Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > World of WarCraft Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 04-25-2015, 05:29 PM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,959

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
If we're talking about development assets, consider some important factors:

Factors.
True, but the assets being reusable is something you'd expect from a new race. I mean, most of us want to see new races that are involved in the story and not worgen, which excluding the worgen, has always been the case. I mean, playable naga in an AU Draenor expansion would be pretty weird, and I'm not talking about their lower body.

Either way, while I doubt that we'll ever agree on this topic, reading your opinions on this topic has been fun.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 04-25-2015, 06:10 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

I find it funny that they introduced Jinyu and Hozen in MoP as if they were planning on adding them as playable races in the future, but failing to really make either of them seem all that appealing to the playerbase. (At least, insofar as I haven't seen anyone here suggest that they want either of them playable.)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 04-25-2015, 10:15 PM
Deicide Deicide is offline

Arch-Druid
Deicide's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Brazil
Posts: 2,228

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commander Rotal View Post
Hm... Are Naga considered a sub species? Dunno but they're so different from Night Elfs (for starters: they are interesting) that I'll choose to count them seperately (if Vrykul aren't counted as sub species of humans i think i'm good).

Following this bold act of heresy my list goes as follows:

1.) Playable Naga.
2.) Playable Fel Guards.
3.) Playable Arrakoa.


End of list.
No, Naga are their own race. Just like Blood and Night elves are separate races. Naga have almost nothing in common with night elves anymore.
__________________
- Sorry for any typos; english's not my primary language.

- A better signature coming soon(ish).
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-25-2015, 10:31 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post

Either way, while I doubt that we'll ever agree on this topic, reading your opinions on this topic has been fun.
I think we have similar viewpoints in a lot of other cases that allow our disagreements to remain civil. ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
I find it funny that they introduced Jinyu and Hozen in MoP as if they were planning on adding them as playable races in the future, but failing to really make either of them seem all that appealing to the playerbase. (At least, insofar as I haven't seen anyone here suggest that they want either of them playable.)
I'm not sure that Blizzard made any overtures about the jinyu and hozen being playable at some point (though that's more a function of never offering straight confirmations/denials on that kind of thing) but the fact that the jinyu were using a male night elf skeleton feels like a huge red flag against that concept. I think Blizzard realized that they needed to have more races on Pandaria aside from just the pandaren, and that's ultimately where the two of them ended up coming in: as companion races for the Alliance/Horde (while the hozen also did double duty as a mook race).

All told, though, I don't think either race brings much to the table that wasn't already fully explored in MoP. That's not a mark against their quality, but a realization that they don't really have notable stories to tell beyond what's been told. In that way, they're both a lot like the tuskarr. Is there a point in playable tuskarr post-Northrend?
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-25-2015, 10:45 PM
Afaslizo Afaslizo is offline

Sentinel Queen
Afaslizo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 947

Default

I don't get it why people think that demons, Naga or Dragons should be playable. The first and the last would be ridicously overpowered or would be depowered to be playable and destroy all lore about them (mind this forum and the rant against lore derailment such stand is more than astonishing) and Naga have no legs thus making mounts and two armor slots unavaible to them. The chances for those races is exactly zero and that is well.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Did they just say the BL is worse than the Old Gods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 04-25-2015, 10:51 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
I don't get it why people think that demons, Naga or Dragons should be playable. The first and the last would be ridicously overpowered or would be depowered to be playable and destroy all lore about them (mind this forum and the rant against lore derailment such stand is more than astonishing) and Naga have no legs thus making mounts and two armor slots unavaible to them. The chances for those races is exactly zero and that is well.
Dude, I've been fighting against the naga concept for years. People think the armor slots are a triviality because a bunch of races don't really wear boots and that naga would just mount up sidesaddle.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 PM
ijffdrie ijffdrie is offline

Elune
ijffdrie's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: A rock of certainty amid an ocean of possibility
Posts: 15,788

Default

1. Jinyu
2. Satyr
3. Ethereals
4. Tuskarr
5. Arakkoa
__________________
This is not a signature.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:19 PM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afaslizo View Post
I don't get it why people think that demons, Naga or Dragons should be playable. The first and the last would be ridicously overpowered or would be depowered to be playable and destroy all lore about them (mind this forum and the rant against lore derailment such stand is more than astonishing) and Naga have no legs thus making mounts and two armor slots unavaible to them. The chances for those races is exactly zero and that is well.
Dragons are powerful, it's debatable how powerful Drakonid are though. For all we know they're likely just about as powerful as the playable races.

Asking for playable Drakonid is not the same as asking to play as literal dragons.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 04-25-2015, 11:39 PM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Dragons are powerful, it's debatable how powerful Drakonid are though. For all we know they're likely just about as powerful as the playable races.

Asking for playable Drakonid is not the same as asking to play as literal dragons.
Drakonids, how much is RPG info, are just humans/mortals who were either blessed by the dragons, or spent so much time with the dragons that they took on dragon charateristics.

So I imagine that they would be on par with a worgen who become more powerful then when in their normal form.

But if Blizzard ever wanted to go back to the transforming race, then drakonids would be an easy fix.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:05 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,441

Default

When it comes to naga and the whole armor issue, I say introduce a more amphibious breed of naga that have proper legs and shit. People still get "naga" and you don't have to worry about that armor problem.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:19 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
When it comes to naga and the whole armor issue, I say introduce a more amphibious breed of naga that have proper legs and shit. People still get "naga" and you don't have to worry about that armor problem.
I've proposed that same idea and it was met with "well then they wouldn't be naga anymore" since the whole appeal behind them is playing some kind of humanoid snake creature that slithers around.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:30 AM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Naga are defined by the fact that they have no legs, but a snake's tail.

If you remove the snake tail and replace it with legs, then you have lizard/fishmen.

Then again, I don't see much of an issue with the naga being able to stay naga and have the full option of mounts and armor.

You already have four races who's boots don't cover their feet and two races who look completely silly looking on most mounts. One of the main reason why I had to give up on worgen since you put them on most Alliance-type mounts and their feet practically drag on the ground the entire time because they are so long legged. Tauren, with shorter legs don't have the same issue, but it amuses me to see a tauren on a horse.

Naga can go side saddle, or coil themselves on mounts.

Boots become braclets, leggings go from two legs to one, and the rest of the armor works the same on two legged races.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:36 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ma Caque Attaque View Post
Naga are defined by the fact that they have no legs, but a snake's tail.

If you remove the snake tail and replace it with legs, then you have lizard/fishmen.

Then again, I don't see much of an issue with the naga being able to stay naga and have the full option of mounts and armor.

You already have four races who's boots don't cover their feet and two races who look completely silly looking on most mounts. One of the main reason why I had to give up on worgen since you put them on most Alliance-type mounts and their feet practically drag on the ground the entire time because they are so long legged. Tauren, with shorter legs don't have the same issue, but it amuses me to see a tauren on a horse.

Naga can go side saddle, or coil themselves on mounts.

Boots become braclets, leggings go from two legs to one, and the rest of the armor works the same on two legged races.
Another argument I read is that there exist quests and other objectives that require the use of legs, can't remember what specific examples were given specifically though.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 04-26-2015, 12:39 AM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Another argument I read is that there exist quests and other objectives that require the use of legs, can't remember what specific examples were given specifically though.
The beauty pagent quests.

Orcs/humans wanna look at some good gams, and since naga don't have gams, they can't participate.

Poor naga.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 04-26-2015, 01:24 AM
Frostwolf Frostwolf is offline

Elune
Frostwolf's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 7,441

Default

Well shit, I'm fine with naga becoming full-fledged lizardmen. Lizardmen are the shit.

I don't see naga becoming playable unless they get actual legs.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 04-26-2015, 01:26 AM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostwolf View Post
Well shit, I'm fine with naga becoming full-fledged lizardmen. Lizardmen are the shit.

I don't see naga becoming playable unless they get actual legs.
Wouldn't that pretty much just be playable saurok?

... which would then necessitate the saurok getting a new skeleton since Blizzard used the male worgen skeleton for them, and saberon, and Maloriak-style drakonids...
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 04-26-2015, 01:46 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Darkmoon Card: Beasts

I'm liking that the Nathrezim as a playable race have gained a bit of support lately; the dreadlords definitely have an iconic-enough look. They along with Ethereals would be a good duo for an Argus expansion. But it would be years and years away before the opportunity to add either of them arises - nathrezim are mostly a speculative race at this stage.

Vykrul I think will never happen. They don't really have enough going for them as a unique race. Their home is in faraway Northrend and physically they just look like burly humans. An unlikely candidate I think. We'll definitely see more from the vykrul in the future, but I don't think their role will extend much beyond antagonistic.

Ogres are definitely a possibility someday. I'm pretty sure Blizzard must have already considered them as a potential race in previous expansions and there would be enough creative and popular support to add them. They would need to finally design a female ogre though. Also they might have the problem of not being exciting enough relative to the other faction's new race, like how people thought nobody would play goblins because worgen looked so-cool. Ogres wouldn't feel right outside of the Horde too, Alliance ogres could work but they would feel more at home with the Horde.

Arakkoa I'm not really sure about - but I would say they would be a bit unlikely compared to other candidates. Also it would probably be the shadow arakkoa if they were added; those high arakkoa don't have anywhere near the same level of popular support as their original hunched-down cousins from The Burning Crusade. Would also be difficult seeding them with the rest of the franchise; how do you keep the arakkoa relevant being so distant from Azeroth? What would keep them unique beyond their introductory expansion?

Naga are likely. Probably in the top-three of all non-playable races. But there are a few problems that would have to be resolved first. Like what faction do you send them to - especially if they're likely to a main antagonistic race in the expansion that they are added in? And how do you resolve the graphical issues of them not having any feet? (I guess you could turn the 'Foot' slot into a 'Tail' one?) But if they're not playable in the South Seas expansion, they never will be. The opportunity to have them is when we fight Queen Azshara below the ocean, so if Blizzard doesn't add them then, that would indicate the naga are never going to be playable.

Last edited by Shaman; 04-26-2015 at 02:00 AM.. Reason: Kobold Mage? Gnoll Death Knight? Murloc Shaman? The Mongrel Horde - think about it
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 04-26-2015, 02:11 AM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

A golem/ironborn type of race.

Ruled by the Iron Lady.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 04-26-2015, 02:25 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,568

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterCrow View Post
Wouldn't that pretty much just be playable saurok?

... which would then necessitate the saurok getting a new skeleton since Blizzard used the male worgen skeleton for them, and saberon, and Maloriak-style drakonids...
Funny thing is, except for the drakonid one, they seem to go out of their way to come up with excuses to have NPC's from each of those races captured and put in stocks. Like they figure since they put the time into creating that unique pose set for the worgen skeleton, they'll at least get some mileage out of it by having similarly locked up saurok and saberon.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 04-26-2015, 02:41 AM
Nazja Nazja is offline

Trade Baroness - Moderator
Nazja's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: All the lands of Wonder.
Posts: 40,959

WarCraft 3 B.net Eyeball

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Dragons are powerful, it's debatable how powerful Drakonid are though. For all we know they're likely just about as powerful as the playable races.

Asking for playable Drakonid is not the same as asking to play as literal dragons.
And most low- or mid-level demons aren't more powerful than our characters either. Sure, they took a few steroids, but since WOW (and TFT) they're mostly just "scary" because of their numbers and not their individual power. Killing a dragon is still a big deal, most of the times, or they're young/babies. Demons? We kill 'em in dozens.

I even had to stop myself from mentioning more demon races simply because they are so weak... and allowed themselves to be enslaved by mortals. I wouldn't mind playable fel guards (mo'arg body builders) and sayaad, but they're pets.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 04-26-2015, 03:09 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I even had to stop myself from mentioning more demon races simply because they are so weak... and allowed themselves to be enslaved by mortals. I wouldn't mind playable fel guards (mo'arg body builders) and sayaad, but they're pets.
Although, a Sayaad having a succubus pet would be kinda kinky.
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 04-26-2015, 03:45 AM
Ma Caque Attaque Ma Caque Attaque is offline

Elune
Ma Caque Attaque's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: In your mind
Posts: 12,687

Default

Succubi would never be slaves. It's too kinky for them.

Although from what I understand of lock lore, most of the demons they summon are those they go into a demonic pact with.

So that would be an interesting thing to do with playable demons. They joined because the A/H made a pact with them.

And all this wheeling and dealing makes me want Etherals even more.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 AM
Lord Grimtale Lord Grimtale is offline

Elune
Lord Grimtale's Avatar
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: The Slaughtered Lamb
Posts: 22,046
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

Default

Would people still accept Ethereals if they had a more decidedly physicaly humanoid appearance, particularly in the face to help with customization?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 04-26-2015, 04:17 AM
Afaslizo Afaslizo is offline

Sentinel Queen
Afaslizo's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Berlin
Posts: 947

Default

If people are fine with High Elves even though they are just Blood Elves without green eyes I do not see them being obsessed with Etherals being just bandages with no facial features at all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
Did they just say the BL is worse than the Old Gods?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vaximillian View Post
If BL stands for Blizzard, then yeah.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 04-26-2015, 04:26 AM
Shaman Shaman is offline

Site Staff - Admin
Shaman's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: The Barrens
Posts: 12,448

Mana

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Grimtale View Post
Would people still accept Ethereals if they had a more decidedly physicaly humanoid appearance, particularly in the face to help with customization?
Would kinda defeat the point though if they were just bandaged humans. I think there's definitely enough customization-possibilities with their existing appearance, they wouldn't need to make any radical changes to make ethereals playable. What with different coloured rags/particle effects etc
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
blizz needs polls, data-mining, information gathering, races, survey

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 07:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.