Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > Halls of Lordaeron

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #58101  
Old 09-03-2019, 02:37 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I am not claiming that unbiased links exists. I am pointing out that you were linking a conservative op-ed piece that linked to a conservative op-ed piece that linked to a report from a conservative watchdog group that was later debunked by investigators into the election. So we are not even talking about actual journalism. (Op-ed are opinion pieces.) It was just a rabbit hole of conservative fearmongering about a preliminary report that you failed to do any follow-up research into.
So, a bunch of Democrat "investigators" dismissed the fact that a thousand felons voted illegally in the election? Then, there's the fact that 177 felons were convicted of illegally voting in the Franken-Coleman race.

Quote:
It comes from actual facts, sources, and history, mate. We don't have to talk about any notions of "invisible Klansmen," just actual US policies.
And there's no actual "facts" to back up your claims of some great racist conspiracy against brown people to prevent them from voting. Unless you are willing to accuse vast swathes of "POCs" for being too stupid to know how to get proper identification to be eligible to vote.

Quote:
I don't think that this single incident somehow disproves a lack of racism when it comes to voting rights, laws, and suppression across elections. It's similar to how people declared that racism must be over since a black man was elected president. Yes, voter turnout was greater among blacks when the first black presidential candidate for a major political party in United States history was on the ticket in 2012. Also water is wet.
Wrong. What it proves is that there is no "racism" at all. If there were, Barack Obama never would have even made it onto the ballot, let alone becoming President. Also, Leftist scaremongering over non-existent "structural racism" is basically just paranoia taught in Social Science courses in college. Racism is not "power + privilege", and it certainly isn't a catch-all term for any level in inequality or structural problem. Going straight to "racism" as the reason is scaremongering.

Quote:
Part of the problem though is that this is about voter registration and lists but not about votes cast. For example, from the link, "2 million Americans who had died were still on the books as active voters." Chances are these people won't illegally vote, though election fraud happens in their name. But what about these groups:
As per your link, this is not some sort of vast conspiracy, it's mostly clerical and bureaucratic errors or people messing up on forms. How many people who are registered in more than one state are aware of that fact? How many of those people actually voted in different state elections? (FYI, being registered in multiple states is not a crime, though double-voting usually is. Double-voting is rare, but not unheard of.)
Clerical errors need to be eradicated merely because they damage trust in the integrity of voting, which is essential to a Republic.

Oh, and you keep linking that Desmoines Register story, so here's this: https://www.bizpacreview.com/2013/05...ng-fraud-73217

Quote:
I suspect that most of this is benign, a result of bureaucratic inefficiencies, errors, and up-to-date information, as well as misconceptions from voters themselves. This is pretty clear from your link:
What your link fails to say or establish anywhere is that these voter registration includes a significant number of illegal aliens. Also, nowhere does it suggest that somehow voter ID solves this issue. If I move to a new state, register to vote there without realizing that I'm still registered in my old state, and vote in my new state's election using my SSID card then I'm not sure how voter ID actually solves the issue you are yapping about.
Well, there's this.

Quote:
A 1996 federal law prohibits noncitizens from voting in federal elections, but there is no prohibition on localities, and indeed a number of jurisdictions allow it, to some extent.

Famously liberal Takoma Park, a small jurisdiction in Maryland, has for several decades allowed noncitizens, including illegal immigrants, to vote in local elections.

Experts say as many as 40 states or territories allowed noncitizen voting dating back to the nation’s founding.
I know it's not Federal, but it's a start. Start with the local politicians, and advance up.


Quote:
I don't think that people are opposed to cleaning up the registration lists for up-to-date records, though it should be done carefully such that actual eligible voters are not wrongfully removed from registration lists, which has been known to happen.
Agreed.

Quote:
I sometimes get the feeling that you are linking things without actually critically reading them past the headline.
That's mostly what happens. I get bored or distracted, and don't read the whole thing.

Quote:
I'm not sure how any of this has much actual basis or grounding in reality. I knew a number of people who were in the process of legally immigrating to the US, who couldn't vote but wanted to vote (though didn't yet) precisely because they cared about this country and its history.
Those are legal immigrants, though. They are often very fastidious with being patriotic and trying to do things the right way, almost always more so then even natural-born citizens.

Quote:
Also, many studies indicate that immigrants actually aren't anymore of a leech off of taxpayers than other citizens for a variety of reasons. A big one being the comparative number of years where a citizen is effectively a dependent, costs of education, etc.
There is a large difference between "legal" immigrants, and "illegal" immigrants. Immigrants follow the law, come in through ports of entry, and follow procedure to earn their way into our country and become legal citizens. Illegals piggyback across the border or on boats, and to stay in the country have to fake their identity in one way or another, while taking monetary handouts from the government.

Quote:
Illegal citizens are serving in Congress now?
I never stated that.

Quote:
I strongly suspect that you're talking entirely out of your ass with little actual knowledge or experience of the policies or issues facing San Francisco and the Bay Area.
Not really.

Left-wing policies lead to no one arresting the homeless people, and to letting Heroine and Meth use become tolerated. That leads to trash, feces, and drug needles littering the streets. The Left-wing high tax policies lead to housing and rent being too expensive for most people to pay for, people not being able to afford rent/housing leads to them becoming homeless, the more homelessness, the more drugs and feces on the streets.

You can see this exact same thing in every Left-wing enclave on the west coast or the east coast: repulsive amounts of crime and degredation, not being cleaned up because it would be "Fascist" or "intolerant" to clean up the bums and drugs.

Quote:
So do you want to stop gerrymandering or are you advocating for the situation to remain unchanged because it's "unstoppable, and entirely natural"?
Meh. You could stop it, and it would indeed help Democrats. They would pick up around 17 or so House seats with it gone. But that wouldn't be nearly enough to save the party from it's Progressive suicide. It's more that it wouldn't really matter if it was removed or not.

Quote:
I'm not sure why you keep bringing up Rome? Are you on a Rome fix?
Yes. I've been watching these:

Quote:
Have you been listening to white supremacists and white nationalists like Black Pigeon and Stefan Molyneux who use the fall of Rome as their false equivalences as claims about a supposed "fall" of (white) Euro-America?
Neither of those are "white nationalists" or "white supremacists" (at least no to my limited knowledge of them, as the Left always accuses anyone who doesn't agree with them as being "racist"). Actual "white supremacists" that I do know of, are guys like Richard Spencer or Ram Z. Paul. And, no, I haven't watched either of them (Pigeon I've never watched or gave a shit about, and Molyneux I haven't watched for many years since he claimed that anyone enjoying fictional violence was breaking some pacifistic hippie bullshit). I usually watch Sargon of Akkad (of whom has some really good videos detailing the Alt-Right and them being a racial identitarian group that is basically #BLM for white people), and Tim Pool, a moderate left-wing journalist.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #58102  
Old 09-03-2019, 03:30 PM
Anansi Anansi is offline

Master Worldbuilder
Anansi's Avatar
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: A Dying World
Posts: 18,136

Orb of Lightning

I hope everyone is enjoying the exercise Ganishka's return is affording them.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
And the HRE was a meme that went too far.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PajamaSalad View Post
You are pretty cool for being one of the bad guys.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I was probably just upset about the Horde fleet in the Second War.
Reply With Quote
  #58103  
Old 09-03-2019, 04:30 PM
Ganishka Ganishka is offline

Elune
Ganishka's Avatar
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Richland, WA
Posts: 8,297
BattleTag: Ganishka #1520

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I hope everyone is enjoying the exercise Ganishka's return is affording them.
I'm like a training dummy.
__________________

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Baras
A blind, deaf, comatose, lobotomy patient could feel MY ANGER!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadowordfun
The next time you feel like you're about to be triggered, put the barrel in your mouth.
Reply With Quote
  #58104  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:20 AM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,383

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Your phrasing allows for a variety of interpretations, McCarthy. When I first read you posting something like this, I had to run a quick Google search to make sure Russia wasn't reoccupying Alaska or anything. But yes, hyperbole.
Bullshit. It's clearly an attack. I don't know what else you could even try to classify it as.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
[nothing of note]
https://assets.documentcloud.org/doc...llerreport.pdf

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anansi View Post
I hope everyone is enjoying the exercise Ganishka's return is affording them.
I forgot he doesn't even bother pretending to argue in good faith. The guy would believe 2+2=Chair if some right-wing youtuber with a hard-on for Rome said it was.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #58105  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:44 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Bullshit. It's clearly an attack. I don't know what else you could even try to classify it as.
How many casualties?
Reply With Quote
  #58106  
Old 09-04-2019, 06:28 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ganishka View Post
So, a bunch of Democrat "investigators" dismissed the fact that a thousand felons voted illegally in the election? Then, there's the fact that 177 felons were convicted of illegally voting in the Franken-Coleman race.
I never said that the investigators were Democrats. The point is that not a thousand felons voted illegally in the election as per the report from the watchdog group. It was substantially smaller than the accusation. (Not sure where you got the 177 number from. Mind providing a source for that?) But saying that 177 felons voted illegally does not somehow mean that 177 felons illegally voted for Franken. This is again a gap in your argumentation that you fail to address.

Quote:
And there's no actual "facts" to back up your claims of some great racist conspiracy against brown people to prevent them from voting. Unless you are willing to accuse vast swathes of "POCs" for being too stupid to know how to get proper identification to be eligible to vote.
I have already linked earlier to a public admission in court from 2018 by NC Republicans about targeting the voting methods that blacks in the state often used. You are of course free to ignore that public testimony, though that would be of your own willful stupidity.

Quote:
Wrong. What it proves is that there is no "racism" at all.
So racism does not exist because if racism was a thing then he would not be on the ballot (of the Democratic Party)? That's like saying that there is not an opioid crisis, because if there was then everyone would be an opioid addict. It is logic that is almost too stupid beyond words or believe that any person who professes values of rationality, facts, and reason would earnestly believe, but here we are, and now we all have the great pleasure of hearing that "racism" cannot be a real thing because Obama was elected president.

Quote:
Clerical errors need to be eradicated merely because they damage trust in the integrity of voting, which is essential to a Republic.
Considering that these clerical errors surface due to issues such as electoral boards being understaffed, lacking insufficient funds, and the like, it would of course require a bigger government to properly address these issues.

Quote:
Oh, and you keep linking that Desmoines Register story,


I have linked it once and only once.

Quote:
Well, there's this.

I know it's not Federal, but it's a start. Start with the local politicians, and advance up.
The example given regarding such local elections were school boards:
Quote:
But Republicans had hoped to send a message to localities such as San Francisco, where noncitizens are now allowed to vote in school board elections.
Even if one were not a legal citizen (yet), I imagine that non-citizens living in an area may have an invested interest in who sits on the school board or other local elections. I don't think that it's unreasonable for residents to vote for local issues like this. I proudly remain a US citizen, but I wish that I could at least vote for local issues here in Vienna that impact my day-to-day life here as a legal, working resident.

Quote:
Those are legal immigrants, though. They are often very fastidious with being patriotic and trying to do things the right way, almost always more so then even natural-born citizens.
You had said including legal immigrants though.

Quote:
I never stated that.
We were talking about illegal immigrants voting, and you compared it to Julius Caesar putting loyalists in the Senate. You may not have stated that, but I am not sure how it would be equivalent unless Congress was being expanded with illegal citizens. But maybe you just learned a thing from those videos and wanted to regurgitate some Rome trivia without context or asking whether it was a parallel to the situation at all.

Quote:
Not really.

Left-wing policies lead to no one arresting the homeless people, and to letting Heroine and Meth use become tolerated. That leads to trash, feces, and drug needles littering the streets. The Left-wing high tax policies lead to housing and rent being too expensive for most people to pay for, people not being able to afford rent/housing leads to them becoming homeless, the more homelessness, the more drugs and feces on the streets.

You can see this exact same thing in every Left-wing enclave on the west coast or the east coast: repulsive amounts of crime and degredation, not being cleaned up because it would be "Fascist" or "intolerant" to clean up the bums and drugs.
If you honestly think that San Francisco is friendly to the homeless, I don't think we have anywhere close to the same experiences of the city. I also don't really think that you are diagnosing the actual issues well. You're just pointing to boogeyman of "high taxes," but has been more an issue of price control for housing and rent. These are things that allow housing retailers (hardly the lefty types) to drive up the prices for housing, because there is a demand (i.e., Silicon Valley "new money") that is willing to drive up the price. This pushes a lot of the property value up in the area. You are also ignoring that, on the whole, there has been a tremendous amount of growth in the population in Silicon Valley and the Bay Area as more people have moved there as a result of the tech boom starting the in '70s and '80s. It's far less about leftism and more about people gravitating towards affluent areas for opportunities, and state policies that have failed to care about it until the point that it became "Ugh! Homeless people in my city. Where did all these homeless people come from?"

It's not as if we can just blame "leftist" California either. Over half of its governors for the past forty some odd years have been Republicans. The widening of the housing costs of California against the national average began in the late '60s and early '70s. Who was California's governor then? Far leftist icon Ronald Reagan of course. Then there was Democrat Jerry Brown between '75 to '83, but he was followed by two Republican governors: George Deukmejian ('83-'91) and Pete Wilson ('91-'99), who was governor during California's housing crisis of the '90s. A one term Democrat: Gray Davis ('99-'03), who was recalled, paving the way for two term Republican Arnold Schwarzenegger ('03-'11). Since '11 there have been two Democratic governors: Jerry Brown (again, '11-'19) and Gavin Newsome ('19-present). If you want to blame the policies of the recent Democratic governors, that's far from accurate given how the California housing crisis was also an issue of the '90s. Blame the Republican's predecessor in the '80s? Wait, he was a Republican. For the past 40 years, California has voted in more Republican governors than Democratic ones.

Let me provide a point of contrast. I live in Vienna, Austria. I wager that the city is further left of San Francisco, apart from its love of smoking. Should I expect there to be a greater homeless problem here? From your rationale, yes. But it's the opposite. There is far less of one. This is not to say that there are no homeless, but it's a different attitude and there are different policies. One of the biggest ones are policies surrounding rent control and affordable housing in the city. There are also higher taxes as well. There are a lot of programs to help the homeless as well. There is a periodical that the homeless sell on the streets. (Every Viennese person I know has their preferred "Augustine dealer.") There are even clinics and hospitals that will test how clean illegal drugs brought to them are and provide people with clean needles. The logic being that while they are illegal, they would prefer that it's done in a manner that does not cause further medical problems. Despite this sort of openness, Vienna is not littered in needles. (Vienna has had Socialist mayors since 1945, with Michael Häupl serving from '94 to '18.)

Quote:
Meh. You could stop it, and it would indeed help Democrats. They would pick up around 17 or so House seats with it gone. But that wouldn't be nearly enough to save the party from it's Progressive suicide. It's more that it wouldn't really matter if it was removed or not.
So you are admitting that gerrymandering is real that is unfairly and disproportionately favoring Republicans? That's a step.

Quote:
Yes. I've been watching these:
They're fun videos. Yet for someone who loves history, it amazes me how you can be so eager to turn a blind eye to American history and its rampant racism even post-slavery and post-Civil Rights Act. It's not as if there is a shortage of YouTube videos that actually explain this using cited sources.

Quote:
Neither of those are "white nationalists" or "white supremacists" (at least no to my limited knowledge of them,
Stefan Molyneux regularly hosts and promotes white supremacists on his channels. He regularly promotes white supremacist and white nationalist talking points on his own accord. He claimed to be an "empiricist," and not a "white nationalist," but then after a trip to Poland where he glorified how the whiteness of the area made him feel safe, the self-professed "empiricist" claims to at least be receptive to listening to "white nationalists." That is Grade A double-speak. He has also identified as a "race realist," which is dog-whistle code for "white supremacist."

Black Pigeon is also a "race realist" member of the alt-right who advocated in nation-wide segregation in the US based on marginal differences in IQ scores in white Americans and black Americans as well as promoting Jewish conspiracies regarding banking and globalism.

Quote:
I usually watch Sargon of Akkad
...who is a certified racist, misogynistic dumbass and an utter joke who claims that he is a "moderate" but circulates alt-right, far right, and white supremacist talking points, such as circulating Unite the Right manufactured conspiracy theories about how the Charlottesville victim dying of a heart attack and not by being hit from a freaking car that was crashing into her. Oh, and showing up on utter nutjob, conspiracy theorist Alex Jones's show? Not a good look for a "moderate rationalist."

I'm surprised that he is still being circulated with any earnest sincerity. Carl is part of UKIP, a party that was deemed so open to courting racists, xenophobes, Nazis, and white supremacists (e.g., Tommy Robinson, Mark Meechan, etc.) that even Nigel Farage left the party. It's not as if he doesn't have an alternative for an Independent UK, since there is the current leadership of the Tories and Nigel Farage started the Brexit party that is out-performing UKIP. Carl may claim to be moderate and hate the alt-right, but what he says sure attracts a lot of them as part of his core audience.

Last edited by Genesis; 09-15-2019 at 09:12 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #58107  
Old 09-04-2019, 07:30 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
How many casualties?
At least your common sense apparently. It's not exactly some sort of esoteric secret that we speak about attacks in regards to "cyberattacks," a context where reasonable people don't expect or demand casualty lists from others, particularly when it comes to election interference. It seems disingenuous (or maybe just stupid) that one would construe Kawkwakas's use of "attack," a clear contextual metoynymic shorthand for "cyberattack," as some sort of belligerent state of armed conflict. I think you are behaving a little unreasonably here, BaronGrackle.
Reply With Quote
  #58108  
Old 09-04-2019, 09:43 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
At least your common sense apparently. It's not exactly some sort of esoteric secret that we speak about attacks in regards to "cyberattacks," a context where reasonable people don't expect or demand casualty lists from others, particularly when it comes to election interference. It seems disingenuous (or maybe just stupid) that one would construe Kawkwakas's use of "attack," a clear contextual metoynymic shorthand for "cyberattack," as some sort of belligerent state of armed conflict. I think you are behaving a little unreasonably here, BaronGrackle.
Genesis, you don't necessarily HAVE to pay attention to conversations before responding, but it'll save you a little trouble and a little face if you do.

My entire point was that Kak is using language generally reserved for armed physical conflict (i.e. "The United States is under attack!") to describe cyber attacks. He responded that was bullshit, which indicates he is pretending to not understand the difference.

If you want to pretend to not understand the difference as well, then by all means continue. Tell me about how Russia declared war by getting Trump on SNL or the Jimmy Fallon show, or how they mind-washed Americans not to care that he grabs women by the pussy. Tell me it was Russia who got Hillary on the Democratic ticket to guarantee a weaker, generally unpopular opponent. Big bad Russia made Trump our president.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-04-2019 at 09:50 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #58109  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:24 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Genesis, you don't necessarily HAVE to pay attention to conversations before responding, but it'll save you a little trouble and a little face if you do.

My entire point was that Kak is using language generally reserved for armed physical conflict (i.e. "The United States is under attack!") to describe cyber attacks. He responded that was bullshit, which indicates he is pretending to not understand the difference.

If you want to pretend to not understand the difference as well, then by all means continue. Tell me about how Russia declared war by getting Trump on SNL or the Jimmy Fallon show, or how they mind-washed Americans not to care that he grabs women by the pussy. Tell me it was Russia who got Hillary on the Democratic ticket to guarantee a weaker, generally unpopular opponent. Big bad Russia made Trump our president.
I am aware of your point - so you are only repeating yourself here - but I still think that you are wrong, and I have explained why. If you want to pretend not to understand that point, then please proceed as usual. I don't particularly care about arguing about Russian interference into the 2016 election. My point is that I think that you are being uncharacteristically intellectually disingenuous in your reading of Kawkwakas's use of "attack" in this context.
Reply With Quote
  #58110  
Old 09-04-2019, 10:48 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
I am aware of your point - so you are only repeating yourself here - but I still think that you are wrong, and I have explained why.
I missed that part. Could you link back to where you explain that cyber attacks and trolling are roughly equivalent to physical military attacks?

Because my point was related to that.
Reply With Quote
  #58111  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:13 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I missed that part. Could you link back to where you explain that cyber attacks and trolling are roughly equivalent to physical military attacks?

Because my point was related to that.
Sure, but that is not what Kakwakas said, though that is certainly your strawman position:
Quote:
It seems disingenuous (or maybe just stupid) that one would construe Kawkwakas's use of "attack," a clear contextual metoynymic shorthand for "cyberattack," as some sort of belligerent state of armed conflict.
And if you look on, for example, the Wikipedia page about the Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections - that thing that Kakwakas was talking about - then you can see that they use both "cyberattacks" and "attacks" interchangeably because y'know, they figure that people of average intelligence or modicum of good faith can figure this basic shit out on their own, though apparently that is assuming too much.
Reply With Quote
  #58112  
Old 09-04-2019, 11:25 AM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Sure, but that is not what Kakwakas said, though that is certainly your strawman position:
And if you look on, for example, the Wikipedia page about the Russian interference in the 2016 United States elections - that thing that Kakwakas was talking about - then you can see that they use both "cyberattacks" and "attacks" interchangeably because y'know, they figure that people of average intelligence or modicum of good faith can figure this basic shit out on their own, though apparently that is assuming too much.
Sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
The United States is under attack from Russia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Your phrasing allows for a variety of interpretations
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Bullshit.
We're under attack from Russia. Only one clear interpretation. There you go.
Reply With Quote
  #58113  
Old 09-04-2019, 12:57 PM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
We're under attack from Russia. Only one clear interpretation. There you go.
Sorry, but I genuinely don't get that impression from what Kakwakas wrote, especially when you went in - almost logic ad absurdum - making the far-reaching exaggerated claim that Kakwakas must mean that Russia had invaded us when it was fairly clear the obvious from context - again, assuming that you were approaching this with any good faith, any at all - pertained to the Russian interference in US elections. But I apologize, because it's clear that one-upping Kakwakas on this trivial matter is a hill worth dying on for you, and I should not get in the way of your Pickett's Charge.
Reply With Quote
  #58114  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:18 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
Sorry, but I genuinely don't get that impression from what Kakwakas wrote, especially when you went in - almost logic ad absurdum - making the far-reaching exaggerated claim that Kakwakas must mean that Russia had invaded us when it was fairly clear the obvious from context - again, assuming that you were approaching this with any good faith, any at all - pertained to the Russian interference in US elections. But I apologize, because it's clear that one-upping Kakwakas on this trivial matter is a hill worth dying on for you, and I should not get in the way of your Pickett's Charge.
My Alaskan invasion comment was an exaggeration, true. Yet, I did run a quick search to make sure there hadn't been a spy plane shot down, or a proxy incident in Syria, or something akin. So not purely disingenuous. You can call it absurd. But so help us, we have actual body counts from contemporary events going on (e.g. good ol' whiteboy fuckheads shooting places up). Actual situations that would better qualify for the "America is under attack" title. LITERAL attacks, not figurative. So maybe consider it an appeal to perspective.

Meanwhile (and unrelated, yes), I've heard plenty Democrats argue that their party shoehorned Hillary into the primary and stole it from Bernie. I don't think it was Russian misinformation that convinced them of such. Usually when Wikileaks happen, people treat the perpetrators as heroes.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-04-2019 at 01:34 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58115  
Old 09-04-2019, 01:39 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,383

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
I missed that part. Could you link back to where you explain that cyber attacks and trolling are roughly equivalent to physical military attacks?

Because my point was related to that.
An attack on a nation's elections is an attack on its sovereignty. They have us completely by the balls because conservatives will do nothing.

"In addition to targeting individuals involved in the Clinton Campaign, GRU officers also targeted individuals and entities involved in the administration of the elections. Victims included U.S. state and local entities, such as state boards of elections (SBOEs), secretaries of state, and county governments, as well as individuals who worked for those entities. The GRU also targeted private technology firms responsible for manufacturing and administering election-related software and hardware, such as voter registration software and electronic polling stations.

The GRU continued to target these victims through the elections in November 2016. While the investigation identified evidence that the GRU targeted these individuals and entities, the Office did not investigate further. The Office did not, for instance, obtain or examine servers or other relevant items belonging to these victims. The Office understands that the FBI, the U.S. Department of Homeland Security, and the states have separately investigated that activity.

By at least the summer of 2016, GRU officers sought access to state and local computer networks by exploiting known software vulnerabilities on websites of state and local governmental entities. GRU officers, for example, targeted state and local databases of registered voters using a technique known as “SQL injection,” by which malicious code was sent to the state or local website in order to run commands (such as exfiltrating the database contents).
In one instance in approximately June 2016, the GRU compromised the computer network of the Illinois State Board of Elections by exploiting a vulnerability in the SBOE’s website. The GRU then gained access to a database containing information on millions of registered Illinois voters, and extracted data related to thousands of U.S. voters before the malicious activity was identified.

■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ ■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■■ Similar ■■■■■■■■■ for vulnerabilities continued through the election.

Unit 74455 also sent spearphishing emails to public officials involved in election administration and personnel at companies involved in voting technology. In August 2016, GRU officers targeted employees of ■■■■■■■■■, a voting technology company that developed software used by numerous U.S. counties to manage voter rolls, and installed malware on the company network. Similarly, in November 2016, the GRU sent spearphishing emails to over 120 email accounts used by Florida county officials responsible for administering the 2016 U.S. election. The spearphishing emails contained an attached Word document coded with malicious software (commonly referred to as a Trojan) that permitted the GRU to access the infected computer. The FBI was separately responsible for this investigation. We understand the FBI believes that this operation enabled the GRU to gain access to the network of at least one Florida county government. The Office did not independently verify that belief and, as explained above, did not undertake the investigative steps that would have been necessary to do so."
Source

And of course that's not all.

"Russian cyber actors in the summer of 2016 conducted online research and reconnaissance to identify vulnerable databases, usernames, and passwords in webpages of a broader number of state and local websites than previously identified, bringing the number of states known to be researched by Russian actors to greater than 40. Despite gaps in our data where some states appear to be untouched by Russian activities, we have moderate confidence that Russian actors likely conducted at least reconnaissance against all US states based on the methodical nature of their research. This newly available information corroborates our previous assessment and enhances our understanding of the scale and scope of Russian operations to understand and exploit state and local election networks."
Source

It really does seem like at this point, the best thing for America would be if China hacked our systems and gave us a landslide DNC win. If you're listening, China, hack those machines!
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-04-2019 at 01:50 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58116  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:04 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
An attack on a nation's elections is an attack on its sovereignty. They have us completely by the balls because conservatives will do nothing.
. . .
It really does seem like at this point, the best thing for America would be if China hacked our systems and gave us a landslide DNC win. If you're listening, China, hack those machines!
Knew I could depend on you.

Bad as it is, this looks like information being stolen, not changed. Doesn't the Mueller report say no votes were actually altered?
Reply With Quote
  #58117  
Old 09-04-2019, 02:26 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,383

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaronGrackle View Post
Knew I could depend on you.
Hey, you know me. I'm a patriot that cares about America.

Quote:
Bad as it is, this looks like information being stolen, not changed. Doesn't the Mueller report say no votes were actually altered?
It looks like they never really investigated it further. Mind you, we do have plenty of issues with voter rolls being selectively purged, issues with voter registrations seemingly disappearing, etc. Whenever there's an attempt to look into potential vote manipulation further (in the instances where tampering may actually leave evidence behind), stuff like this happens.
There's also the matter of things that nobody ever really even bothered to look at until recently. A ton of electronic voting machines have been found to be connected to the internet and comically easy to hack. Of course, these are the same voting machines that republicans are fighting to keep instead of having paper ballots.
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #58118  
Old 09-04-2019, 03:03 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Hey, you know me. I'm a patriot that cares about America.



It looks like they never really investigated it further. Mind you, we do have plenty of issues with voter rolls being selectively purged, issues with voter registrations seemingly disappearing, etc. Whenever there's an attempt to look into potential vote manipulation further (in the instances where tampering may actually leave evidence behind), stuff like this happens.
There's also the matter of things that nobody ever really even bothered to look at until recently. A ton of electronic voting machines have been found to be connected to the internet and comically easy to hack. Of course, these are the same voting machines that republicans are fighting to keep instead of having paper ballots.
I'd love secure, possibly paper ballots. Though it does weird me out that Trump supposedly favors them while Mitch's gang are the ones standing against them.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.cnn...ess/index.html

Of course, I also support stronger voter ID laws, and anything that can clean up absentee voting fraud. I don't feel these are mutually exclusive.

. . .

But regarding my comments to your phrasing earlier... I think Trump has made me sick of bombast and superlatives in general. The crisis is here, the crisis is now! The biggest and worst ever, so very yuuuge! That's how that man talks. It probably helped get him elected. Perhaps I'll be less tense if/when we get a less theatrical chief executive.
Reply With Quote
  #58120  
Old 09-11-2019, 05:54 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,383

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

In true spirit of the scum that they are, republicans in NC skipped a 9/11 memorial ceremony so that they could jam through some legislation while their opposition was at it. The two parties had an agreement to not pass any legislation that day in order to attend. Of course, conservatives can never be trusted to be true to their word.
https://abc11.com/politics/nc-house-...oting/5531411/

Why do conservatives hate America so much?
__________________
Member #14

Last edited by Kakwakas; 09-11-2019 at 05:57 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58121  
Old 09-11-2019, 06:15 PM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

These are the SAME PEOPLE who sought to disenfranchise black voters in NC and caught gerrymandering along racial lines, people.
Reply With Quote
  #58122  
Old 09-11-2019, 07:56 PM
BaronGrackle BaronGrackle is offline

Echo of the Past
BaronGrackle's Avatar
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Texas, USA
Posts: 15,162

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genesis View Post
These are the SAME PEOPLE who sought to disenfranchise black voters in NC and caught gerrymandering along racial lines, people.
I don't know why North Carolina is trying so hard to make a name for itself in modern times.

EDIT: But they're still behind Texas on white nationalist mass shootings. They better step it up a notch, if they want top billing.

Last edited by BaronGrackle; 09-11-2019 at 08:00 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #58123  
Old 09-16-2019, 07:37 PM
Kakwakas Kakwakas is offline

Elune
Kakwakas's Avatar
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: US
Posts: 8,383

Darkmoon Card: Elementals

Looks like Russia hacked some FBI comm systems.
https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-rus...090024212.html
__________________
Member #14
Reply With Quote
  #58124  
Old 09-17-2019, 03:15 AM
Genesis Genesis is offline

Guru of Gilneas
Join Date: Mar 2010
Posts: 13,277

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kakwakas View Post
Looks like Russia hacked some FBI comm systems.
https://news.yahoo.com/exclusive-rus...090024212.html
How could this possibly have happened? Donald Trump assured us that Barron's cyber skills could handle this.
Reply With Quote
  #58125  
Old 09-17-2019, 11:37 AM
ARM3481 ARM3481 is offline

Loremaster
ARM3481's Avatar
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 9,561

Default

I'm always a little bit torn about them reporting such things.

On one hand, it's often good to have information about governmental goings-on available for the public's assessment.

On the other hand...aren't we kind of helping foreign powers troubleshoot their own intelligence services' methods whenever we loudly broadcast finding out when, where and how they were hacking or spying on us?
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
politics, serious business, sylvanas for president

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:17 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions Inc.