Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 06-17-2006, 12:55 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysar
You don't know the scale of perils and madness that I have to come through almost every time I talk to this person... I'm already in a bad mood

edit: btw. I suggest we stop spamming this thread...

Oh, that's tough Tysar :p

Yeah, I should have stopped spamming a long time ago if it wasnt for how fun it is to correct Cheesy ^^ But I am ending that now.

Also, when it was just Kalimdor, was it landmass between all that? If that's so, it is strange that a world that is shaped like a square.
Old 06-17-2006, 12:59 PM

Druid of the Talon

Im guessing blizz copied that theory on how the world was once a massive continent. And since the mealstrom is in the middle, im guessing it was but was.
Old 06-18-2006, 03:34 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Well, a square world would normally be weird, but in this case the titans made it square.

Also, now that i mentioned Square, ill introduce myself to the new guy.

Kerrah, at your service. The conspiracist, hothead and Final Fantasy fan of these forums.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.

Last edited by Kerrah; 06-18-2006 at 04:13 AM..
Old 06-18-2006, 04:18 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
and Final Fantasy fan of these forums.
Wrong forum buddy.
Anyway, welcome to the forum. Please direct your spam into Censhi's mailbox, thank you.

-Now where were we? Ah yes... Sea Witch submerging the islands.
This is what I dont get. You cant SINK an island. Its not like a boat. An island is attached to the seabed. The only way you could 'sink' it is if the sea level rose horrifically, but then the whole world would suffer.
So what I think happens there is that its just one huge tsunami drowning the island, and leaving it desolate. Coupled with the volcano I expect it would be a lifeless barren rock pretty much like Censhi's brain.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:23 AM

Arch-Druid

Dont think so much Timolas. It is a game :p

I think sinking the island was a reason to add time to the mission.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative
Dont think so much Timolas. It is a game :p

I think sinking the island was a reason to add time to the mission.
How dare you! Warcraft pariah! xO /slap
But seriously What I said makes sense... and it still leaves the obvious possibility of the islands getting water logged and destroyed. So whats the problem. Besides I wasnt thinking so much, I take Geography as a subject so its just common sense
Old 06-18-2006, 04:39 AM

Elune

Timolas, there is a problem in your theory.

Three words:
-Gul'Dan
-Broken
-Isles

Oh and also, cant i be a FF fanboi here if that one guy be a fanboi to that one anime thing?

Last edited by Kerrah; 06-18-2006 at 04:45 AM..
Old 06-18-2006, 04:48 AM

Quote:
Timolas, there is a problem in your theory.

Three words:
-Gul'Dan
-Broken
-Isles

Oh and also, cant i be a FF fanboi here if that one guy be a fanboi to that one anime thing?
What about the Broken Gul'dan Isles? And of course you can be a FF fan.
Old 06-18-2006, 04:53 AM

Elune

Creative, you are talking about two seperate isles.

Anyway, if Gul'Dan can raise isles, why cant the sea-witch sink them?

Old 06-18-2006, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Creative, you are talking about two seperate isles.

Anyway, if Gul'Dan can raise isles, why cant the sea-witch sink them?
Gul'dan lifted the earth. To sink the islands again you'd have to compress the earth itself and push them back down.
1: The Sea Witch cant possibly be that powerful.
2: It didnt happen. :p
Old 06-18-2006, 04:59 AM

Arch-Druid

Well, it must have happened, as the Darkspear came from that island, and they didnt just pop up on the ships

Also, she was a Sea Witch. She might have been physically weak, she is a ghost, figures and not so great at non water magic, but perhaps she has the power to summon [Whatever that submerged the island.]
Old 06-18-2006, 05:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative
Well, it must have happened, as the Darkspear came from that island, and they didnt just pop up on the ships

Also, she was a Sea Witch. She might have been physically weak, she is a ghost, figures and not so great at non water magic, but perhaps she has the power to summon [Whatever that submerged the island.]
Theres nothing recorded that she ever summoned anything, or even suggests she did.
Besides, the islands were surely initially formed naturally. Nothing suggests they are magic made. The Sea Witch just threw water at the island and drowned the critters.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:02 AM

Elune

HAAHAA!!

I said we must put the Darkspear isles on the map but everyone else said that they sank, now Timolas thinks they didnt sink as well!!!

I got support!

Old 06-18-2006, 05:03 AM

Arch-Druid

Wasnt it a cinematic at the end where it got crushed beneath the tides?
Years since I played the demo
Old 06-18-2006, 05:04 AM

Quote:
HAAHAA!!

I said we must put the Darkspear isles on the map but everyone else said that they sank, now Timolas thinks they didnt sink as well!!!

I got support!
Odd, I am actually supporting you without realising Well must have been reduced in size greatly by the flooding, so most of it would be underwater. And a lot of the island would have been blasted and burned by the volcano. Still I DO think there would be something visible left... even just a little. Geographically thats how I understand it would work
Old 06-18-2006, 05:05 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timolas
Odd, I am actually supporting you without realising Well must have been reduced in size greatly by the flooding, so most of it would be underwater. And a lot of the island would have been blasted and burned by the volcano. Still I DO think there would be something visible left... even just a little. Geographically thats how I understand it would work
Thats exactly what i said to them but they said "it sank, period."

Old 06-18-2006, 05:10 AM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Wrong forum buddy.
Anyway, welcome to the forum. Please direct your spam into Censhi's mailbox, thank you.

-Now where were we? Ah yes... Sea Witch submerging the islands.
This is what I dont get. You cant SINK an island. Its not like a boat. An island is attached to the seabed. The only way you could 'sink' it is if the sea level rose horrifically, but then the whole world would suffer.
So what I think happens there is that its just one huge tsunami drowning the island, and leaving it desolate. Coupled with the volcano I expect it would be a lifeless barren rock pretty much like Censhi's brain.
You studied how waterfalls form gorges on geography, right? Water from the waterfall undercuts the hard rock on the top layers eroding with the soft rock in the lower ones; rock on top falls when the lower one is eroded away, so we have a gorge formed after a few million years - we could kind of apply it here - The Sea Witch causes horrendously powerful underwater waves combined with earthquakes to crush away the lower layers of the island causing it to "sink" lower, while activating the volcano and causing huge waves to cover the island on the way... perhaps the earthquake and eruption itself is caused by two tectonic plates meeting on the island to move apart from each other, the opposite of the effect which actually causes mountains and islands to form, so the island could be "sank" by that as well... god I'm a nerd

oh, and I'm a warhammer fanboy

Last edited by Tysar; 06-18-2006 at 05:19 AM..
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 AM

Quote:
You studied how waterfalls form gorges on geography, right? Water from the waterfall undercuts the hard rock on the top layers eroding with the soft rock in the lower ones; rock on top falls when the lower one is eroded away, so we have a gorge formed after a few million years - we could kind of apply it here - The Sea Witch causes horrendously powerful underwater waves combined with earthquakes to crush away the lower layers of the island causing it to "sink" lower, while activating the volcano and causing huge waves to cover the island on the way... perhaps the earthquake and eruption itself is caused by two tectnic plates meeting on the island to move apart from each other, the opposite of the effect which actually causes mountains and islands to form, so the island could be "sank" by that as well... god I'm a nerd

oh, and I'm a warhammer fanboy
The freakin scary thing is that I understood everything you just said, and everyone else will be reading Chinese Your theory is a good one, but we come again to the fact that the Sea Witch isn't an omnipotent being. She surely controls powerful magics, but she seems more like a rogue elemental spirit than some real entity of power unmatched so to speak :p
To cut through the very rock of the island would require incredibly powerful magic, similar to that Gul'dan used to manipulate the earth to raise the Broken Isles.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:16 AM

Elune

Or,
she could have magically reduced the base of the island to dust, sinking the oversea part beneath the waves.

Old 06-18-2006, 05:18 AM

Sentinel Queen

or maybe she had a mining pick
Old 06-18-2006, 05:18 AM

Quote:
Or,
she could have magically reduced the base of the island to dust, sinking the oversea part beneath the waves.
Where would she get such incredible power from? If she wanted Thrall dead so badly and was really that powerful she could have vaporized him when she floated in his face after he killed the Murloc Sorceror.
Old 06-18-2006, 05:22 AM

Elune

Quote:
Where would she get such incredible power from? If she wanted Thrall dead so badly and was really that powerful she could have vaporized him when she floated in his face after he killed the Murloc Sorceror.
Why dont the baddies in Bond movies just kill him? Why do they tell the evil plot and leave him to die in a very slow and unsure way?

Seriously?
1. I think she wanted him to die with Fear, would have been a "good" death for him to just die.
2. I dont know anything about her, but propably her spirit was somehow infused to that island, making it easier for her to manipulate it than to manipulate mortal Flesh. (maybe she was a Highbourne from the time of WotA, and she was killed and started haunting).

Old 06-18-2006, 05:31 AM

Sentinel Queen

apparently, the dungeon was her "sanctuary" (see the screens I posted before), so Kerrah might be right that her spirit is somehow bound to the island (perhaps in a similar way to how the Draenei were initially connected to Dreanor before their history was utterly desecrated). I think though that maybe her powers only had effect on water, from her words she didn't really sound like caring how will Thrall die - she just wanted him dead. And remember that she sent her Murlocs in waves to destroy the orcs and trolls and participated in the attacks herself (and wasn't too hard to kill actually). She did all she could to kill thrall and the trolls, sending her army at them, sinking the island and causing earthquakes and volcano eruptions - if she had a good opportunity to kill Thrall, she would, but Thrall pwns her physical form 1vs1.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:53 AM

Quote:
apparently, the dungeon was her "sanctuary" (see the screens I posted before), so Kerrah might be right that her spirit is somehow bound to the island (perhaps in a similar way to how the Draenei were initially connected to Dreanor before their history was utterly desecrated). I think though that maybe her powers only had effect on water, from her words she didn't really sound like caring how will Thrall die - she just wanted him dead. And remember that she sent her Murlocs in waves to destroy the orcs and trolls and participated in the attacks herself (and wasn't too hard to kill actually). She did all she could to kill thrall and the trolls, sending her army at them, sinking the island and causing earthquakes and volcano eruptions - if she had a good opportunity to kill Thrall, she would, but Thrall pwns her physical form 1vs1.
I suppose her true power lies in the sea and water itself, not in open combat.
Old 06-18-2006, 07:59 AM

Arch-Druid

As I said

Tags
cartography