Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-10-2017, 02:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Loot Bag For Kezan! A goblin thread.

Goblins! Might just be my second favorite race behind dwarves. What do you think of them? Where do you want them to go moving forward, beyond their pretty much joke race status? Bilgewater, Steamwheedle, or third party!

It's probably far too late for this but I would like to see the goblins focus on engineering fade away for alchemy. It's always been on the backburner with them, what with the WC3 unit, their racial, and the alchemy modification of hobgoblins (and gilblins?), but with gnomes firmly set as the techie race I want goblins to try and focus more on their alchemical side than engineering.

I'm also really hopeful that Gallywix's (fantastic) new model means he'll be doing something in the near future.

Also should I make a goblin shaman?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:27 PM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Gold (War3)

I'm surprised that Shaman, Mutter or I hadn't already opened this thread. And if we did, we must have given it a terrible name.

Glad to see it finally done!

I too would like to see more of their alchemical prowess. More mutants, more troll-goblin synergy, more alchemical explosions!

And yeah, you should make a goblin shaman. I wish I hadn't race changed my own to a troll... Trolls are great, but she looks far too lanky.
Old 04-10-2017, 03:39 PM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Goblins are entirely okay-ish. The Bilgewater may not be getting quite the screentime they deserve, but they aren't doing too poorly either. Gallywix is still a douche, but MoP (and specifically the Blank Scroll short story) showed us there might be just a touch more to him than meets the eye. So I can't bring myself to feel too strongly about them either way.

That said, when are we going to see that uberzeppelin, Blizzard?
Old 04-10-2017, 03:50 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
I too would like to see more of their alchemical prowess. More mutants, more troll-goblin synergy, more alchemical explosions!
Yes, give me that goblin-troll dynamic! We know goblins and pygmies share a common ancestor, but I like to think trolls do too - and maybe add drogbar to the mix.

Would you guys say the implication of the cave paintings on Lost Isles is that primitive goblins used to live there? Because those are goblin ears for sure but I'm not sure how pygmies could have known what goblins looked like yet.
Old 04-10-2017, 04:41 PM

World Builder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Yes, give me that goblin-troll dynamic! We know goblins and pygmies share a common ancestor, but I like to think trolls do too - and maybe add drogbar to the mix.

Would you guys say the implication of the cave paintings on Lost Isles is that primitive goblins used to live there? Because those are goblin ears for sure but I'm not sure how pygmies could have known what goblins looked like yet.
Well the cave paintings could just be recently added after goblins crashed

Id like Bilgewater goblins to have some tech still but in a post iron horde world I think public opinion would push more for alchemy and influencing giant beasts or pacifying silithid and whatnot

Make supersoldier dire orcs and trolls or pet slimes with the Forsaken

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-11-2017, 03:45 PM

Arch-Druid

I wonder if the process to turn goblins into hobgoblins, when applied to orcs, would just make dire orcs or something else?

Get Hobart Grapplehammer to resolve his gilblin lawsuit and make aquatic soldiers for the naga expac!
Old 04-11-2017, 04:04 PM

World Builder

Quote:
I wonder if the process to turn goblins into hobgoblins, when applied to orcs, would just make dire orcs or something else?

Get Hobart Grapplehammer to resolve his gilblin lawsuit and make aquatic soldiers for the naga expac!
Shark orcs seem like a natural match, surprised we haven't seen them already

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-11-2017, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
Shark orcs seem like a natural match, surprised we haven't seen them already
It's actually troll sharks you have to beware of.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:33 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Oil

Undermine <3 Someday I will return to you, Kezan, my love.
Old 04-11-2017, 04:45 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I wish they'd decide what direction they are taking Gallywix in. The entire starting zone was just a mess. You overthrow him with the help of Thrall who promptly reinstates him as leader of the cartel and conscripts them into the Horde.

That whole affair would have made far more sense if Gallywix escaped and by the time you reach Orgrimmar Gallywix has gotten their first and ingratiated himself to Garrosh who promptly strips you of your position while Gallywix maintains his of trade prince. It also sets up early a reason to hate Garrosh.
"Be it so. This burning of widows is your custom; prepare the funeral pile. But my nation has also a custom. When men burn women alive we hang them, and confiscate all their property. My carpenters shall therefore erect gibbets on which to hang all concerned when the widow is consumed. Let us all act according to national customs."
Charles James Napier
Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 PM

Eternal

Goblin fans! What do you want to see for our return to Undermine?
Old 04-11-2017, 05:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
Goblin fans! What do you want to see for our return to Undermine?
Mount Kajaro's eruption exposed it and it is now a city in a crater. Seedy trade metropolis surrounded on all sides by walls of volcanic rock. Districts for the different cartels, but not really neatly organized. They're all trying and to some degree succeeding to move into each other's turf. Borders are messy. A big palace/office in the middle where the Trade Princes meet and argue. Slums inhabited by trolls made from remnants of the dried up kaja'mite mines.
Old 04-11-2017, 05:44 PM

The Kabal and Jade Lotus!
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Yeah, Mean Streets of Undermine!
Old 04-20-2017, 03:33 PM

Random thought for a goblin subrace that could be a great mob for Undermine: Gremlins!

Basic idea, Gremlins being the "morlock" of goblins. (Or a better warcraft comparision: a devolution similar to the Trogg to Earthen)

After being forced into the deeper parts of Mount Kajaro during the Cataclysm, being cut of from the outside world, and being exposed to alchemical leaks, those goblins mutated and became deranged.

They are rather aggresive, and while they don't remember much about their former lives, they somehow know how to tear any machinery apart with ease.

Could have potential I think.

I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Old 04-20-2017, 04:43 PM

World Builder

Quote:
HEY Dis is the GOONS territory, get ur spooky butts outta here before youse sleep wit da fishes!

My Worldbuilding:
Old 04-22-2017, 12:59 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Old 04-22-2017, 01:15 PM

World Builder

I like Handclaws notion of gremlins as a goblin variant that breaks tech, wrangled by other goblins and eventually helped to get a slightly more stable intellect albeit not as smart as they used to be.

Maybe give them innate-magic rusting powers or the ability to heat metal or electrify / magnetize stuff. S'what I've always done with my original-content gremlins hehe, all that stuff wreak absolute havoc on tech.

My Worldbuilding:

Last edited by Mutterscrawl; 04-22-2017 at 01:16 PM.. Reason: credit where credit is due
Old 05-19-2017, 06:39 PM

Arch-Druid

Where would be a good place to establish a new goblin trading city along the lines of Gadgetzan and Booty Bay?
Old 05-19-2017, 06:47 PM

Master Worldbuilder

Orb of Lightning

Quote:
Where would be a good place to establish a new goblin trading city along the lines of Gadgetzan and Booty Bay?
Last I checked, Warcraft had such an advanced case of gamescaleitis that there was no good spot for much of anything, unless you put it in the middle of the ocean or something.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Old 05-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Gold

Quote:
Have faith citizen, Undermine will (soon™) be open for business.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:28 AM

Loot Bag

Quote:
According to my calculations, the Lost Isles have gained quite a bit of landmass since our last fateful encounter and are ripe for the taking.

They do say that beachfront properties might become hot commodities in the near future...
Old 05-20-2017, 04:36 PM

Wisp

Quote:
Somewhere in the north of the Eastern Kingdoms would fill the best, I'd say. There should be a lot of trade ways circling Gilneas, sooo, on the coast of Gilneas maybe? I'm sure goblins are capable of decontaminating an area big enough.

Tags
goblins, races