Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Fan Works

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:45 PM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default Looking for a Special Kind of Fanfiction.

I am talking about fan fiction stories that completely ignore the novels and the Burning Crusade.

Can anyone direct me to some?

(Sincere request)
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:48 PM
Wulfang Wulfang is offline

Eternal
Wulfang's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,533

Default

Kerrah's Blood & Light. You might as well read his other fics since they introduce characters that later enter B&L, like Redrock Isle and The Rage.

Be warned, though, that Redrock Isle does have a draenei character and, briefly, a naaru, but none appear again and Kerrah has said he regretted ever involving BC lore in his fics.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-10-2010, 06:55 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
I am talking about fan fiction stories that completely ignore the novels and the Burning Crusade.

Can anyone direct me to some?

(Sincere request)
What is it with people and the draenei hate? Can't we all just accept the fucking retcon and move on? (Sincere request)
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:42 PM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default

kerrah eh?
Thanks! Will get right on reading them.
I've scoured through ff.net a lot and kept finding so many stories that start out good but THEN come the draenei and I'm like "ugh".
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:54 PM
Mark_Romaneck Mark_Romaneck is offline

Eternal
Mark_Romaneck's Avatar
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Mexico, Jalisco, Guadalajara
Posts: 3,527

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
What is it with people and the draenei hate? Can't we all just accept the fucking retcon and move on? (Sincere request)
NEVER!
__________________
Quote:
Megatron: You've forgotten something else: I am your prisoner. I've been granted conditional bail while we look for the Knights of Cybertron. Where in my bail terms does it say—where precisely does it say—that I have to risk my life to save a handful of strangers? Where does it say that?

Skids taps Megatron's Autobot badge.

Skids: Right. There. What does that badge even mean to you? How has wearing it forced you to modify your behaviour? I'm serious! How has being an Autobot in any way prevented you from doing exactly what you want? Because if the answer is "it hasn't"—then nothing you've said or done in the last six months counts for anything.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-10-2010, 07:58 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_Romaneck View Post
NEVER!
You silly banana hammock. :p
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:01 PM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
What is it with people and the draenei hate? Can't we all just accept the fucking retcon and move on? (Sincere request)
Accept a retcon?
Accept a retcon that also makes an entire race of Mary-Sues?
Forget it.
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:03 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
Accept a retcon?
Accept a retcon that also makes an entire race of Mary-Sues?
Forget it.
How are the draenei Mary-Sues?
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:11 PM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exxile87 View Post
How are the draenei Mary-Sues?
"We're demons but like good demons, and we're best buddies with the SOURCE of the light, we are always good and do everything right and now we're gonna solve ALL the alliance's problems, we're the same species as Archimonde but its ok because we're EXILES, we're completely without flaws and are infused with the light, ooh check out our accents and our sexy demon bodies!"

I could go on forever, there's a thousand reasons why the whole race is Mary Sueish.
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:13 PM
Wulfang Wulfang is offline

Eternal
Wulfang's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,533

Default

They are not demons, the naaru aren't the source of the Light and there are examples of draenei racism/intransigence.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:15 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
"We're demons but like good demons, and we're best buddies with the SOURCE of the light, we are always good and do everything right and now we're gonna solve ALL the alliance's problems, we're the same species as Archimonde but its ok because we're EXILES, we're completely without flaws and are infused with the light, ooh check out our accents and our sexy demon bodies!"

I could go on forever, there's a thousand reasons why the whole race is Mary Sueish.
You mean there are a thousand ways you can turn that and still be wrong? I'm with you. Twat.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:22 PM
Fordragon Fordragon is offline

Elune
Fordragon's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Furillo, Furillo Province, Grand Duchy of Furillo
Posts: 5,517

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
They are not demons, the naaru aren't the source of the Light and there are examples of draenei racism/intransigence.
I always figured they were using the Broken as expendable laborers like some sort of Industrial Robber Barons.
__________________
"Damn, snowcone, what were you for Halloween, a bitch? You best be ready for this shit, Cranberry Juice, cuz you bout to get FUCKED." -L Dubba E
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:24 PM
Wulfang Wulfang is offline

Eternal
Wulfang's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,533

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I always figured they were using the Broken as expendable laborers like some sort of Industrial Robber Barons.
Same thing as I did. Unbroken pretty clearly shows they became second-class citizens in charge of menial labor.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:29 PM
Fordragon Fordragon is offline

Elune
Fordragon's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Furillo, Furillo Province, Grand Duchy of Furillo
Posts: 5,517

Default

I assumed that was more of a mid-level government decision than an executive one, though. Velen's pretty much as white hat as they come. That dude would refuse a blowjob coupon if he thought it would inconvenience someone.
__________________
"Damn, snowcone, what were you for Halloween, a bitch? You best be ready for this shit, Cranberry Juice, cuz you bout to get FUCKED." -L Dubba E
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordragon View Post
I assumed that was more of a mid-level government decision than an executive one, though. Velen's pretty much as white hat as they come. That dude would refuse a blowjob coupon if he thought it would inconvenience someone.
Velen is fucking awesome like that.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-11-2010, 05:56 AM
Kerrah Kerrah is offline

Elune
Kerrah's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Finland
Posts: 11,000

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarondirebear View Post
kerrah eh?
Thanks! Will get right on reading them.
I've scoured through ff.net a lot and kept finding so many stories that start out good but THEN come the draenei and I'm like "ugh".
Despite what Wulf said, you can start reading Blood and Light without missing much. The story is about a war between the Scourge and the mortals of Azeroth, but it's the Lich King invading Lordaeron instead of them invading Northrend. (I started writing it several months before the second expansion pack for WoW was announced.)

Here's a link: http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=2087
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pliny the Elder
True glory consists in doing what deserves to be written; in writing what deserves to be read; and in so living as to make the world happier for our living in it.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-17-2010, 06:27 AM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah View Post
Despite what Wulf said, you can start reading Blood and Light without missing much. The story is about a war between the Scourge and the mortals of Azeroth, but it's the Lich King invading Lordaeron instead of them invading Northrend. (I started writing it several months before the second expansion pack for WoW was announced.)

Here's a link: http://forums.scrollsoflore.com/showthread.php?t=2087
merci beaucoup.
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-17-2010, 08:40 AM
Jigsaw Complex Jigsaw Complex is offline

Sentinel Queen
Jigsaw Complex's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stormwind
Posts: 871
Send a message via AIM to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via MSN to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via Yahoo to Jigsaw Complex

Default

I'm sorry man, but now you're just making up reasons for hating the Draenei. If somebody else changed blizzard's story, nobody would care. But blizzard themselves did all the real changes. Warcraft as you love it is over.

And just as an eff woi eye

Draenei are indeed Eredar.
They do in fact, come from the same planet.
They are related.
The Natherzim corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around. But Sargeras corrupted the Draenei.
The "lost ones" are corrupted draenei.
Azeroth is a kingdom but is referred mainly now as a planet, Garona is half draenei and half orc, and Nerzuhl had a wife named Rulkan.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, neither of them are wrong, and it is up to Blizzard to decide what happened with the GAME that THEY made!.

You acting like we're saying Moses didn't part the red sea, he lifted it and walked under it. It's all a game, and you're taking it too seriously. I can see you as the young man that too Vampire too seriously and killed his GFs parents in FL.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The thought of Genn and them entering Darnassus amuses me.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.

We are Sex Bob-Omb! And we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:43 AM
SomeRandomEvilGuy SomeRandomEvilGuy is offline

Eternal
SomeRandomEvilGuy's Avatar
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: England, Great Britain, Soon to be United States of Europe
Posts: 2,538

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Complex View Post
The Natherzim corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around. But Sargeras corrupted the Draenei.
Could've been any demon that corrupted Sargeras, not just the Nathrezim, and it could be that noone corrupted him persay and he just decided that the Titan's were wrong.
__________________
"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the soldier, not the organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.
It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protestor to burn the flag."
- Father Dennis Edward O'Brian, USMC
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-17-2010, 11:46 AM
Wulfang Wulfang is offline

Eternal
Wulfang's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,533

Default

I think the newest version, from the Encyclopedia, is that he just realised one day that that the universe was inherently flawed and so he set out to burn it down and create a new, flawless universe out of it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-17-2010, 12:08 PM
Jigsaw Complex Jigsaw Complex is offline

Sentinel Queen
Jigsaw Complex's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stormwind
Posts: 871
Send a message via AIM to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via MSN to Jigsaw Complex Send a message via Yahoo to Jigsaw Complex

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomEvilGuy View Post
Could've been any demon that corrupted Sargeras, not just the Nathrezim, and it could be that noone corrupted him persay and he just decided that the Titan's were wrong.
Yeah, i agree with that. I would like to think a Titan is beyond corruption. I honestly think he stepped back and looked at his task and saw he was fighting a losing battle and lost his "faith" so to speak.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
The thought of Genn and them entering Darnassus amuses me.

'Yea see that purple light? Just walk into that to enter the city. Just trust me you'll be fine!'.

We are Sex Bob-Omb! And we're here to make you think about death and get sad and stuff!

"By and large, language is a tool for concealing the truth." - George Carlin
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-17-2010, 03:56 PM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,568

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfang View Post
I think the newest version, from the Encyclopedia, is that he just realised one day that that the universe was inherently flawed and so he set out to burn it down and create a new, flawless universe out of it.
And not just the newest version. Ever since the WC3 manual (which was the original source of lore pertaining to the origins of Azeroth and the Burning Legion) and to this day, it's never stated that the demons whose actions drove Sargeras into his depression directly afflicted him with corruption or were remotely aware of the effect they were having on him. Regardless of the retcons and alterations, it remains stated that his fall into darkness was the result of Sargeras' own observations of the beings he defeated and the flawed conclusions he arrived at in the process, and not caused by his enemies deliberately corrupting him against his will.

In a way it's why the very question "who actually corrupted Sargeras" is inherently flawed and imprecise; nobody corrupted him, because his every choice was self-realized without the knowledge of the demons. The creatures he fought were merely the inspiration for his descent to madness. There's nothing to indicate they had any idea that their actions were causing Sargeras to doubt himself as he defeated them and locked them away.

It's almost like asking "who corrupted Gul'dan?" Gul'dan arrived at his own conclusions and decisions without needing somebody to trick him into it or warp him into a monster with dark magic; he simply observed what was going on around him and arrived at his own twisted, self-serving conclusions. Though they hold the blame for enabling him, one can't blame Ner'zhul or Kil'jaeden for Gul'dan's actual villainous tendencies because everything he did was the result of his own rationalization, just as Sargeras' corruption was the result of his own rationalization, however incorrect it was.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-17-2010, 04:38 PM
Exxile87 Exxile87 is offline

Elune
Exxile87's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: One nation, under Bloo
Posts: 7,656
BattleTag: Exxile87#1525
Send a message via AIM to Exxile87 Send a message via Yahoo to Exxile87

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Complex View Post
I'm sorry man, but now you're just making up reasons for hating the Draenei. If somebody else changed blizzard's story, nobody would care. But blizzard themselves did all the real changes. Warcraft as you love it is over.

And just as an eff woi eye

Draenei are indeed Eredar.
They do in fact, come from the same planet.
They are related.
The Natherzim corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around. But Sargeras corrupted the Draenei.
The "lost ones" are corrupted draenei.
Azeroth is a kingdom but is referred mainly now as a planet, Garona is half draenei and half orc, and Nerzuhl had a wife named Rulkan.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, neither of them are wrong, and it is up to Blizzard to decide what happened with the GAME that THEY made!.




You acting like we're saying Moses didn't part the red sea, he lifted it and walked under it. It's all a game, and you're taking it too seriously. I can see you as the young man that too Vampire too seriously and killed his GFs parents in FL.
Bolded part sig'd.
__________________
Khadgar: Prepare to heroically CTRL-E through the portal with me!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-17-2010, 05:00 PM
Wulfang Wulfang is offline

Eternal
Wulfang's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2005
Location: Portugal
Posts: 3,533

Default

While I completely agree with what you said, the main problem is that the new version of Sargeras' backstory does cast reasonable doubt on how he became The Great Enemy of All Life.

In the original, the Pantheon chose him to fight and imprison the demons they had encountered all throughout the cosmos. Eventually, the atrocities he witnessed made him start to doubt the righteousness of his and the Titans' goal and he then decided that they were wrong, that the concept of order was contrary to the inherent chaos and depravaty of the universe. He then embraced such chaos and depravity, freed the demons he once fought and, now one of them, he assembled them into an army to undo the Titans' crusade to bring order.

In the newest version, Sargeras one day realized that the Titans' goal of creating order was hopeless, for the universe was fundamentally flawed and such a flaw made their goal impossible. He reasoned that, for such a state to be possible, the universe needed to be destroyed and made anew without this defect and only then could true order be achieved. The Encyclopedia then goes on to say that, to achieve this goal, "he created the Legion, whose ranks he bolstered by creating demons".

The problem lies in that each version carries with it a different goal for Sargeras, as well as possible different explanations for what demons are.

The original version makes it so that he turned away from the Titans' vision and embraced evil because he believed it to be the true state of the universe, a conclusion he reached after witnessing the depravaties the demons he fought carried out with glee. Said demons were creatures naturally spawned from the chaotic energies of the Twisting Nether, and he made them into an army after his turn to evil so he could stop the Titans' 'unnatural' crusade to bring order.

The newest version, on the other hand, makes it so that he still believes in the Titans' vision, but that the universe needs to be destroyed and made anew so that such a vision is possible. Furthermore, the flaw which made him reach this conclusion is never pointed out in this version and it also casts reasonable doubt on the origin of demons - for someone who read the Encyclopedia version first, it wouldn't be hard to reach the conclusion that it was Sargeras who initially created demons to be the members of his army.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-21-2010, 11:02 AM
aarondirebear aarondirebear is offline

Glaive Thrower
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 55

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigsaw Complex View Post
I'm sorry man, but now you're just making up reasons for hating the Draenei. If somebody else changed blizzard's story, nobody would care. But blizzard themselves did all the real changes. Warcraft as you love it is over.

And just as an eff woi eye

Draenei are indeed Eredar.
They do in fact, come from the same planet.
They are related.
The Natherzim corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around. But Sargeras corrupted the Draenei.
The "lost ones" are corrupted draenei.
Azeroth is a kingdom but is referred mainly now as a planet, Garona is half draenei and half orc, and Nerzuhl had a wife named Rulkan.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, neither of them are wrong, and it is up to Blizzard to decide what happened with the GAME that THEY made!.

You acting like we're saying Moses didn't part the red sea, he lifted it and walked under it. It's all a game, and you're taking it too seriously. I can see you as the young man that too Vampire too seriously and killed his GFs parents in FL.
The warcraft III manual was published first, therefore it is the CORRECT version of events.

Stop trying to invalidate me.
__________________
Draenei are not Eredar.
They do not come from the same planet.
They are not related in any way.
The Natherzim and Eredar corrupted Sargeras, NOT the other way around.
The "lost ones" are the real draenei, not the alliance race add in the Burning Crusade.
Azeroth is a kingdom, Garona is half human, and Nerzuhl does not have a dead wife.
If something in a novel contradicts warcraft, warcraft II or warcraft III, it is the NOVEL that is WRONG.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.