Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Blizzard Discussion > StarCraft Discussion

Old 07-13-2012, 07:36 AM

Echo of the Past

Alliance Flag StarCraft Risk

http://www.gameshampoo.com/magazine/...ce=twitterfeed

Quote:
* Warcraft Risk will be coming in September with over 330 customizeable pieces.
I am buying this sucker. And I am going to wage war. Adapted Risk games, they always have way more original content than adapted Monopoly games. Other than the changed world map, standard fare for this kind of stuff is customized event cards and customized special rules (like Hero units in Lord of the Rings Risk or starfighters and a Light-Dark Side meter in the Star Wars Original Trilogy Risk). Practically guaranteed to have slight variations to the Alliance and Horde players, if not the races themselves.

You could probably invent customized setups, to simulate the various wars over the course of Warcraft's history---everything from the First War to the Illidan-Arthas conflict of Frozen Throne. And the default setting is probably going to be the current Alliance-Horde War.

I shall own this product. There shall be global war again.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 08-22-2013 at 05:54 PM..
Old 07-13-2012, 07:41 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Sigh...

Well... the good news is some of the risk variants over the last few years haven't been that bad. 2210 and Godstorm were both quite decent, Legacy (although theres nothing to transfer from it's concept) was a pretty wild experience, the LOTR edition wasn't great but atleast had some thematic traits.

I'm still apprehensive of this. But I can be happy that it's not a shallow version of Monopoly. Risk fits the franchise better in some ways... although there are considerably better games to tack the theme onto.
Old 07-13-2012, 07:54 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
Sigh...

Well... the good news is some of the risk variants over the last few years haven't been that bad. 2210 and Godstorm were both quite decent, Legacy (although theres nothing to transfer from it's concept) was a pretty wild experience, the LOTR edition wasn't great but atleast had some thematic traits.

I'm still apprehensive of this. But I can be happy that it's not a shallow version of Monopoly. Risk fits the franchise better in some ways... although there are considerably better games to tack the theme onto.
Sonneillon, you know by now that I'm hoi polloi on this kind of stuff.

Are you familiar with Star Wars Original Trilogy Risk? For me, the best part of that is the working of the three factions: Imperial, Rebel, and "Hutt". The Imperial players win by destroying the Rebel players. The Rebel players win by capturing the "Emperor" token hiding in one of the fortresses. The Hutt player wins by controlling a certain number of "resource" planets. It's fun; it feels factionally specific. I doubt we'll have that in this version of Risk, but we might get something similar in terms of factional advantages. At least through the cards.

I suppose it would be hoping too much to expect an attachment for Outland, like they do for the Moon in Risk 2210. But one can dream.

EDIT: And the true beauty of this? A board map. A map. If the rules are too simple for you, you can adapt rules from the more enjoyable war games.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-13-2012 at 07:58 AM..
Old 07-13-2012, 08:33 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Risk has a justified nostalgia factor and many of it's core flaws come with the traditional edition. I don't mind this so much and admittedly I'm curious to see what sort of twists they throw on it. Hopefully they keep the play time down on this one, thats sort of a core feature these days. Unfortunately the two faction could make things unusual with a WoW Theme. They have at the least 5 to 6 player groups to fit in what is a 2 faction theme. I wonder if they will add in playable Scourge, Twilight's Hammer and the Legion to beef things up. I suppose they could break off the Nightelves from the Alliance and the Bloodelves/Forsaken from the Horde, but at that point Warcraft 3 would have been an easier port and period for this.

That being said, a WoW battleground based version of BattleLore would have been incredible.
Old 07-13-2012, 08:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Hm... I'm interested on this, though I suspect it will be all WoW-style, latest Cata/MoP style, which I don't like as much as the previous ones.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-13-2012, 08:46 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
Hm... I'm interested on this, though I suspect it will be all WoW-style, latest Cata/MoP style, which I don't like as much as the previous ones.
Are you talking about artwork? Card flavors?

Or do you mean the world map? Yeah, it does stink that they're probably going to use the recently-changed world map instead of the world that's existed for the bulk of Azeroth World's history. It might make things a little difficult for customized historical scenarios.

But the world's geography hasn't changed that much; it still has the basic semblance of the old map. So long as they add enough spaces in the Eastern Continent, I'll be able to recreate any of the early Orc-Human Wars... and that actually will probably be an easy way to customize a shorter gametime.

But with the post-Cataclysm world map? This is GUARANTEED to be the version of the Alliance-Horde War that looks most like a world war, instead of a handful of heroes going on quests while Jaina tries to get Thrall to discipline Garrosh.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-13-2012 at 08:49 AM..
Old 07-13-2012, 08:47 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

What the fuck are "330 customizable pieces." thats just... weird...

Infantry, cavalry, and artillery are the standard universal representation of units. There's only 300 pieces (among 5 players) in a standard modern version of the game. So it's safe to assume that the game is 5 players so there's 5 armies. That leaves 30 additional units representing... what 15? 20?

It does say "Warcraft" risk rather than WoW...

Customizable units is the really strange thing...
Old 07-13-2012, 08:51 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Customizable units is the really strange thing...
I'd bet money that it's supposed to say "customized units".

As in: "They look like Warcraft people instead of Napoleonic infantry."
Old 07-13-2012, 08:56 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Are you talking about artwork? Card flavors?

Or do you mean the world map? Yeah, it does stink that they're probably going to use the recently-changed world map instead of the world that's existed for the bulk of Azeroth World's history. It might make things a little difficult for customized historical scenarios.

But the world's geography hasn't changed that much; it still has the basic semblance of the old map. So long as they add enough spaces in the Eastern Continent, I'll be able to recreate any of the early Orc-Human Wars... and that actually will probably be an easy way to customize a shorter gametime.

But with the post-Cataclysm world map? This is GUARANTEED to be the version of the Alliance-Horde War that looks most like a world war, instead of a handful of heroes going on quests while Jaina tries to get Thrall to discipline Garrosh.
No, just the general style of units and everything. You know, metal buildings for orcs, Northrend buildings for humans... They're cool, but I prefer the classic ones, I like them more.

I would really love this if it was Second War themed or something, with just Eastern Kingdoms and Draenor. Less places and less races let you show them better. I can't wait to see how draenei and worgen aren't even mentioned or how all races are sidekicks to humans and orcs xDDD .

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 07-13-2012, 09:19 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
I would really love this if it was Second War themed or something, with just Eastern Kingdoms and Draenor.
Draenor/Outland would be nice (and again, there is precedent with the Moon expansion in 2210), and it's possible because that region is in WoW still, but it regardless feels like a pie-in-the-sky hope.

But we'll have to see the map. If the Eastern Kingdoms take up half of it, it might be easy to have scenarios ignoring the others for a Second War reenactment. And with the full world map, it should be easy enough to recreate the Scourge-Illidari/Forsaken-Dreadlord/Durotan-Kul Tiras simultaneous conflicts as well.

Quote:
Less places and less races let you show them better. I can't wait to see how draenei and worgen aren't even mentioned or how all races are sidekicks to humans and orcs xDDD .
My prediction? It probably will only be Alliance and Horde, but I wager there will be cards that give you abilities highlighting the races.

Example: "Dwarven Fortresses (play when Alliance player is defending): Defender gains +1 to all rolls in this territory for the duration of this turn." Something along those lines.

One piece of good news is that this game is coming out after Starcraft Risk. That means, hopefully, any racial-specific goodies can give them ideas for similar fare in this game. But yeah, if we want a permanent game changer for someone who says "I'm playing as Draenei" or "I'm playing as Tauren", that'll probably have to be customized.
Old 07-13-2012, 10:13 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Guys, that article is wrong. We're not publishing Warcraft risk.

We're publishing STARCRAFT risk. If you'd like I can rename and move the topic.

Are there no videos if the panel available?
Old 07-13-2012, 11:01 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post

We're publishing STARCRAFT risk. If you'd like I can rename and move the topic.

Are there no videos if the panel available?
That one website is pretty much the only source of information that I could find. All the other sites link to that one.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:37 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mshadowz View Post
That one website is pretty much the only source of information that I could find. All the other sites link to that one.
Well they're wrong. I'll ask Licensing and see if they got footage of the event.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:48 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:

We're publishing STARCRAFT risk.
Oh. Well, I knew about Starcraft Risk. I just thought... and then... oh well.

Quote:
If you'd like I can rename and move the topic.
Rename, move, lock, ignore, delete, whatever. Whatever works. It'll probably die on its own. Thanks for the clarification.

EDIT: Blizzard has until November to put PS1's Warcraft II: The Dark Saga on Playstation Network. After that, I'm buying it secondhand for a birthday, and they won't see a cent of it. Thinking there'd be a Warcraft Risk, struck my strategy game nostalgia nerves.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 07-13-2012 at 11:53 PM..
Old 07-14-2012, 03:28 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Well they're wrong. I'll ask Licensing and see if they got footage of the event.
Would be awesome. Heard in the other thread that Tyrande is going to get some love which makes me wonder what else we missed out on.
Old 07-19-2012, 06:06 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

I so want WarCraft Risk
Old 09-10-2012, 12:10 PM

Banished

I never understood how to play risk.
Old 09-10-2012, 12:33 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
You roll dice... if I roll higher than you I win. I just saved you 4 hours.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
How do you play this game anyway?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 09-11-2012, 06:35 PM

Elune
BattleTag: DAllicant#1203

Risk is for people who don't have the guts to play Diplomacy.
Old 09-12-2012, 12:55 PM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by destron View Post
Risk is for people who don't have the guts to play Diplomacy.
Stop by my thread: Warcraft II Diplomacy variant

Hmm, no Baradin Bay? That needs updating, maybe someday.
Old 09-16-2012, 01:30 AM

Banished

Default hello

Hasbro and Blizzard have struck a deal to produce a special World of Warcraft version of Monopoly, and StarCraft-themed RISK.

Last edited by handclaw; 09-16-2012 at 01:56 AM..
Old 09-16-2012, 01:37 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaisa001 View Post
Hasbro and Blizzard have struck a deal to produce a special World of Warcraft version of Monopoly, and StarCraft-themed RISK.
-_-
Old 07-04-2013, 10:24 AM

Echo of the Past

So did anyone ever buy this? I'm curious how the three factions would work.
Old 07-09-2013, 10:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
So did anyone ever buy this? I'm curious how the three factions would work.
Didn't buy it but, lings, marines and zealot are worth 1 unit. Lisks, tanks and stalkers are worth 3 units.
Quote:
1. Hero unit per faction, 6 in total, that add +1, -1 to dice rolls.
Quote:
5. Faction cards, one deck per race, have stars and abilities on them that allow for the choice of gaining reinforcements based on the total amount of stars, or using special abilities. Overall, each race has abilities that are identical in effect, but other stand out, for example Zerg can tunnel under a territory, Terran can transfer their base to another territory on the map, and Protoss are able to destroy units on a planet.

Tags
bored games, catastrophic market error, man i wanted warcraft, should've been warcraft, starcraft, warcraft would've sold