Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > General WarCraft Discussion

Old 01-06-2010, 03:36 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

Default WoW Magazine Overview

I was looking over the Cataclysm preview in the new WoW Magazine and there are some interesting tidbits. I'll probably post some other stuff from the magazine later, but for now here is the info from the Cataclysm preview:

-Has a really nice writeup of Deathwing. Nothing we don't already know, but it's thorough enough that maybe lore noobs will learn something It was also smart enough to not even bother mentioning Night of the Dragon

-Barrens is being split down the middle - top half is a lot like current Barrens, bottom half is higher level (30-35) and has a high Alliance presence. The Emerald Nightmare is pouring out in southern Barrens and causing lots of problems. Also, the pirates near Ratchet have been stopped and Baron Longshore is mentioned as being in a cage.

-DM & SFK *probably* won't be changed (design-wise), but they make no promises. Boss encounters may be given new mechanics though.

-The zone level flow diagrams are not absolute. They represent *one* path through the zones, but there will still be Alliance and Horde mingling in zones (zones won't just become "Alliance only" and "Horde only" - it will be like it is now). Blizzard is also specifically adding a lot of new ports because they want it to be easy to go wherever you want when you level. They say it will be a lot like it is now (you have a choice of what zone you want to go to), except the leveling process will be much smoother and zones will be full of quests (basically, sounds like how you had a choice between Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, vs. how if you decide to level in say, Desolace or Arathi Highlands, you always run out of quests and are *forced* to go elsewhere).

-They want to get rid of questlines that send you all over the world. They specifically mention the Shaman totem quests. They will still send you to other places in the world, but they want it to be a lot more smoothly done and say there will be quick ways to get there (basically, they won't say "You're in Stormwind, head to Stonetalon Mountain.... ooookkkk GO!" and force you to find your own way there).

-Info on the guild leveling system - all the same info we heard at Blizzcon here.

-Brief paragraph on Vashj'ir. The only real interesting bit is that there will be a zone-wide buff that lets you breath and move freely underwater. It will be exactly like you are on land (you can even mount), but you'll also be able to swim.

-Brief bits on crafting guild heirlooms, stat removals, and reforging. All old info.

-Garrosh is called WarChief several times... booooo

-There is a bit on Tol Barad - nothing we don't already know. They do refer to it as "capturing the city" though, which I don't think was mentioned that there is a city on the island.

-Archaeology and Path of the Titans is meant as end-game character progression. They say that right now, the only progression is via gear upgrades, but that isn't very interesting and doesn't feel like it effects your character much. The idea is that Path of the Titans will make you about 20% more powerful when the expansion is finished. Also mention addditional paths (or whatever they are called) are opened up via patches (so you can't do the whole thing at launch - I think this was mentioned before). Sounds like this is sort of a "casual's solution" to gear progression, which is neat.

-Small blurb on rated Battlegrounds, nothing new.

-A short section strongly hints that Trolls and Gnomes will get their own cities. It mentions Garrosh kicking everyone out of the main section of Orgrimmar, and says the dev team told them "The trolls definitely do have a new place. We can't go too far into that, but every race is still accounted for. While Garrosh is a tough leader, he does see value in all the races that belong to the Horde, and he'll use them to the best of that value." It also mentions the possibility of Gnomes taking back Gnomeregan with Alex Afrasiabi saying "We'll see; possibilities like that are always intriguing to us" and grinning.

That's it for the Cataclysm section. I'll post more stuff later on other sections.

Last edited by Warlock; 01-06-2010 at 03:41 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 04:15 PM

Eternal

Wow I didnt expect anything new at all but thats pretty nice actually.

So we kind of failed in the Walling Caverns anyway?
With the Nightmare pouring out. Makes me wonder if the Emerald Dream/Eye of Ysera will turn out to be a content patch instead of an expansion.
I find it funny about Baron Longshore since we have already cut off his head

So Garrosh is confirmed as a Warchief and not just something like the "Overlord of Orgrimmar"? That sucks. I wonder how Thrall gives Garrosh leadership. And also the "kicking" trolls etc out of Orgrimmar was confirmed. Im sure there will be ways around this though.
And awesome that the Trolls and Gnomes might get cities. I have waited for a Troll capital city for a really long time. Imagine a city on the Echo Isles that is connected by large bridges.

Tol Barad has a city on it? And here I thought it was only a huge prison.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:16 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Hrm. Trolls getting kicked out of Orgrimmar... maybe to make room for the goblins? I was always thinking it was odd that Stormwind was getting a Worgen presence, bringing Stormwind up to two races within its borders, but the Goblins would be the THIRD race to inhabit Orgrimmar. Even so, where will the trolls and gnomes go? Gnomeregan being retaken doesn't make much sense as Dun Morogh already has a city in it, so unless they move it (Dalaran MKII?) I'm not so sure that's a good idea. Still, I'm surprised that part of MMO Champ's predictions came true.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:18 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Warchief Garrosh? I'm warming to this prospect.
Old 01-06-2010, 04:42 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Warchief Garrosh? I'm warming to this prospect.
I'm not. It sounds worse every time they talk about it.

And that jackass from MMO-Champion will show up again in one or two days to rant about how Boubouille is always right and we should all just bow down and lick his balls.

Last edited by Wulfang; 01-06-2010 at 05:53 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 05:29 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
Gnomeregan being retaken doesn't make much sense as Dun Morogh already has a city in it, so unless they move it (Dalaran MKII?) I'm not so sure that's a good idea.
I think that Gnomeregan will stay where it is, but if it had to move, where in Khaz Modan would it be?

If gnomes get their own capital, then they would need their own starting zone to go with it. Otherwise the whole 'what is a capital for' thing gets thrown off. Why have a city away from most of your population? However, they are not getting their own starting zone, they are keeping Dun Morogh. So, instead of a capital, I think they are getting a large town that may have an auction house and a bank.

But where is it? I think the place with the least towns and content in Khaz Modan is the Badlands/Loch Modan/Twilight Highlands border.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
his
I always thought it was an effeminate name.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 01-06-2010 at 05:34 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Perhaps, while Blizz wont be adding a dalaran/shattrath for this expansion, the gnome and troll cities will be the hubs? The trolls decide to colonize Hyjal and maybe the Gnomes build an underwater staging area near vasj'r? I don't know.
Old 01-06-2010, 05:51 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post

So Garrosh is confirmed as a Warchief and not just something like the "Overlord of Orgrimmar"? That sucks. I wonder how Thrall gives Garrosh leadership. And also the "kicking" trolls etc out of Orgrimmar was confirmed. Im sure there will be ways around this though.
Just because Garrosh is Warchief doesn't mean Thrall gave him the title. Right now I'm thinking that Thrall comes back from the Lost Isles and is all tired and such. Then Garrosh challenges him, and wins because he was fully prepared where as Thrall was worn out and surprised. He'd get the title of Warchief because he defeated the previous one

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 01-06-2010, 06:57 PM

Ranger

Quote:
The zone level flow diagrams are not absolute. They represent *one* path through the zones, but there will still be Alliance and Horde mingling in zones (zones won't just become "Alliance only" and "Horde only" - it will be like it is now). Blizzard is also specifically adding a lot of new ports because they want it to be easy to go wherever you want when you level. They say it will be a lot like it is now (you have a choice of what zone you want to go to), except the leveling process will be much smoother and zones will be full of quests (basically, sounds like how you had a choice between Howling Fjord and Borean Tundra, vs. how if you decide to level in say, Desolace or Arathi Highlands, you always run out of quests and are *forced* to go elsewhere).
Are there any images of the zone flow, i.e. filling in level ranges for the zones we don't know about yet (winterspring, blasted lands etc)?
Old 01-06-2010, 07:05 PM

Elune

God i'm loving Garrosh the more we hear about him as Warchief. Trolls are nothing more then the ghetto/zoidberg people of the Horde anyhow. Peons are higher than trolls! :p

Interesting to hear about the Gnomeregan city, but it make sme whine alittle about Worgen not getting their own city, but hey we get a kick-ass new battleground so thats cool aslong as the Battleground turns out to be *fun*.

Quote:
Just because Garrosh is Warchief doesn't mean Thrall gave him the title. Right now I'm thinking that Thrall comes back from the Lost Isles and is all tired and such. Then Garrosh challenges him, and wins because he was fully prepared where as Thrall was worn out and surprised. He'd get the title of Warchief because he defeated the previous one
Garrosh can defeat Thrall withouth needing Thrall to be worn out. Remember the guy has clashed with both Thrall and Varian while managing to hold his own. Thrall himself has referred Garrosh as a great warrior, and last time i checked Thrall doesn't flatter around people for nothing.

Last edited by Drz; 01-06-2010 at 07:09 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:30 PM

Elune

Quote:
Perhaps, while Blizz wont be adding a dalaran/shattrath for this expansion, the gnome and troll cities will be the hubs? The trolls decide to colonize Hyjal and maybe the Gnomes build an underwater staging area near vasj'r? I don't know.
The gnome city entrance:

And the Gnome King gets new lines like "A man chooses, a slave obeys!"

Last edited by Fordragon; 01-06-2010 at 07:32 PM..
Old 01-06-2010, 07:31 PM

Eternal

Alliance is encroaching on the southern barrens? I wonder if that's Varian's doing, Tyrande's doing, or Jaina finally grew a back bone. I want to know what's happening in the Eastern Kingdoms.
Old 01-07-2010, 01:35 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports72Xtrm View Post
Alliance is encroaching on the southern barrens? I wonder if that's Varian's doing, Tyrande's doing, or Jaina finally grew a back bone. I want to know what's happening in the Eastern Kingdoms.
That made me curious from the very beginning, especially after hearing that ships that captured Thrall were all wearing Kul Tiras/Theremore tabards. Either SI:7 is wearing the colors behind Jaina's back and knowledge, or something else is going on. Jaina would never allow the Alliance to use her port as a landing port for the Alliance's invasion of the Southern Barrens. It really does make you wonder what happens up in ICC/Cata to make her change her mind, unless she got deposed or something....

Hopefully the destruction of Southshore means that we get a Gillean built town to takes it's place. Since based upon what we read above, the zones are going to stay the same faction/contested wise. Although you do have to wonder if the Horde will make as many territorial conquests in the EK as they evidently are in Ashenvale/Darkshore....

The Gnome King should also say "It was not impossible to build Gnomeregan on the bottom of the ocean! It was impossible to rebuild it anywhere else!"
Old 01-07-2010, 01:46 AM

I'm glad you guys got a rapture vibe from my idea of a gnome city (I should, I suppose, mention that the short story I submitted to Blizz for a contest a while back was basically a retelling of We The Living starring the Forsaken... if anyone were to take to objectivism, it'd be them).
Old 01-07-2010, 04:01 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLore View Post
Wow I didnt expect anything new at all but thats pretty nice actually.

So we kind of failed in the Walling Caverns anyway?
With the Nightmare pouring out. Makes me wonder if the Emerald Dream/Eye of Ysera will turn out to be a content patch instead of an expansion.
I find it funny about Baron Longshore since we have already cut off his head

And awesome that the Trolls and Gnomes might get cities. I have waited for a Troll capital city for a really long time. Imagine a city on the Echo Isles that is connected by large bridges.

Tol Barad has a city on it? And here I thought it was only a huge prison.
Same here. It seems they are really going to add new stuff to the magazine. Nice, really nice.

I think we could have succeeded at the Wailing Caverns, but then, the Nightmare attacked once again and we got this mess.

Garrosh warchief sucks, at least as the way we were told. If they give him a good storytelling, then everything will be fine. Also, they need to give some characterization to Garrosh (what he has now can't be called that).

And the trolls being kicked, well, makes me doubt Garrosh will change from being a douchebag. As for those new capital cities, I think they'll be small hubs. Places with a lot of stuff, but not as big as capital cities.

I'd prefer them getting real districts, like goblins and worgen are doing. You know, remove them from the middle of the city, giving them a new district where they are gathered. That's how I envision it.

Both for gnomes and trolls, it would be a perfect opportunity to update hub-wise: a port for Orgrimmar (troll destroyers are troll, after all) and an airfield for Ironforge (gnome flying machines, anyone?).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sports72Xtrm View Post
They could have made her gone missing, too, like Thrall. After all, the New Council of Tirisfal will be after the Twilight Hammer, so she could be busy with them. Warchief Garrosh could have damaged the relationships, too. I would love to see some of the Cycle of Hatred characters back, kicking some asses. Colonel Lorena would make a great leader if Jaina isn't around.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 01-07-2010 at 04:05 AM..
Old 01-07-2010, 04:48 AM

Arch-Druid

@ Southern Barrens:

Makes sense since Naralex used the Emerald Dreams energies to refertilize the Barrens, as his original plan was.

Quote from Blizz's World Dungeon Site:

Quote:
Naralex believed he could use the caverns' underground springs to restore lushness and fertility to the Barrens - but to do so would require siphoning the energies of the fabled Emerald Dream.

@ Level Flow: Sounds like I expected. These will most make leveling alts more fun, since you have more choices which level path you use.

@Garrosh the Dick and Retaking of GR:

Old news, since it was also said in that PC Magazine. But nice to hear it confirmed directly from the source.

So, the Trolls will most likely retake Echo Isles and we get some new hub there. (Would make sense since Durotar is a yellow zone)

And Gnome will be most likely retaken, but the Gnomes will somehow fuck up again..^^

Oh and @ Where in the World quest:

Good ridance, nobody does them in the leveling process anyway.

However, I wonder if they will introduce some reshaped Class Mount quests.

The Main Dungeons for the Paladin/Warlock quests will be 35-40 in Cata, and since epic riding is now available at 40...
Old 01-07-2010, 12:06 PM

Ranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KLRMNKY View Post
That made me curious from the very beginning, especially after hearing that ships that captured Thrall were all wearing Kul Tiras/Theremore tabards. Either SI:7 is wearing the colors behind Jaina's back and knowledge, or something else is going on. Jaina would never allow the Alliance to use her port as a landing port for the Alliance's invasion of the Southern Barrens. It really does make you wonder what happens up in ICC/Cata to make her change her mind, unless she got deposed or something....

Hopefully the destruction of Southshore means that we get a Gillean built town to takes it's place. Since based upon what we read above, the zones are going to stay the same faction/contested wise. Although you do have to wonder if the Horde will make as many territorial conquests in the EK as they evidently are in Ashenvale/Darkshore....

The Gnome King should also say "It was not impossible to build Gnomeregan on the bottom of the ocean! It was impossible to rebuild it anywhere else!"
This actually got me thinking. With the Cataclysm coming up, wonder if something happens to Kul Tiras. I know everyone was kind of expecting it to come out, yet the place where it should be in the world is a pretty small body of water at the moment. How interesting would it be that if instead of moving it west some to make room for the island nation, if they said it sunk in the Cataclysm. Jaina's brother then leads his people to Northwatch/Southern Barrens, since we seem to get some idea from early Horde quests that he might be in charge and wanting to carry out his fathers mission. He takes over the Keep and fortifies it, and begins to lead attacks on the Horde settlements in the Southern Barrens.

This would give us a good reason for Alliance attacks there and a possible new Alliance Hero through Lord Admiral Tandred Proudmoore. The guy's father and brother were killed by the Horde and he wants some revenge. With the rest of the Alliance now backing him due to the new war fronts, Jaina can't stop in this time to stop him without being a traitor.

There's also two other possibilities that could happen here. These forces could be what is responsible for Cairne's death and the start of even more war. Also if Kul Tiras is now in Sotuhern Barrens that would explain and give good reason for Vol'jin to leave Orgrimmar and return to the Echo Islands to head the naval defense of Durotar and the Isles along with the war against the new forces.

Last edited by Stormcrusher; 01-07-2010 at 12:09 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:24 PM

Keeper of Lore

Since Oma asked for it earlier:

Last edited by Warlock; 01-10-2010 at 11:20 PM..
Old 01-07-2010, 05:30 PM

I'm still wondering where Worgen go after level 10 (apparently it IS a standard 1-10 zone rather than 1-15). Wetlands seems the most likely.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:32 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Is that a chunk taken out of Theramore?

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:33 PM

Keeper of Lore

Quote:
I'm still wondering where Worgen go after level 10 (apparently it IS a standard 1-10 zone rather than 1-15). Wetlands seems the most likely.
Actually I really, really think they will go to Silverpine. The article specifically says they will clash with the Forsaken a lot, and Blizzard seems super keen on trying to bring back world pvp (or something akin to it). It would make sense for the Worgen to take over Pyrewood Village (though proximity to SFK could be an issue for horde, not sure) or at least Ambermill.
Old 01-07-2010, 05:51 PM

Eh. No other race is forced to share a 2nd zone with another. The Goblins get Azshara to themselves, I'd imagine the Worgen would get their own. And if they WERE intended to go to Silverpine, wouldn't there be an arrow leading from gilneas to that zone?
Old 01-07-2010, 11:38 PM

Elune

Do they mention what the significance of the red parenthetical numbers are? You know, "Alterac 20-25 (25-30)"

Quote:
Eh. No other race is forced to share a 2nd zone with another. The Goblins get Azshara to themselves, I'd imagine the Worgen would get their own. And if they WERE intended to go to Silverpine, wouldn't there be an arrow leading from gilneas to that zone?
Orcs and Tauren?

It's also possible that Worgen might be funneled in to Westfall, since we know their racial capital becomes Stormwind City.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:35 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

We already discussed the worgen 11-20 zone problem: http://www.scrollsoflore.com/forums/...ead.php?t=5170

The answer was that Azshara was just replacing the missing Barrens zone because, you know, Southern Barrens was the 11-20 tauren zone.

Regarding the picture Warlock posted (thanks you, btw) I find some odd things:

-Death Knight leveling: they went straight for EPL once they finished Acherus; what now?
-With EPL being lowered, I expect Winterspring being lowered as well, being the Kalimdor version of EPL level-wise. That leaves us Silithus only for 55-60, or do they plan to make Burning Steppes the high zone now? Depending on instances, some level changes wouldn't make sense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vineyard View Post
Edit: Unintended double post, because of Auto logout

Please delete.
I think you can delete them by clicking edit and then using the delete option inside.

I say I think because I don't know if it can be done when they have already posted after you.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~

Last edited by Lon-ami; 01-08-2010 at 01:45 AM..
Old 01-08-2010, 01:55 AM

Arch-Druid

Oversaw it, thank you.^^

Another thing:

I the new map there is only on arrow now leading from the Eastern Plaguelands to the New Neutral Port.

While it is sure that the part will also include a second path between the hinterlnads and the Plaguelands, it is now clear that the main Function of the Port will be to connect them with other Zones in the same Level via ship.
Logically the connected zones have to be 40-45 and 50-55.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lon-ami View Post
-Death Knight leveling: they went straight for EPL once they finished Acherus; what now?
EPL? Death Knight get out of Archerus at 58. Most people I know directly switch to Outland.

Quote:
-With EPL being lowered, I expect Winterspring being lowered as well, being the Kalimdor version of EPL level-wise. That leaves us Silithus only for 55-60, or do they plan to make Burning Steppes the high zone now? Depending on instances, some level changes wouldn't make sense.
You forgot Blasted Lands. It has a direct connection to Outland, so leaving it 55-60 would actually make sense. However, perhaps they also split it as they do it with the Eastern Plaguelands. Remember that Blasted Lands is a red Zone. (Deeply necessary, since present it is totally worthless as a leveling zone.)

But I agree with Winterspring, it indeed likely that it gets also downgrated. (and improved, since leveling in Winterspring also sucks balls..^^)

Last edited by Vineyard; 01-08-2010 at 02:11 AM..