Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 07:14 AM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Default WoW's use of animorphs

I am going to start off by saying I have no issues with animorph races.

What I have noticed a lot is Blizzard's heavy reliance of using animorphs when a new race is required. The list has gotten longer as of this expansion. Turning animals into humanoids is a bit lazy. So far the draenei seem to be the only race that was created from a clean slate.

What do you guys think of animorphs in general, and how Blizzard uses them.

Edit: I thought animal people were called animprphs, I thought wrong. Not sure how I got that impression.

Anyway, what I meant in the original post was Blizzards tendency to use anthropomorphics for new race creation, and not how utilized anthropomorphic races are in the setting. Sorry for the confusion.

If it weren't for the retcon and the sudden injection of sci-fi elements, I think draenei would have been better received. I think naga is also pretty good where they aren't obvious animal people, and look more like intelligent animals.

Last edited by TerrorhoofMayo; 04-19-2017 at 10:21 PM..
Old 04-18-2017, 07:38 AM

Elune

Tauren and all of their derivatives are just fine.

Worgen are mostly fine and connect a lot of lore.

Tol'vir were a mistake.

Saberon were a mistake.

If Murloc count, then they're a Warcraft hallmark at this point and just fine as well.

Jinyu are mostly fine.

Hozen are mostly fine.

Pandaren are fine.

Furbolg are fine.

Virmen I am not a fan of, but they're terrible in the way Saberon/Tol'vir are.

My dislike of Saberon and Tol'vir comes from their lack of impact and the possibility of using their lore to supplement other races. I'm sure I forgot some races too, but oh well.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:03 AM

World Builder

I dunno, I think animorphs are tragically underused by Blizzard.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-18-2017, 08:20 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutterscrawl View Post
I dunno, I think animorphs are tragically underused by Blizzard.
Are you being serious right now? Or are you by any chance high?

We've got numerous bovine people, wolf people, bear people and panda bear people, rat people, quite a few number of fish and frog people, horse people, mammoth people, deer and elk people, boar people, hyena people, bird people, outland bird people and corrupted outland bird people, cat people, walrus people, lizard people, snake people, wolverine people, and mantis people.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:21 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

I don't see what use classic animation frame morphing has to do with anything
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aneurysm View Post

We've got numerous bovine people, wolf people, bear people and panda bear people, rat people, quite a few number of fish and frog people, horse people, mammoth people, deer and elk people, boar people, hyena people, bird people, outland bird people and corrupted outland bird people, cat people, walrus people, lizard people, snake people, wolverine people, and mantis people.
There's a lot of them, but only two or three are really used beyond quest mobs.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:44 AM

Keeper of the Grove
BattleTag: MelosEgo#1512

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Tauren and all of their derivatives are just fine.

Worgen are mostly fine and connect a lot of lore.

Tol'vir were a mistake.

Saberon were a mistake.

If Murloc count, then they're a Warcraft hallmark at this point and just fine as well.

Jinyu are mostly fine.

Hozen are mostly fine.

Pandaren are fine.

Furbolg are fine.

Virmen I am not a fan of, but they're terrible in the way Saberon/Tol'vir are.

My dislike of Saberon and Tol'vir comes from their lack of impact and the possibility of using their lore to supplement other races. I'm sure I forgot some races too, but oh well.
You could also say the same of Furbolg and Worgen; I felt Furbolg filled the niche of Worgen quite nicely, whilist still being a uniquely separate race (Not being cursed humans like our playable Worgen) Sadly, Furbolg are probably reserved to be a Non-player race of the Alliance for all eternity for WoW.

I agree with Saberon. The only mistake on the Tol'vir part is the Harrison Jones questline. I wanted more Tol'vir, not less.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:55 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melorandor View Post
You could also say the same of Furbolg and Worgen; I felt Furbolg filled the niche of Worgen quite nicely, whilist still being a uniquely separate race (Not being cursed humans like our playable Worgen) Sadly, Furbolg are probably reserved to be a Non-player race of the Alliance for all eternity for WoW.

I agree with Saberon. The only mistake on the Tol'vir part is the Harrison Jones questline. I wanted more Tol'vir, not less.
Worgen were made to give the Forsaken a foil and they couldn't do that right if they live across the ocean.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:00 AM

Banished

The Tauren never did it. They were too much discount Noble Savage Pre-Columbian North American (aside from Token Magatha). Sure, they might have tried branching out with them recently but that's too little too late.

The Worgen as a werewolf analogue are alright. Them as Alliance members hasn't worked out too hot. Especially since it required losing yet another Human kingdom.

The Pandaren aren't too bad. And it helps that Mists of Pandaria didn't go Full Retard until the Faction War went full throttle.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:09 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
There's a lot of them, but only two or three are really used beyond quest mobs.
What do you mean by "used"?

I'd say the distribution of anthropomorphic races and their prominence, both lorewise and by exposure in-game, is pretty even compared to the more humanoid ones. The only exception to that being which ones are actually playable, of which only two are anthropomorphic.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:16 AM

Eternal

They are all mostly fine.

I just dislike virmen because they stupid, and I wish saberon were more like the leonin of Mtg.

I do love the tol'vir though, being Egyptian and all. Of course I hope they get more to them, but they've already gotten some very cool stuff in Uldum, against Lei Shen, and in Azjol-Nerub.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:18 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

I dislike that most of them have bodies that are far too human. I prefer how Guildwars designs them.
Old 04-18-2017, 09:36 AM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo
The list has gotten longer as of this expansion.
Wait, has it? Are we counting the Highmountain as an entirely separate race here? Or am I forgetting someone?

I'd argue that Blizzard has used the premise pretty well. There haven't been too many and their adaption from animals has been sufficiently varied to not feel artificial.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
What do you mean by "used"?

I'd say the distribution of anthropomorphic races and their prominence, both lorewise and by exposure in-game, is pretty even compared to the more humanoid ones. The only exception to that being which ones are actually playable, of which only two are anthropomorphic.
Used meaning given any story role or lore outside of being quest targets. Like what do we actually know about quilboar, tuskarr, or gnolls? It wasn't even until Legion that we knew why kobolds loved their candles. Saberon are only mentioned once in all of Chronicle and it's while talking about arakkoa.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:38 AM

Elune
BattleTag: Grimtale67#1407

They are very numerous but have more often than not presented good worldbuilding and solid lore. Arakkoa, Tol'vir, and Mantid stand out as the best examples whereas Saberon and Saurok are on the lower tier since they're nothing but quest mobs.

Tauren and Worgen are fine but are deeply lacking in presence and lore compared to other playable races.

Quote:

Well, it would depend on how Furbolg are written. If they're just written as derivatives of Night Elves then I can't imagine they'd be all that unique from how Worgen have turned out. At that point Worgen would still be far more interesting just because they're a shapeshifting race and also the only beast race that aren't primitive.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:43 AM

World Builder

Quote:

It's a joke. I posted a picture of the animorphs book because 'animorphs' refers to that book series and not to animal people, which are anthropomorphic or anthros.

Clearly I was too deadpan.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-18-2017, 10:44 AM

Elune

Quote:
Really? I thought their lore/quests could have been split between Trolls and Humans and worked out just fine. They didn't add anything. What did you like about them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
The Tauren never did it. They were too much discount Noble Savage Pre-Columbian North American (aside from Token Magatha). Sure, they might have tried branching out with them recently but that's too little too late.
This is what made them special. They were just Native American Noble Savage sorts to compare to the Generic European kingdoms of Humans.
Old 04-18-2017, 10:54 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
It's a joke. I posted a picture of the animorphs book because 'animorphs' refers to that book series and not to animal people, which are anthropomorphic or anthros.

I got the joke... his instance on using Animorphs is odd, which is I also made a joke about the early animation technique of that name.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:06 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Really? I thought their lore/quests could have been split between Trolls and Humans and worked out just fine. They didn't add anything. What did you like about them?
How so? Neither Azeroth's humans nor trolls have their societies built around protecting a huge titan facility. The tol'vir are unique in that they're the only flesh-cursed titan-forged race to accurately remember their intended function and still try to follow it, while the rest either forgot their purpose entirely (humans, dwarves and gnomes), had new purposes imposed upon them (vrykul) or assumed grotesquely warped interpretations of that purpose (mogu.)
Old 04-18-2017, 11:31 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asterisk View Post
Used meaning given any story role or lore outside of being quest targets. Like what do we actually know about quilboar, tuskarr, or gnolls? It wasn't even until Legion that we knew why kobolds loved their candles. Saberon are only mentioned once in all of Chronicle and it's while talking about arakkoa.
There's clearly a correlation between a race's in-depth lore development and the magnitude of impact their cultures have on the overall story of Warcraft, anthropomorphic or not. And sure, I can agree that most beastial races have been hit with the fodder-for-others stick, serving only to perpetuate the playable races' story (quilboar/centaur v. tauren, gnolls/kobolds v. humans, etc).

But that doesn't necessarily mean that we don't know anything about their cultures, or can extrapolate from what's presented in-game. Quilboar, for example, I'd assume live in some form of a hunter/gatherer tribal societies. They seem to use pretty basic stone and wooden tools. Their simple homes (small rock/straw huts), as well as the region they inhabit (mostly thinking the Barrens) could lead one to suggest that some of them are somewhat nomadic, following herds of gazelles and whatnot. Other tribes, like the ones inhabiting the southern Barrens, in the Razorfen dungeons, seem more entrenched in their settlement. They've been known to domesticate wolves and boar. Originally a seemingly shamanistic/druidic people (there's plenty of geomancer/thornweaver/etc NPCs), the years following WCIII and leading up to Vanilla WoW had some tribes come into contact with and be manipulated into practising necromancy, as shown in the Razorfen dungeons. They're very territorial, and judging by their encroachment on the tauren starting area, their tribes are also expanding aggressively.

Quote:

I was more under the impression you were joking as well as pointing out that you thought Warcraft lacked beastial humanoid races.
Old 04-18-2017, 11:45 AM

The Sun King

Orc Icon (War3)

I like the ones that have bestial characteristics, but maintain their own unique traits.

Compare Orcs and Quillboar. Both are a play on the original Orc archetype - a brutish race of pigmen. Except that's about it when it comes to what the Quillboar are, while Orcs both look different enough from generic pigmen and have much more nuance to their cultures.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:07 PM

Sentinel Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Wait, has it? Are we counting the Highmountain as an entirely separate race here? Or am I forgetting someone?

I'd argue that Blizzard has used the premise pretty well. There haven't been too many and their adaption from animals has been sufficiently varied to not feel artificial.
I don't know if they count since they're not in WoW, but tortollans.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:11 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mending View Post
I don't know if they count since they're not in WoW, but tortollans.
Hearthstone ain't canon, sadly.
Old 04-18-2017, 12:56 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARM3481 View Post
How so? Neither Azeroth's humans nor trolls have their societies built around protecting a huge titan facility. The tol'vir are unique in that they're the only flesh-cursed titan-forged race to accurately remember their intended function and still try to follow it, while the rest either forgot their purpose entirely (humans, dwarves and gnomes), had new purposes imposed upon them (vrykul) or assumed grotesquely warped interpretations of that purpose (mogu.)
As in Humans have some problems in their desert kingdom and Trolls have their problems with air elementals. While that is an interesting part of it, I don't think it outweighs how little impact the tol'vir have on the overall story.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:31 PM

Time-Lost Proto Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Hearthstone ain't canon, sadly.
Given the fact that quite a few things introduced in Hearthstone have become canon, like Sir Finley Mrrglton, Light Elementals, and the idea of Medivh having been a playboy who threw massive parties at Karazhan in his youth, I wouldn't be surprised if the tortollans are too.

Tags
races, warcraft