01-2014, 08:51 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
The colony ships were filled with Earth's human refuse. The south has the world's highest concentration of human trash (right next to Russia).
. . .

So you're telling me that in the expansion pack, the second-highest concentration of human trash has taken over Earth?
Old 04-01-2014, 09:24 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Well, what the UPL considered Earth's human refuse anyway. It used the excuse of Project Purification to get rid of lots of "inconvenient" people along with the actual criminals and the ones it touted as threats to humanity's purity, after all.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Confederate ruling families were politically affluent families or government parties on Earth who "lost" various political struggles to other government leaders and got sentenced to death for it.

Plus Umoja's ship strikes me as having probably been packed with political dissidents who resisted the UPL's inhumane policies, which could have informed their wariness about the authoritarian Confederacy and Dominion and left them as freer thinkers (thus their willingness to embrace the prospect of learning from the Protoss rather than reflexively adopting an adversarial stance toward anything non-human as the Dominion and UPL/UED have.)

Kelanis and Moria strike me as having been colonized by ships full of "regular" criminals (the hackers and tech-pirates mentioned in the historical accounting) and corporate prisoners; the UPL basically outlawed genetic modification, cybernetic enhancement and psychoactive drugs as fundamental debasements of humanity's purity, so they probably locked up everyone ever involved in selling and distributing such goods and services. So they ended up being a pair of ultra-capitalist colonies, operated directly by economically driven guilds for the pursuit of profit.

I may be over-analyzing it, but the direction the various colonies took in their development raises the possibility that whether deliberately or due to the UPL having organized them so, Doran Routhe might have ended up segregating a different majority of certain types of prisoners onto each respective ship.

Last edited by ARM3481; 04-01-2014 at 09:26 PM..
Old 04-01-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
. . .

So you're telling me that in the expansion pack, the second-highest concentration of human trash has taken over Earth?
Alexei Stukov
Old 04-02-2014, 01:46 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
Well, what the UPL considered Earth's human refuse anyway. It used the excuse of Project Purification to get rid of lots of "inconvenient" people along with the actual criminals and the ones it touted as threats to humanity's purity, after all.

In fact, it wouldn't surprise me if the Confederate ruling families were politically affluent families or government parties on Earth who "lost" various political struggles to other government leaders and got sentenced to death for it.

Plus Umoja's ship strikes me as having probably been packed with political dissidents who resisted the UPL's inhumane policies, which could have informed their wariness about the authoritarian Confederacy and Dominion and left them as freer thinkers (thus their willingness to embrace the prospect of learning from the Protoss rather than reflexively adopting an adversarial stance toward anything non-human as the Dominion and UPL/UED have.)

Kelanis and Moria strike me as having been colonized by ships full of "regular" criminals (the hackers and tech-pirates mentioned in the historical accounting) and corporate prisoners; the UPL basically outlawed genetic modification, cybernetic enhancement and psychoactive drugs as fundamental debasements of humanity's purity, so they probably locked up everyone ever involved in selling and distributing such goods and services. So they ended up being a pair of ultra-capitalist colonies, operated directly by economically driven guilds for the pursuit of profit.

I may be over-analyzing it, but the direction the various colonies took in their development raises the possibility that whether deliberately or due to the UPL having organized them so, Doran Routhe might have ended up segregating a different majority of certain types of prisoners onto each respective ship.
That's pretty much how my head-canon always went.

It's still odd they used the actual CSA Battle-Jack as the flag, but eh. Personally I liked the Good Old Boy accents, but I've always liked that accent anyway so I'm kinda biased.
Old 04-02-2014, 04:17 AM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Northern urbanites should venture outside of their cities and meet the trash at their own gates before condescending southerners.
Old 04-03-2014, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Northern urbanites should venture outside of their cities and meet the trash at their own gates before condescending southerners.
No thanks. We built New Jersey as a buffer state for that very reason.
Old 04-03-2014, 04:09 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
No thanks. We built New Jersey as a buffer state for that very reason.
You do know there is a New York outside of New York City and that isn't called New Jersey? Upstate New York?
Old 04-03-2014, 04:23 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:

They looked into the databases of ATLAS and found it fitting. I know that is mentioned somewhere. Liberty's Crusade or one of the StarCraft Legacy interviews.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerbrew View Post
That's pretty much how my head-canon always went.

It's still odd they used the actual CSA Battle-Jack as the flag, but eh. Personally I liked the Good Old Boy accents, but I've always liked that accent anyway so I'm kinda biased.
My "headcanon" is that besides the Nagglfar having ATLAS, the Argo had mining equipment, and the Sarengo and the Reagan gave Umoja double the supplies, the lack of scarcity allowing them to support a more peacefulish mentality.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 04-03-2014 at 04:34 PM..
Old 04-03-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
You do know there is a New York outside of New York City and that isn't called New Jersey? Upstate New York?
You mean Westchester?
Old 04-03-2014, 05:53 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
They looked into the databases of ATLAS and found it fitting. I know that is mentioned somewhere. Liberty's Crusade or one of the StarCraft Legacy interviews.
Did they ever say why they found it fitting? Seems a bit of a stretch, since they were kicked out (as opposed to actively rebelling). I guess choosing a rebel movement's flag might have been a good way of giving the middle finger at the UPL.

One also wonders why they didn't pick a successful rebellion. Granted, giving the Terran Confederacy a US, Mexican, or Chinese flag or something might have been problematic for sales.

"He came to Ahn'qiraj for the strife... instead, he found a wife! She's my qiraji love-bride, next on Sick Sad World of Warcraft!"
Old 04-03-2014, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HlaaluStyle View Post
Did they ever say why they found it fitting? Seems a bit of a stretch, since they were kicked out (as opposed to actively rebelling). I guess choosing a rebel movement's flag might have been a good way of giving the middle finger at the UPL.

One also wonders why they didn't pick a successful rebellion. Granted, giving the Terran Confederacy a US, Mexican, or Chinese flag or something might have been problematic for sales.
I'd have loved to see a bunch of Space-Southerners marching under Le Tricolour, myself.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:27 PM

Eternal
BattleTag: Crazyterran#1213

Quote:

I just noticed that your avatar is Blair from Wing Commander 1/2.

I kind of miss some of the stuff out of Starcraft 1; I need to go find the old manual...
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-03-2014, 07:28 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Venom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazyterran View Post

I kind of miss some of the stuff out of Starcraft 1; I need to go find the old manual...
Here it is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 04-03-2014, 07:29 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
Excellent.
So many deluded people think their rotting Waifuchief cares for them and their faction, when every scrap of internalized narrative has made it clear for years that to Sylvanas, the entirety of the Horde - including her own people - is nothing more than a shitton of bodies to stack between herself and her final death.

And all it takes is a tactically calculated "for the Horde" rallying the troops to make them all think "OMG she really does care!"
Old 04-03-2014, 08:21 PM

Elune

Quote:

I'm just glad someone recognized Blair. He's a hero of the Kilrathi War, dammit!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
I'm just glad someone recognized Blair. He's a hero of the Kilrathi War, dammit!
Mark Hamill blew up a Death Star, redeemed Darth Vader, brought down the Kilrathi and Admiral Tolwyn!

Old 04-03-2014, 09:33 PM

Elune

Quote:
Mark Hamill blew up a Death Star, redeemed Darth Vader, brought down the Kilrathi and Admiral Tolwyn!
Damn straight! Man, I remember back when there were all kinds of space shooters. Then they disappeared.

Personally, I blame MTV.

And the fact that a lot of the space shooters were really similar to one another. And they required expensive peripheries that genres like FPS games didn't.

But mostly MTV.

Old 04-03-2014, 10:41 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Damn straight! Man, I remember back when there were all kinds of space shooters. Then they disappeared.

Personally, I blame MTV.

And the fact that a lot of the space shooters were really similar to one another. And they required expensive peripheries that genres like FPS games didn't.

But mostly MTV.
I still have my old Wingman joystick.

The good old days...

Old 04-10-2014, 04:54 AM

Arch-Druid

@Space Shooters: I would rather blame EVE Online.^^

But another UED return to SC would be interesting, specially want happend in the Sol Sector during the past centuries.

Tags
lore, starcraft