Scrolls of Lore Forums  

Go Back   Scrolls of Lore Forums > Scrolls of Lore > General Discussion

Old 12-06-2016, 08:28 AM

Eternal

Peter Vaughan, the guy who played Maester Amon, is dead.
Old 12-06-2016, 09:21 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Darkmoon Card: Heroism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gromak View Post
Talented man.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:14 AM

World Builder

Quote:
Goddamnit 2016

My Worldbuilding:
http://bloodinkworlds.tumblr.com/
Old 12-06-2016, 11:50 AM

Banished

Quote:
DELETE THIS

Dislike, nice chap by all accounts.
Old 12-06-2016, 11:57 AM

Eternal Watcher
BattleTag: Yaskaleh#1817

2016 continues as the Year the Stars Fell.

Say no to genocide!
Save the Nightborne!
Old 12-07-2016, 06:59 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Haste 'When he saw all the green and purple beards he hailed them in the tongue of Tyrosh'

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
I did not expect less from Euaario fans.

/teeth grinding
Come at me, Baratheon. Its 1-0 to me about the Others being First Men (if the TV series is any indication)

Based on the textual evidence, its just not an outrageous claim to say that Euron is the captain of the Stormcrows.
Old 12-29-2016, 09:28 AM

Elune

Promise me, Shaman.

Old 01-09-2017, 03:28 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Panda Manual

Been a while since I've read/listened to some ASoIaF chapters, so I'm thinking I might compile another collection of sources and textual evidence on a topic/character I haven't researched before. I'm thinking I'll probably do one on the Clegane brothers or the Deep Ones and then post the collection somewhere online.

Although I've never thoroughly examined the White Walkers or this new High Septon yet, so I might dive into them. The Blackfyres are another subject I've never spent much time on but Aegon and Connington just don't terribly interest me so I doubt it'll be them.

Last edited by Shaman; 01-09-2017 at 03:31 PM..
Old 01-12-2017, 09:30 AM

Elune

IS DUH A MAYSTUH?!
Old 01-12-2017, 04:22 PM

Eternal

Didn't Gurm nip that in the bud already when Preston Jacobs asked him about it?

I mean, I wouldn't mind it. Hell, my Targaryen Star Empire in Stellaris is based on the idea.
But I don't think it's true.
Hammerbrew commenting on Anders Behring Breivik's killing spree - 2017
Old 01-12-2017, 06:49 PM

Elune

Quote:
Originally Posted by spidey1980 View Post
Didn't Gurm nip that in the bud already when Preston Jacobs asked him about it?

I mean, I wouldn't mind it. Hell, my Targaryen Star Empire in Stellaris is based on the idea.
But I don't think it's true.
Not really. He just talked about salad dressing.
Old 01-20-2017, 12:30 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Fire

I think I've discovered an in-universe miscommunication that may have some implications for Princess Shireen being burned at the stake. In ADWD Jon V, Stannis has his final conversation with Jon where the Lord Commander convinces him to abandon the scheme to attack the Dreadford (which would have been an ambush) and to instead win the loyalty of the north-western mountain clans. Their exchange ends with this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWD; Jon V
"Proud. Poor. Prickly where their honor is concerned but fierce fighters."

"This had best not be some bastard's trick. Will I trade three hundred fighters for three thousand? Aye, I will. I am not an utter fool. If I leave the girl with you as well, do I have your word that you will keep our princess closely?"

She is not a princess. "As you wish, Your Grace."
Jon (and therefore the leader) interprets Stannis' words to mean the wildling 'princess' Val because she was discussed far earlier in the conversation - hence why Jon thinks she is not a princess. But this could be a misunderstanding - Stannis might have been speaking about his own daughter here.

Stannis then replies with:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibid^
"Do I need to make you swear an oath before a tree?"

"No." Was that a jape? With Stannis, it was hard to tell.
'Our princess' is of such personal significance to Stannis that he wants Jon's word that she will be protected, which is odd because at that moment the wildlings or Val aren't even being discussed. Him referring to his own daughter Shireen though as 'the girl' could just be explained away by Stannis' particularly blunt way of speaking - and general lack of social skills.

So if he was talking about Shireen there, then he either wants to genuinely ensure the welfare of his daughter at that moment there - or he has already given prior-instructions to Melisandre to sacrifice her if she sees his defeat in her fires!
Old 01-20-2017, 02:24 AM

Arch-Druid

Stannis ordered one of his close knights to gather an army and take the Iron Throne for his daughter or die tryin' should Stannis himself perish. His nickname was Knight-who-smiles or something like that. With that in mind, dont think Stannis mens to burn Shireen, if he wants the throne for her, even if he is dead
Old 01-20-2017, 06:11 AM

Banished

I'm pretty sure Shireen's burning and the Green Trial are gonna be in the books.

A question, does anyone actually believe Stannis can get in the throne?
Old 01-20-2017, 07:24 AM

Elune

Tbh Shireen has always been set up as a Cherkov's Gun to tip Stannis over the edge and Selyse has always been set up as the gunman from the start. I don't think it's going to be some huge twist when she burns her after news of Stannis' 'death' arrives at the Wall. In the show they just gave her a 180 change of heart because "DUDE WHO WOULD EXPECT THE CRUEL MOTHER TO BE THE ONE TO STOP HER BEING BURNT LMAO" since in the DnD 'verse consistent characterisation comes secondary to DUDE SHOCKING TWIST LMAO.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
A question, does anyone actually believe Stannis can get in the throne?
I think he's got a better shot than a lot of other characters. Most characters in the book and most readers - even his own fandom - think he's fucked. If anything, that puts the odds in his favour. I don't think he's just going to abruptly die during the Battle of Ice as it would make his entire character arc completely redundant save for helping the Night's Watch out once and with two books left I really don't think GRRM is going to pen a THIRD Battle of Winterfell with Jon if Stannis fails. Personally, I think he's going to end up becoming the next Lord-Commander. His entire arc is about duty above all else, he's one of Westeros' best military minds, he'd end up with hundreds of 'sons'. It's like pottery.

Last edited by Drusus; 01-20-2017 at 07:35 AM..
Old 01-24-2017, 01:54 AM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Lightning

Jon's characterization of 'the others' here (the more experienced rangers in his party) also doubles up as an accurate description of the White Walkers:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADWD; Jon VII
The others were good men too. Good men in a fight, at least, and loyal to their brothers. Jon could not speak for what they might have been before they reached the Wall, but he did not doubt that most had pasts as black as their cloaks. Up here, they were the sort of men he wanted at his back. Their hoods were raised against the biting wind, and some had scarves wrapped about their faces, hiding their features. Jon knew them, though. Every name was graven on his heart. They were his men, his brothers.
Old 02-01-2017, 05:56 AM

Banished

Who do you think is gonna end up King/Queen in the end?

I think Sansa. Because i don't see Jon wanting the throne, Dany surviving or the rest actually having a shot getting it (including Stannis)

Would you be interested in a trade agreement with the Seven Kingdoms?

Last edited by GenyaArikado; 02-01-2017 at 06:13 AM..
Old 02-02-2017, 05:18 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Human Icon (War3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by GenyaArikado View Post
Who do you think is gonna end up King/Queen in the end?

I think Sansa. Because i don't see Jon wanting the throne, Dany surviving or the rest actually having a shot getting it (including Stannis)
As best I understand what I think to be George's intent, I am not sure that there is going to be an Iron Throne by the end of the end of his books. One of the general themes of this series has been that while the petty lords squabble over their game of thrones, true threats and real human suffering have gone unnoticed and unattended by the feudal powers. So the question of who will sit on the throne doesn't really matter because it has no power by itself.

And there's likely to be a whole string of rival pretenders who end up seizing King's Landing before the books are done.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:32 PM

Banished

Oh i know, thats why i said "the throne" instead of "the iron throne". And ofc i'm working on the assumption the Seven Kingdoms don't split or something like that. While not the point, in the end there will always be a king or queen (again, assuming they don't split)
Old 02-02-2017, 05:36 PM

Elune

I think Sansa will stay in the vale to take over her aunt's role. I just hope Harry the heir doesn't turn out to be a crazy rapist bastard like Ramsay.
Old 02-02-2017, 05:52 PM

Banished

I might sound SJWish but in Westeros i want a queen not just because i like them better, but because the other 6 kingdoms need to cut the sexist shit and get into Dorne level at least. Dany might break the old wheel but someone needs to make the new model.

Besides you'll know you want this
Old 02-02-2017, 06:00 PM

Elune

Danny is a horrible queen though. Slaver's bay is a war torn shithole because of her.
Old 02-02-2017, 06:04 PM

Banished

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeBlader View Post
Danny is a horrible queen though. Slaver's bay is a war torn shithole because of her.
I know. Thats why i said "someone needs to make the new model" and suggested Sansa previously.
Old 02-06-2017, 05:23 PM

Elune

The Preston is back in full force. I both hate and love this man.

Sansa: Come on Ser Dontos!

CIA: Uh you don't get to bring friends.

Dontos: This can't be happening I'm in ch*BLARGH*

Sansa: There were dwarves there and Joffrey made Tyrion dance with them but he didn't want to.

CIA: I hired them to raise scorn between the two.

Sansa: Joffrey is dead and everyone suspects Tyrion poisoned him.

CIA: Wha...Yeah I totally did that too.

AAAAAAHHHHH
Old 02-09-2017, 12:49 PM

Site Staff - Admin

Orb of Slow

I've stumbled upon an old French folktale from the 17th century that seems to have directly inspired one of the stories in George's books. There was a young and beautiful girl who falls in love with this older and charismatic wealthy man. The man has a reputation for violence and is always away from home, but the young girl ends up marrying him anyway. She moves into his large mansion mansion and he gives her a key that will open any door in his home, but he gives her strict instructions to never open the door to the basement. The man leaves to go on one of his mysterious trips and so the young girl decides to explore the house. She creeps down into the basement, opens the locked door and discovers dozens of corpses of young women - hung up on meat-hooks; half-cannibalized. She turns around and discovers her husband standing there; ready to kill her too! But thankfully the young woman's siblings arrive in time to save her - the man is killed and she marries again; this time into a happy marriage.

And do you want to know the name of the badman in this old French folk tale? Bluebeard! Dun dun dun!

Tags
game of thrones, literature, no one survives, song of ice and fire, spoilers, trickster's tag, trolling