Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #26  
Old 05-12-2016, 07:00 PM
SmokeBlader SmokeBlader is offline

Elune
SmokeBlader's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 30,980

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkphoenix View Post
As a side note, I've found that there's been little talk over this book from... practically anyone. Blizzard hasn't hyped it, and the community doesn't seem to care about it at all. Do we put this down to it just getting lost amoungst everything that's come out recently, it being crap, or a combination of the two?
The positive responses to it are a minority. I assume the sales were even more of a stinker. Re-releasing it as a ''updated and totally improved'' edition is bad marketing as it implies people who bought the first one wasted their money and they have to buy the actual good product all over. I saw the original for 40 bucks at a book store. For the ''quality'' it had that price is insane.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 05-12-2016, 07:39 PM
Darkphoenix Darkphoenix is offline

The Knight-Lord
Darkphoenix's Avatar
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Sydney, Australia
Posts: 662

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
The positive responses to it are a minority. I assume the sales were even more of a stinker. Re-releasing it as a ''updated and totally improved'' edition is bad marketing as it implies people who bought the first one wasted their money and they have to buy the actual good product all over. I saw the original for 40 bucks at a book store. For the ''quality'' it had that price is insane.
To the optimistics among those who disliked the first edition, this second edition was a chance for Blizzard to prove that they had their back; a last chance. They blew it. It's such a shame, because, if they would of hit the nail on the head with this one, we could of had a solid, reliable reference guide for people like me to use to teach others by; and more would of followed. There are just too many inconsistencies and errors -- too much laziness -- for this thing to be a sound suggestion to others who want to start with Warcraft's story. The UVG looks beautiful, sure... but that's essentially as far as it's worth goes.

Another wasted opportunity for something great to be placed on the shelf next to WoD and their other let downs.
__________________
- Arrodis on Moon Guard-US. Wikia Page.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noitora View Post
I hope you get raped harder than an African woman during ethnic cleansing
- Noitora, "A Couple of Illidan Spoilers" Thread (Pg. 17; Post #339)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 05-13-2016, 03:34 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

MoP is year 30, WoD is year 31. So Garrosh and the Iron Horde form a giant army and bases all over Dreanor, as well as building a massive dark portal, all in less then a year.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 05-13-2016, 04:03 PM
handclaw handclaw is offline


handclaw's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2006
Posts: 3,338

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
MoP is year 30, WoD is year 31. So Garrosh and the Iron Horde form a giant army and bases all over Dreanor, as well as building a massive dark portal, all in less then a year.
Obviously he invoked the power of "warpten".
__________________


I am handclaw and this is my favorite thread on Scrolls of Lore!... oh wait, nope... Just another bitching thread.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 05-13-2016, 04:10 PM
Galdus Galdus is offline

Banished
Galdus's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2015
Posts: 2,346

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
MoP is year 30, WoD is year 31. So Garrosh and the Iron Horde form a giant army and bases all over Dreanor, as well as building a massive dark portal, all in less then a year.
You're NOW noticing Metzen and Co. can't do logistics?
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 05-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Ethenil Ethenil is offline

Eternal
Ethenil's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,670

Default

Double Post ><
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 05-13-2016, 06:50 PM
Ethenil Ethenil is offline

Eternal
Ethenil's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2015
Posts: 2,670

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
MoP is year 30, WoD is year 31. So Garrosh and the Iron Horde form a giant army and bases all over Dreanor, as well as building a massive dark portal, all in less then a year.
No, it was one year for us, but more time for them.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 05-14-2016, 12:16 AM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethenil View Post
No, it was one year for us, but more time for them.
It was less then a year, since MoP goes throughout year 30, and the dark portal starts at year 31.

So Draenor is Narnia?
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 05-14-2016, 04:50 AM
Whitrix Whitrix is offline

Warden
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 731

Default

I don't know the years that transcurred in Draenor, but Garrosh could have been sent from our 30ADP to AU Draenor -XBDP, lived there X years and then opened the portal to our 31ADP, right? Why should time be parallel?
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 05-14-2016, 06:35 AM
Mordecay Mordecay is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 685

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
I don't know the years that transcurred in Draenor, but Garrosh could have been sent from our 30ADP to AU Draenor -XBDP, lived there X years and then opened the portal to our 31ADP, right? Why should time be parallel?
That was hinted to be the case in one of the Blizzcon presentations, IIRC. Two years on Draenor to built all the machinery and stuff.

It has never been mentioned again tho.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 05-14-2016, 07:54 AM
Tilgath Tilgath is offline

Eternal
Tilgath's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,616

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
I don't know the years that transcurred in Draenor, but Garrosh could have been sent from our 30ADP to AU Draenor -XBDP, lived there X years and then opened the portal to our 31ADP, right? Why should time be parallel?
That's what I figured as well. One year from Azeroth's perspective, but several passed on Draenor from when Garrosh first arrived.
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:32 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
That's what I figured as well. One year from Azeroth's perspective, but several passed on Draenor from when Garrosh first arrived.
So our roughly one year spent on Draenor is only a few months on Azeroth? Makes things too confusing, like why Azeroth and Draenor seem to have the same day/night/year time cycles.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 05-14-2016, 09:58 PM
Tilgath Tilgath is offline

Eternal
Tilgath's Avatar
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 2,616

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
So our roughly one year spent on Draenor is only a few months on Azeroth? Makes things too confusing, like why Azeroth and Draenor seem to have the same day/night/year time cycles.
No, I'm not saying that there's a discrepancy between the passage of time on Azeroth and Draenor. I'm saying when Kairoz brought Garrosh to Draenor, they arrived several years in the past.

Keep in mind, AU Draenor isn't just an alternate, non-exploded Draenor. It's the past of an alternate Draenor. If the Iron Horde opened a portal to AU Azeroth, Stormwind would be ruled by King Llane with little Prince Varian at his side.

Last edited by Tilgath; 05-14-2016 at 10:06 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 05-15-2016, 12:03 PM
Omacron Omacron is offline


Omacron's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: New York
Posts: 34,378
BattleTag: Omacron#1477

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tilgath View Post
No, I'm not saying that there's a discrepancy between the passage of time on Azeroth and Draenor. I'm saying when Kairoz brought Garrosh to Draenor, they arrived several years in the past.

Keep in mind, AU Draenor isn't just an alternate, non-exploded Draenor. It's the past of an alternate Draenor. If the Iron Horde opened a portal to AU Azeroth, Stormwind would be ruled by King Llane with little Prince Varian at his side.
I still think WoD should've ended with Jaina going back in time, convincing Daelin to form the Alliance 30 years early and invade Draenor with the Highlords of Azeroth.
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 05-15-2016, 01:28 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omacron View Post
I still think WoD should've ended with Jaina going back in time, convincing Daelin to form the Alliance 30 years early and invade Draenor with the Highlords of Azeroth.
Metzen, now I know it's you!
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 05-15-2016, 01:30 PM
Yorenec Yorenec is offline

Arch-Druid
Yorenec's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 1,228
BattleTag: Stncold#1786

Default

The tweet is gone now but I'm pretty sure Loreology said that Garrosh was on Draenor for two years before the invasion started.

Which has always kinda bugged me that Kairoz's corpse must have sat in pristine condition undisturbed and uneaten by wild animals for two years but I guess that can be explained away by timey-wimey magical jumbo somehow.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 05-15-2016, 02:12 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

I don't get why they are so afraid to do time skips. Even something like 1 year between the end and beginning of an expansion. When you have a major war every year, you probably couldn't sustain a kingdom, let alone at least 5.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 05-15-2016, 02:23 PM
Noitora Noitora is offline

Elune
Noitora's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Florida
Posts: 34,693
BattleTag: Chillman#1339

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
I don't get why they are so afraid to do time skips. Even something like 1 year between the end and beginning of an expansion. When you have a major war every year, you probably couldn't sustain a kingdom, let alone at least 5.
Why would a time skip magically fix all the armies and economy? It's not like they don't have reserve members or rookies being trained.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fojar View Post
Yeah but where would this forum be if not for people speculating endlessly about things Blizzard doesn't give a shit about
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leviathon View Post
SoL: 20 something know it alls telling other 20 something know it alls they know everything.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kobebyarlant View Post
All this faction bitching and people arguing with each other and it's Fojar of all people that comes in with reasonable positivity.
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 05-15-2016, 03:09 PM
Hagrid Hagrid is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Hagrid's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 681

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
MoP is year 30, WoD is year 31. So Garrosh and the Iron Horde form a giant army and bases all over Dreanor, as well as building a massive dark portal, all in less then a year.
Yeah, and what have you done this year? Pitiful!

But I like the Narnia comparison. It's the only feasible explanation, I think.
__________________

Last edited by Hagrid; 05-15-2016 at 03:13 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 05-15-2016, 03:12 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Yeah, and what have you done this year? Pitiful!
You sound like my father
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 05-15-2016, 03:16 PM
Hagrid Hagrid is offline

Keeper of the Grove
Hagrid's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Hogwarts
Posts: 681

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
You sound like my father
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 05-15-2016, 07:29 PM
MisterCrow MisterCrow is offline

Eternal
MisterCrow's Avatar
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Tucson, AZ
Posts: 4,421

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagrid View Post
Yeah, and what have you done this year? Pitiful!

But I like the Narnia comparison. It's the only feasible explanation, I think.
I'm... not sure that's a Narnia comparison. In Narnia time moved differently than how it did on Earth, so spending months in Narnia was like spending hours on Earth. (Been awhile since I read the books so I might not have the right scale).

I think what's being described here is that Garrosh is broken out of prison in 30 ADP, goes with Kairoz back into time to -2 BDP on the alternate past Draenor, and then spends 1-2 years building things up before opening the DP to modern Azeroth. We spend a year there fighting him, so 31 ADP for the Draenor campaign is a reasonable descriptor.
__________________
Lore Observation, Systems Design, and other science dropped at Power Word: Remix


Expect nothing and anything will surprise you.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 05-15-2016, 08:39 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

So he goes back in time from year 30, then spends several years building the Iron Horde, opening a portal to year 31. So technically, he went back in time to alt Draenor while Azeroth was still in year 29, meaning there was a Garrosh doing stupid shit, and the same Garrosh in an alt dimension forming an Iron Horde. See how it would just make more sense having there be a year or two time skip between SoO and 6.0?
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 05-16-2016, 05:42 PM
Whitrix Whitrix is offline

Warden
Join Date: Jan 2014
Location: Barcelona
Posts: 731

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AckAck View Post
So he goes back in time from year 30, then spends several years building the Iron Horde, opening a portal to year 31. So technically, he went back in time to alt Draenor while Azeroth was still in year 29, meaning there was a Garrosh doing stupid shit, and the same Garrosh in an alt dimension forming an Iron Horde. See how it would just make more sense having there be a year or two time skip between SoO and 6.0?
What.
He went to AU Draenor in MU Azeroth's year 30.
Years pass by as he forms the Iron Horde.
He opens a portal to MU Azeroth's year 30-31.

I sincerely don't understand what reasoning you have about this.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 05-16-2016, 05:59 PM
AckAck AckAck is offline

Keeper of the Grove
AckAck's Avatar
Join Date: Apr 2015
Posts: 612

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whitrix View Post
What.
He went to AU Draenor in MU Azeroth's year 30.
Years pass by as he forms the Iron Horde.
He opens a portal to MU Azeroth's year 30-31.

I sincerely don't understand what reasoning you have about this.
If you are saying he spends several years in Draenor after going there at year 30 MU Azeroth, then he'd have to technically travel back in time in MU too, in order to spend several years on Draenor and still come back in year 31.

Are you saying, he technically goes back in time from his perspective too? God this is confusing haha
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
lore, world of warcraft

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:03 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.