Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 07-01-2010, 02:52 PM

Warden

Default Medan will not be in cataclysm

Q: What role, if any, will Med'an play in Cataclysm?
A: Med'an will not be visible in Cataclysm; something else is keeping him occupied.

http://www.worldofraids.com/topic/17...swers-round-1/

This is from here.What do you think?
Old 07-01-2010, 04:35 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post
A: Med'an will not be visible in Cataclysm; something else is keeping him occupied.

And the people greatly rejoiced.... YAH!
Old 07-01-2010, 04:51 PM

Arch-Druid

I'm curious about what the "something else" is that's keeping him occupied, personally. Cataclysm seems to be bringing out just about every still living Warcraft big bad besides the Burning Legion.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:46 PM

Elune

It seems like a blow off, like they have no idea what they’re going to do with him yet. The “something else” is probably nothing at the moment. Just like how Jarod as doing “something else” for 10,000 years.
Old 07-01-2010, 07:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenkiss View Post

I think that is on the official webpage too...
Old 07-01-2010, 07:53 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

They'll probably use it as a plot hook for an expansion in the future. I agree that they probably have no idea what it is at the moment.

Did this really need a thread of its own?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 07-02-2010, 01:03 AM

Demon Hunter

So the very guardian empowered to protect the world from our current main threat is occupied with "something else". Yeah. Mary Sue or not, that's just bad storytelling.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:52 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
It seems like a blow off, like they have no idea what they’re going to do with him yet.
I think it's because a guardian is just too powerful. If he were there, we wouldn't be needed.

It's the Superman/Sentry-Syndrome. Almost everytime when there's a big crossover event in comics, those characters are written out of the story, because they'd be able to solve the crisis without any help.
Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holy Cow View Post
So the very guardian empowered to protect the world from our current main threat is occupied with "something else". Yeah. Mary Sue or not, that's just bad storytelling.
Med'an himself is the bad storytelling. He HAS to be off somewhere else doing something, because he's like Doctor goddamn Strange. Strange spends his time fighting parallel universes made flesh and eldritch abominations while journeying through an alternate dimension where time goes backwards and hamburgers eat people because he's so stupid powerful that if he's not out of the picture, it throws the power scale all out of whack.

"Well, why doesn't Doctor Strange solve the problem for them? All Wolverine has are claws, and those don't seem to work very well. Doctor Strange could stop Carnage by putting a hex on him that makes him vomit up an endless stream of his own testicles whenever he thinks about harming another person, and he could have done that FROM HIS HOUSE. If they'd just call Doctor Strange that bus full of orphans didn't have to die," we say to ourselves. Thankfully this wasn't an option because Doctor Strange was trapped by Loki in some weird magical plane that looks exactly like Yellow Submarine and couldn't help the heroes, so they had to fight Carnage themselves.

Med'an is so powerful that he trivializes any threat people like Garrosh, Varian, Greymane or Sylvanas (and by extension, the players) CAN fight, and anything that's challenging for him would shove a pineapple up our asses. The best way of solving that problem is just to remove Med'an from the picture entirely, particularly when you consider he has no personality to add to the story with anyway.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:55 AM

Ranger
Send a message via MSN to xlandhenry

He must have some role to play in the Catalysm originaly, otherwise the comic is kinda pointless to have him as protagonist and cover alot about Twilight hammer.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:19 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Quote:
Originally Posted by xlandhenry View Post
He must have some role to play in the Catalysm originaly, otherwise the comic is kinda pointless to have him as protagonist and cover alot about Twilight hammer.
I guess it would if Deathwing was to capture him once bursts up to Azeroth due to what he did to Cho'gath in the comics.

Run
Old 07-02-2010, 03:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
I think it's because a guardian is just too powerful. If he were there, we wouldn't be needed.
That’s not really true though.

Remember that unlike Aegwynn or Medivh who kept the power, Med’an returned it after the ritual is over. Without being empowered by all the people in the ritual, he is really just a powerful multi-classer who can combine magic schools.

Even then, Med’an was fully buffed by the Council, buffed further by Ateish, had outsiders fighting for him, and even had Aegwynn sacrifice her life to help him and he STILL couldn’t kill Cho’gall. Med’an cannot come in and solve every problem by himself.

In addition, I’d argue that, after what happened at the end of “Stormrage,” Malfurion is way more powerful than Med’an is, even with ritual empowerment. And yet he’s running around and fighting the bad guys, but the players are still needed.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:18 PM

Site Staff - Admin

I don't like the idea of WoW having a Jesus, so naturally I dislike Med'an.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:28 PM

Arch-Druid

I read through several storylines of cata too and if they'd include him too after all we would know the gimmick of cata:

Sues

Seriously, looking at it closely VanCleefs secret daugther is precisely what each and every sue-rper that took that role was.

Meh, wrath at least had hell-load of babbling and idiot-filters as gimmicks.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:30 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMaibe View Post
I read through several storylines of cata too and if they'd include him too after all we would know the gimmick of cata:

Sues

Seriously, looking at it closely VanCleefs secret daugther is precisely what each and every sue-rper that took that role was.

Meh, wrath at least had hell-load of babbling and idiot-filters as gimmicks.
I actually liked Vanessa VanCleef's story. Her addition isn't a retcon and it all adds to Edwin's character. The Westfall quest and the final reveal are all exceptionally well made.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I actually liked Vanessa VanCleef's story. Her addition isn't a retcon and it all adds to Edwin's character. The Westfall quest and the final reveal are all exceptionally well made.
you never played on an RP server, now did you?
Old 07-02-2010, 03:33 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilMaibe View Post
you never played on an RP server, now did you?
I've been to Lolshire a few times, but I've never did any serious roleplaying.
Old 07-02-2010, 03:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sarahmoo View Post
I've been to Lolshire a few times, but I've never did any serious roleplaying.
SW and Silvermoon are fine for that, depending on your faction. but in elwynn in general you found several Vanessas.
I tihnk I saw almost the exact same story in on FlagRSP window shortly after BC release...
Old 07-02-2010, 04:44 PM

Elune

Quote:
That’s not really true though.
In addition, I’d argue that, after what happened at the end of “Stormrage,” Malfurion is way more powerful than Med’an is, even with ritual empowerment. And yet he’s running around and fighting the bad guys, but the players are still needed.
And that is why Furion is stuck in one place, unable to divert his attention. It's like sending Doctor Strange to a pocket universe.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
And that is why Furion is stuck in one place, unable to divert his attention. It's like sending Doctor Strange to a pocket universe.
I don't have the full story, but I thought Furion was active throughout Darkshire and then through Hyjal. Is he, like Thrall, stuck holding up Mt. Hyjal or something? I mean if he’s actively combating Ragnaros and working with the demigods, he’s not exactly “stuck in one place.”

There’s still plenty Med’an could do.

Honestly, to build him up so uch in the comic, to have the unprecedented return of the Guardian, to have his arch-nemesis Cho’gall return from the dead, and to not have Med’an do a single thing about is no good - especially given the fact that he was empowered to protect the world from threats like the Twilight’s Hammer Cult who have gotten a big time boost in notoriety.

Hell, it would have been interesting to have a quest where you the player has to become a member of the Council for the ceremony and lend him some power, then you can play as him and fight against Chagall (or whoever) in a Mortal Kombat style duel.
Old 07-02-2010, 05:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Hell, it would have been interesting to have a quest where you the player has to become a member of the Council for the ceremony and lend him some power, then you can play as him and fight against Chagall (or whoever) in a Mortal Kombat style duel.
I wonder what other council members will not appear, I know ones like Jaina and Hamuul are in game. Would really suck if they don't put in say, Rehgar when his former fucking worker got in.
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 07-02-2010, 06:11 PM

The Digger

In Darkshore Malfurion doesn't do much, he basically stands there in the middle of the tornado and only moves from that spot during the one quest where he faces off with Azshara. In Hyjal he spends his time at Archimonde's Vengeance AOE-ing down cultists. He does participate in the final fight against Ragnaros alongside the player though.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaskinRidge View Post
I wonder what other council members will not appear, I know ones like Jaina and Hamuul are in game. Would really suck if they don't put in say, Rehgar when his former fucking worker got in.
People have been clamoring for the chance to interact with Spiketooth for years. It was long overdo.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:20 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
People have been clamoring for the chance to interact with Spiketooth for years. It was long overdo.
Ahh, so it's true that Metzen reads the shit here. It's all about respect.
The trouble with Europe, is that it is full of Drz.
Old 07-02-2010, 07:22 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Quote:
I don't have the full story, but I thought Furion was active throughout Darkshire and then through Hyjal. Is he, like Thrall, stuck holding up Mt. Hyjal or something? I mean if he’s actively combating Ragnaros and working with the demigods, he’s not exactly “stuck in one place.”

There’s still plenty Med’an could do.

Honestly, to build him up so uch in the comic, to have the unprecedented return of the Guardian, to have his arch-nemesis Cho’gall return from the dead, and to not have Med’an do a single thing about is no good - especially given the fact that he was empowered to protect the world from threats like the Twilight’s Hammer Cult who have gotten a big time boost in notoriety.

Frankly? I'm hoping the thing that's keeping him busy is the fact he's turning evil. It's one of the few good things they could do with the character, completely subvert our expectations. Turn a grossly overpowered mary sue hero into a terrifyingly powerful, flawed villain. They need to start introducing new villains, because after Deathwing goes we really only have one left, Azshara.