Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #101  
Old 02-11-2010, 03:59 PM
Slowpokeking
Guest
Posts: n/a

Default

Kael's voice actor was the same in WC3, but the tone was changed, higher, more vampirc.
Reply With Quote
  #102  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:11 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Revenant View Post
I smell a continuity error! How could the Scourge have done that? Really. They lack the presence to do so, unless Arthas did it (which he could not have, as the building was not there). Did the demons kill them off after some unseen, never-mentioned second invasion of the Sunwell before players get there?
Maybe they built it up, but being on the Dead Scar it crumpled the walls and the scourge there are risen blood elves that died in the collapse. And the reason the inner sanctum is fine and not broken down is because Kael went "Lol oops" and used more powerful protection spells. See? Problems solved. Too bad it probably isn't the definition Blizzard would go with.
Reply With Quote
  #103  
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
Revenant Revenant is offline

Revenant - Moderator
Revenant's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 9,278

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Maybe they built it up, but being on the Dead Scar it crumpled the walls and the scourge there are risen blood elves that died in the collapse. And the reason the inner sanctum is fine and not broken down is because Kael went "Lol oops" and used more powerful protection spells. See? Problems solved. Too bad it probably isn't the definition Blizzard would go with.
I guess it can fit.
__________________
^Ignored again.

Okay. It is cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonneillon View Post
It'd be nice if they actually finally gave us things they cut or under utilized 10 years ago.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
Ten.

Years.
Reply With Quote
  #104  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:31 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Maybe the ground between Silvermoon and the "island" crumbled making the island?
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #105  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:34 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolandius View Post
Maybe the ground between Silvermoon and the "island" crumbled making the island?
Too late for that, since Christie wrote RotLK and had the scene where Arthas freezes all the water between Silvermoon and QD.
Reply With Quote
  #106  
Old 02-11-2010, 07:45 PM
Rolandius Rolandius is offline

Elune
Rolandius's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: United States of America
Posts: 6,588

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
Too late for that, since Christie wrote RotLK and had the scene where Arthas freezes all the water between Silvermoon and QD.
I guess we can go with that.
__________________
"Sometimes the first duty of intelligent men is the restatement of the obvious."
George Orwell
Reply With Quote
  #107  
Old 02-11-2010, 10:55 PM
tufy tufy is offline

Arch-Druid
tufy's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,652

Default

Quote:
Really, the biggest issue is that in WC3 the Sunwell was in the MIDDLE OF SILVERMOON.
That wasn't the original plan. According to certain informers, Quel'Thalas story was supposed to be considerably different, with Arthas coming here back in human campaign, explaining how he could get around the kingdom's considerable defenses - because he knew them. Sunwell was supposed to be on an island behind Silvermoon, which is still evidenced on ingame map, placing the Sunwell Grove on an island north of Silvermoon.

This is really the whole point of this discussion - Sunwell looks as it does due to game mechanics needed. If it were in a forest, we could just walk to it and down Killy, problem solved. But since it has structures around it, whether they make sense or not lorewise, we can't. It's the same with War3 - Sunwell is in Silvermoon simply because gameplay mechanics required it to be.

There could be another lore-based origin of the fortress, btw. According to RPG books, Blood Elves lost most of Quel'Thalas, except a fortress on an island of Quel'Danas, from where they were striking at the Scourge with their Dragonhawks. We now know that Quel'Danas and Sunwell Isle are one and the same, meaning the fortress could have been built around Sunwell after Silvermoon's fall (possibly to allow Blood Elves to attempt and reignite it), but still under heavy undead siege at the time (explaining the damage). At least that's the only realistic explanation for it, tbh.

Side note: did you notice that Sunwell in the video has the same color as the restored Sunwell? Just pointing out the obvious :p
Reply With Quote
  #108  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:04 AM
ScytheRexx ScytheRexx is offline

Loremaster
ScytheRexx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,490

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tufy View Post
That wasn't the original plan. According to certain informers, Quel'Thalas story was supposed to be considerably different, with Arthas coming here back in human campaign, explaining how he could get around the kingdom's considerable defenses - because he knew them. Sunwell was supposed to be on an island behind Silvermoon, which is still evidenced on ingame map, placing the Sunwell Grove on an island north of Silvermoon.
You are pointing out the obvious. We all knew Sunwell Grove was supposed to have the Sunwell, but that does not stop the fact it was in the middle of Silvermoon during the mission. It could still be considered a rather large "change" for those that don't read into the lore, to suddenly see the Sunwell move from the middle of Silvermoon to an island far to the north of it.

Quote:
Side note: did you notice that Sunwell in the video has the same color as the restored Sunwell? Just pointing out the obvious :p
And the same color as the Sunwell in WC3. The Sunwell has always been yellow, the SUNwell, get it? The fact that the "Light" is yellow just means the Sunwell will look the same in color, but different in core energy.
Reply With Quote
  #109  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:27 AM
11b(elf) 11b(elf) is offline

Critter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2

Default

Hi im new so dont rip me to shreads,Elfs and especially high/blood elfs are my favourite in the entire warcraft lore..in my opinion High and blood elves are but two ends of the same stick..they are the same even if their willing to admit it or not and political differences aside..I really think that in reality :blood elves=high elves and vice verca..they have not 10.000 years of evolving from night elves as the higborne had to transform into high elves..and with the sunwell now restored I cant see any thing else than game mecanics preventing the two factions of the same race to unite once again surely "blood elves" are but an alternative name for high elves in tribute to their fallen brethren,or at least it started out as such ..this rises again another question in my mind..game mechanics aside..do you think high elves that are neutral are welcome in quel,thalas? its their home after all...
Reply With Quote
  #110  
Old 02-12-2010, 07:42 AM
ScytheRexx ScytheRexx is offline

Loremaster
ScytheRexx's Avatar
Join Date: May 2006
Posts: 6,490

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11b(elf) View Post
they have not 10.000 years of evolving from night elves as the higborne had to transform into high elves..
You can't use the "not enough time" arguement when it comes to evolution in a world of magic. While it took thousands of years for the Night Elves to evolve into the High Elves, it took only a few seconds for the Night Elves to evolve into the Naga or the Satyr.

The Blood Elves become magic addicts that looked anywhere for sating the hunger. This could have been arcane fonts, captured demons, etc. One of the noticeable changes that happened to Blood Elves over time was the green eye shift, caused by demonic consumption. Anything involving demons can, and often will, cause a change.

I think of the Blood Elves and High Elves to be similar to the relationship between the Mag'har and the Greenskins. They at the core are still the same race, but they have enough physical differences to be considered unique from eachother.
Reply With Quote
  #111  
Old 02-12-2010, 09:28 AM
tufy tufy is offline

Arch-Druid
tufy's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 1,652

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
And the same color as the Sunwell in WC3. The Sunwell has always been yellow, the SUNwell, get it? The fact that the "Light" is yellow just means the Sunwell will look the same in color, but different in core energy.
That was a tease to Gortrash and his mighty Sunwell picture, silly

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScytheRexx View Post
You can't use the "not enough time" arguement when it comes to evolution in a world of magic. While it took thousands of years for the Night Elves to evolve into the High Elves, it took only a few seconds for the Night Elves to evolve into the Naga or the Satyr.
It also took a single patch to go from Blood Elves (Kael's bunch) to Felblood and from Blood Elf (Kael) to... erm... undead withered (Kael in MGT)? or whatever he is there. Oh, that Blood Elf in 1k Needless actually goes BE->Whithered->BE in a couple of seconds :p
Reply With Quote
  #112  
Old 02-12-2010, 12:32 PM
Ku'ja Ku'ja is offline

Elune
Ku'ja's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Cumbria, England !!
Posts: 8,080
BattleTag: Eregos#2913

Horde Flag

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
Given these two facts, how can blood elves still be blood elves and not High Elves? The distinction's superficial for god sakes. It's only been, what, five years since the term was coined?
erm Five years ?... I think you need to do abit more research there im sure its been either 9 or 10 years from once the Blood Elf term was used and since the Lich King (Arthas) died.
__________________

Run
Reply With Quote
  #113  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:02 PM
Fordragon Fordragon is offline

Elune
Fordragon's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Furillo, Furillo Province, Grand Duchy of Furillo
Posts: 5,517

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ku'ja View Post
erm Five years ?... I think you need to do abit more research there im sure its been either 9 or 10 years from once the Blood Elf term was used and since the Lich King (Arthas) died.
What? The Lich King died "now." It is the most recent event in the timeline.
__________________
"Damn, snowcone, what were you for Halloween, a bitch? You best be ready for this shit, Cranberry Juice, cuz you bout to get FUCKED." -L Dubba E
Reply With Quote
  #114  
Old 02-12-2010, 01:06 PM
Gurtogg_Bloodboil Gurtogg_Bloodboil is offline

Elune
Gurtogg_Bloodboil's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 9,393

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
What? The Lich King died "now." It is the most recent event in the timeline.
That's why he there was ten years between the events of WCIII and Arthas' death, "now."

Really, its about 8-9. WoW intro says 5 years since Hyjal. The fall of Quel'thalas happened some time before that. Then one year of vanilla passes, 1 year of TBC passes, and 1 year of wrath passes and we're around 8-9 years.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #115  
Old 02-12-2010, 02:58 PM
Fordragon Fordragon is offline

Elune
Fordragon's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Furillo, Furillo Province, Grand Duchy of Furillo
Posts: 5,517

Default

Well when you say it, it makes sense; he just phrased it confusingly.
__________________
"Damn, snowcone, what were you for Halloween, a bitch? You best be ready for this shit, Cranberry Juice, cuz you bout to get FUCKED." -L Dubba E
Reply With Quote
  #116  
Old 02-13-2010, 05:58 PM
General RAAM General RAAM is offline

Owl Scout
General RAAM's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 14

Default

Gameplay decision by Blizzard.
__________________
General RAAM

In Wrynn We Trust
Reply With Quote
  #117  
Old 02-16-2010, 03:51 AM
Ovid Ovid is offline

Druid of the Claw
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 116

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozdormu View Post
I think ive lost count off all the trolls/twats in this thread :S
there is a pretty high troll to twat ratio. i'm not going to lie.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 04:52 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.