Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > WarCraft Discussion > WarCraft Lore Discussion

Old 11-25-2011, 02:47 PM

Banished

Default Warcraft Legal System

I'm just wondering, since this is a medieval story with some steam punk and other elements involved, and it does have a legal system/law, where would the Horde court be?

And would the judge be an Orc? Troll? Tauren? And who would they be inclined to favor in cases?

Certainly the Forsaken would win the least, no?

Last edited by Gadinhad; 11-28-2011 at 04:32 PM..
Old 11-25-2011, 02:58 PM

Arch-Druid

Orc, because they're the most numerous. The Horde is majoritarian like that.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:01 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Trial by combat.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:03 PM

Banished

If someone is sentenced to something, they don't get to challenge the Warchief for example to try and get out of it, right?
Old 11-25-2011, 03:09 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadinhad View Post
If someone is sentenced to something, they don't get to challenge the Warchief for example to try and get out of it, right?
From what I can tell the warchief's word is law, which can trump conventional means of settling disputes. But I imagine, given their less developed society, that they probably have a number of options available. Again, trial by combat, consulting shamans and elders, or taking it up with the city guard, etc.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:14 PM

Site Staff - News
BattleTag: Greyhame#1747

There's also possibly doing a task to make up for the deed you did.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:37 PM

Arch-Druid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Trial by combat.
This isn't bad.

On an unrelated note, between Orgrimmar and Undercity, the Horde's not lacking Gregor Cleganes and Oberyn Martells these days...
Old 11-25-2011, 04:46 PM

Eternal

If I had to guess....Each "faction" has its own laws.

There are distinct laws for the tauren, for the Forsaken (this we do know of), for the Orcs, for the Blood Elves, and for the Goblins.

Areas which are distinctly theirs usually fall under their jurisdiction however the Warchief (due to his rank of Warchief) can usually overule other laws if he desires so.

Likewise, there are probably also cultural taboos which only effect the certain races probably (think the night elves ban of magic).

That's just my theory.
Old 11-25-2011, 05:07 PM

Keeper of the Grove

Mak'gora. It'd make sense that it would be set up similarly to how it was explained in the Shattering. Without the Duel-to-death rules and obvious backstabbing of course.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:46 PM

Eternal

Krom'gar wasn't court-martialed in Stonetalon, and I wasn't offered a lawyer when I was accused of being his accomplice or allowed to plead my case in Ashenvale... it was all Hellscream's word as law.

But I think even with the Alliance, when there is a traitor we are never asked to capture him so that he can be placed before the justice system, we're just supposed to bring his head back. The only enemy I ever remember being apprehended was Hogger.
Old 11-25-2011, 08:48 PM

Eternal

Anyone else feel the title of this thread is... misleading? I was expecting a flame war, and instead found intelligent discussion on the Horde's legal system (or lack there of in favor of a system imposing severe punishments under martial law).
Old 11-25-2011, 09:10 PM

Elune
BattleTag: Erthad #1438

Footman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vexander View Post
Anyone else feel the title of this thread is... misleading? I was expecting a flame war, and instead found intelligent discussion on the Horde's legal system (or lack there of in favor of a system imposing severe punishments under martial law).
I think it is a SoL mini meme.
Old 11-25-2011, 09:13 PM

Guru of Gilneas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erthad View Post
I think it is a SoL mini meme.
One of my finest memetic contributions to this forum.
Old 11-26-2011, 02:04 AM

Eternal

Quote:
It's only weird in that we started talking about something unrelated to the title right away instead of on page 2.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:22 AM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyJP View Post
Krom'gar wasn't court-martialed in Stonetalon, and I wasn't offered a lawyer when I was accused of being his accomplice or allowed to plead my case in Ashenvale... it was all Hellscream's word as law.

But I think even with the Alliance, when there is a traitor we are never asked to capture him so that he can be placed before the justice system, we're just supposed to bring his head back. The only enemy I ever remember being apprehended was Hogger.
Yeah, seems like they are a little more barbaric then I figured.

I was going to mention something along the lines of Thrall's Doomhammer being the legal system from Cycle of Hatred.

But it seems alright. They are at war after all, if someone commits a heinous enough crime, they'll just hunt him down. It seems logical that there's no time for 'court business'.

Another example I thought of, if someone from a race, let's say the Tauren gets in trouble, and the Warchief has targeted him, perhaps the Tauren faction leader can object that, and perhaps overrule it, but only due to respect.
Old 11-26-2011, 06:37 AM

Problemsolver

Quote:
Another example I thought of, if someone from a race, let's say the Tauren gets in trouble, and the Warchief has targeted him, perhaps the Tauren faction leader can object that, and perhaps overrule it, but only due to respect.
During Thrall's ruling of the Horde I do indeed think that would be possible, considering his friendship with Cairne. Thrall seemed to have good relationships with most of the faction leaders of the Horde, and if they pleaded to spare someone from death row with a good case Thrall would send them back home.

With Garrosh's Horde I'm not so sure. He hasn't really been much of a friend to any other leader. If you are sentenced to death by the warchief, you're most probably going to die.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:08 AM

Demon Hunter

Quote:
well, if you challenge the warchief, they're probably going to accept. to decline would appear weak. and you can set whatever terms you want, as long as they agree, and again, a warchief that backed down on fear of losing their title would be shamed and ridiculed. getting challenges for the position of chieftain was pretty normal for old orcish clans, especially the more warmongering ones.

so in theory i would say that yes, you could challenge the warchief to get out of jail, then pardon yourself.
Old 11-28-2011, 10:29 AM

Elune

Quote:
Indeed, I'd change the title to "Warcraft legal systems" or some such.

Neither side really has an established legal system. It probably isnít touched upon much because players donít necessarily want to have to put an NPC on trial before they kill and loot it.

That said, I can think of at least one trial in lore Ė that of Tirion Fordring. It was kind of a sham though, and the jury consisted of various heads of state. I doubt that happens very often. Then again, we know that prisons exist (Stockades, Dalaran prisons, etc.). Who knows if they get fair trials? From the comic we know the Horde has prisons as well. Valeera was imprisoned on theft charges.

And of course, in the past weíve had intense debates on the property laws of Warcraft and how undeath affects inheritance rights as per the deeds in the Barov family. Basically, it came down the alliance believing that property rights are extinguished upon death, even if you come back, whereas the Forsaken obviously feel differently.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:28 AM

Eternal

Quote:
With Garrosh's Horde I'm not so sure. He hasn't really been much of a friend to any other leader. If you are sentenced to death by the warchief, you're most probably going to die.
Garrosh doesn't actully have any friends or family, no one he actully cares about or parallels between someone else to rule the horde over with. Varian has shown he can make packs with others like Genn, and show respect to the other leaders (after the events of wolfheart).
This is why I think when the alliance come a knocking at the hordes door with varian at the front, because of that lack of friendship orgrimmar has with the other races now, the hordes gonna be in deep crap.
Old 11-28-2011, 11:58 AM

Lord of the
Assassin's League
BattleTag: Sonneillon #1112

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurtogg_Bloodboil View Post
Indeed, I'd change the title to "Warcraft legal systems" or some such.
Fully agree, I clicked on this post ready to type "fuck you" over and over again until my fingers bled but was delightfully surprised.
Old 11-28-2011, 04:30 PM

Banished

Okay I changed it.