Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft RTS Discussion

Old 11-11-2013, 07:07 AM

Elune
BattleTag: DedChikn#1567

Default Warcraft 1 and 2 "updated"

Bringing them to modern PCs.

Honestly, I hope they can be played on tablets, but I'll settle for a modern PC.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:28 AM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ded Chikn View Post
Bringing them to modern PCs.

Honestly, I hope they can be played on tablets, but I'll settle for a modern PC.
I just hope they don't try to... 'update' the story.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-11-2013, 07:46 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
I just hope they don't try to... 'update' the story.
I wouldn't expect them not to. As much as I love the originals much of it is outdated as fuck, the maps, the regions and the story being brought in line with the world we now know is what I'd want to see. Can you imagine building roads or units moving so slowly? Big buxom for and water Elementals. The slimes of Karazahn. I've got a massive nostalgia for this game but if your updating it you might as well do it entirely. With the movie coming out Id expect this to better reflect that world, after all releasing something like this during a critical time that's true to the original would be pretty damned wrong of them.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:51 AM

Eternal

The problems to consider here are manifold. If we're talking an HD remake of WC1/2/2x, then it sounds like something they'd attempt to do in the SC2 RTS engine. But that's a lot of new assets created, from art to buildings to creeps, in addition to likely re-recording all of the voices so they don't need to give Bill Roper any money.

Making the old RTS games playable is just a matter of building a DOS bootloader to create the memory environment for the game and then leave all of the existing gameplay as-is. Doing ANYTHING ELSE to alter the game is going to force them to try and monetize it, and I don't think anyone wants to see that happen.

To be clear: would I LIKE an HD remake of the pre-WC3 RTS titles? Yes. But I'm not going to shit a brick of it just ends up being the original games with a DosBox built-in. It just means I can play them, but I probably won't.

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 11-11-2013, 09:55 AM

Elune

I was under the impression it was just a programming fix to make them work on modern computers.

It's one thing to have problems and voice your concerns, but when you endlessly bitch day in and day out about the same tired old shit, it honestly makes me wonder why you are even here. Generally when somebody doesn't like something, they stop caring about it.

And on that note, SoL is a forum I no longer enjoy. So, I'm done here. And I genuinely think the people who have absolutely nothing at all positive to say about the game and, the people whose posts are composed entirely of whining, really consider leaving (or at least sticking to non-WoW sections). Because if you truly get no enjoyment out of WoW, then why are you here?

With that said, goodbye.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:28 AM

The Sun King

WC2 works fine already...
Old 11-11-2013, 10:31 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Yeah. I would've bought this a few years ago, but now I've hit ebay and figured out DOSBox.

Or do a google search for "play warcraft II" you don't even have to download anything.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kir the Wizard View Post
Even on Windows 8? Even then you'd be surprised at how many people suck at trying to make a game work. Most just want to pop in the disc and play.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:43 AM

Keeper of the Grove

To be honest, this would be a terrible idea unless they planned to update it with modern RTS features. No rally points, no tab selection for units, no multiple building selection all make the game frustrating to play. It's hard enough to go back to Starcraft 1 after playing War3 and SC2, it's going to be even harder going back to Warcraft 1 and 2, even if it's just to play the campaign.
Old 11-11-2013, 10:52 AM

The Sun King

Last year I went back and played the shit out of WC2 while having a parallel play through WC3 custom campaigns.
Old 11-11-2013, 02:50 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

I hope they would add it to Sc2 in some format since they have began already recreating Wc3 heroes. Would be awesome if we could play the old game campaigns as a custom map and would bring in people to play the free Sc2 Arcade .

Run
Old 11-13-2013, 03:13 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
I hope they would add it to Sc2 in some format since they have began already recreating Wc3 heroes. Would be awesome if we could play the old game campaigns as a custom map and would bring in people to play the free Sc2 Arcade .
Admittedly that's the hardest thing to figure out about updating WC1/2 -- how to get them to have battle.net functionality from within DOSBox.

UNless it really is "let's remake this in the SC2 engine" in which case it's no problem... and also SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:37 PM

Keeper of Lore
BattleTag: Warlock#1498

WarCraft 2 already has a Battle.net Edition. It was optimized for like, Windows 98, but I'm sure there is not much effort needed to get that working on modern OSes.

I'm fairly confident that WarCraft 1 will not have multiplayer enabled (all it ever had was IPX play anyways), unless they go above and beyond.

I'm fairly certain though they will just attempt to get the original games, unchanged, working on modern operating systems. Like they did with Blackthorne. It makes sense to update BNE because that is already mostly there, so maybe they will put some extra effort into making sure the Battle.net portion of that works, but otherwise, yeah. This is a side project that has almost no resources devoted to it - they aren't going to go crazy and make HD versions or tablet versions or whatever. That's taking work away from, for example, tablet Hearthstone or other current "money making" projects.
Old 11-13-2013, 05:42 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warlock View Post
WarCraft 2 already has a Battle.net Edition. It was optimized for like, Windows 98, but I'm sure there is not much effort needed to get that working on modern OSes.

I'm fairly confident that WarCraft 1 will not have multiplayer enabled (all it ever had was IPX play anyways), unless they go above and beyond.

I'm fairly certain though they will just attempt to get the original games, unchanged, working on modern operating systems. Like they did with Blackthorne. It makes sense to update BNE because that is already mostly there, so maybe they will put some extra effort into making sure the Battle.net portion of that works, but otherwise, yeah. This is a side project that has almost no resources devoted to it - they aren't going to go crazy and make HD versions or tablet versions or whatever. That's taking work away from, for example, tablet Hearthstone or other current "money making" projects.
This is all pretty true.

Admittedly, if I could figure out the process to extract models from WoW to recreate all of the units needed for WC1/2/2x, I'd go for making those custom maps in SC2 myself. I think a lot of the projects that start off with that intent end up becoming "amg let's bring back the glory days of WC3" and that's when you get the A New Dawn project.

Old 11-13-2013, 10:01 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I've made half of all the units from Warcraft 2 for SC2. Half of them are released on SC2mapster already, still working on the rest.

https://docs.google.com/presentation...g103fddacb_015
Old 11-13-2013, 10:04 PM

World Builder

Runes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triceron View Post
I've made half of all the units from Warcraft 2 for SC2. Half of them are released on SC2mapster already, still working on the rest.

-Made-? O.O

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 11-14-2013, 03:03 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytotem View Post
-Made-? O.O
Yes. Triceron is a legend of SC2 modding.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:17 AM

Eternal

Quote:

Looks awesome!

Hmm... are there any units I'd need for WC1 that aren't in WC2?

I'll do some research/design.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:47 AM

Dryad

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Hmm... are there any units I'd need for WC1 that aren't in WC2?
The units present in WC1 but absent in WC2 are: Human Archer, Human Catapult, Human Cleric, Human Brigand (Non-Playable), Orc Spearman, Orc Raider, Orc Necrolyte, Orc Warlock, Slime, (Giant) Scorpion, (Giant) Spider, Fire Elemental and Water Elemental.
Old 11-14-2013, 07:24 AM

Echo of the Past

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
The units present in WC1 but absent in WC2 are: Human Archer, Human Catapult, Human Cleric, Human Brigand (Non-Playable), Orc Spearman, Orc Raider, Orc Necrolyte, Orc Warlock, Slime, (Giant) Scorpion, (Giant) Spider, Fire Elemental and Water Elemental.
Note that Human Archers use crossbows. I consider that of vital importance.
Old 11-14-2013, 08:03 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrettin View Post
Oh, thanks for the list.

You know what really sticks out to me about that list?

Orcish Spearman. In terms of stuff that never showed up in any form again, or something that feels so antithetical to the orcish concept of "take a big weapon, smash your enemy in the face with it" I don't think there's anything as strange as the very concept of an orcish spear-tosser.

Old 11-14-2013, 11:14 AM

Dryad

Wouldn't it be cool to see an orc spearman in WC2?

Old 11-14-2013, 12:18 PM

Keeper of the Grove

I've got a couple from Warcraft 1 (based on WoW), but no real plans to do those units yet. Wouldn't be hard, just not on the schedule atm.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:19 PM

Elune

Quote:

Those are amazing. I love the death knight!
Old 11-14-2013, 02:01 PM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
I've got a couple from Warcraft 1 (based on WoW), but no real plans to do those units yet. Wouldn't be hard, just not on the schedule atm.

Love it. Sort of wish the was refrenced slightly on the head. But if I asked that then I'd be suggesting tits on the Elemental.

Tags
rts, warcraft