Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Old 04-25-2015, 05:29 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
If we're talking about development assets, consider some important factors:

Factors.
True, but the assets being reusable is something you'd expect from a new race. I mean, most of us want to see new races that are involved in the story and not worgen, which excluding the worgen, has always been the case. I mean, playable naga in an AU Draenor expansion would be pretty weird, and I'm not talking about their lower body.

Either way, while I doubt that we'll ever agree on this topic, reading your opinions on this topic has been fun.
Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

I find it funny that they introduced Jinyu and Hozen in MoP as if they were planning on adding them as playable races in the future, but failing to really make either of them seem all that appealing to the playerbase. (At least, insofar as I haven't seen anyone here suggest that they want either of them playable.)
Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Hm... Are Naga considered a sub species? Dunno but they're so different from Night Elfs (for starters: they are interesting) that I'll choose to count them seperately (if Vrykul aren't counted as sub species of humans i think i'm good).

Following this bold act of heresy my list goes as follows:

1.) Playable Naga.
2.) Playable Fel Guards.
3.) Playable Arrakoa.

End of list.
No, Naga are their own race. Just like Blood and Night elves are separate races. Naga have almost nothing in common with night elves anymore.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

Either way, while I doubt that we'll ever agree on this topic, reading your opinions on this topic has been fun.
I think we have similar viewpoints in a lot of other cases that allow our disagreements to remain civil. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I find it funny that they introduced Jinyu and Hozen in MoP as if they were planning on adding them as playable races in the future, but failing to really make either of them seem all that appealing to the playerbase. (At least, insofar as I haven't seen anyone here suggest that they want either of them playable.)
I'm not sure that Blizzard made any overtures about the jinyu and hozen being playable at some point (though that's more a function of never offering straight confirmations/denials on that kind of thing) but the fact that the jinyu were using a male night elf skeleton feels like a huge red flag against that concept. I think Blizzard realized that they needed to have more races on Pandaria aside from just the pandaren, and that's ultimately where the two of them ended up coming in: as companion races for the Alliance/Horde (while the hozen also did double duty as a mook race).

All told, though, I don't think either race brings much to the table that wasn't already fully explored in MoP. That's not a mark against their quality, but a realization that they don't really have notable stories to tell beyond what's been told. In that way, they're both a lot like the tuskarr. Is there a point in playable tuskarr post-Northrend?

Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM

Sentinel Queen

I don't get it why people think that demons, Naga or Dragons should be playable. The first and the last would be ridicously overpowered or would be depowered to be playable and destroy all lore about them (mind this forum and the rant against lore derailment such stand is more than astonishing) and Naga have no legs thus making mounts and two armor slots unavaible to them. The chances for those races is exactly zero and that is well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
I don't get it why people think that demons, Naga or Dragons should be playable. The first and the last would be ridicously overpowered or would be depowered to be playable and destroy all lore about them (mind this forum and the rant against lore derailment such stand is more than astonishing) and Naga have no legs thus making mounts and two armor slots unavaible to them. The chances for those races is exactly zero and that is well.
Dude, I've been fighting against the naga concept for years. People think the armor slots are a triviality because a bunch of races don't really wear boots and that naga would just mount up sidesaddle.

Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 PM

Elune

1. Jinyu
2. Satyr
3. Ethereals
4. Tuskarr
5. Arakkoa
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
Dragons are powerful, it's debatable how powerful Drakonid are though. For all we know they're likely just about as powerful as the playable races.

Asking for playable Drakonid is not the same as asking to play as literal dragons.
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM

Elune

Quote:
Dragons are powerful, it's debatable how powerful Drakonid are though. For all we know they're likely just about as powerful as the playable races.

Asking for playable Drakonid is not the same as asking to play as literal dragons.
Drakonids, how much is RPG info, are just humans/mortals who were either blessed by the dragons, or spent so much time with the dragons that they took on dragon charateristics.

So I imagine that they would be on par with a worgen who become more powerful then when in their normal form.

But if Blizzard ever wanted to go back to the transforming race, then drakonids would be an easy fix.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 AM

Elune

When it comes to naga and the whole armor issue, I say introduce a more amphibious breed of naga that have proper legs and shit. People still get "naga" and you don't have to worry about that armor problem.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:19 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
When it comes to naga and the whole armor issue, I say introduce a more amphibious breed of naga that have proper legs and shit. People still get "naga" and you don't have to worry about that armor problem.
I've proposed that same idea and it was met with "well then they wouldn't be naga anymore" since the whole appeal behind them is playing some kind of humanoid snake creature that slithers around.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:30 AM

Elune

Naga are defined by the fact that they have no legs, but a snake's tail.

If you remove the snake tail and replace it with legs, then you have lizard/fishmen.

Then again, I don't see much of an issue with the naga being able to stay naga and have the full option of mounts and armor.

You already have four races who's boots don't cover their feet and two races who look completely silly looking on most mounts. One of the main reason why I had to give up on worgen since you put them on most Alliance-type mounts and their feet practically drag on the ground the entire time because they are so long legged. Tauren, with shorter legs don't have the same issue, but it amuses me to see a tauren on a horse.

Naga can go side saddle, or coil themselves on mounts.

Boots become braclets, leggings go from two legs to one, and the rest of the armor works the same on two legged races.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Naga are defined by the fact that they have no legs, but a snake's tail.

If you remove the snake tail and replace it with legs, then you have lizard/fishmen.

Then again, I don't see much of an issue with the naga being able to stay naga and have the full option of mounts and armor.

You already have four races who's boots don't cover their feet and two races who look completely silly looking on most mounts. One of the main reason why I had to give up on worgen since you put them on most Alliance-type mounts and their feet practically drag on the ground the entire time because they are so long legged. Tauren, with shorter legs don't have the same issue, but it amuses me to see a tauren on a horse.

Naga can go side saddle, or coil themselves on mounts.

Boots become braclets, leggings go from two legs to one, and the rest of the armor works the same on two legged races.
Another argument I read is that there exist quests and other objectives that require the use of legs, can't remember what specific examples were given specifically though.
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM

Elune

Quote:
Another argument I read is that there exist quests and other objectives that require the use of legs, can't remember what specific examples were given specifically though.
The beauty pagent quests.

Orcs/humans wanna look at some good gams, and since naga don't have gams, they can't participate.

Poor naga.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 AM

Elune

Well shit, I'm fine with naga becoming full-fledged lizardmen. Lizardmen are the shit.

I don't see naga becoming playable unless they get actual legs.
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Well shit, I'm fine with naga becoming full-fledged lizardmen. Lizardmen are the shit.

I don't see naga becoming playable unless they get actual legs.
Wouldn't that pretty much just be playable saurok?

... which would then necessitate the saurok getting a new skeleton since Blizzard used the male worgen skeleton for them, and saberon, and Maloriak-style drakonids...

Old 04-26-2015, 01:46 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Darkmoon Card: Beasts

I'm liking that the Nathrezim as a playable race have gained a bit of support lately; the dreadlords definitely have an iconic-enough look. They along with Ethereals would be a good duo for an Argus expansion. But it would be years and years away before the opportunity to add either of them arises - nathrezim are mostly a speculative race at this stage.

Vykrul I think will never happen. They don't really have enough going for them as a unique race. Their home is in faraway Northrend and physically they just look like burly humans. An unlikely candidate I think. We'll definitely see more from the vykrul in the future, but I don't think their role will extend much beyond antagonistic.

Ogres are definitely a possibility someday. I'm pretty sure Blizzard must have already considered them as a potential race in previous expansions and there would be enough creative and popular support to add them. They would need to finally design a female ogre though. Also they might have the problem of not being exciting enough relative to the other faction's new race, like how people thought nobody would play goblins because worgen looked so-cool. Ogres wouldn't feel right outside of the Horde too, Alliance ogres could work but they would feel more at home with the Horde.

Arakkoa I'm not really sure about - but I would say they would be a bit unlikely compared to other candidates. Also it would probably be the shadow arakkoa if they were added; those high arakkoa don't have anywhere near the same level of popular support as their original hunched-down cousins from The Burning Crusade. Would also be difficult seeding them with the rest of the franchise; how do you keep the arakkoa relevant being so distant from Azeroth? What would keep them unique beyond their introductory expansion?

Naga are likely. Probably in the top-three of all non-playable races. But there are a few problems that would have to be resolved first. Like what faction do you send them to - especially if they're likely to a main antagonistic race in the expansion that they are added in? And how do you resolve the graphical issues of them not having any feet? (I guess you could turn the 'Foot' slot into a 'Tail' one?) But if they're not playable in the South Seas expansion, they never will be. The opportunity to have them is when we fight Queen Azshara below the ocean, so if Blizzard doesn't add them then, that would indicate the naga are never going to be playable.

Last edited by Shaman; 04-26-2015 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Kobold Mage? Gnoll Death Knight? Murloc Shaman? The Mongrel Horde - think about it
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 AM

Elune

A golem/ironborn type of race.

Ruled by the Iron Lady.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Wouldn't that pretty much just be playable saurok?

... which would then necessitate the saurok getting a new skeleton since Blizzard used the male worgen skeleton for them, and saberon, and Maloriak-style drakonids...
Funny thing is, except for the drakonid one, they seem to go out of their way to come up with excuses to have NPC's from each of those races captured and put in stocks. Like they figure since they put the time into creating that unique pose set for the worgen skeleton, they'll at least get some mileage out of it by having similarly locked up saurok and saberon.
Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball

Quote:

And most low- or mid-level demons aren't more powerful than our characters either. Sure, they took a few steroids, but since WOW (and TFT) they're mostly just "scary" because of their numbers and not their individual power. Killing a dragon is still a big deal, most of the times, or they're young/babies. Demons? We kill 'em in dozens.

I even had to stop myself from mentioning more demon races simply because they are so weak... and allowed themselves to be enslaved by mortals. I wouldn't mind playable fel guards (mo'arg body builders) and sayaad, but they're pets.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:09 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I even had to stop myself from mentioning more demon races simply because they are so weak... and allowed themselves to be enslaved by mortals. I wouldn't mind playable fel guards (mo'arg body builders) and sayaad, but they're pets.
Although, a Sayaad having a succubus pet would be kinda kinky.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM

Elune

Succubi would never be slaves. It's too kinky for them.

Although from what I understand of lock lore, most of the demons they summon are those they go into a demonic pact with.

So that would be an interesting thing to do with playable demons. They joined because the A/H made a pact with them.

And all this wheeling and dealing makes me want Etherals even more.
Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 AM

Elune

Would people still accept Ethereals if they had a more decidedly physicaly humanoid appearance, particularly in the face to help with customization?
Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 AM

Sentinel Queen

If people are fine with High Elves even though they are just Blood Elves without green eyes I do not see them being obsessed with Etherals being just bandages with no facial features at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Old 04-26-2015, 04:26 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Mana

Quote:
Would people still accept Ethereals if they had a more decidedly physicaly humanoid appearance, particularly in the face to help with customization?
Would kinda defeat the point though if they were just bandaged humans. I think there's definitely enough customization-possibilities with their existing appearance, they wouldn't need to make any radical changes to make ethereals playable. What with different coloured rags/particle effects etc

Tags
blizz needs polls, data-mining, information gathering, races, survey