Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Site News

Old 05-21-2007, 02:47 PM

Eternal

Yeah, from the gameplay demo you could see that the mothership has HUGE firepower but if it acts alone or if it´s focused in the right way, it´s just another unit to die.

The game still works on rock paper scisser.

Warlock, Lord of Scrolls of Lore: Shut up, Timolas
Old 05-21-2007, 02:54 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

It wasn't as powerful as the demo implied. They gave it a huge amount of energy.
Old 05-21-2007, 03:25 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldrius View Post
It wasn't as powerful as the demo implied. They gave it a huge amount of energy.
Yup, supposedly after using its "big" abilities, it uses loads of energy and thus can not use its attacks until it charges, leaving it vulnerable to attack. The demo they gave the ship unlimited energy so they could show off all the abilities it can use.
Old 05-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerrah
What the heck are you smoking?

Battlecruiser = British
Valkyrie = German
I didn't mention Valkyries because they only appeared in the expansion.

But Battlecruisers are quite definitely Russian. I don't know what kind of British accent you're thinking of, but the only unit in Starcraft that sounds British is the Science Vessel, and that's a robot.
Old 05-21-2007, 07:55 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative View Post
I do belive I should grace this topic with my glorious presence.

First, hooray Starcraft.

But I am a little nervous about the Mothership and those super units. If there is one thing I don't like in RTS it is the Godmode Weapons. They just beat the point of the game.

But, I have faith in Blizzard.
They do remain militarily inclined, even if they seem unbalanced at the moment. It's a far cry from the all-too-frequently-used, non-military methods of winning in some RTS's out there like Wonder-building and "researching" to win by default. I dunno about everyone else, but I play an RTS expecting some fighting to occur, not so I can build my gigantic army only to lose to some punk in the far corner of the map who tech-jumped their way to a diplomatic victory over everyone else without firing a single shot. They can save that stuff for the turn-based genre, thank you very much.

The idea of the Mothership and other potential "super-units" does answer for some of the technoloy which conveniently vanished from the Protoss arsenal in SC, since they started out capable of scorching entire planets from orbit, yet suddenly they lost that power as soon as the Terran campaign ended. That capability shouldn't have just disappeared into thin air just because Tassadar stopped pressing the button to use it. You'd think they would still be willing and able to cleanse a planet like Char of all surface organisms if they knew that the Zerg had completely supplanted the indigenous life forms, as one would expect of nearly any planet they held for an extended time.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:09 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Well, Tassadar refused to use it, and then by the time the other protoss ran into Zerg they were on Aiur, and they didn't exactly want to blast their own planet.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:32 AM

Loremaster

Quote:
Well, Tassadar refused to use it, and then by the time the other protoss ran into Zerg they were on Aiur, and they didn't exactly want to blast their own planet.
True, but one would think that with such firepower, they could have t least incinerated everything around the Overmind prior to the final assault upon it (or at the very least, been engaging in orbital bombardments of regions that they completely lost to the Zerg.

It wouldn't provide much of a mission at the game's end, but from a practicality standpoint it would make sense to simply annihilate the hive clusters from orbit rather than fight through them all to reach the Overmind.

It's part of the inherent drawbacks of portraying space warfare: in reality, by the time we reach other worlds to the degree that planets are waging war on each other, it'll probably consist of striking from vast distances away with largely computerized weaponry through a combination of precision attacks and large-scale "bombs" used on enemy infrastructures rather than sending massive numbers of foot soldiers and mechanized armor units to do the job, since the sheer distances involved render the idea of infantry somewhat obsolete: however fast modes of transportation become, having soldiers who run around on foot operating at the physical speed of human beings would bottleneck the efficiency of many other technological davancements.

The Starcraft way is certainly more fun than the more likely reality of interstellar combat, though.
Old 05-22-2007, 05:15 AM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

Yeah I've always wondered, if even the Terrans themselves could nuke Korhal into space dust why don't they just use big time guns on the enemy.
I don't mind anyway. Would be a plot killer if Kerrigan got nuked into oblivion without a single duel onscreen.
Old 05-22-2007, 06:38 AM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
I didn't mention Valkyries because they only appeared in the expansion.

But Battlecruisers are quite definitely Russian. I don't know what kind of British accent you're thinking of, but the only unit in Starcraft that sounds British is the Science Vessel, and that's a robot.
Battlecruiser Pilot is clearly Brrrrrrritish. If you can't make that out, you've clearly got no ability in seperating diffrent nationalities from the speakers English pronounciation.

If you want to hear examples of Russian English, play Red Alert.

"Wje wjill bjury thjem!

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-22-2007, 11:55 AM

Site Staff - Moderator

It's not a very good Russian accent, but it's absolutely not any type of British accent.
Old 05-22-2007, 01:16 PM

Loremaster

I'm still waiting for someone to say "Nucular wessels"
Old 05-22-2007, 04:43 PM

Send a message via MSN to Timolas

The Magistrate aka Battleship Commander always struck me as being Russian. If he was British I'td have been something more like
"Hey, mate how's it hangin'? Need anythin' bombarded?"

EDIT:
Speaking of the Magistrate does anyone else remember the Starcraft Demo? The human colony finds itself surrounded by unidentified 'xenomorphs' and suddenly these Cerebrus guys show up to help save the day, rescue the scientists and along with Edmund Duke, eradicate the infestation?
Though the Magistrate was a southerner, not really Russian.
Old 05-22-2007, 04:48 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salomit View Post
The Magistrate aka Battleship Commander always struck me as being Russian. If he was British I'td have been something more like
"Hey, mate how's it hangin'? Need anythin' bombarded?"

EDIT:
Speaking of the Magistrate does anyone else remember the Starcraft Demo? The human colony finds itself surrounded by unidentified 'xenomorphs' and suddenly these Cerebrus guys show up to help save the day, rescue the scientists and along with Edmund Duke, eradicate the infestation?
Though the Magistrate was a southerner, not really Russian.
Stop with the smokin' Sal, you're not making any sense.
Old 05-23-2007, 07:40 AM

Arch-Druid

I say Zerg's superweapon is a huge, flying... Zergthing.

Terran will use .... a nuclear wessel!
Old 05-23-2007, 12:32 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Battlecruiser Pilot is clearly Brrrrrrritish. If you can't make that out, you've clearly got no ability in seperating diffrent nationalities from the speakers English pronounciation.
Uh, no. I have met British people and I have met English-speaking Russians.

From the way he says, "Battlecruiser Operational" it's immediately obvious that that's not a British accent. The "a" soud is more of an aa (as in a sheep's baa), and the emphasis lands on the "Cru." The "u" does not have a dipthong (I swear to god, that's what it's called), as it would in British English. Basically, it doesn't sound like "Crew," but more like "Cruu." Overall, what he says sounds more like "BaattelCRUzer OperAYshonal."

Also, Timolas, the Magistrate used the same portrait as the Battlecruiser Pilot, but he does not use the same voice. He was clearly a Southerner.

Last edited by Flamestrider; 05-23-2007 at 12:34 PM..
Old 05-23-2007, 12:37 PM

Elune

Darkmoon Card: Blue Dragon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamestrider View Post
Uh, no. I have met British people and I have met English-speaking Russians.

From the way he says, "Battlecruiser Operational" it's immediately obvious that that's not a British accent. The "a" soud is more of an aa (as in a sheep's baa), and the emphasis lands on the "Cru." The "u" does not have a dipthong (I swear to god, that's what it's called), as it would in British English. Basically, it doesn't sound like "Crew," but more like "Cruu." Overall, what he says sounds more like "BaattelCRUzer OperAYshonal."
Actually I am willing to submit to my defeat, since I haven't played the game for about 5 years or so. I just have a very strong memory of a British accent.

Damn I need to find a "best sellers" edition from some store. They all sold out within a day of SC2s announcement.

Co-creator of UFS, a joint urban fantasy setting.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:29 PM

Loremaster

I know I am coming late to the party, but the Battlecruiser does have a Russian accent.

And so people can refresh their memories, check the link below.
Attached Files
File Type: zip BC.zip (422.4 KB, 56 views)
Old 05-23-2007, 04:39 PM

Sentinel Queen

http://pc.gamespy.com/pc/starcraft-2/790195p2.html

Quote:
One of the most surprising revelations in the team's presentation was that StarCraft II will have the same number of units as the original game. That means that for every new unit added to a sides' army, one had to come out. Apparently the team did this for both gameplay and design reasons. Limiting the number of units forced the team to focus on exactly what each unit was expected to do and why it should be there. There were some iconic units like the Zealots, Marines and Zerglings that no one could imagine the game without, but there were other calls that were apparently quite painful to make. Pardo seems to feel that forcing the team to make these painful choices will result in a better game by avoiding extraneous units that never get used.
Scary... I wonder what units will end up being dumped. Personally I just hope the Stalkers won't replace Dark Templar.
Old 05-23-2007, 04:49 PM

Priestess of the Moon

I really wonder if Nova will somehow play a part in the story line. If I recall correctly Kerrigan is collecting psychics and infesting them. It the hopes of creating someone like her(Although I don't know why). All attempts thus far have failed. But considering Nova is the most powerful psychic in all the Terran Dominion(possibly stronger than Sarah Kerrigan(uninfested) herself) she would probably have the highest chance of successfully being infested.
Old 05-23-2007, 05:54 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tysar View Post
Scary... I wonder what units will end up being dumped. Personally I just hope the Stalkers won't replace Dark Templar.
Personally I hope they didn't get rid of the Goliath, and if they did, they better add another awesome small mech based unit to take its place.

Other units I hope return...

Archons
Hydralisks
Wraiths
Carriers
Lurkers

Lets make a list of the units we know are returning, at least based on the gameplay video.

Protoss
Zealots
Probes

Terran
Marines
SCVs
Seige Tanks
Battlecruisers
Dropship
Ghosts

Zerg
Zergling
Mutalisks
Old 05-23-2007, 06:10 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
It the hopes of creating someone like her(Although I don't know why).
Because she's lonely and everybody hates her? She's one of a kind.

And the infestation has nothing to do with power, it's about genetic compatibility. However, I do agree that Kerrigan will probably attempt to turn Nova into another infested ghost.
Old 05-23-2007, 06:57 PM

Loremaster

Quote:
Because she's lonely and everybody hates her? She's one of a kind.

And the infestation has nothing to do with power, it's about genetic compatibility. However, I do agree that Kerrigan will probably attempt to turn Nova into another infested ghost.
If Nova is even IN Starcraft II, you mean.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:06 PM

Loremaster

If they mean the original game, that might not leave much room to work with. Remember that prior to the expansion, the Dark Templar wasn't even a functional unit, being untrainable and only used for special story-related situations in the campaign. They didn't even exist in multiplay. Hopefully they won't just cop out and throw in some lame reason that Zeratul's the only Dark Templar involved in the fighting for the sake of multiplayer balance within the limited unit-type structure.

Given Starcraft's phenomenal success, it'd be all too tempting to just make the new one shinier and otherwise identical out of fear of breaking what worked before. It would be truly sad if we find out every single unit is essentially just a 3D version of the old ones, with the same rates of fire, proportional hit points and identical tactical applications. Some people out there accuse Blizzard of never really innovating, but every game has at least had something new over the old ones. Hopefully they won't end up just selling everyone the exact same game again with new graphics and a different story. Especially since, far as I can tell, every picture is top-down. If SC2 lacks even WC3's in-game camera flexibility, it'll look an awful lot like an outright rehash.
Old 05-23-2007, 08:43 PM

Site Staff - Moderator

Quote:
If Nova is even IN Starcraft II, you mean.
They're going to need some new ghost character. Nova has the name recognition, and I see aboslutely no reason why she wouldn't be in it.
Old 05-23-2007, 09:36 PM

Loremaster

I think Nova will be in the game, in essense she is a lot like the "Thrall" of the StarCraft Universe at this point.

Was being introduced in a game that was cancelled.

The cancelled game was turned into a book.

Also, Blizzard is not going to use all the same characters. We know some of the old favorites will return, like Zeratul, Kerrigan, Raynor, and Mengsk, but we still have a lot of ground that needs to be covered.

Right now, on the list above, Mengsk is the only guy that is part of the Terran Dominion (Confirmed the group we play in the Terran Campaign), but as the overlord type character, I don't expect to see him around the maps a lot. Thus we will need someone to be the new Raynor, Kerrigan, Zeratul, or Fenix, the hero that runs around with the forces rather then sitting up on a throne on Korhal.

Nova fits well because she is supposedly the NEW Kerrigan, the operative and assassin that works privatly with Mengsk, and thus adding her cancelled game and noval, is almost a sure thing for StarCraft 2.