Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 04-18-2017, 01:34 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
Really? I thought their lore/quests could have been split between Trolls and Humans and worked out just fine. They didn't add anything. What did you like about them?

This is what made them special. They were just Native American Noble Savage sorts to compare to the Generic European kingdoms of Humans.
But that made them too flat. Humans at least had stuff setting them apart or making them less one-dimensional.
Old 04-18-2017, 01:59 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by Almed View Post
But that made them too flat. Humans at least had stuff setting them apart or making them less one-dimensional.
They could have been less one note if given proper dev time, I agree. Some of the newer stuff given to them proves that.
Old 04-18-2017, 03:11 PM

BattleTag: Omacron#1477

There's a reason Aesop's fables are perennial favorites, we associate certain traits with animals and humanized animals are an easy touchstone. We know what a wolf-man is gonna act like because we know how wolves act. A bison-man is probably going to be sturdy and charge at things, metaphorically and literally. A cat-man is going to be brutal, stealthy and mysterious. Bird-men are going to be majestic.

Warcraft has mined most of the standard, humanoid, non-animalistic races of fantasy; the dwarves, orcs, ogres, elves and the like, and every expansion we get more variants of those as well (WotLK gave us iron and frost dwarves, we got fel and mag'har orcs in TBC, pale orcs in WoD, various breaker sub-sects of Ogres like Ogron in WoD, we got us some new Nightborne in Legion, etc), but it's much harder when you make up a fantasy race from scratch.

We like the Draenei now but there was a huge hullabaloo about them and how they fit into the world during TBC (http://lorelol.ytmnd.com/ should bring back some memories). We didn't know what to expect with the Draenei (even though they sorta kinda were Eredar) and we rejected them. Blizz probably doesn't want to run that risk again, and I can't blame them since their writing tends to suck more than not. They could give us something unique like D&D's Githzerai or Dragon Age's Qunari, or they can play it safe and give us Aardvark-men, because at the very least we've all seen Arthur and know what to expect.
Old 04-18-2017, 05:41 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Lonami#2916

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
There's a reason Aesop's fables are perennial favorites, we associate certain traits with animals and humanized animals are an easy touchstone. We know what a wolf-man is gonna act like because we know how wolves act. A bison-man is probably going to be sturdy and charge at things, metaphorically and literally. A cat-man is going to be brutal, stealthy and mysterious. Bird-men are going to be majestic.
That works, but it's kinda childish. You can create empathic connections of sorts without making it so blatant. You don't need a dog face to represent dog-like behaviors.

Fantasy is in a decline, kinda, because it's so bland and it's all the same Tolkien clones plus humanoid animals wherever you look.

The push from the Lord of the Rings and Harry Potter movies was wasted on the most simplest imitations, and now those are over, fantasy is losing ground once again.

Quote:
Ah, the good, old times. Most of the hate was because of the retcon, to be fair. The worst part is that they could have introduced them with no retcon at all. Silly lazy Blizzard.

Metzen: They are one of the ancient races of Northrend that we haven't spoken of before... because we hadn't made them up before. (laughter)

~Main: Expansion theorycrafting, Expansions list, The Age of Nightmare, Empire of the Tides (coming soon)~
~Fan ficton: Anachronos Journey: The Timeless Heir~ ~Geography of continents series: Old Kalimdor (original), Pandaria~
~Locations as zones series: Azjol-Nerub, Barrow Deeps, Zul'Aman, Demon Hunter zone, Caverns of Time~
Old 04-19-2017, 10:22 PM

Arch-Druid
BattleTag: CJFurious#1908

Sorry guys, edited OP for more clarification.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
I thought animal people were called animprphs, I thought wrong. Not sure how I got that impression.

Anyway, what I meant in the original post was Blizzards tendency to use anthropomorphics for new race creation, and not how utilized anthropomorphic races are in the setting. Sorry for the confusion.

If it weren't for the retcon and the sudden injection of sci-fi elements, I think draenei would have been better received. I think naga is also pretty good where they aren't obvious animal people, and look more like intelligent animals.
Old 04-19-2017, 11:17 PM

World Builder

Quote:
We like the Draenei now but there was a huge hullabaloo about them and how they fit into the world during TBC (http://lorelol.ytmnd.com/ should bring back some memories). We didn't know what to expect with the Draenei (even though they sorta kinda were Eredar) and we rejected them. Blizz probably doesn't want to run that risk again, and I can't blame them since their writing tends to suck more than not. They could give us something unique like D&D's Githzerai or Dragon Age's Qunari, or they can play it safe and give us Aardvark-men, because at the very least we've all seen Arthur and know what to expect.
The big problem with the draenei was people recoiled at the retcon, a properly seeded race that didn't retcon existing lore would be fine regardless of what it looked like.

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 04-20-2017, 06:59 AM

Druid of the Talon

Biggest cancer of the WarCraft and reason I hate WoW.
Taurens - totally ok with this; mythological Minotaurs
Furbolgs and their offshoots - ok... there can be one thing like this, but I'd prefer those irish mythology creatures look different than bipedal bears
Worgens - clearly ok for obvious reason
Tuskarr - well... ok
We have also Gnolls, Kobolds and Pigmen who are classiic fantasy races so ok.

Then WoW has come and you have literally every animal in humanoid form. Wolvar, Catmen, Fishmen, Apemen even fucking rabbitmen.
Wow sucks so hard.
Old 05-10-2017, 03:55 AM

Trade Baroness - Moderator

Question

Bear or Amur tiger people, which of these two would you rather see as a Russia-based race?

What about other animals and countries/cultures?
Old 05-10-2017, 04:13 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nazja View Post
Bear or Amur tiger people, which of these two would you rather see as a Russia-based race?

In Soviet Russia animals morph into you.

Rather than being a humanoid with beastial features, you transform into beasts with human features (example; the dog-man, a quadrupedal canine, with human ears, a human nose, no fur, hands rather than paws, like some real nightmare fuel shit).
Old 05-10-2017, 06:05 AM

Eternal

Quote:
We don't have an Indian culture yet. Although the Naga are an Indian mythological creature, their culture in WoW is nothing like (as far as I know) India.

So... Elephant people? Snek people? Sacred tauren?
Old 05-10-2017, 06:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
We don't have an Indian culture yet. Although the Naga are an Indian mythological creature, their culture in WoW is nothing like (as far as I know) India.

So... Elephant people? Snek people? Sacred tauren?
Draenei, although only through the Sinti and Roma.

Tigers and snow leopards would also work for India, but I am biased.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:32 AM

Elune

Quote:
The Jinyu have some Indian influences, with their sacred rivers, the ranks of their caste system and some of their dress styles.

Obviously, we need elephant-like water striders.
Old 05-10-2017, 06:54 AM

Huntress

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mertico View Post
As in Humans have some problems in their desert kingdom and Trolls have their problems with air elementals. While that is an interesting part of it, I don't think it outweighs how little impact the tol'vir have on the overall story.
Huh a race of desert humans could have been pretty cool, though could potentially work better with Vrykul just to give them something besides generic viking race.
Old 05-10-2017, 08:01 AM

Arch-Druid

Arakkoa have some vaguely Indian vibes too, with their caste system and heavy use of a weapon India invented (chakrams).
Old 05-10-2017, 08:30 AM

Eternal

Aha, so India is divided between various races, cool. I guess the part we don't really have is the Muslim aspect (Taj Mahal and shit) that might be more ethereal.

I guess that leaves African cultures, like the Zulu. Do trolls cover that? I don't think so.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:33 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Aha, so India is divided between various races, cool. I guess the part we don't really have is the Muslim aspect (Taj Mahal and shit) that might be more ethereal.

I guess that leaves African cultures, like the Zulu. Do trolls cover that? I don't think so.
The Trolls kinda cover it? Or at least, the Trolls take some amount of inspiration from various African cultures. I mean, vodoun is the obvious inspiration for Troll voodoo, and the Trolls' various masks seem to mimic African tribal masks.

But off the top of my head, I don't know that we have a race that we can point to and say "Oh yeah, these guys are straight-up lifted from [specific African folklore]".
Old 05-10-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kellick View Post
The Trolls kinda cover it? Or at least, the Trolls take some amount of inspiration from various African cultures. I mean, vodoun is the obvious inspiration for Troll voodoo, and the Trolls' various masks seem to mimic African tribal masks.

But off the top of my head, I don't know that we have a race that we can point to and say "Oh yeah, these guys are straight-up lifted from [specific African folklore]".
Tol'vir.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:40 AM

Elune

Well, there's obviously the Tol'vir, but not really much for more southern cultures that I can think of.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Site Staff - Moderator
BattleTag: Pyrolithic#1538

Quote:
Tol'vir.
Hah! Yep, you're right. We do have Egypt represented pretty obviously already.
Old 05-10-2017, 11:44 AM

Pygmies, but those are just a bad joke.
Old 05-10-2017, 02:20 PM

Elune

Quote:
Pygmies, but those are just a bad joke.
Despite the name, they've really got nothing African going. The Lost Isles ones in particular seem based more on some Islander stereotypes (the zombies from Haiti, while the 'sacrifice to appease volcano' is something that pops up for a variety of groups, though most famously polynesians)

Someone once argued to me that Gadgetzan's got some malinese influences in its architecture, and while I can kinda see where he'd be coming from, if it's deliberate those influences are very weak. Weak enough that we could have another malinese-influence group, hint hint.

Anyone know if the quilboar buildings are based off anything in particular?

Last edited by ijffdrie; 05-10-2017 at 02:28 PM..
Old 05-10-2017, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ijffdrie View Post
Despite the name, they've really got nothing African going. The Lost Isles ones in particular seem based more on some Islander stereotypes (the zombies from Haiti, while the 'sacrifice to appease volcano' is something that pops up for a variety of groups, though most famously polynesians)
And the name has Greek origins, so it doesn't really have to count. That said, you could say that the Haitian zombies provide another link to Africa.
Old 05-13-2017, 08:12 AM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gnivil View Post
Huh a race of desert humans could have been pretty cool, though could potentially work better with Vrykul just to give them something besides generic viking race.
What about sand vikings?
Old 05-13-2017, 08:55 AM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by TerrorhoofMayo View Post
What about sand vikings?
By the way, the recent Valarjar tablets thing shows us that the vrykul did go occasionally to the deserts to hunt aqir.
Old 12-10-2017, 09:00 PM

Arch-Druid

Blizzard laziness strikes again with the addition of a fox and a turtle race in BfA, the vulpera and tortolla.

Tags
races, warcraft