Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 02-10-2010, 06:02 PM

Glaive Thrower

Default Sunwell Back, Lich King Dead...

Given these two facts, how can blood elves still be blood elves and not High Elves? The distinction's superficial for god sakes. It's only been, what, five years since the term was coined?
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:06 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Because then they wouldn't have sloppy reasons to hate the Alliance!
Old 02-10-2010, 06:07 PM

Elune

Have you thought this through? The political division that separated them ran deeply and now they have history and entangling alliances behind it. The Blood Elves named themselves such in honor of their fallen brethren. Those two occurrences you mentioned don’t change what happened.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:15 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Have you thought this through? The political division that separated them ran deeply and now they have history and entangling alliances behind it. The Blood Elves named themselves such in honor of their fallen brethren. Those two occurrences you mentioned don’t change what happened.
What political division?
and even worse,
WHAT HISTORY?
it happened FIVE YEARS AGO!

I should point out that the Blood Elves ARE High Elves, and that they lost the SAME brethren
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:28 PM
Slowpokeking

There is almost, no government for the high elves, only some groups, most of them were just individuals still served the Alliance. I guess many of them were not Quel'Thalas' citizen, belong to some other nation like Dalaran.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:30 PM

Revenant - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yuber8900 View Post
Because then they wouldn't have sloppy reasons to hate the Alliance!
I am taking this side.

In Warcraft III, there was no split, just a racial rename. Then, Horde or not, Blizzard expanded on the Warcraft III units' demonic vibe and made the blood elves darker with the mana-draining abilities. But then, post Burning Crusade alpha, the crystals with angry eyes around Quel'thalas are not demonic at all, and only Kael's "evil" blood elves even thought about getting high on the demonic, as opposed to just leeching normal magic. There is a bit of Warlockery around Silvermoon, but that feels like a remnant of scrapped content to me. Was it to make the blood elves less evil feeling? I do not know what motivation the elves still have for hating each other. The blood elves are no longer demonic, and they never really were. I guess Kael's guys took their racial hatred of humans back to those who were left in Silvermoon. The current high elves were elsewhere.

However, as the OP, by his first few posts and his signature, seems to ba a hardliner for his own views of canon, I doubt he thought that much about it. Perhaps "ball of spite" is a better phrase than "hardliner". But who am I to judge one so new? I hate hypocrites, so I shall try and avoid being one.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.

Last edited by Revenant; 02-10-2010 at 06:34 PM.. Reason: Typo.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:36 PM
Slowpokeking

Some high elves even choose to serve the Scourge, like we saw in Scholomance, so it's perfectly reasonable for some high elves to stay in the Alliance.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:40 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I am taking this side.

In Warcraft III, there was no split, just a racial rename. Then, Horde or not, Blizzard expanded on the Warcraft III units' demonic vibe and made the blood elves darker with the mana-draining abilities. But then, post Burning Crusade alpha, the crystals with angry eyes around Quel'thalas are not demonic at all, and only Kael's "evil" blood elves even thought about getting high on the demonic, as opposed to just leeching normal magic. There is a bit of Warlockery around Silvermoon, but that feels like a remnant of scrapped content to me. Was it to make the blood elves less evil feeling? I do not know what motivation the elves still have for hating each other. The blood elves are no longer demonic, and they never really were. I guess Kael's guys took their racial hatred of humans back to those who were left in Silvermoon. The current high elves were elsewhere.

However, as the OP, by his first few posts and his signature, seems to ba a hardliner for his own views of canon, I doubt he thought that much about it. Perhaps "ball of spite" is a better phrase than "hardliner". But who am I to judge one so new? I hate hypocrites, so I shall try and avoid being one.
Unapologetic, Relentless, Fearless crusader against retcon and ally to all who fight for the rights of the original fans.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Sentinel Queen

Why are they still called Blood elves if they hate Kael'thas?
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM

Eternal

They named themselves blood elves in honor of their fallen brethren, not in honor of Kael.
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monsund View Post
Why are they still called Blood elves if they hate Kael'thas?
"The few of us that remain now call ourselves blood elves, in homage to our murdered people."
Old 02-10-2010, 06:57 PM

Eternal

I think the biggest divide is that the Blood Elves joined former enemies, which was probably more unthinkable to the High Elves than being mana vampires. I do find it odd that Dalaran wasn't more significantly Blood Elf than High Elf, as I would assume those who were more obsessed with the arcane became a Blood Elf.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:01 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
Unapologetic, Relentless, Fearless crusader against retcon and ally to all who fight for the rights of the original fans.
Whoa...looks like I get to add another new member to my ignore list.

There's having an opinion and being a dick. You're the latter.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:02 PM
Slowpokeking

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
I think the biggest divide is that the Blood Elves joined former enemies, which was probably more unthinkable to the High Elves than being mana vampires. I do find it odd that Dalaran wasn't more significantly Blood Elf than High Elf, as I would assume those who were more obsessed with the arcane became a Blood Elf.
Because the high elves were only individuals. They did not have their government, only chose to stay because their own love for the Alliance.
Also, the elves already resigned from the Alliance a few year before the Scourge invasion.

"In consequence, there are so few high elves left on Azeroth today that they cannot be considered a race in anything other than the biological sense. High elves do not gather in any significant numbers, nor do they act as a coordinated whole. They are a very small group of individuals scattered all over the world. As such, they do not have common opinions or goals. Indeed, modern high elves cannot even truly be said to have a culture--only a past filled with glory and regret."

http://www.worldofwarcraft.com/info/...opedia/429.xml
Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM

The draconic Titleless - Mod
Send a message via AIM to HalfElfDragon Send a message via MSN to HalfElfDragon Send a message via Yahoo to HalfElfDragon

I'm fairly certain there is minor genetic difference, like the green eyes and sorta darker skin, but the Blood Elf/High Elf divide is mostly political. Most Blood Elves don't want to be High Elves and vice versa.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porimlys View Post
See! Not everyone on the internet is so stubborn they can't have their opinions changed
Old 02-10-2010, 07:07 PM

Eternal

Quote:
Originally Posted by HalfElfDragon View Post
I'm fairly certain there is minor genetic difference, like the green eyes and sorta darker skin, but the Blood Elf/High Elf divide is mostly political. Most Blood Elves don't want to be High Elves and vice versa.
QFT.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:13 PM

Elune

Quote:
What political division?
and even worse,
WHAT HISTORY?
it happened FIVE YEARS AGO!

I should point out that the Blood Elves ARE High Elves, and that they lost the SAME brethren
Are you being willfully ignorant? The Blood and High Elves were divided philosophically and then allied with different factions and became entrenched with them. And do you honestly think nothing can happen in five years (even though its around 8-9 now since the fall of Quel‘thalas)? There is still very active hostility between the two groups that came into existence and that doesn’t just go away because Arthas died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Whoa...looks like I get to add another new member to my ignore list.

There's having an opinion and being a dick. You're the latter.
Agreed. Honestly, if you’re just going to non-stop complain about new lore in some futile crusade to turn back time, we really don’t need that here. Its not really constructive at all, and comes off a whininess.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:29 PM

Elune

Quote:
Given these two facts, how can blood elves still be blood elves and not High Elves? The distinction's superficial for god sakes. It's only been, what, five years since the term was coined?
Well in regards to the blood elves becoming their own race, you said that it was "only five years" ago but the Sunwell being fixed has probably only happened 5 weeks ago the way time goes in the Warcraft universe. That is if the blood elves can even change back into high elves. Their genes were affected after awhile.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:34 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Agreed. Honestly, if you’re just going to non-stop complain about new lore in some futile crusade to turn back time, we really don’t need that here. Its not really constructive at all, and comes off a whininess.
Isnt that what this forum is for?
A safe haven for people unhappy with the direction of Warcraft Lore?
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Elune

Quote:
Not at all. This is a forum for people wishing to discuss the lore in an environment free from people that have preconceived notions and get militaristic and insultive when something happens that they don't agree with.

Like what you're doing. Twat.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:36 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Uh, no.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:38 PM

Glaive Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Not at all. This is a forum for people wishing to discuss the lore in an environment free from people that have preconceived notions and get militaristic and insultive when something happens that they don't agree with.

Like what you're doing. Twat.
Any insults I gave were in response to the sycophantry and invalidation I received FIRST. I never once pre-emptively insulted anyone.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:39 PM

Ranger

Quote:
No it is a safehaven to discuss lore, whether you like that lore or not. In fact, I would have thought most of us are here because overall we love the Warcraft lore. We still complain a hell of a lot about lore matters, but we are civil about it and dont resort to name calling just because someone has a different opinion.

(ok, sometimes people resort to namecalling, but it is fairly rare.)

Eternal

What Exxile said.

Elune

Quote:
Any insults I gave were in response to the sycophantry and invalidation I received FIRST. I never once pre-emptively insulted anyone.
The attitude of "I'm better than you all and correct regardless of what the people that write the lore i claim to be a fan of" is an insult. So yeah, you did, were, and are. Twat.